The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

+12
silversurfer19
mfrendo
Buscemi
leestu
Keyser Soze
NSpan
transformers2
Shrykespeare
numbersix_99
BarcaRulz
W
geezer9687
16 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 3 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by numbersix_99 Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 am

geezer9687 wrote:I listened to some joy division, just to be fair, before I posted that. It SUCKED. I know that's just my opinion, but hey, that's what I was voicing. I don't care who they influenced really. I listen to a band for what they sound like. And what I heard from them was miserable.

I think it's misleading to interpret Joy Division as miserable. That's one of the last words I would describe. I'd save that for the emo and nu-metal kids, who are also, I might add, people who claim to like Joy Division, but I would argue that they don't know Joy Division. Joy Division were musically heavy (almost industrial heavy), fast, and ocasionally up-beat. Lyrically, Curtis wrote songs not about being miserable, but about trying to deal with his condition. And that's the difference between JD and "miserable" bands. The latter bask in their adolescent values, JD attempted to work through it, tried to find the light. It didn;t work for Curtis, but the band managed to find their way with the music of New Order, which while good, didn't grab me as much as the lyrics were often very sloppy.

I don't dislike Rush, I'm just not a fan. Their music is flamboyant and sometimes irritating. It doesn't matter if they have a technically good drummer. Mariah Carey has technically one of the best singers of our generation, but I hate her music. As for Boston, beyond their single catchy song, everything else I've heard is the blandest stadium rock I've ever heard.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 3 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by leestu Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:46 am

Well said Six.
And to judge them properly check out a video of them performing live.

I can't believe i am the only one so far to choose Sex Pistols to go thru. I was trying to decide between The Femmes and The Pistols, but once I saw that no one had picked them yet me decision was made for me.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:49 am

I was in a conundrum between the Pistols and the Femmes, but had to go with the Femmes in the end.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:05 am

silversurfer19 wrote:MJ is a fantastic POP star, but not a rock and roll star.
not sure what this even means
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 am

Well, Geez set out the rules pretty quickly at the start of the poll, and going by those lines I don't think MJ would be classed in the rock n roll genre.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:39 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Well, Geez set out the rules pretty quickly at the start of the poll, and going by those lines I don't think MJ would be classed in the rock n roll genre.
FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 3 Lunchbox
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am

First things first, the Violent Femmes are the first to move on. I will repost the poll with the other 9 contenders after this.

Second of all, to 6: What I meant was that I when I listened to their music, it made me feel miserable, because it hurt my ears, because it was bad. Not anything to do with the emotional state of the band members.

The Song I listened to was Love Will Tear us Apart, one of the ones Surfer mentioned. My brother had it on one of his several box sets that have everything to do with that era. He really knows his shit, especially when it comes to that era and punk bands. And even he didn't like them. I can't stand industrial type music. It's probably the worst music that rock has come up with since its inception, in my opinion.

Also, I left it up to the community to decide what rock and roll is and isn't. The Beatles, were supported. Michael Jackson was not. Every time I try and kick someone out for not being "Rock enough" I get bitched at by hordes of angry Hank Williams and Cameo supporters. So I just give in to their wishes, because its a by the people, for the people poll.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:55 am

geezer9687 wrote:hordes of angry Hank Williams and Cameo supporters.
sounds like a crowd you wouldn't want to mess with
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:15 am

Michael Jackson was the Elvis of the 1980's. And Beat It was it's Hound Dog.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:30 am

geezer9687 wrote:First things first, the Violent Femmes are the first to move on. I will repost the poll with the other 9 contenders after this.

Second of all, to 6: What I meant was that I when I listened to their music, it made me feel miserable, because it hurt my ears, because it was bad. Not anything to do with the emotional state of the band members.

The Song I listened to was Love Will Tear us Apart, one of the ones Surfer mentioned. My brother had it on one of his several box sets that have everything to do with that era. He really knows his shit, especially when it comes to that era and punk bands. And even he didn't like them. I can't stand industrial type music. It's probably the worst music that rock has come up with since its inception, in my opinion.

Also, I left it up to the community to decide what rock and roll is and isn't. The Beatles, were supported. Michael Jackson was not. Every time I try and kick someone out for not being "Rock enough" I get bitched at by hordes of angry Hank Williams and Cameo supporters. So I just give in to their wishes, because its a by the people, for the people poll.

Although Love Will Tear Us Apart is probably their most famous and most well known song it is not a good example of what their music is like. If anything it is atypical of their style. Try Transmission for a better examples of their sound and Atmosphere for an example of their innovation, talent and creativity.
Having said that I think Love Will Tear Us Apart is a classic song.

Now, let's get The Sex Pistols in. bounce
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:50 am

Well you can't say I haven't given them a chance. I just can't stand their style. I can't even get through more than 30 seconds of it. But that doesn't mean I'm excluding them from the poll obviously. They have earned their place by being popular amongst you guys.

And I do hope the Sex Pistols get in, but I will be voting for Aerosmith until they make the tournament.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 pm

geezer9687 wrote:

Lol, fair enough!

Leetsu is right, while I adore Love Will Tear us Apart, that song was a suggestion more of where the band might have gone, but not really where they were. Transmission, She's Lost Control, 24 Hours, and Atmosphere are all more representative of their style- occasionally synth pop, but mostly what's now labelled post-punk, taking the catharsis of punk music but adding a level of self-reflection that I felt elevated them.

PS- you can't give a band a chance if you only get through 30 seconds of a song ;-)
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:17 pm

numbersix_99 wrote:
PS- you can't give a band a chance if you only get through 30 seconds of a song ;-)

Does the lead singer's voice and the sound of the band radically change after the first minute? Because I did get through about a minute of Transmission, before I just said this is horrible and had to shut it off. I doubt it really changes into something I would like.

Springsteen moves on. Next poll coming up.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:21 am

Here is my list for the 76-85 era. Again, I hope it isn't too late.

INXS
Prince
Violent Femmes
Tom Waits
Aerosmith
The Clash
Tom Petty
Rush
AC/DC
Blue Oyster Cult
Depeche Mode
Judas Priest
The Smiths
Dire Straits
Joy Division
Blondie

Sorry about the leave of absence guys. As some of you may know, my mom fell last weekend and broke her hip. I left Saturday the 22nd on an emergency trip to Indiana. I only had my laptop and very limited net access when I was not at the hospital with her. I emailed a bit about the closing of FM, got a rejection notice on a story and that was the extent of my outside world interaction. I didn't even check my FM slates for the last weekend. I am back now so I shall be posting my usual amount again.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:31 am

Hey Donte, where do you submit stories?
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:17 am

Unfortunately Donte, it is too late. And here it would have actually meant something. Your votes would have moved The Violent Femmes (they made it anyway though), Aerosmith and Tom Petty directly into the tournament. Now they have to go through the voting process. I suggest you vote in the poll at the top of this page to help move them on.

Out of those, Prince, The Clash, AC/DC, The Smiths and Joy Division are in. Unfortunately, you were too late to get Rush into the runoff, and apparently we are the only Blue Oyster Cult fans.

I don't think it would make a huge difference. I'm just hoping that Aerosmith and Tom Petty do get into the tournament, as they deserve it, especially knowing they would have had your vote. Vote for them up top ^^
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:43 am

Geez:
Dang and drat. Oh well can't be helped. At least Tom Petty already made a vote to get in. And what is with the Rush and BOC haters. You all stink.

FriendO: The current one I got the rejection on was to a Writer's Digest contest. I also try at a bunch of different literary magazines (since they are the only ones who still publish fiction) and some college literary journals.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:53 am

Geez, I hope you didn't think I was calling you a dirty pig fucker. That is just one of my exclamations for being annoyed. I understand that you couldn't wait on my votes, I was just mad that after all the thought I put into this thread that 2 eras were missed because of that annoying event called "real life."
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:04 am

Donte, why did you call him a pig fucker?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:40 am

geezer9687 wrote:we are the only Blue Oyster Cult fans.
Secret Treaties is an amazing album.. although, two of my three favorite songs are off the debut (Cities On Flame / Then Came the Last Days of May)

ps. check out The Stoned Age sometime
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:28 am

I just bought tickets to see the Blue Oyster Cult in concert in May, woo hoo! cheers
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:41 am

Roodey why haven't you been nominating?? Together we could have put Blue Oyster Cult through! Alas, its too late now.

And no hard feelings, Donte.

Iron Maiden is moving on to the tournament. I will start the new poll after this thread is posted.

And Donte, just to piss you off some more, I ran the numbers on how you would have single-handedly changed the outlook on this thing.

INXS- sorry, no one else voted for them
Prince- would have received a jump in the seeding process (already safe)
Violent Femmes- Would have made it directly in, rather than having to win a runoff
Tom Waits- would have been included in the runoff
Aerosmith- Would have been directly in (they better make it)
The Clash- already the number 1 seed
Tom Petty- would have been directly in
Rush- would have made the runoff
AC/DC- may or may not have improved their seed
BOC- unfortunately, I was the only other one to vote for them, so no impact
Depeche Mode- woulda made the runoff
Judas Priest- only vote
The Smiths- would have tied them with the Ramones and given them the 3 seed rather than the 4
Dire Straits- no impact
Joy Division- would have greatly improved seeding, possibly 4 or 5 spots
Blondie- would have made the runoff.

This also would have caused a problem- 11 bands in a runoff for 3 spots. I can only poll up to 10 options. Oh well, glad I didn't have to deal with that.

So everyone, get your picks in early for the 86-present era! They will open after this mess is sorted out at the top. Vote Aerosmith!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:31 pm

as much as i think ELO, the Specials, and Run DMC deserve recognition--i think i'm gonna jump ship and throw my vote to Tom Petty.. even though his best album wouldn't come out until '94, the bulk of his work was in this era..

sad that, no matter what happens, we'll be losing a Wilbury here
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Not necessarily NSpan, 3 more of these bands will be making the tournament, I am just moving them through one at a time, by whoever gets to 3 votes first. So both Tom Petty and ELO could make it, although I'd rather if ELO didn't. I think Aerosmith, Van Halen Tom Petty and The Sex Pistols are all more deserving.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:14 pm

Just FYI, though I don't think it matters, but I had Judas Priest up there as well as Donte.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next