The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Tracking

+19
jfs556
leestu
aquamann2001
Keyser Soze
thswrestler160
Nycguy84
J.I.
transformers2
nickb1016
undeadmonkey
Spectre
W
Shrykespeare
Buscemi
geezer9687
BanksIsDaFuture
brockman81
BarcaRulz
JackO
23 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Tracking - Page 6 Empty Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Tracking

Post by brockman81 Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:56 pm

Geezer wrote:

Terminator Salvation was better

...says the guy w/ the T2 picture for his avatar.

BTW...I disagree with your statement Smile
brockman81
brockman81
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Tracking - Page 6 Empty Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Tracking

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:24 am

JackO wrote:I repeat, RDJ in blackface isn't racist but CGI robots are?

It doesn't even matter, because Revenge of the Fallen is going to gross over 400 million. I truly feel sorry for the suckers who took Harry Potter.

Everyone associated with Tropic Thunder made it a point to make people know that RDJ's role wasn't in jest of Black people, it was in jest of over the top Method actors. It's not the Black things he's saying, it's the fact that this Australian actor is soooo deep into character, he forgets he isn't Black. That's what was supposed to be funny about the role.

And with that huge drop from Wed to Thurs, ROTF will not hit $400M.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Early Friday Estimates:

Transformers $35 million (exactly what I predicted for Friday)
My Sister's Keeper $5 million

This puts Transformers at $124 million in three days (the fourth biggest three-day start ever). Meanwhile, Nikki "I'm Right Even When I'm Wrong" Finke at Republican, err, Deadline Hollywood Daily believes that it's going to $71 million in the next two days. I'd hate to break it to you Nikki, but that's not going to happen. This one is basically your run of the mill sequel and when that happens, it's bound to drop on Saturday. Besides, the Wednesday opening will also prevent such a rise from happening. The best that the next two days could bring it is another $60 million. However, I'll stick with my guess of $54 million.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectre Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:39 pm

At least this forum has usernames, otherwise I'd never be able to tell Buscemi and Banks' posts apart in this thread. Laughing

Guys, it's OK to come to grips with the fact that a movie of less than cinematic excellence is blowing the box office to pieces. Underpredicting it isn't going to magically change that fact.
Spectre
Spectre
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:03 pm

I think it'll pass the $200M 5 day gross
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Spectre wrote:Underpredicting it isn't going to magically change that fact.

Well, I can hope, can't I? Razz
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:17 pm

Can someone please let me know which sign of the Apocalypse this many people going to see Transformers and The Hangover is? I realize we should all be going to see The Hurt Locker, My Sister's Keeper and Whatever Works , you know, so that people all over the world won't think we're all mindless entertainment watching dweebs, but guess what, I'm pretty sure folks all over the world will are watching Transformers too. Not every Summer blockbuster has to be or even can be Dark Knight. That may be a once a decade type flick which is why it is the 2nd highest grossing film of all time. You're not going to get a big budget movie that is also a cinematic masterpiece every Summer. Sure it set the bar even higher for what a Summer blockbuster can be, but most Summer flicks are going to fall short. Hell, even Iron Man wasn't as good as Dark Knight, but we still iked it.

I just don't understand the vitriol for folks that happened to enjoy Trannies 2 because some of you happened not to like it (Or even despised it). Did I think it was perfect? No. Did I think there were things in the movie that either could have been done better or left out all together? Yes. That's why when I weighed the pros and cons of what I saw on the screen, I gave it a 7.5 It just seems like some here on the board think that those of us who enjoyed it should either be put on some sort of Double Secret Probation at best or taken out behind the wood shed and shot at worst.

Being upset at what it's box office numbers are or trying to rationalize why you think it will tank going forward when it has given no early signs of that happening aren't going to make the movie any better, make you detest it any less, make the general public who seem to be lapping it up like it any less or even feel shame for liking it or influence the numbers downward. It's okay to dislike a movie, but just remember, it's just your opinion.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:29 pm

I agree with all that, I just can't personally fathom how anyone can like it. But I wouldn't lump the incredible The Hangover with Transformers 2.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:33 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I agree with all that, I just can't personally fathom how anyone can like it. But I wouldn't lump the incredible The Hangover with Transformers 2.

Why? Wasn't that just more Summer mindless entertainment?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:23 pm

Keyser I completely agree with you. My personal gripes with the film stem from my own expectations of what I thought it would be. The first Transformers is in my top 15 films of all time. A 10 of the highest level. I also gave this a 7.5, which isn't that bad, just average, which is not what I wanted from the sequel to what I consider a masterpiece.

The Dark Knight has spoiled us all. We are all going to expect better from our blockbusters from here on out. Are we going to get that every time? No, of course not, but we are still going to complain about it when we don't. Complaining is what these boards generally exist for.

You can't really take Buscemi's box office predictions seriously, every film he dislikes or doesn't understand why other people like it he bashes and says it is going to fail. I think Banks is just very bitter that he actually sat through the film. I don't think anyone actually thinks the film is just going to crash and burn the rest of the way and fail to hit 300 million or anything like that. Well, maybe Buscemi, but he doesn't have the best track record.

And yes, The Hangover was just more mindless Summer Entertainment. Which just goes to show you how much of a matter of opinion this whole argument is.

So everyone, just go see Up again, because that is the film of the summer Very Happy
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:41 pm

There's been a few of us on these posts who have said far more than "it's mindless entertainment, and therefore bad yadda yadda yadda"...why is it TF2 fans don't answer on some of those topics and keep saying that it's entertainment we're against?
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:06 pm

So other than your percerption of the "Twins" being racist (Again, your perception), what other problems did you have with the movie, or has that one issue overridden everything else?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:22 am

My perception? Are you saying they weren't?

Also, it's MSNBC's perception as well as many others. And, maybe not to you, but to some of us, that is a big enough issue to override many others. I guess you don't agree, but I have a big problem with racism, bigotry, and stereotypes...but I guess some on here don't. It's just something I can't look past...once again, I'm in the minority here I guess.

Although it does show me where you stand, I guess. If you don't care about issues like that, then there's nothing else you would care about that can be discussed.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:28 am

Gee, and when sitcoms make the white father of the family out to be the idiot while the mom and kids are obviously the smarter ones, do you get upset by this stereotype? When the Wayans Brothers dress up like stupid "White Chicks", does this bother you? When the character of Hesch was made out to be your typical stereotype of a Jewish shylock on The Sopranos, did that bother you? It's all about perception and what you let bother you. I don't have any problem with there being things that bother you. Please just don't be telling me which things should bother me.

And please, for god's (Or as someone on here put so elegantly the other day - Donte, was it you? - your imaginary friend's) sake, don't use MSNBC as a barometer of anything. If they had their way, this wouldn't be a country I'd want to live in.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:55 am

First of all, both Banks and I mentioned the inherent racism before the article came out, but the fact that others realized it just confirms what is there. Second, to you questions about other shows...the first show you say nothing specific, so I won't comment, but the Sopranos used stereotypical characters to break the mold they are usually put in. It's about a mob boss (who is portrayed typically) going to a therapist to deal with "mommy issues" (taking the portrayal out of the stereotype)...I actually wrote a paper on this topic in undergrad. As for White Chicks...well, I've only seen bits and pieces on starz and even that was years ago, so I can't say much without seeing it, but the Wayan's have commented on race with their work in the past, so it may very well be doing that.

And yes, i am a fucking asshole for thinking that inherent bigotry of one race over another effects everyone. Well, excuse the fucking hell out of me.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 am

I could list any number of sit coms from the Cosby Show to Home Improvement to Malcolm in the Middle where the father was always made to look like the idiot.

Do the Wayans Brothers comments on race in their work have any more validity than Michael's Bay's response to the criticism of "The Twins"?

I would love to know what you wrote in your paper about the character of Hesch.

Most people (And I'm making a mass generalization here) only see bigotry and stereotypes when it is against them. They usually never see them when they are made against others.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:38 am

And others, like me, don't give a damn about whether or not they were racist, just that they were stupid as hell and detracted from my enjoyment of the film, because every time they were on screen they made me want a giant robot to blow them to hell just to shut them up because they were so pointless and annoying, but it never happened. You take them out of the film, it would probably raise my grade a full point. At least.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:41 am

I didnt really mind them they didnt add anything to the film but they didnt really take away from it. Saying its racist is just stupid. Its a fucking robot.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:43 am

A robot that speaks street, has a gold tooth and can't read. That, my friend, is a caricature.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:55 am

So, all robots can read, or just giant ones with big guns?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:02 am

Robots have those big CPU's. Intelligence is built into them.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:14 am

Gotcha. And did I really waste my 800th post wondering whether robots can read?

I guess the best way to sum up my feelings on this whole argument is by stealing a great line from a guy I knew back in my old Comics ApaZine days.

He used to say, "If you can be offended, you should be"
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:09 am

Buscemi wrote:A robot that speaks street, has a gold tooth and can't read. That, my friend, is a caricature.

Ya THINK!?!?!?!
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:20 am

Shrykespeare wrote:
Buscemi wrote:A robot that speaks street, has a gold tooth and can't read. That, my friend, is a caricature.

Ya THINK!?!?!?!

Tranny refused to believe so I explained it to him.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:33 am

Keyser Soze wrote:I could list any number of sit coms from the Cosby Show to Home Improvement to Malcolm in the Middle where the father was always made to look like the idiot.

Do the Wayans Brothers comments on race in their work have any more validity than Michael's Bay's response to the criticism of "The Twins"?

I would love to know what you wrote in your paper about the character of Hesch.

Most people (And I'm making a mass generalization here) only see bigotry and stereotypes when it is against them. They usually never see them when they are made against others.

Umm...first, yes the Wayan bros. commenting on race has way more validity then Michael Bay saying "uhh...they're not racist, I swear". One is art to make a point and the other is an asshole getting caught and not wanting to lose face/money from what his movie says. I'm kind of sad that I have to explain that actually.

Second, I'm white, so the bigotry isn't against me, yet I still see it and am avidly against it. Once again, I feel bigotry effects everyone...as for the "if you can be offended, you should be" line, it sounds like alot of the rich asshole fratboys I saw around college who would say fucked up shit about girls/other races/sci-fi & comic "geeks" and say something like that as their defense.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next