The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 18 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by NSpan Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:06 pm

W wrote:Nope... They live with their moms because
Spoiler:
nah, all drug dealers can make money.. unless you're "Thug #9" living in Gotham City, you can strike out on your own and do a little entrepreneur work yourself without "The Brotherhood" rubbing you out... buy one large quantity for cheap + sell many small quantities for expensive = PROFIT!! the only reason you might end up back at your mom's place is if you smoke all of your profit and can't find the capital to start over

Last edited by NSpan on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 18 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Buscemi Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:10 pm

Deep Cover was a pretty good movie about the drug trade.

"Jumbo barbecue shrimp, motherfucker!"
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:08 pm

W wrote: There's also a chapter showing that many sumo matches are rigged, how to spot a crappy teacher even when their students look smart on tests, does your name actually have an outcome in your future, and others I can't think of at the moment (its been a couple of years). Read it. It will be the best economics book you've ever read Smile

Agreed. Freakonomics was one of the only nonfiction books I ever read cover to cover without getting bored. It was so funny and enlightening. Recommended reading by Donte.

NSpan wrote: the only reason you might end up back at your mom's place is if you smoke all of your profit and can't find the capital to start over

That is most of them I know. They deal to pay for their own habits. Err, know of, you know from friends of friends and reading the internet. Smile

Back on topic, we watched Happy-Go-Lucky last night. Crap. 110 minutes of dialogue with no noticable story or point. Avoid unless you want to know how to not be entertaining while making a film. 1.5 / 5 stars.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Friday The 13th 7/10

Not Bad at all. Did the original justice.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:53 pm

NSpan wrote:
nah, all drug dealers can make money.. unless you're "Thug #9" living in Gotham City, you can strike out on your own and do a little entrepreneur work yourself without "The Brotherhood" rubbing you out... buy one large quantity for cheap + sell many small quantities for expensive = PROFIT!! the only reason you might end up back at your mom's place is if you smoke all of your profit and can't find the capital to start over

Nope. The low level workers make nothing compared to the bosses. And if you bypass your boss and try to go to his supplier to start your own shit, he will be gunnin' for you. That's even if the supplier will deal with you, which they probably won't. That's why most empires are taken over by murder, it's really the only way you can advance in the drug game.

But in the words of Denzel Washington - "Fuck em all, let em kill each other off. That's street justice."
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:55 pm

And a big reason the hand to hand workers live at home is they spend what money they make trying to show off like they make a lot of money. Cars, jewelry, throwing it on girls, etc. I've seen many a person living in the bedroom they grew up in with a Lexus outside and a $10,000 watch.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
NSpan wrote:

Nope. The low level workers make nothing compared to the bosses. And if you bypass your boss and try to go to his supplier to start your own shit, he will be gunnin' for you. That's even if the supplier will deal with you, which they probably won't. That's why most empires are taken over by murder, it's really the only way you can advance in the drug game.
lol... i think you've been playing too much Grand Theft Auto
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:41 pm

NSpan wrote:

You mean GTA doesn't equal real life?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:35 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
NSpan wrote:

You mean GTA doesn't equal real life?

I found out the hard way. Stole a car, got chased by the police. Went to get it spray painted. The cops just followed me in and arrested me. What gives?
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:25 am

I watched La Grande Bouffe a few days ago. This is a movie in which people decide to eat themselves to death. It's a pretty good study of one's brink to insanity, if a little graphic and crude at times.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:14 am

I'm almost certain Grand Theft Auto is based on a true story.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I'm almost certain Grand Theft Auto is based on a true story.

Claude, Tommy, CJ, Niko. All real people. Half of them are dead now though.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Donte77 wrote:

Agreed. Freakonomics was one of the only nonfiction books I ever read cover to cover without getting bored. It was so funny and enlightening. Recommended reading by Donte.

Back on topic, we watched Happy-Go-Lucky last night. Crap. 110 minutes of dialogue with no noticable story or point. Avoid unless you want to know how to not be entertaining while making a film. 1.5 / 5 stars.

Seconded and seconded.

Freakonomics actually opened up my world of reading into the non-fiction arena for the first time in my life despite having read unbelievable amounts most of my life.
If you like Freakonomics, on a very similar vein, but from a different perspective, you should check out Blink. Its a pretty short light read and quite interesting, the author also has a new book out, but every time I drop by Border's intending to pick it up, it's sold out.
I may have already mentioned it, right now, and for the past couple months, I've been reading one equally interesting but significantly more weighty (sometimes it may take days to mentally digest a couple pages, other times I can breeze through a chapter no problem) called The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable. So far it has been an invaluable lesson for me in thinking outside the norm. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to really have their world view flipped on its head. (We really need a book review/recommendation forum.)

As far as Happy-Go-Lucky... I felt exactly like you after seeing it back around awards season, absolutely like nails on a chalkboard, but at the time the only other people who knew about it seemed to think is was or would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Glad to see I'm not the only uncultured swine who found it awful.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 pm

hey Candy Suxx and Jizzy B are also real people from GTA Wink
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Right now I'm reading a couple of poker books I got for my birthday (quite randomly). Mike Caro's Book of Tells and Doyle Brunson's Super System. By looking at poker from different points of view, you can really look at other aspects of life from different points of view.

Both are very good and reccomended (Super System is referred to as "The Bible of Poker").
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:50 pm

becs wrote:
Donte77 wrote:

Seconded and seconded.

Freakonomics actually opened up my world of reading into the non-fiction arena for the first time in my life despite having read unbelievable amounts most of my life.
If you like Freakonomics, on a very similar vein, but from a different perspective, you should check out Blink. Its a pretty short light read and quite interesting, the author also has a new book out, but every time I drop by Border's intending to pick it up, it's sold out.
I may have already mentioned it, right now, and for the past couple months, I've been reading one equally interesting but significantly more weighty (sometimes it may take days to mentally digest a couple pages, other times I can breeze through a chapter no problem) called The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable. So far it has been an invaluable lesson for me in thinking outside the norm. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to really have their world view flipped on its head. (We really need a book review/recommendation forum.)

As far as Happy-Go-Lucky... I felt exactly like you after seeing it back around awards season, absolutely like nails on a chalkboard, but at the time the only other people who knew about it seemed to think is was or would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Glad to see I'm not the only uncultured swine who found it awful.

More agreements on the way. Read Blink and thought it was pretty interesting. Read The Black Swan and thought the same as you did. It was interesting but not really light reading for the most part and got quite heavy for a few chapters. I am on the list at our library for that new Gladwell book also which a friend is reading now and said is great.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:51 pm

Watched Legend last night after having a Smallville marathon. That movie just never gets old. Tim Curry is brilliant and even Tom Cruise did a decent job. Smile
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Idiocracy 8/10

Mike Judge is a funny motherfucker. Im going to leave it at that.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Season 2 of Weeds was almost as good as Season 1. Half way through Season 3, and not enjoying it nearly as much as the first 2.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Yeah Keyser, I just started Series 5 and it has pretty much been downhill since the end of S3
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:40 pm

Six, I loved the cliffhanger at the end of Season 2, but once I saw how it was resolved in eipisode 1 of Season 3, I could just feel it starting to roll downhill
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:49 am

numbersix_99 wrote:Yeah Keyser, I just started Series 5 and it has pretty much been downhill since the end of S3

I'm actually enjoying S5. S3 was meh for the most part and S4 was pretty bad, but i like that comedy is actually back into Weeds in season 5, although some characters are annoying as hell now (COUGH*CELIAandSHANE*COUGH)
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:50 am

Don't forget Andy
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:59 am

Man on Fire, 7/10, was really good, though felt slow in some parts
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:40 am

Keyser Soze wrote:Don't forget Andy

He is a great character IMO. The latest S5 episode though was weird in regards to his character.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next