The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

+12
silversurfer19
mfrendo
Buscemi
leestu
Keyser Soze
NSpan
transformers2
Shrykespeare
numbersix_99
BarcaRulz
W
geezer9687
16 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 2 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by Buscemi Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:16 pm

NSpan wrote:ELO rocks, geez. (that's right, buscemi.. i called em "ELO".. whatchoo gonna do about it?).. Jeff Lynne is like John Lennon--if John Lennon were an enormous sellout.. shit, did i just describe Paul McCartney?

John Lennon kind of did sell out, but only after he died and Yoko decided to make a buck off of his death.

Let's hope Michelle Williams doesn't do the same with Heath Ledger's death.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 2 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by NSpan Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Buscemi wrote:Let's hope Michelle Williams doesn't do the same with Heath Ledger's death.
yeah, we wouldn't want to defile the artistic integrity of 10 Things I Hate About You
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:1976 - 1985

The Clash
Joy Division
The Jam
REM
The Smiths
New Order
The Ramones
Prince
The Replacements
The Talking Heads
Blondie

More to come later.

A few more I forgot the first go around

U2
The English Beat
Squeeze (The Lennon/McCartney of the 80's)
Crowded House
Depeche Mode
The Damned
Peter Gabriel
KISS
Van Halen
Duran Duran
Yes
Rush
Little Feat
(They won't make the cut, but....) Lloyd Cole and the Commotion
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:10 am

I am going to add to my list:
Thin Lizzy
Steve Miller Band
REM
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:14 am

geez ive been meaning to ask you where is Chicopee near? is it near Worcester? cause i live like an 1 hour from Worcester
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:26 am

It is right next to Springfield.

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 2 Map_of_massachusetts

You'll see it.

Also, Nspan, did Aly make it over here.

Anyone know about mfrendo?

Expecting Surfer and possibly Donte still to add nominations. Make sure everyone votes over in the tournament polls!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:22 am

My nominations:

The Clash
Slayer
The Ramones
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Tom Waits
Pogues
Black Flag
Ted Nugent
Smiths
The Birthday Party
Nick Cave
Minor Threat
Circle Jerks
Bad Brains
Millions of Dead Cops
The Lounge Lizards
Zero Defex
Television
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:40 am

Thanks frendo.

This has been by far the most varied and abundant nomination yet.

If I ended it right now, I would have a 21 artist poll for just ONE spot!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:59 am

My nominations for 75-85:

The Clash
Sex Pistols
The Buzzcocks
The Undertones
The Smiths
The Replacements
Television
The Specials
The Stranglers
Joy Division
The Violent Femmes
Blondie
Patti Smith

There may be more, I'll check my collection tonight...

Last edited by silversurfer19 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:38 am

geezer9687 wrote:Also, Nspan, did Aly make it over here.
yeah, she made the jump--but she's been busy with real world obligations ("thanksgiving?" what the hell is that?).. i predict that she'll check in tonight, if only to give the Talking Heads yet another nomination
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:43 am

Well, if she does, then it would help their seeding. They are already a lock for the tournament. I think she will be the last voter. Donte seems to be too busy for us these days Laughing
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:15 am

geezer9687 wrote:I am going to add to my list:
Thin Lizzy
Steve Miller Band
REM

Please don't let REM in this era. I know they started in this era but everything from 'Document' onwards is in the next era and they would be my pick for THE band of 86-95.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:56 am

I'm with you on this one, Leestu. All of their most important work comes from the following period. While I love their earliest stuff, especially Murmer, they really broke out with Document and their following hits such as Green, not to mention Out Of Time and Automatic For The People. If I wanted to honour them for one time period, it would be 85-95.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Well guys, if no one else votes for them they wouldn't make it this time around anyway. I was just going through the list and saw a band I actually liked amongst all the insignificant early punk/new wave dreck that everyone on her seems to love. Seriously Joy Division and Devo can get 4 votes and artists like Blue Oyster Cult, Def Leppard, Tom Petty, Rush, Billy Joel and Boston can't get more than 1 or 2? That's why I put REM in. Because I personally think this segment is looking rather weak. But that's why its not up to me. Its up to the fantaverse. The Ramones or The Clash are most likely going to take this era down, so at least the actually great punk bands will come out on top.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:11 pm

geezer9687 wrote:Well guys, if no one else votes for them they wouldn't make it this time around anyway. I was just going through the list and saw a band I actually liked amongst all the insignificant early punk/new wave dreck that everyone on her seems to love. Seriously Joy Division and Devo can get 4 votes and artists like Blue Oyster Cult, Def Leppard, Tom Petty, Rush, Billy Joel and Boston can't get more than 1 or 2?

Punk New Wave dreck like Joy Division? Next to the Velvet Underground, JD are one of the most inspirational bands of modern music. Without them modern music would not sound the same. Artists as diverse as Nirvana, Jeff Buckley, Radiohead, Moby, Aphex Twin, and Nine Inch Nails have all openly spoke of how JD are direct musical inspirations. So yeah, they deserve far more kudos than the dull-as-dishwater moderate rock of Def Leppard that nobody cares about anymore, or Boston and their one good song.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 pm

Wow, now it's going to get hot and heavy. There is no way on God's green Earth that bands like Boston or Blue Oyster Cult are as seminal as Joy Division. Numbersix has already listed a bunch of the bands that they heavily influenced, and you could even continue that on to today by adding The Killers. Their sound was unlike anything that had come before, and without them there would have been no manchester sound of the 80's which includes The Smiths, Inspiral Carpets, The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses and of course, New Order.

As for REM, this period is their best to me. I was attending college in 1981 in Atlanta when I first heard "Radio Free Europe" played on the local college radio station, and ever since then, Chronic Town, Murmur and Fables have been staples of my listening collection. If they don't make it this time, I'd still be okay with next time as "Life's rich Pageant and Document" still blow away most of whatever else will be nominated for '86 - '95.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:19 pm

I listened to some joy division, just to be fair, before I posted that. It SUCKED. I know that's just my opinion, but hey, that's what I was voicing. I don't care who they influenced really. I listen to a band for what they sound like. And what I heard from them was miserable. Also, other than Nirvana and to a lesser extent the Killers, I either have never heard of, or hate all of the bands you just mentioned. Just because a bands sound was original does not mean that it is also good. Obviously its a matter of taste, which is what the poll is all about, but I was just stating my opinion. I'd listen to Boston any day over Joy Division.

On a lighter note, I love that there was no uproar over the kings of "Whip It," that I mentioned, who have the same number of votes.

And you can't even argue that Rush isn't amazing. They have one of, if not the, greatest drummers of all time and their songs just kick ass.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Hope this isn't too late:

76-85

Talking Heads
The Clash
Metallica
Tom Petty
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Black Sabbath
Micheal Jackson
Phil Collins
Billy Joel
Adrian Belew
The Cars
Dire Straits
Parliament
ELO
Huey Lewis and the News
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:07 pm

geezer9687 wrote:I listened to some joy division, just to be fair, before I posted that. It SUCKED. I know that's just my opinion, but hey, that's what I was voicing. I don't care who they influenced really. I listen to a band for what they sound like. And what I heard from them was miserable. Also, other than Nirvana and to a lesser extent the Killers, I either have never heard of, or hate all of the bands you just mentioned. Just because a bands sound was original does not mean that it is also good. Obviously its a matter of taste, which is what the poll is all about, but I was just stating my opinion. I'd listen to Boston any day over Joy Division.

On a lighter note, I love that there was no uproar over the kings of "Whip It," that I mentioned, who have the same number of votes.

And you can't even argue that Rush isn't amazing. They have one of, if not the, greatest drummers of all time and their songs just kick ass.

I would be happy to some day discuss the musical merits of both Boston and Rush. I saw Rush live twice, once on the 2112 tour and once on the Tom Sawyer tour. Both shows were enjoyable, but in reality, they're just a poor man's Yes. I guess I could use the same logic that you do by saying that just because a band has a great drummer (And he is one of the all time greats), it doesn't make them a great band.

As for Boston.......... I got nothing.

That's why this is such a great idea. People get to express their opinions, and no one is ever wrong.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:28 pm

Aly its not too late, I was waiting for you to get around to posting yours. Here's how the list stacks up. Its loooooong:

1976-1985

8 The Clash
7 The Ramones
6 The Smiths
6 Metallica
5 Talking Heads
4 Joy Division
4 Prince
4 Devo
4 AC/DC
4 U2
3 Bruce Springsteen
3 Aerosmith
3 Van Halen
3 Run DMC
3 Iron Maiden
3 Violent Femmes
3 The Specials
3 Electric Light Orchestra
3 The Sex Pistols
3 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
2 New Order
2 Billy Idol
2 Rush
2 Public Image LTD
2 Bee Gees
2 The Cure
2 Depeche Mode
2 Duran Duran
2 Dead Kennedys
2 The Jam
2 The Damned
2 Kiss
2 REM
2 Thin Lizzy
2 Steve Miller Band
2 Tom Waits
2 The Pogues
2 Television
2 The Replacements
2 Blondie
2 Billy Joel
2 Adrian Belew
2 Red Hot Chili Peppers
Boston
Blue Oyster Cult
Def Leppard
Gang of Four
Kate Bush
Pere Ubu
Wire
Mission of Burma
Glenn Branca
Toto
Men at Work
The Eagles
Neil Diamond
Chicago
Hall & Oates
Motley Crue
Modern Lovers
XTC
B-52s
Ozzy Osbourne
Meat Puppets
Cameo
Wang Chung
The Cars
Frank Zappa
Bauhaus
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Stiff Little Fingers
Madness
Pat Benetar
Joan Jett
The English Beat
Crowded House
Peter Gabriel
Yes
Little Feet
Lloyd Cole and the Commotion
Slayer
Judas Priest
Black Flag
Ted Nugent
The Birthday Party
Nick Cave
Minor Threat
Circle Jerks
Bad Brains
Millions of Dead Cops
The Lounge Lizards
Zero Defex
The Buzzcocks
The Undertones
The Stranglers
Patti Smith
Michael Jackson
Phil Collins
The Cars
Dire Straits
Parliament
Huey Lewis and the News

If I screwed up and you see a band listed twice, correct me. This was a substantially larger list than the others so I am more likely to have made a mistake.

There are 10 bands with 3 votes. There are 6 remaining spots. You know the drill. I will definitely have to run multiple polls on this one though. Poll going up now.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:43 am

So I think the best way to work this poll, is one of two ways.

Either as soon as someone gets 3 votes, they move on and I start it again.
or
When we get to 10 votes, take the leader or leaders, move them on, and restart it.

Option A will be my first choice. But if we reach 10 votes and don't have anyone with 3, I will use option B. Which looks like might happen, as people seem to be very split. There will probably between 4-6 runs of this poll.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:30 am

Am I really the ONLY person to nominate Micheal Jackson? Am I the only one that digs Thriller?
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 am

MJ is a fantastic POP star, but not a rock and roll star.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:44 am

a couple of comments

i agree geez not a big fan of Joy Divison influential yes good no.

also please nobody else nominate Slayer for this period there biggest and best album Reign In Blood didnt come out untill 86.

Plus Rush is very talented but they are corny as shit.

And what the f**k Devo? got 4 votes but Iron Maiden,Van Halen,Springsteen and Aerosmith get 3. Thats just wrong.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:47 am

I cannot agree with you guys at all. Joy Division were influential as well as being highly innovative and a shockingly good band. Listen to Transmission, Love Will Tear Us Apart or Isolation for what brilliant post punk music is.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next