The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE MUSIC OF THE FANTAVERSE - THE EXTENDED TOUR

+22
Alyson
Chienfantome
Mannix2121
JackBurton
W
Donte77
BarcaRulz
silversurfer19
mfrendo
geezer9687
undeadmonkey
SuperShaan
leestu
numbersix_99
Synestro
transformers2
Keyser Soze
A_Roode
becs
JackO
Buscemi
Shrykespeare
26 posters

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Go down

THE MUSIC OF THE FANTAVERSE - THE EXTENDED TOUR - Page 9 Empty Re: THE MUSIC OF THE FANTAVERSE - THE EXTENDED TOUR

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:44 am

Shryke,

Have you seen this guy recently? I don't know what netherworld deity he made his deal with, but I'd like to look that demon up. This guy looks and sounds better now than he did 20 years ago. Saw him solo in DC about 5 or 6 years ago and then went back down to see Roxy Music the following year, and he is still amazing. Apparently, only we get older. The age of the women hanging on his arms stay the same. cheers
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

THE MUSIC OF THE FANTAVERSE - THE EXTENDED TOUR - Page 9 Empty Re: THE MUSIC OF THE FANTAVERSE - THE EXTENDED TOUR

Post by Synestro Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Sick and staying home from work I found this aerial video of the Grand Canyon coupled with A Perfect Circle's Gravity to be qutie relaxing. Couldn't find an actual video for an awesome song.

Synestro
Synestro
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:02 pm

For those of you that like Joy Division/New Order, here's a band I discovered because of their cover of Ceremony. They had a few other decent songs as well. They were part of the Boston music scene in the early 90's that included The Pixies, The Blake Babies (Julianna Hatfield) and The Lemonheads.

This is Galaxie 500

Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Yeah, I do like Galaxie 500, they were one of the bands who kicked off the whole shoegazer slow-core sub-genre of indie music, inspiring the likes of Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Red House Painters, and these guys, Low:

numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:46 am

Badass song from a badass band to a badass movie. Queen with Princes of the Universe

Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:09 am

Ahhh, Highlander. Those were the days.

I guess that makes my video pick (another "F" pick) for Friday, December 12th appropriate, given that the lead singer of this group actually appeared as a villain in a couple of eps of the Highlander TV show.

Always liked this song (their first hit) more than their two #1 hits, "She Drives Me Crazy" and "Good Thing".

Fine Young Cannibals - Johnny Come Home

Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:46 am

Shrykespeare wrote:Ahhh, Highlander. Those were the days.

I guess that makes my video pick (another "F" pick) for Friday, December 12th appropriate, given that the lead singer of this group actually appeared as a villain in a couple of eps of the Highlander TV show.

Always liked this song (their first hit) more than their two #1 hits, "She Drives Me Crazy" and "Good Thing".

This is without a doubt their best song. In fact every song from this album is better than "She drives Me Crazy" Who would've thought someone from here would end up as Fatboy Slim? Surprised
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

leestu wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:Ahhh, Highlander. Those were the days.

This is without a doubt their best song. In fact every song from this album is better than "She drives Me Crazy" Who would've thought someone from here would end up as Fatboy Slim? Surprised

My issue with FYC was always that the drummer and the bass player were the ones responsible for the breakup of The English Beat, an unforgivable act if there ever was one.

Stu - Fatboy Slim was a Housemartin not a Fine Young Cannibal, and speaking of the Housemartins, here's a catchy little diddy from them (And hey, who doesn't love claymation?):

Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Synestro Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:51 pm

Love the name of this band. The Texas Hippie Coalition. The lead singer looks like nothing I had imagined. This is how I felt when I first heard moguls was shutting down:

Synestro
Synestro
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:06 pm

Personal nostalgia here for me with 'The Big Goodbye.' I miss the days when bands actually had musicians and technical prowess. Most of the crap today is so raw and unpolished that it doesn't even know what the word finesse means. From 1993 so of course nobody heard it. Driving rhythm, pounding bass and an all out attack on the drums. Throw in Jack Russell and his bad haircut? Rock n Roll, baby!

A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:30 pm

Do me (and yourselves) a favor, okay guys? If you're going to post by "quoting" a previous post, at least take the video portion of the post out, so we don't have the same video posted two or three times, okay? Just sayin'...

My video pick for Saturday, December 13, is another "F" group, and one of the funkiest songs ever written. One of the first ska punk songs ever recorded, and one of the coolest.

Fishbone - Party at Ground Zero

Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Shrykespeare wrote:Do me (and yourselves) a favor, okay guys? If you're going to post by "quoting" a previous post, at least take the video portion of the post out, so we don't have the same video posted two or three times, okay? Just sayin'...

My video pick for Saturday, December 13, is another "F" group, and one of the funkiest songs ever written. One of the first ska punk songs ever recorded, and one of the coolest.

Fishbone - Party at Ground Zero

Shryke,

No problem on the video quoting. It's like your pulling CDs right off my shelf for your picks.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:46 am

Keyser Soze wrote:
leestu wrote:

My issue with FYC was always that the drummer and the bass player were the ones responsible for the breakup of The English Beat, an unforgivable act if there ever was one.

Stu - Fatboy Slim was a Housemartin not a Fine Young Cannibal, and speaking of the Housemartins, here's a catchy little diddy from them (And hey, who doesn't love claymation?):

Fuck! You're right of course. My bad Embarassed Twenty five years of music and movie trivia and a couple of files in my abused brain get merged. That'll teach me for not verifying before posting.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:21 am

Alternative music with two guys named Stu... wouldn't trade it for anything. Just glad one of you isn't Disco Stu...

Continuing with the F's, here's my video pick for Sunday, December 14th. This is a song that I loved from the first time I heard it, a far cry from their previous hit, "Hey Man Nice Shot", which was also cool, but in a much different way. This is one, however, that you can listen to over and over again.

Filter - Take a Picture

Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:09 am

Shrykespeare wrote:Alternative music with two guys named Stu... wouldn't trade it for anything. Just glad one of you isn't Disco Stu...

Shryke,

I've been called Disco Stu ever since the first episode he appeared in. This was a gift from my wife for our very first Christmas together done by an actual animator on The Simpsons.

Unfortunately, it only allowed about half of the drawing to appear. You can't see a statue of Homer as the Silver Surfer sitting on top of the monitor.

THE MUSIC OF THE FANTAVERSE - THE EXTENDED TOUR - Page 9 AHPreviewCover2

Last edited by Keyser Soze on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:08 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:Alternative music with two guys named Stu... wouldn't trade it for anything. Just glad one of you isn't Disco Stu...

Shryke,

I've been called Disco Stu ever since the first episode he appeared in. This was a gift from my wife for our very first Christmas together done by an actual animator on The Simpsons.

THE MUSIC OF THE FANTAVERSE - THE EXTENDED TOUR - Page 9 GalleryPiece

You'll have to cut and paste it as I can't seem to get the photo to appear, but it's worth it.

Awesome........just awesome.

Disco Stu gets a family "woo-hoo" in my house every time he appears in an episode we are watching.

Sorry about the quoting Shryke - my bad. Evil or Very Mad
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Synestro Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Pushing back the curtains here and letting whoever is out there take a look inside, this is my absolute favorite song of all time. I feel like Phil was still climbing the mountain of coolness when this song came out on the Face Value album and reached the apex somewhere between "No Jacket Required" and the Genesis reunion of "Invisible Touch".

Synestro
Synestro
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:29 pm

Keyzer, you look a bit like when John Waters was on The Simpsons (Homer's Phobia, excellent episode).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:09 am

Buscemi wrote:Keyzer, you look a bit like when John Waters was on The Simpsons (Homer's Phobia, excellent episode).

I can definitely see that especially with all the 60's and 70's kitsch that I collect.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:55 am

Here's a little post-punk power pop from a band that probably would have hit it bigger if their lead guy hadn't locked himself in the garage with the motorcycle running. Their debut album would be on my desert island list.

This is Material Issue

Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:47 am

Well, Keyser, it had to happen eventually... you picked a video that I'm not completely gaga over.

Truth is, I could never stand Material Issue. Don't really know why, but it's probably because the lead singer's voice just grates on me. Not as much as the guy from Public Image Ltd. (shudder), who was Johnny Rotten. Sorry music purists, his voice to me just sounds like fingers on chalkboard. Jim Ellison wasn't that bad, but close.

I don't have a new "F" video to go for Monday, December 15th, so I'll pull out a favorite by one of my three favorite bands of all time (trust me, if this thread hangs around for a few months, you'll be getting a LOT of videos by this group):

Depeche Mode - Happiest Girl

Dedicated to the late, great Bettie Page.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Shryke: Hope you don't mind if I play one? I really got into Depeche Mode around the "Some Great Reward", "Black Celebration" and "Music For The Masses" era. Although I still really like Depeche Mode enough to have purchased "For The Masses", the Depeche Mode Tribute album with tracks like Smashing Pumpkins doing "Never Let Me Down Again" and Rammstein doing "Stripped". But it doesn't have anybody doing my 3 fave DM songs "A Question Of Lust", "Here Is The House" and this one:-

leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Shrykespeare wrote:Well, Keyser, it had to happen eventually... you picked a video that I'm not completely gaga over.

Truth is, I could never stand Material Issue. Don't really know why, but it's probably because the lead singer's voice just grates on me. Not as much as the guy from Public Image Ltd. (shudder), who was Johnny Rotten. Sorry music purists, his voice to me just sounds like fingers on chalkboard. Jim Ellison wasn't that bad, but close.

I don't have a new "F" video to go for Monday, December 15th.

Shryke,

No problem. Not every alternative group floats everyone's boat. I'm with you on the PIL stuff. Rotten's voice is well, just rotten. No more F's? Thought you would have hit us with something by Fun Boy 3 or The Fall.

Christina is the much bigger Depeche Mode fan in this household. I like them, but never went ga ga over them. Only saw them in concert once, but I think she saw them like 10 times.

My pick for the day is a little Vally Girl music with The Plimsouls:

Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Synestro Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Marching to a band of a different genre I'm going with Chevelle-An Evening with El Diablo.

Synestro
Synestro
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Keyser Soze wrote: No more F's? Thought you would have hit us with something by Fun Boy 3 or The Fall.

Christina is the much bigger Depeche Mode fan in this household. I like them, but never went ga ga over them. Only saw them in concert once, but I think she saw them like 10 times.

I've seen them five times. They are awesome, even 25 years later (though the first time for me was actually in 1991 on the Violator tour).

As for the F's, somedays I go through my almanac, and some days I don't. Depends how much time I have. And then there are those days that I do and don't find anything great. Just went through about eight videos by The Fixx, many of which were good, but not spectacular. And BTW, my almanac only goes up through 1996, so don't count on anything by Fun Boy 3 (whoever they are) or The Fall. I'll leave that to you. Rolling Eyes
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next