The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPEARE'S TIPS: THE FILMS OF 9/25 - Surrogates, Fame, Pandorum, Capitalism: A Love Story, et al.

+7
brockman81
A_Roode
numbersix_99
undeadmonkey
BanksIsDaFuture
Buscemi
Shrykespeare
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SPEARE'S TIPS: THE FILMS OF 9/25 - Surrogates, Fame, Pandorum, Capitalism: A Love Story, et al. - Page 2 Empty Re: SPEARE'S TIPS: THE FILMS OF 9/25 - Surrogates, Fame, Pandorum, Capitalism: A Love Story, et al.

Post by Buscemi Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:23 am

You mentioned that it based on a comic book. But how many people have actually read the comic book? Jonah Hex is a rather obscure character and an adaptation is probably only happening because DC is getting the idea that they can adapt anything after the success of The Dark Knight (this is also why The Losers is being made). This reminds me of when Marvel did that Man-Thing movie back in 2004 because they figured that Spider-Man's success could allow them to adapt any comic book property (at the same time, adaptations of Iron Fist, The Black Widow and Mort The Dead Teenager were planned but never happened).

Also, I expect to see Jonah Hex and Clash Of The Titans trade release dates. Jonah Hex is apparently almost finished and is obviously of lesser priority than Clash Of The Titans. Clash Of The Titans is of a much larger scale than Jonah Hex and it would make more sense to open that film in the Summer. Also, the director of Jonah Hex's last film (Horton Hears A Who) opened in March while the director of Clash Of The Titans's last film (The Incredible Hulk) opened in June.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

SPEARE'S TIPS: THE FILMS OF 9/25 - Surrogates, Fame, Pandorum, Capitalism: A Love Story, et al. - Page 2 Empty Re: SPEARE'S TIPS: THE FILMS OF 9/25 - Surrogates, Fame, Pandorum, Capitalism: A Love Story, et al.

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 am

Whaaaaa - Jonah Hex was written by Neveldine/Taylor?

It just became my most anticipated movie of 2009.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 am

In other this weekend news, my theater is getting I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, so I expect it to open in a lot more than 115 theaters. Maybe more in the 300-400 range. And I'll probably check it out sometime this weekend.

Also, there will be a nationwide sneak preview of Whip It! Saturday night if any of you guys are interested.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Whaaaaa - Jonah Hex was written by Neveldine/Taylor?

It just became my most anticipated movie of 2009.

Yes, they wrote Jonah Hex. Their third produced script in only a year's time.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:10 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:In other this weekend news, my theater is getting I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell, so I expect it to open in a lot more than 115 theaters. Maybe more in the 300-400 range. And I'll probably check it out sometime this weekend.

It's also running in St. Louis. If my sister still lived in St. Louis, she would probably be the first one in line.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:22 pm

Here's what you would get from the average movie-going crowd (ages 15-25) if you asked who these people are:

- Gary Oldman - "An old actor guy?" or possibly "One of the dudes from Batman?"
- Malkovich "An old actor guy? I'm not sure what he was in, though."
- Megan Fox - "She's the hot girl from Transformers."

Sad state, but true.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:20 am

W wrote:
- Malkovich "An old actor guy? I'm not sure what he was in, though."

Or as John Cusack describes him:

"Who the fuck is John Malkovich?"

"Oh, he's an actor. He's one of the great American actors of the 20th century."

"Oh yeah? What's he been in?"

"Lots of things. That jewel thief movie, for example. He's very well respected."

Pretty much sums him up...
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:45 am

SUPER LEAGUES UPDATE

Well, with three days to go in the July leagues (including today), here's a lowdown on how the July Super League rounds are shaping up, and if my projected numbers for this weekend are borne out.

ULTIMATE FY

IM: none. The winner will probably be J-Man, and he already has one.
Eliminated: mfrendo, BanksIsDaFuture, SuperShaan, BarcaRulz, Lordagoth, brockman81.

ULTIMATE HY

IM: J-Man (definitely) and either kblane or undeadmonkey
Eliminated: Dantic, mfrendo, SuperShaan, BarcaRulz, Nightbird, delfinasu, transformers2.
On the bubble: Scripps, chugsthemonkey, brockman81, numbersix, BanksIsDaFuture and Jake07 will tussle it out for the last two spots in the YZ.

BOX OFFICE FY

IM: JackO, unless Love Happens can outgross Tyler Perry by $3M this weekend, in which case, nobody gets one, because I already have one.
Eliminated: transformers2. J-Man and BarcaRulz lose their IMs.
On the bubble: the final four spots will be among the following seven, which means three will be out of: JohnErle, mutard7, Aquamann, Chienfantome, thswrestler, Donte and Dantic (who has an IM).

BOX OFFICE HY

IM: JackO, Buscemi
Eliminated: englishozzy, mfrendo, binkley, transformers2, Nycguy84, TBB, longhorn419, akibaali. BarcaRulz will lose his IM.
On the bubble: SWarehouse, Donte, thswrestler and J-Man will fight it out for the last two spots. A big weekend from Surrogates might also put jess_sayin in danger.

And it looks like the Regulars champs are going to be Aquamann (Ultimate) and JackO (Box Office).

Bad news for mfrendo and transformers, who will be out of all tournaments after this round.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Man Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:01 am

Gaining IMs, losing IMs and getting kicked out of a league all in the same weekend.

J-Man
Juno MacGuff
Juno MacGuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:12 am

I saw Pandorum tonight with a friend. We found it very disappointing and I felt the trailer lied to me.

Also, Surrogates is looking like it will have a soft opening while Cloudy may hold well.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:43 am

Steve Mason:

Weekend Box Office Forecast: CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF MEATBALLS Again!

PLEASE NOTE: Slightly revised at 11:30p Friday night. A little more for Cloudy, a stronger Friday for Fame, but still short of $10M for the weekend and a little less for The Infortmant!.

Sony's Cloudy with a Chancy of Meatballs is proving to be a veritable buffet for family audiences as the 3D animation project will coast to a second consecutive weekend win. My sources tell me that Cloudy is holding up extraordinarily well with no other family fare in the market, seizing another $5.5M on to start the weekend and a possible $22M 3-day.

The Bruce Willis sci-fi vehicle Surrogates (Disney) is headed for a distant #2 after a lukewarm $5.1M opening day. The picture is targetting something in the $14.5M range. The re-tooled 2009 version of Fame doesn't appear to be the tonic that will cure what ails troubled MGM. With a $3.8M Friday, the remake will struggle to reach $9.7M, possibly falling just short of the benchmark.

Holdover The Informant! (Warner Bros) is holding strong for a likely 4th-place finish. The Steven Soderberg comedy featuring a pudgy Matt Damon sold approximately $2.2M in tickets on Friday, and it may hit $6.7M for a 10-day cume of $20.8M. Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Lionsgate) will probably round out the Top 5 with a possible $5.5M. Meanwhile, I am told that the genre pic Pandorum (Overture) will finish the frame with an underwhelming $4M or so.

EXCLUSIVE STEVE MASON EARLY FRIDAY & 3-DAY ESTIMATES FOR 9/25-27
1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (Sony) - $5.5M Fri - $22M 3-day - $56.9M cume
2. NEW - Surrogates (Disney) - $5.1M Fri - $14.5M 3-day - $14.5M cume
3. NEW - Fame (MGM) - $3.8M Fri - $9.8M 3-day - $9.8M cume
4. The Informant! (Warner Bros) - $2.2M Fri - $6.7M 3-day - $20.8M cume
5. Tyler Perry's I Can Do Bad All By Myself (Lionsgate) - $1.65M Fri - $5.5M 3-day - $45.4M cume
* NEW - Pandorum (Overture) - $1.5M Fri - $4M 3-day - $4M cume
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:56 am

One I called, one I whiffed on. I said that Fame would be under $10 M, but I thought that Surrogates would easily win the weekend.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by johnErle Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:28 pm

That strong hold for Cloudy just might be enough to eliminate me from the BO Super League. If I survive, it'll be by a whisker.
johnErle
johnErle
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

http://www.dynamicrangeradio.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:44 pm

I think you'll be fine, johnerle. Only three people chasing you have Cloudy, and one of those three (Donte) is too far behind you to catch you. The other three chasing you (mutard, Dantic, Chien) don't have enough juice left to catch you either.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 am

And the limited openers on Friday...

Limited Openings:
- 'I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell' | $145,000 | 115 theaters
- 'Coco Before Chanel' | $96,000 | 39 theaters
- 'Capitalism: A Love Story' | $62,000 | 4 theaters
- 'Paranormal Activity' | $34,000 | 12 theaters
- 'The Boys Are Back' | $13,000 | 6 theaters

Capitalism does well while the rest disappoint.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Why is BOM not updating!
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:35 pm

They did update.

-Cloudy drops just 18% percent.
-The openers open very soft (Fame barely gets $10 million).
-Jennifer's Body drops just 49% because Fox padded the gross with Whip It sneak previews.
-Coco Before Chanel actually opened in 5 theatres instead of 39.
-Capitalism does $60,000 per theatre.
-I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell and The Boys Are Back do average numbers at best.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 pm

BOM's Sunday estimates:

Top 5

5 points - Cloudy
4 points - Surrogates
3 points - Fame
2 points - Informant
1 points - Tyler Perry

PTA

5 points - Capitalism
4 points - Coco
3 points - Boys are Back
2 points - Cloudy
1 point - Surrogates

SUPER LEAGUE UPDATES

These are about 90% set in stone.

ULTIMATE FULL-YEAR ROUND SEVEN

Winner: J-Man (No IM)
Out: BanksIsDaFuture, BarcaRulz, brockman81, SuperShaan, Lordagoth, mfrendo
On the bubble: None. Nine points separates chugsthemonkey from BanksIsDaFuture, and when Sunday's numbers become finalized, there's never that much variation.

ULTIMATE HALF-YEAR ROUND TWO

Winners: kblane, J-Man
Out: Jake07, Dantic, delfinasu, mfrendo, Nightbird, SuperShaan, transformers2
On the bubble: Five players are within 5 1/2 points of each other, so it will come down to User Rating changes. BanksIsDaFuture and chugsthemonkey are currently above the line, while brockman81, numbersix99 and BarcaRulz are currently below it.

BOX OFFICE FULL-YEAR ROUND SEVEN

Winner: JackO
Out: Chienfantome, Donte77, transformers2
Lose their IMs: Dantic, J-Man, BarcaRulz

BOX OFFICE HALF-YEAR ROUND TWO

Winners: JackO, Buscemi
Out: SWarehouse, akibaali, longhorn_419, J-Man, TBB, transformers2, Nycguy84, binkley, mfrendo, englishozzy
Loses his IM: BarcaRulz
On the bubble: None

REGULARS ULTIMATE

Winner: Aquamann2001
Runners-Up: JackO, Buscemi and W (too close to determine an order yet)

REGULARS BOX OFFICE

Winner: JackO
Runners-Up: Buscemi, Keyser Soze
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2