The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full Year Draft League Taken Films/Discussion Thread

+13
leestu
numbersix_99
JackO
SuperShaan
silversurfer19
Donte77
undeadmonkey
BarcaRulz
Keyser Soze
IPKI$$
Buscemi
geezer9687
W
17 posters

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Full Year Draft League Taken Films/Discussion Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Full Year Draft League Taken Films/Discussion Thread

Post by W Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Doesn't Cuban own Lionsgate? The bottom line is money. This thing would've bombed even with more theaters. No doubt about it.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Full Year Draft League Taken Films/Discussion Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Full Year Draft League Taken Films/Discussion Thread

Post by JackO Fri May 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Mark Cuban owns Magnolia films and 2929 Entertainment . The folks who have had bombs Grace is Gone, Redacted, etc.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 pm

Lionsgate is trying to stay alive as a Distributor right now. They're scaling back on many projects. For game purposes it would be wise to watch them until they regain strong financial solvency. They're on the edge but at least they just signed a deal with Revolution that will see them taking a step back from Production and a stronger role in Distribution. That should keep them afloat.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri May 01, 2009 11:23 pm

You mean Relativity Media. Revolution folded in 2007.

Also the fact that Carl Icahn (corporate raider and man who turns everything he touches into shit) wants to buy the company is actually pretty sad. This same guy attempted a company in the late 1990's and struck out swinging on three low and outside pitches.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sat May 02, 2009 12:24 am

Yes, Relativity, not the Joe Roth one.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat May 02, 2009 9:43 am

I just realized that had it kept its original release date of April 30th, Iron Man 2 would have been a great pick even it is was just for one weekend.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat May 02, 2009 10:01 am

Buscemi wrote:I just realized that had it kept its original release date of April 30th, Iron Man 2 would have been a great pick even it is was just for one weekend.

Actually, i'm pretty sure W said something about letting it go for a month after the due date so the late movies have a chance to make some cash. Don't quote me on that though.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat May 02, 2009 8:51 pm

I did, but isn't the cutoff the last WEEKEND in April for picking?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon May 04, 2009 10:17 pm

Are we gonna have a Weekly Standings thread or is it going to be in the Draft one?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Mon May 04, 2009 11:51 pm

There is a separate thread
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue May 05, 2009 7:27 am

I think its on the Slates thread. If someone doesn't have their slates posted there, please do...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue May 05, 2009 10:43 am

Yeah, but I meant a thread to post who's in what place each weekend. Like, whoever had Wolverine would be in first now with $85 million, and whoever had Ghosts would be second with $14 million.

I know we're doing our own totals, but I thought having a weekly updated standings place would be cool. See where we are and everything.

Are we gonna do that in the Slates thread?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue May 05, 2009 10:55 am

Nevermind all that, I just looked at the 3 months Ultimate draft threads. Looks like the stats will be in the Slates thread. Sorry about that.

Related note - I would like to be in the next 3 month Ultimate draft. Whenever that starts.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed May 06, 2009 2:50 am

After the talk of war films not doing well BO wise, what do you guys think of my pick, 'Brothers'. Its a movie about a guy who comforts his brother's wife and kids when the brother goes to Afghanistan. It stars Jake Gylenhaal, Tobey Maguire, Natalie Portman and is directed by Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot, In America, The Boxer). It was originally written and directed by Susanne Bier (Things We Lost In The Fire, After The Wedding). It's due for release in autumn 2009 and has got a bit of Oscar buzz too.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 am

I think Brothers will do well. It's the return of the good Jim Sheridan (not the one who churned out Get Rich Or Die Tryin') and the cast looks great.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed May 06, 2009 2:56 am

Surf,
Americans don't seem to have a penchant for watching movies about military conflicts we're involved with until after they've passed. That's why we didn't really see a slew of Vietnam War movies until the late 70's.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed May 06, 2009 3:06 am

I know Keyser, but I'm hoping the cast and director's pedigree, coupled with an Oscar release platform will help it sidestep that usual pattern. Surely not every movie which focuses on war bombs....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed May 06, 2009 3:12 am

The problem is though that Americans don't want to be reminded that a conflict is still going on especially one that the majority of folks never agreed to in the first place. We get enough coverage of the war during our nightly newscasts that folks start to become numb to it. It doesn't matter who is in the film or even who directed it. We just don't want to pay our hard earned money to sit through a film about a subject that we're trying to escape from.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed May 06, 2009 3:19 am

Way to destroy my expectations for a movie's chances. Or are you secretly hoping I'll dump it so that you can pick it up. Hmmmm....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed May 06, 2009 3:20 am

Damn, you've caught on to my secretly evil-genius plan. Mwah Ha Hah!!!!!
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed May 06, 2009 3:25 am

As for you Keyzer, I think that you taking Whiteout in the fifth was a bad move.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed May 06, 2009 3:26 am

Why is that?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed May 06, 2009 3:34 am

The film has changed release dates at least five times, Joel Silver is on a cold streak, Kate Beckinsale hasn't been in anything in a while and her star seems to be fading and it's being dumped into early September against Tyler Perry and 9.

I'll be surprised if it even makes $20 million.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed May 06, 2009 3:37 am

Boosh,

It's actually one of the best comic book stories of the last 10 years with a huge following in the comic book community. I'm not expecting to do huge dollarrs, but i'm guessing around $50 million
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed May 06, 2009 3:43 am

And he's got Transformers, I don't think it matters what else he has on his slate. I'm really looking forward to Whiteout, as Keyser mentioned, it's one of the most respected comics of recent years and should get the comic fans there if nothing. Melt was good too. Still waiting on Thaw....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next