The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 36 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by W Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 am

BarcaRulz wrote:I just re-watched 3 Ninjas. My god, I forgot how awesomely campy/cheesy that movie is :D :D

Ah, childhood favorites FTW!

Which part?

This: "Ro-cky LOVES Em-il-y!"

or

This: "We should run."
"We should hide."
"We should kick their butts!"
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 36 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by BarcaRulz Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 am

W wrote:
BarcaRulz wrote:I just re-watched 3 Ninjas. My god, I forgot how awesomely campy/cheesy that movie is Very Happy Very Happy

Ah, childhood favorites FTW!

Which part?

This: "Ro-cky LOVES Em-il-y!"

or

This: "We should run."
"We should hide."
"We should kick their butts!"

Ro-cky LOVES Em-il-y!
Ro-cky LOVES Em-il-y!

Very Happy
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:52 am

Don't forget the scene where Colt is apparently a basketball god.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:27 am

Recently watched Almost Famous, was a pretty good movie. I don't know how it got all the accolades it did though - come on, Best Picture Golden Globes?!?! It's nowhere near deserving any awards other than maybe Best Song or something like that. 6/10
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 am

Remember that Almost Famous came out back when anything directed by Cameron Crowe was considered good. Of course it was going to win awards.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:45 pm

I finally had two long awaited movies from my Netflix queue reach me this weekend, both thoroughly enjoyed.

10/10 - Amelie: I LOVED the movie... but I hated Amelie. I am a huge fan of Jean-Pierre Jeunet, his vision is amazing but prefer the darker pics he's done (City of Lost Children, Delicatessen). I did enjoy the lighter more fanciful theme of the film, but Amelie's character got under my skin because she was just so outright childish through the majority of the movie, it wasn't even that she was masking her emotions, she was just an airhead. I found myself almost immediately much more interested in Nino's character because there was so much more depth behind him to potentially flesh out, Amelie felt very flat to me until almost the very end when she started to have some sort of personality.

8/10 I <3 Huckabees: this one totally exceeded my expectations and was nowhere near my idea of what the story would be. The movie is very reminiscent of Wes Anderson's style, but more sensical and linear for sure (though there were some just ridiculous scenes/characters... lily tomlin & dustin hoffman weaving through sprinklers while spying comes to mind). I don't know how to explain the movie without giving things away, but I would say the place it goes is entirely predictable throughout, but the route it takes to get there is totally unexpected and enjoyable.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Becs, I think your issue with amelie's character is actually the point of the film. The film is very much about her character growing up in terms of extending her world to fit in someone else. It's essentially a coming-of-age story but told in a very original and passioante way.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:45 pm

I get what you're saying, though there was no passion in her... the problem is there was nothing about HER that made me want to keep watching, it was the people around her, the visuals, the day to day. But her, not so much.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:51 pm

So I guess Amelie didn't steal your heart?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:41 pm

Well, like I said I did love the movie and I guess it's supposed to illustrate her world view so I certainly liked that about her.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:34 am

wes anderson movies aren't linear? sure they are
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:00 am

becs wrote:I get what you're saying, though there was no passion in her...

She created a lot of passion in me, if you know what I mean.... And I'm sure Donte will fight this out to the death too.

Anyway, over the last few days we watched Hot Rod, Resident Evil: Extinction, and Gangs of New York.

First off, Hot Rod. I know this one has caused quite a lot of debate in the past, some hailing it genius, some tearing it apart. I thought it was ok. It was better than a lot of the terrible comedies out there, but certainly nowhere near the best. Reminded me a lot of Napoleon Dynamite, while I could also see Will Ferrell's involvement too. Andy Samberg was bearable, Isla Fisher was annoying as usual. Ian McShane was created as the step father, while I am finding myself really liking Bill Hader's recent characters. The story was very obvious, but I enjoyed a few of the comedic moments, the continuous rolling down the hill for one. Great cameo from Josh Homme too. 6/10

Secondly, Resident Evil: Extinction. Well it was alright. It wasn't downright awful, but it certainly wasn't good. Still hoping this series could pick up but this just seemed like a second rate 28 Days Later. Milla Jovovich can still kick ass and looks hotter than ever too..... 5/10

Lastly, Gangs Of New York. I'd never gotten around to watching this one before. It was pretty good. Daniel Day Lewis was the obvious standout performance, while Cameron Diaz was bearable at best. Some good scenes and a well told story despite the fact I know little about the history of New York gangs. 7/10
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:26 pm

I wouldn't call Hot Rod genius, but it's fucking hilarious.

I watched about 45 minutes of Ghostrider a couple of days ago until I realized I didn't give a fuck about anything going on and finally just turned it off. What a boring story....
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:07 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I watched about 45 minutes of Ghostrider a couple of days ago until I realized I didn't give a fuck about anything going on and finally just turned it off. What a boring story....

Exactly, and it still chaps my ass, that i paid to see it!
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:20 am

Has anyone watched the TV show Shameless? I caught a couple of episodes late at night a while back when I was channel surfing and I found it so entertaining and intriguing that I had to see more. So I have started watching it from the beginning. This is the sort of quality TV show that should be succesful and discussed, not Secret Life... and Gossip Girl etc. The fact that this show was made 5 years ago and I hadn't heard about it is a shame. Full of sex and drugs but "realistically" (to their lifestyle) not gratuiously.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:26 am

I looked it up and apparently they are still making new episodes (there are six series at the moment). It probably is obscure in other countries for these reasons: it isn't American and it can't be sold on previous material. People don't seem to want originality. They just want familiar faces and adaptations, remakes or ripoffs (this is why a ripoff of Twilight is one of the most promoted new series on network television).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 pm

Buscemi wrote:(this is why a ripoff of Twilight is one of the most promoted new series on network television).
not sure which show you're referring to--but i wouldn't give Twilight so much credit as to say anything is a ripoff of it... hasn't Anne Rice been doing the teenybopper take on vampires for several decades now?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Buscemi wrote: People don't seem to want originality. They just want familiar faces and adaptations, remakes or ripoffs (this is why a ripoff of Twilight is one of the most promoted new series on network television).
Actually I was just reading an article to the contrary a couple weeks ago with an exec at NBC. Essentially he was saying it is easy for the networks to rehash or make new projections based on existing material, but more than ever spinoffs and long series shows are not being met with much satisfaction from the viewers, the demand for new series is more than ever. It talked a bit about the fact that they had been pushed into introducing almost all new shows for the summer, but almost all of them were DOA because the viewership is too unpredictable, with a returning show you get people who have been watching since the beginning that will just keep watching for continuity, so even if the show is lackluster it will keep a certain audience, while new original shows people will just stop watching altogether.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:55 pm

I think Buscemi was talking about The Vampire Diaries, which is almost exactly like Twilight, except that it's two vampires fighting over a human girl instead of just one.

And becs, yeah I'd expect someone from NBC to say that. Almost every show they've put out since 2004, rehash, remake, and original alike, has failed miserably. I think NBC only knows that nobody wants a remake of Knight Rider.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:00 pm

Buscemi wrote:I looked it up and apparently they are still making new episodes (there are six series at the moment). It probably is obscure in other countries for these reasons: it isn't American and it can't be sold on previous material. People don't seem to want originality. They just want familiar faces and adaptations, remakes or ripoffs (this is why a ripoff of Twilight is one of the most promoted new series on network television).

Twilight was actually written after The Vampire Diaries, not to support the show though, i think it looks horrible.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:57 am

Out of Africa 70/100: Not much to say but it was decent but drawn out.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:24 am

Tears of the Sun- 5/10 It was alright, I guess. It tried to make a deeper emotional war film, but there wasn't any character development at all.

Quantum of Solace- 7/10 (so far) Easily the best bond movie I've seen and I've only gotten about an hour and 20 minutes into it. The action scenes are fucking fantastic and once you can get past the terrible accents, it's a great spy flick in the vein of the earlier installments of the series which has really lost its way since Goldeneye IMO.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:54 am

Adventureland 7/10

I just watched it was pretty decent. Not really that funny but it told a pretty decent story. Bill Hader was very funny and their were some good lines here and there. I cant believe this film caused such a heated argument though.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:50 am

Death Race- 8/10 Awesome. Exactly what I wanted it to be, and I have still yet to be disappointed by Mr. Milla Jovovich.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:21 am

After all the praise Death Race has received on here recently I'm vaguely intrigued to watch it as its on tv this weekend. The other half certainly wouldn't want to watch it though. I'll have to cook tea to get around her....

Otherwise, we watched Deception last night. Very obvious and cliched. All the stars are likeable, and nice to see Michelle Williams again, but hardly an erotic thriller! The thrills are never thrilling and the eroticism is not erotic at all. The twist ending was obvious from pretty much the opening credits and the story itself was so contrived that the characters seemed far too forced to be believable. A shame because with the actors on show there was a lot of potential for this. 4/10

A couple of nights ago we watched My Left Foot. I haven't watched this in a long, long time, but seriously, every time I watch it I understand why Daniel Day Lewis is regarded as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, actor of our generation. Absolutely stunning performance, and capably supported by the rest of the cast. Great story and brilliant direction too. I can't wait to see what Sheridan does with Brothers now....9/10

IPKI$$ wrote:Quantum of Solace- 7/10 (so far) Easily the best bond movie I've seen and I've only gotten about an hour and 20 minutes into it. The action scenes are fucking fantastic and once you can get past the terrible accents, it's a great spy flick in the vein of the earlier installments of the series which has really lost its way since Goldeneye IMO.

My problem with this movie was that there was far too much action, with little space for anything else. It just became a series of action sequences with nothing to hold my interest to the plot.

Last edited by silversurfer19 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next