The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 34 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:49 am

She enjoyed Blow. I hardly remembered it (I only saw it once).

Public Enemies also made the conversation. I mentioned how it put me to sleep while my sister loved it. Before that, we talked about MRI's, EEG's, seizures, medicines and other medical things.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 34 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by NSpan Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:47 am

did she see Dead Man?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:50 am

We didn't think of Dead Man, but she probably has seen it.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:36 am

What about Don Juan De Marco or The Astronaut's Wife? Or was it just a basic skills Johnny Depp conversation?
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:55 am

We simply talked about Pirates Of The Caribbean, Blow, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, The Libertine and Public Enemies. Rather basic.

Also, The Astronaut's Wife was very forgettable and should not be mentioned in conversation.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:17 am

I Love You, Man: 8.5/10

I really liked it. Funny enough, not overly so. Still waiting for that great funny comedy this year for me. Maybe there won't be one. Very good story though, loved watching it. Feel good movie. Don't know how it could have pissed anyone off to the point of sparking debates, just like Adventureland.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:52 am

were there I Love You Man debates?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:57 am

I complained about the fact the characters were narcisstic and that the script was more concerned about creating new catch phrases and copying the style of Judd Apatow rather than actually creating a decent plot. It attempts to create a new age comedy classic but fails miserably.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:25 am

oh. i loved it
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:29 am

Me too.

"Slappin' the bay-ass! Slappin' the bay-ass!"
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:41 am

watched Amadeus at the legendary Paramount Theater last night.. great crowd, great movie, and what a venue to see it... Kate hadn't seen it since 6th grade, she loved it.. we're gonna catch Lawrence of Arabia (for our first viewing ever) there next week

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 34 Paramount

also rewatched Body Snatchers (the Gabrielle Anwar version).. i remember it being scary when i was younger.. it wasn't horrible, the visuals were still effective.. but, nonetheless, a throwaway horror..

also saw Rumble Fish recently.. i'm still trying to formulate a response.. i didn't especially like it--but, like Tetro, it was SOMETHING.. Coppola is a fuckin' master--even if not all of his movies are 10's
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 am

NSpan wrote:were there I Love You Man debates?

Mostly Buscemi hating it for making up words and being anti-gay.

I thought it was "meh" at best, but I'm gonna have to watch it again.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:10 am

I never actually called it anti-gay. Though I probably would have preferred it had they made Jason Segel's character gay and rewritten most of the script.

Same thing with Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I probably would have liked that had they decided to play up the gay aspect or at least make the two characters bisexual. (Honestly, wouldn't a straight person in a queercore band be a contradiction?)
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:44 am

I don't what the fuck queercore is, but a straight dude with all gay friends was something different and pretty cool. Now, making Kat Denning's character bi would've made that movie 1000x better, sex scene with Alexis Dziena anyone? Twisted Evil
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:45 am

I just watched Lesbian Vampire Killers. Was brilliant for the first hour, but then it started to get a little bit dodgy. Overall I gave it a 7.5/10.

The best thing about it (besides the obvious) is that it is actually really funny, and has some fantastic one-liners, not to mention a cussing priest. Loved the ending shot as well, was a funny throwback to one of the earlier lines in the movie.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:04 am

I read that Lesbian Vampire Killers was nothing more than a ripoff of Shaun Of The Dead.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:28 am

Pretty much is. Only difference is Shaun has the dead, and LVK has vampires. Shaun was better, but I enjoyed both.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:11 am

Gone Baby Gone- God I fucking love this movie. How did this not get any awards attention? The entire cast is fucking incredible. The story is amazing, and Ben Affleck's direction is very impressive. I fear that it may be one of those forgotten obscure masterpieces one day, however. Yet, crap like Fight Club and Braveheart are considered classics.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:12 am

Remember Gone Baby Gone came out in a year where Juno, Atonement and Michael Clayton were somehow considered better. In ten years, we will look at 2007 as being a terrible Oscar year.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:57 am

Absolutely agreed. To be honest the new millennium has yet to see a really good oscar year. I think the closest we've had to a perfect pool are 2003, 2004, and 2005, where the only real weak film ended up being the winners.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:16 am

Finding Neverland was much weaker than Million Dollar Baby. In fact, Millon Dollar Baby deserved to win. (Also, how did Finding Neverland beat The Passion Of The Christ for Best Original Score?)

But 2007 was probably the worst of the worst (worse than 1998). The WGA strike disrupted a lot of the order and absolute insanity occurred. A middle-of-the road film like Michael Clayton managed a Best Picture nomination over Gone Baby Gone, Into The Wild, Ratatouille and The Diving Bell and The Butterfly. Mathieu Alamric was snubbed for Best Actor in favor of Johnny Depp. Cate Blanchett was nominated for Best Actress on a critically-panned sequel. Tilda Swinton (in a performance which wasn't even one of her five best) wins an Academy Award over Amy Ryan's fine performance in Gone Baby Gone. Eddie Vedder's song "Guaranteed" and John C. Reilly's song "Walk Hard" both get snubbed for Best Original Song. And worst of all, Juno becomes the worst screenplay to ever win an Academy Award for that said category. As I said, absolute insanity.

Another disappointing year was 2006. The overrated Pan's Labyrinth wins three Academy Awards, Marie Antoniette wins one Academy Award and Curse Of The Golden Flower manages only one nomination.

Last edited by Buscemi on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:24 am

Pan's Labyrinth is far from overrated and it was robbed of Best Foreign Film.

But I agree that 2007 was a terrible year. I love Juno, but it was not the best original screenplay that year.

And I still have yet to meet anyone who actually liked Michael Clayton, how such a mediocre movie managed 8 nominations still baffles me.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 am

Um... I liked Michael Clayton. Tom Wilkinson was terrific.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:47 am

Tom Wilkinson did deserve his nomination. The rest of the nominations were not deserved (it probably deserved another for Best Cinematography but it wasn't considered in that category*).

*-Though the cinematography may not be that special, it came out pretty damn amazing considering the fact that the film was done by a first-time director and directors often have a hard time when they first use anamorphic lenses. That was some good looking Panavision for a first-time director.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:07 am

I actually hated Million Dollar Baby, and think that 2001 was far worse than 2007. I mean, Gosford Park? Moulin Rouge? Denzel Washington's adequate but not incredibly special Training Day performance beats Russell Crowe's in A Beautiful Mind, which, say what you will about the okay movie, was much better than in Gladiator. Halle Berry, Renee Zelwegger and Nicole Kidman are all decent actresses, but those performances were not all that impressive. Jennifer Connelly, Helen Mirren, and Maggie Smith could have easily been replaced in the Supporting race. And how the FUCK did Shrek beat Monsters Inc.? The only solid races that year were Supporting Actor, Director, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, and Editing.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next