The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 35 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:08 am

Nothing against Jim Broadbent (a great actor), but Sir Ian McKellan should have beaten him in 2001.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 35 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by IPKI$$ Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:34 am

Fair enough, but don't call him sir.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:12 am

I really liked both Shrek and Monsters Inc.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:25 am

Subjective subjective subjective subjective.

Now that said, Juno was a great movie and deserved its best screenplay Oscar. No Country for Old Men won best picture and best director(s), as well as Supporting actor to Javier Bardem, and No Country was absolutely incredible, they got that so right. Daniel Day got a much deserved best actor win. 2007 was so much better than the bullshit that went down last year at the Oscars. 2007 was the great exception to the rule, as the Oscars almost always suck, but that year they actually got it mostly right.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:27 am

My God, are you still pissed off about The Dark Knight?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:50 am

More The Wrestler I think.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:07 am

IPKI$$ wrote:More The Wrestler I think.

I don't understand people's opinion of Sean Penn's winning Best Actor in "Milk" (that's what you're talking about, right?). I was actually pulling for Richard Jenkins, because I loved "The Visitor," on Oscar Night. Later I saw The Wrestler and I'm like, "What the Hell?" It's was good, but to receive that much praise? I expected much better. I had problems with it for other reasons as well that I won't go into because they have nothing to do with Mickey.

Then I watched "Milk" and I was floored! I said, "My God, that was five or six of the best acting jobs I have ever seen!"

Anyways, I know Penn go the Oscar, but I'm not too sure why people believe that he didn't deserve it.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:38 am

Ugh, No Country for Old Men was horrible, A movie should have an ending, that's what we go to the movies for! What a waste of time

Meanwhile, I saw Duplicity 6/10, It started of great, the first scene gave me a big smile, and i was thinking if the whole movie is like this im going to love it, but then it started to slow down, and jumping through the years, to throw us off from what was happening was pointless. Clive and Julia were great together, but the movie didnt have much else to offer
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:44 pm

My god are you still pissed off about Juno?

And to answer the question, a) yes and b) what Stan said too.

And to respond to W, I'll use my favorite go to movie quote.

The Dude wrote:Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:21 pm

geezer9687 wrote:My god are you still pissed off about Juno?

And to answer the question, a) yes and b) what Stan said too.

And to respond to W, I'll use my favorite go to movie quote.

The Dude wrote:Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

My question was, "Why do people believe Sean Penn didn't deserve an Oscar for his role in Milk?" If you think someone was better, fine, but why do people say he didn't deserve to be a front runner?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:09 pm

To answer your question:

Because I think someone was better.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:20 pm

I'm actually with W on this one. I thought Rourke should get the oscar, then I saw Milk and just knew why Penn got it. He was excellent in that film, and played someone completely different than he'd played before, whereas Rourke kind of just played himself. In fact, if anything, I thought Milk should have won for Best Picture too.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:20 am

I thought Milk was the best film of the year, but I had no problem whatsoever with Slumdog. Right now, my personal Oscar nomination ballot for Best Picture would have said (in order):

1. Milk
2. The Visitor
3. Slumdog Millionaire
4. The Dark Knight
5. Cadillac Records

I don't know if that's how they nominate them, so I should have probably called it the "dream nominations"?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 am

They usually do it that way. The members make a shortlist and the films that most often appear on the shortlists get nominated.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:12 am

I was just talking about the movie in general. I said nothing about rourke or penn. I thought rourke was teriffic, but I think penn hands down deserved it more. I was just referencing the fact that the movie was sorely underrecognized in general.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:03 am

IPKI$$ wrote:I was just referencing the fact that the movie was sorely underrecognized in general.
was it though? i mean, the director hasn't had a hit movie in over a decade.. it was somewhat of a niche film to begin with... yet, with dvd sales, the movie has made back its budget threefold.. it had good marketing.. it was nominated for 8 oscars and won two of em.. the movie made LOTS of "top 10" lists and most people i know either saw it in the theater or have seen it on dvd since..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:31 am

Couple that with the fact that I didn't think it was great and that's why I don't think it was underrated/underrecognized.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:37 am

I thought it was really good, but didn't like it as much as others did.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 am

Well since W didn't think it was that great, then how could it possibly have been? Rolling Eyes
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:47 am

I don't think its underrecognized/underrated because I didn't think it was great... I don't see how that's a bad thing...

I didn't say you had to think that way. I'm not a fascist...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:07 am

undeadmonkey wrote:Ugh, No Country for Old Men was horrible, A movie should have an ending, that's what we go to the movies for! What a waste of time

I didn't think it was as great as everyone made it out to be; I was a bit disappointed; but one of the things I did like about it was the ending. It wasn't a typical ending and it was appropriate to the story.

I"ve slowed down on the movies lately due to recently getting Guitar Hero World Tour. Never played a guitar hero game of any sort before so having 3 of us play it at once is too good to ignore. However I found the time this weekend to watch Factory Girl. Just an average movie (maybe due to the fact that I have seen so many Warhol movies or docos that they have nothing new to present to me) but the acting was great, especially from Guy Pearce. 6.5/10
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:17 pm

[edited by fascists]

Last edited by NSpan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Speaking of fascism...Just watched The End of America. Any of us americans on here who haven't seen it, regardless of your politics, should give it a watch. It's very interesting. And in no way does it preach any kind of political agenda either way. The most objective indictment of the bush years i've yet to see and it uses straight facts. No conspiracy theories. Worth the time.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:23 am

I just re-watched 3 Ninjas. My god, I forgot how awesomely campy/cheesy that movie is Very Happy Very Happy

Ah, childhood favorites FTW!
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:26 am

I used to like 3 Ninjas. Then the Nostalgia Critic showed me how much it really sucked.

I watched Over The Top last night. 1980's cheese at its finest. Also, I noticed a few similarities between Over The Top and Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (such as the competition taking place in Las Vegas, a scene with the hero betting on himself to win the tournament and a scene where the villain calls a meeting with the hero for him to drop out of the tournament).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next