The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

+12
silversurfer19
mfrendo
Buscemi
leestu
Keyser Soze
NSpan
transformers2
Shrykespeare
numbersix_99
BarcaRulz
W
geezer9687
16 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 7 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:34 am

Ok The nomination process is now closed. If you did not get in in time, oh well.

The bands that have officially made the tournament:
8 Nirvana
8 Soundgarden
6 Pixies
5 Fugazi
5 Jane's Addiction
5 Pearl Jam
5 Nine Inch Nails
5 R.E.M
5 Radiohead
5 Rage Against The Machine
5 Foo Fighters
5 Red Hot Chili Peppers
5 The White Stripes

The remaining bands with only 4 votes will be runoff for the final 3 spots.
4 Beastie Boys
4 Green Day
4 Guns N’ Roses
4 Queens Of The Stone Age
4 Sonic Youth
4 Sublime

Vote for which one you want to move on. The poll will most likely be run 3 times, unless a clear front three show up in the first poll.

Last edited by geezer9687 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 7 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:40 am

I am so disappointed Smashing Pumpkins didn't make the poll. I mean are only myself and Geez fans of them on here? And I was the only voter of Jeff Buckley too. It is indeed a sad day.

Having said that, that is a very strong list.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:56 am

Sorry guys, I totally missed adding a vote to Sublime for Aly (a travesty on my part), so they are now part of the runoff.

And to surfer:
I guess we are, as they received only 2 votes. I definitely think they are more deserving than a couple of bands up there.

There are quite a few disappointments here for me, as this era is obviously more personal. Everclear for one, is in my opinion the greatest band of their style to come out in this period. Social Distortion obviously is near and dear to my heart. The Offspring and Blink-182 absolutely defined pop punk of the late 1990s and I feel were both robbed. Jimmy Eat World is up their with Everclear as a band that was the best of the best for what they were trying to be. And does no one on here listen to Bad Religion? I figured with all the punk lovers I couldn't possibly be the only one. I'd put them in the top 5 punk bands ever, and I was the only one that voted for them.

Overall though, I would be voting for Nirvana no matter who they face. I want them to win the whole competition. They have always been my favorite, and probably always will. I think had they continued to make music, instead of well, you know, then they would be recognized by music historians as the greatest of all time, even ahead of bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:14 pm

geezer9687 wrote:There are quite a few disappointments here for me, as this era is obviously more personal. Everclear for one, is in my opinion the greatest band of their style to come out in this period. The Offspring and Blink-182 absolutely defined pop punk of the late 1990s and I feel were both robbed. Jimmy Eat World is up their with Everclear as a band that was the best of the best for what they were trying to be.

Overall though, I would be voting for Nirvana no matter who they face ... even ahead of bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.
Geez, i love ya, man.... but, come on--these words make me sad... i think, in time, you'll learn the mistake of your ways.

But do not go in fear, Grasshopper. Fear is eternal darkness. Go instead with inner strength. For it is like a deep river, into which all streams flow. It increases, always moving forward. And soon, there is nothing that can stand in its way.

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 7 Grasshopper
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:53 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:I am so disappointed Smashing Pumpkins didn't make the poll. I mean are only myself and Geez fans of them on here? And I was the only voter of Jeff Buckley too. It is indeed a sad day.

I voted for Jeff Buckley also, Surfer. At least that.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:06 pm

NSpan wrote:
a beatles "dud" is the equivalent of most bands' better work.. i'd be hard pressed to find more than 4-5 objectively shitty songs from all of their official studio LPs combined.. hell, the beatles' unofficial stuff (b-sides, demos, outtakes, live versions, etc.) is more impressive than the entire catalog of several of the bands mentioned in this thread

Naaahhhh. I respect the Beatles for experimenting a lot, and, you know, changing the direction of pop/rock music, but some of their experiments just didn't work, and are "duds" in the sense that they're absolute crap. Of course, this is all subjective (more than movies, which makes arguing music a very difficult thing), BUT, my argument is that I've friends who are big Beatles fans, and there are songs off their records, even Sgt Peppers, their self-titled album, and Revolver, that my fan friends just can't remember- that can't be a good sign.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:15 pm

Geez, i love ya, man.... but, come on--these words make me sad... i think, in time, you'll learn the mistake of your ways.
Of course, this it all subjective (more than movies, which makes arguing music a very difficult thing
I think 6 proves it right, there is no right or wrong answer, no error in anyone's ways, what sounds good to you sounds good to you and there isn't really anything you can do about it. I've listened to all of the bands I mentioned in that thread in constant rotation, and I will continue to. They are awesome. I can not tell you the illegal things I would do just to get a Blink-182 reunion.

Last edited by geezer9687 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 pm

geezer9687 wrote: I think 6 proves it right,

Don't I always?

geezer9687 wrote: there is no right or wrong answer, no error in anyone's ways, what sounds good to you sounds good to you and there isn't really anything you can do about it.

But it's mighty fine to argue!
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:10 pm

NSpan wrote: i am listening to Fats Waller RIGHT NOW... that's quite a coincidence.. if you're willing to give ragtime-y blues a chance, Blind Blake might be right up yer alley

How is this for a coincidence to add to your previous coincidence. I am reading a mystery novel by Lee Childs (Killing Floor; one of the Jack Reacher novels). He is traveling through Georgia and he stops in a town called Margrave to look up a legend that Blind Blake died in the town. I started reading the novel 3 days ago. I had never heard of Blind Blake and I didn't even know he was a real person until you mentioned him.

Dooo do do do Dooo do do do. Shocked
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:13 pm

geezer9687 wrote: I can not tell you the illegal things I would do just to get a Blink-182 reunion.

I can not tell you the illegal things I would do to ensure that there is no such reunion. My plane sabotage almost worked but that tattooed fucker got away. Have to plan better next time...

Twisted Evil
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:24 pm

And you don't like this band how, Donte? Watch the whole thing.

And since every band has 2 votes EXCEPT Queens of the Stone Age who have 0, I am eliminating them from the contest. A new poll will be up momentarily.

This time you will be voting for which band you think DOES NOT BELONG. This is to avoid a gridlock of 5 bands with 2 votes again. And I think it will be very interesting and take less time.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:37 pm

Whoop, voted for Sonic Youth by mistake, thinking it was a Who Belongs post.

If possible, I'd like to change my vote to Green Day
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 pm

I'll see what I can do, I figured that might happen. Read the poll topic everyone!!!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:47 pm

What in the??£$%£%^$% First of all you take Smashing Pumpkins away from me, then Jeff Buckley. Then MSP. Now you wanna get rid of Sonic Youth. Please let me have ONE of my favourites acts from this period through.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Number 6, I allowed vote canceling, so you should be able to take your vote away. I hope it works!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:42 am

Vote canceling rules. LOL

I will give you this Geez. I would love to hang out with those guys. I think they are hilarious and their videos are fun. BUT they are not very talented musically. Most of their songs sound the same. They suffer from punk-ophilia. They only know about three cords to go along with whatever they want to say. The Ramones were the same way (as are 90% of punk bands). Play three cords, scream loudly and be angry. Repeat for the next song ad nauseum.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:54 am

Am I the only one voting to take Green Day off this poll? They started good, then went downhill the minute they latched to MTV and tried to be pop stars (who are all kind of lame if you ask me...).
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:18 am

geezer9687 wrote:Number 6, I allowed vote canceling, so you should be able to take your vote away. I hope it works!

Cheers Geez, vote cancelling works perfectly!
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:43 am

mfrendo wrote:Am I the only one voting to take Green Day off this poll? They started good, then went downhill the minute they latched to MTV and tried to be pop stars (who are all kind of lame if you ask me...).

Green Day was my 2nd choice but I cannot stand Sublime. Reggae wannabe stoner crap.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:47 am

looks like it'll be between guns n roses and beasties.

Damn, Donte, I think you're the first person I've met who doesn't like Sublime, at least a little bit. Although most I know love it because it's reggae wannabe stoner crap. Guess you can see where Cali's head's at.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:53 am

Donte77 wrote:
NSpan wrote: i am listening to Fats Waller RIGHT NOW... that's quite a coincidence.. if you're willing to give ragtime-y blues a chance, Blind Blake might be right up yer alley

How is this for a coincidence to add to your previous coincidence. I am reading a mystery novel by Lee Childs (Killing Floor; one of the Jack Reacher novels). He is traveling through Georgia and he stops in a town called Margrave to look up a legend that Blind Blake died in the town. I started reading the novel 3 days ago. I had never heard of Blind Blake and I didn't even know he was a real person until you mentioned him.

Dooo do do do Dooo do do do. Shocked
weeeeeeeeeeird
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:12 am

[quote=mfrendo]Damn, Donte, I think you're the first person I've met who doesn't like Sublime, at least a little bit. Although most I know love it because it's reggae wannabe stoner crap. Guess you can see where Cali's head's at.[/quote]
My brother and I have actually had the conversation as to who is the "least hated band" in the world. The band that pretty much everyone can stand, and at least like a little bit. Sublime was one of the top bands on that list. I am with you when you say that Donte is the first person I have ever seen that actually hates them.

Also, when you say that it is between the Beasties and Guns N Roses, I don't really know what you mean. The purpose of this poll is to vote for who DOES NOT BELONG so they are the ones that are seemingly safe from elimination, this time around. If that's what you meant then I am sorry, but I just want everyone to be aware that you are voting for your least favorite band out of the 5 that are up there. The one with the most votes will be eliminated, and then I will run the poll again. Leaving us with 3 bands that make the poll.

If you have voted for the wrong band because you thought you were voting for your favorite, simply cancel your vote and vote again. But please guys, don't use it to change your vote if you didn't screw up originally.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:23 am

Yeah, I understood Geez. Sorry if my wording was unclear. I just meant it looked like the other four all tied to not belong, which would leave those two the only one's that could be run off for the final.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:28 am

Ok, understood. But that's not exactly the way its going to work. Only the 1 band that gets the most votes here is going to be eliminated. Then I am going to run the whole thing over again. I need 3 of these bands to move onto the finals.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:59 am

I have decided that Since they have had no votes against them, Guns N' Roses and The Beastie Boys will be in the tournament.

Now, for the final spot, I am running off the 3 bands with 4 votes.

Since they were tied in votes against, I am switching back to voting for who you DO want in the tournament. Once again, Vote for your favorite band of these three! Only one will make it in!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next