The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

+12
silversurfer19
mfrendo
Buscemi
leestu
Keyser Soze
NSpan
transformers2
Shrykespeare
numbersix_99
BarcaRulz
W
geezer9687
16 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 6 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by Buscemi Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 am

I bet you'd do Meg White if you weren't married, Donte.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 6 Empty Re: FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page)

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 am

Donte77 wrote:SS:

1500 albums?!?!?!? Fuck. No wonder you are so skinny. You spent all your food money on comic books and cd growing up. Smile

I'd laugh if it wasn't true Rolling Eyes Shocked. No I worked all the way through Uni to keep up my habit. Man, I'm an addict.

And Boussh, I'm sure there are plenty of us who would have our way with Meg White given the chance. Twisted Evil
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:36 am

Buscemi wrote:I bet you'd do Meg White if you weren't married, Donte.

Where did this "if you weren't married" shit come into play?!?!? If Meg shows up at my house drunk, she becomes a party favor. My wife can film.

Twisted Evil

cheers
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:38 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
Donte77 wrote:SS:

1500 albums?!?!?!? Fuck. No wonder you are so skinny. You spent all your food money on comic books and cd growing up. Smile

I'd laugh if it wasn't true Rolling Eyes Shocked. No I worked all the way through Uni to keep up my habit. Man, I'm an addict.

And Boussh, I'm sure there are plenty of us who would have our way with Meg White given the chance. Twisted Evil

I'm too lazy to have that kind of passion. I like not working. Smile I prefer not working to having cool stuff.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:49 am

Donte77 wrote:December, 2028.

The Contest: Bob Dylan Jr.

The candidates; Jack White, Sufjan Stevens, and Jack Black

Who will be the next Bob Dylan, the troubador of the ages, the songwriter to end all songwriting, the chameleon of rock? Come back in two decades for the winner.

I'm pretty sure this guy would have something to say about this contest, considering, y'know, he is Dylan's son, and he is a singer songwriter. Rolling Eyes

FM Best Artists in the History of Rock and Roll (Nominations Page) - Page 6 Jakob-Dylan

Donte77 wrote: I'm too lazy to have that kind of passion. I like not working. I prefer not working to having cool stuff.

That's my problem, I like cool stuff.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:03 am

First of all, INXS and Aerosmith did not make the other poll Donte, but they don't have a shot here either.

Second of all, it may have seemed like I was complaining about being overworked by you posting 100 bands, surfer, but I don't mind. Its my poll, I knew what I was getting into, and that's about that.

Third, there is a very distinct reason I made this last group 1986-present. That reason is that in order to have a 64 entrant bracket style tournament, you have to break it up into segments of:
2 groups of 32
4 groups of 16
or 8 groups of 8.

I was going to try and do the 8 of 8 thing, but it would have been too difficult to organize.

I made the decision I did to lump all of them together because in my own personal opinion, there has been very few good music to come out since the turn of the century. There is passable music. Music that I will listen to when it is on the radio. But there hasn't been anything that I can sit down and say "Wow, this band is going down in history as one of the greats." I think that in 10 years, we will know exactly who left an impact on the music world, and you was just "meh." I am with Donte on this one, I believe that if a band is to be discussed as a great of all time, they have had to make an impact in the music world, not just my own feeble brain. Which is why I haven't posted bands like System of a Down, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Against Me!, Rise Against, Angels and Airwaves, Dropkick Murphy's, Flogging Molly, Shinedown, Sum 41, Coheed and Cambria and so many others on my list, because sure, I listen to their music, I think they are good bands, but will I look back in ten years and say "Man, that band was one of the all time best, probably not."

I don't listen to as much diverse music as you do. I personally don't have the time. I love the bands that I love, but I limited my list to either the bands that I felt needed to be in this discussion, or bands that are on my very short list of awesome bands, like Social Distortion. My favorite band that is producing music right now is Against Me!. They are not on my list. They haven't made that impact on music that I feel is necessary to get in this conversation, like Donte pointed out.

That's why I felt like you may have went a little overboard. But, I definitely see your point. Those bands mean something to you, and you have every right to try and get them nominated. I don't see why you wouldn't support bands that will do well in this poll if you like them as well though. That seems very snobby of you. To not support a band because it goes with the mainstream opinion. That just makes you sound like an emo kid who doesn't want to conform. No offense.

Anyways, this discussion has been great, and this poll, while there have been so many nominees that are crazy and caused me to make a fuss, in reality, the poll itself will look like all the others. It is a who's who of the big bands of the era, with a couple surprises thrown in. Just like all 3 other polls have turned out to be. This one just had a lot more names mentioned in the process.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:15 am

Man, I loved The Wallflowers first album. Then they all but disappeared. I haven't heard much out of them recently. It is a shame that Bob Dylan Jr isn't even in the running for the title of Bob Dylan Jr. Smile
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:17 am

silversurfer19 wrote:

Donte77 wrote: I'm too lazy to have that kind of passion. I like not working. I prefer not working to having cool stuff.

That's my problem, I like cool stuff.

One of the reasons that I loved "Into the Wild" as a movie and as a concept. I was very close to ditching to the world and wandering a few years back.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:19 am

Jakob's pretty protective of his identity and prefers to stay out of the public eye. Honestly, I don't blame him especially since he has a family and he doesn't want his son to suffer from the childhood that he had.

Bob's other son, Jesse, meanwhile has attempted a career as a film director. So far, his only good film was How High.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:22 am

If anyone out there still wants to get nominations in, you must do it now!!!!

I am closing them soon, probably by the end of the night.

The reason for this is that right now we have an even 16 bands with 4 or more votes. I don't want it to get too crazy. However, if you do still want to send in a list, go ahead. It will just mean that there will be some runoffs.

As it stands right now, the bands that would be in:
6 Nirvana
6 Soundgarden
5 Fugazi
5 Jane's Addiction
5 Pearl Jam
5 Pixies
5 R.E.M
5 Radiohead
5 Red Hot Chili Peppers
5 The White Stripes
4 Beastie Boys
4 Green Day
4 Guns N’ Roses
4 Nine Inch Nails
4 Rage Against The Machine
4 Sonic Youth

and there are 12 bands with 3 mentions. If one or 2 get a fourth mention, I will do a runoff the opposite way, voting for who doesn't belong.
3 Arcade Fire
3 Elliot Smith
3 Faith No More
3 Foo Fighters
3 Jesus And Mary Chain
3 Mogwai
3 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
3 Queens Of The Stone Age
3 Social Distortion
3 Sublime
3 The Killers
3 The Offspring

Anyone else is pretty much dead in the water at this point.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:22 am

Nominations

Nirvana
Stone Temple Pilots
Slayer
Megadeth
The Mars Volta
Queens Of The Stone Age
Rage Against The Machine
Korn
Rammstien
2pac
Notorious B.I.G
Nas
Eminem
Mastodon
Soundgarden
Rob Zombie
Muse
Motley Crue
Slipknot
Guns N Roses
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:24 am

geezer9687 wrote: I don't see why you wouldn't support bands that will do well in this poll if you like them as well though. That seems very snobby of you. To not support a band because it goes with the mainstream opinion. That just makes you sound like an emo kid who doesn't want to conform. No offense.

I never said I wouldn't vote for the big bands, Geez. I just made a point of nominating some of the smaller bands which may have slipped a few of the community's attention. If you check my noms I nominated Smashing Pumpkins, U2, The White Stripes, Pixies, R.E.M and Nirvana, and I would generally be quite happy to vote for them when the poll is announced.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:29 am

And with tranny's vote it now makes a runoff necessary, which is totally fine. I will wait it out the rest of the night to see who else pops up, but he just moved Queens of the Stone age and the Foo Fighters (who I am very happy about) into the running.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:06 am

geezer9687 wrote:The White Stripes are going to make this poll, and I think that is just sad. Their earlier stuff was good, but the newer stuff they have put out is damn near unlistenable.
sure, Jack White pulled a Johnny Depp on us and got a little too big for his britches.. but those first 3 (and most of the 4th) White Stripes' albums were friggin brilliant.. they put on an amazing live show, too.. i dug em before they were popular to like, and i'll keep on diggin' em now thats popular to hate on em

for anyone who enjoyed the White Stripes at their best, you MUST check out The Greenhornes.. (their rhythm section now belongs to the Raconteurs).. i started with the semi-compilation album Sewed Soles.. totally got me hooked

[quote="numbersix_99"]
Keyser Soze wrote:I often argue with my friends that the Beatles never made a truly great record- there's always been duds.
a beatles "dud" is the equivalent of most bands' better work.. i'd be hard pressed to find more than 4-5 objectively shitty songs from all of their official studio LPs combined.. hell, the beatles' unofficial stuff (b-sides, demos, outtakes, live versions, etc.) is more impressive than the entire catalog of several of the bands mentioned in this thread

for the record, GnR almost made my list.. but i set a cap for myself, and they just didn't make the cut.. definitely deserve an honorable mention though
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:16 am

NSpan wrote:for anyone who enjoyed the White Stripes at their best, you MUST check out The Greenhornes.. (their rhythm section now belongs to the Raconteurs).. i started with the semi-compilation album Sewed Soles.. totally got me hooked

Not to mention The Dirtbombs,The Upholsterers, Howling Diablos, The Suicide Machines and The Gories. I love the Detroit rock scene.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:23 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
NSpan wrote:for anyone who enjoyed the White Stripes at their best, you MUST check out The Greenhornes.. (their rhythm section now belongs to the Raconteurs).. i started with the semi-compilation album Sewed Soles.. totally got me hooked

Not to mention The Dirtbombs,The Upholsterers, Howling Diablos, The Suicide Machines and The Gories. I love the Detroit rock scene.
greenhornes are actually from ohio
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:25 am

Speaking of GnR, NSpan (and anyone else for that matter), what do you think of Chinese Democracy? While not all songs are great, and some are downright horrible (such as the title track), I actually dig alot of it more than I thought I would. Just interested in hearing others viewpoints...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:27 am

mfrendo wrote:Speaking of GnR, NSpan (and anyone else for that matter), what do you think of Chinese Democracy? While not all songs are great, and some are downright horrible (such as the title track), I actually dig alot of it more than I thought I would. Just interested in hearing others viewpoints...
it's less awful than i thought it'd be........ but once the novelty wears off, i don't see myself ever going out of my way to listen to it again.. all the best parts just make me want to put on one of their better records
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:33 am

My Noms

Gov't Mule
Pixies
Widespread Panic
Stone Temple Pilots
Nine Inch Nails
Soundgarden
Elf Power
Foo Fighters
Nirvana
Sublime
Greenhornes
The Flaming Lips
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:35 am

NSpan wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:

I never said they were. The bands I mentioned are from Detroit, however.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:37 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
NSpan wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:

I never said they were. The bands I mentioned are from Detroit, however.
i see. well, in that case, i recommend Fats Domino, as he is from Louisiana
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:41 am

good list aly
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:55 am

NSpan wrote:i see. well, in that case, i recommend Fats Domino, as he is from Louisiana

Is he the guy referenced Be Kind Rewind. lol!

I do need to listen to more blues which influenced the bands I like, however. I started with acts like Howlin' Wolf and Blind Willie Johnson and Bo Diddley, but I need to expand.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:32 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
NSpan wrote:i see. well, in that case, i recommend Fats Domino, as he is from Louisiana

Is he the guy referenced Be Kind Rewind. lol!

I do need to listen to more blues which influenced the bands I like, however. I started with acts like Howlin' Wolf and Blind Willie Johnson and Bo Diddley, but I need to expand.
weird.. i am listening to Fats Waller RIGHT NOW... that's quite a coincidence.. if you're willing to give ragtime-y blues a chance, Blind Blake might be right up yer alley
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 am

Just don't let Jack Black be Fats. Hilarious scene.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next