The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your favorite movie trailers?

+6
Buscemi
undeadmonkey
NSpan
geezer9687
transformers2
BarcaRulz
10 posters

Go down

Your favorite movie trailers? Empty Your favorite movie trailers?

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 am

Well, it's pretty self explanatory. My top 10 would be:

10. The Matrix Reloaded:

9. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl:

8. The Mothman Prophecies:

7. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

6. 300:

5. The Matrix

4. Pineapple Express:

3. Lord of the Ring: The Two Towers:

2. The Dark Knight:

1. Comedian:

Honorable Mentions: The Hangover, The Blair Witch Project, Cloverfield, Face/Off, Watchmen, Terminator 4, Sin City, Tropic Thunder, Enchanted, Toy Story 2, Death at a Funeral.

I know mine are mostly recent, but i feel that trailer have been getting better and better as time goes by. Also, to be honest, i don't remember that many trailer from when i was young, these newer ones are the ones that stuck.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Your favorite movie trailers? Empty Re: Your favorite movie trailers?

Post by transformers2 Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:07 am

Nice list Barca there are some really great trailers in there. My list i am too lazy to post links right now but here they are.

2.The Dark Knight[The first full length]
3.Transformers[the first full length]
4.The Hangover
5.Sin City
6.Superbad
7.Cloverfield[the infamous teaser]
8.Smokin' Aces
9.Transformers:Revenge Of The Fallen
10.Old School
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:19 am

Definitely 300 and The Dark Knight. Transformers had a great one too. Watchmen had a great one. Inglourious Basterds trailer is awesome. The Terminator Salvation one was awesome too.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:21 am

transformers2 wrote:Nice list Barca there are some really great trailers in there. My list i am too lazy to post links right now but here they are.

2.The Dark Knight[The first full length]
3.Transformers[the first full length]
4.The Hangover
5.Sin City
6.Superbad
7.Cloverfield[the infamous teaser]
8.Smokin' Aces
9.Transformers:Revenge Of The Fallen
10.Old School

Smokin Aces was on my radar as well. Although it was because i remember it having Dead Reckoning by Clint Mansell, when i youtubed it, it didn't have it and i got pissed. Very Happy
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:26 am

good call on 300--that's one of the best trailers i've ever seen (in fact, it's probably better than the movie itself).. pineapple express is another great pick..

though, honestly, i've tried to stop watching trailers altogether (at least until after i've seen the movie itself).. all too often, they spoil the story.. when a movie comes out with positive reviews, i try to ignore as much of the marketing as possible in order to see it with a clean slate and no expectations..

in that regard, i suppose i agree with you on your #1 pick
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:32 am

NSpan wrote:good call on 300--that's one of the best trailers i've ever seen (in fact, it's probably better than the movie itself).. pineapple express is another great pick..

though, honestly, i've tried to stop watching trailers altogether (at least until after i've seen the movie itself).. all too often, they spoil the story.. when a movie comes out with positive reviews, i try to ignore as much of the marketing as possible in order to see it with a clean slate and no expectations..

in that regard, i suppose i agree with you on your #1 pick

I agree with that for the most part, but i still love trailers. I would never go late to a movie because i don't want to miss them, especially during the US summer movie season or winter movie season.

In regards to trailers ruining movies, it's obviously because the trailer is not well made. IMO a well made trailer should tell you the basic plot, while still keeping most of the good parts for the movie itself (which is why i get pissed at comedies that put all the funny parts in the trailer and then you're just left with crap for the rest of the movie).
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:04 am

I'm the same way, I have to be at the theater on time to see the previews, but it is very disappointing when the trailer gives too much away. For example, i found out who the killer is on The Perfect Getaway by watching the trailer or tv spot, whichever it was.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:14 am

The Wrestler also would make my list of top trailers. I think the Shutter Island trailer is really really well done.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:29 am

I'm going to need some time on my list but here are a few words.

I absolutely hated the Cloverfield teaser. The special shoot footage is poorly acted and written with video game quality effects and it was pretty foolish of the producers not to put a title onscreen.

And I never understood why people found the 300 trailer so good. It was just slow-motion shots of people falling down cliffs and people screaming. They never really try to explain what the film is about or why they adapted an obscure Frank Miller work. The trailer just didn't do it for me.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:43 am

Okay, my list:

1.Terminator 2: Judgment Day (special shoot teaser)
2.Wall-E (second teaser)
3.The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (online trailer)
4.Comedian
5.Psycho (Hitchcock trailer)
6.Face/Off (teaser)
7.Pulp Fiction
8.Werewolf Women Of The S.S.
9.Kill Bill (teaser)
10.Independence Day (teaser)
11.The Incredibles (teaser)
12.Satan's Alley
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:34 am

Buscemi wrote:And I never understood why people found the 300 trailer so good. It was just slow-motion shots of people falling down cliffs and people screaming. They never really try to explain what the film is about or why they adapted an obscure Frank Miller work. The trailer just didn't do it for me.
were you really that baffled by it?

the battle of Thermopylae is a pretty well-known historical event.. The 300 Spartans was a successful movie in the 60s... Frank Miller was riding high on a well-received Sin City--and he's been a HUGE force in the comic book industry for nearly 30 years.. as you may or may not know, film adaptations of comic books have recently become popular (and quite successful, by the way)..

all that aside, the trailer is a DELIGHT to the senses--stunning visuals combined with the perfect choice of music.. if the medium of "movie trailer" is an art-form, i daresay it's a masterpiece..

so, do you really not like it? or do you not like it simply because everybody else in the world does like it?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:19 pm

The first two that come right to mind were the last two Harry POtter trailers. No matter what I ended up thinking about those movies as a whole, the trailers were exciting, engaging and fantastic. None of the other blockbusters' trailers made me want to see the film as much as those trailers.

Good music can make a trailer: my recent favorites have been The Spirit (with the song "Choke", a terrific song that made the trailer the only thing good about anything connected with that shitty movie), and the new "Daybreakers" trailer which has Placebo's remake of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill".

Top Ten all-time favorite trailers? Jeez, that's an impossible task for me.

ETA: Mothman Prophecies? Barca, you surprise me. I loved that movie! (And it is a damn good trailer.)
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Kinda surprised there's been no mention of Jaws so far.

Here are some of mine off the top of my head.

1. Jaws
2. Psycho
3. A Clockwork Orange
4. Trainspotting
5. Starship Troopers
6. Fight Club
7. La Dolce Vita
8. Amelie
9. Taxi Driver
10. The Shining
11. Star Wars: A Phantom Menace (yes I watched this trailer over 100 times before the movie was released and could recite the entire thing. I probably still could now...)

And Boussh, I think you are letting your dislike of the movie hinder your impression of the trailer. If anything Miller's work is perfect for adapting into a trailer. Just very impressive visuals. What more can you need. I guess that's why even The Spirit looked good from the teaser. And the trailer must have been good because it got an audience from a movie based on an "obscure comic". Surely it must have done something right.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:45 pm

Shrykespeare wrote:The first two that come right to mind were the last two Harry POtter trailers. No matter what I ended up thinking about those movies as a whole, the trailers were exciting, engaging and fantastic. None of the other blockbusters' trailers made me want to see the film as much as those trailers.

Good music can make a trailer: my recent favorites have been The Spirit (with the song "Choke", a terrific song that made the trailer the only thing good about anything connected with that shitty movie), and the new "Daybreakers" trailer which has Placebo's remake of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill".

Top Ten all-time favorite trailers? Jeez, that's an impossible task for me.

ETA: Mothman Prophecies? Barca, you surprise me. I loved that movie! (And it is a damn good trailer.)

As did I. It was one of my most looked forward to (hence the trailer being in the top ten). I was only 15 when it came out and it scared the shit out of me.

Now, why exactly do i surprise you?
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:36 pm

I liked the movie 300. But the trailer didn't do a very good job of telling you what the film was about. It was just shots of people screaming and falling off cliffs.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:36 pm

The Psycho trailer was very good. I liked the Birds one as well.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:47 pm

Buscemi wrote:And I never understood why people found the 300 trailer so good. It was just slow-motion shots of people falling down cliffs and people screaming. They never really try to explain what the film is about or why they adapted an obscure Frank Miller work. The trailer just didn't do it for me.

Buscemi wrote:I liked the movie 300. But the trailer didn't do a very good job of telling you what the film was about. It was just shots of people screaming and falling off cliffs.

OH! Now I understand...
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 pm

Thinking of the best ten this early is impossible but I remember the trailers for a few movies that MADE me see the movie so I guess that means they were good trailers. These may or may not make my top ten but they were all very memorable

The Fall

The Matrix

Agreed about Shutter Island. Fan-Fucking-Tastic trailer.

The Prophecy

Lucky Number Slevin

The Hangover (Tyson air drumming sold me)

The Blair Witch Project

Domino

Underworld (well Kate Beckinsale in black leather really)

And the new movie Legion.

Bad trailers are probably more useful. Bride Wars looked fucking terrible. My wife and her sister watched it and I had to leave the room and put in headphones so the bad writing wouldn't get into my head while I was writing. LOL And the trailer showed the funniest parts of the movie Rolling Eyes
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:31 am

I have to disagree about Shutter Island, It's not a great trailer. I think its a good trailer it makes me want to see it, but I think that it gives too much away. For example it's pretty easy to tell who the 67th (or whatever number it was) patient is. Unless that isnt the main point of the movie. IF that is the case disregard all that i just said.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:22 am

Hell they could play that trailer and then come on in the last 10 seconds and have Scorsese say "The Killer is Blankety Blank." and I would still watch it. And someone said earlier. Scorsese + Dicaprio + Lehaine = Watching That Shit!
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:23 am

I should have included the trailer for Anatomy Of A Murder in my list. To show the cast and director taking the stand at the beginning of the trailer is classic.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:53 pm

The Truman Show
Red Eye
Requiem for a Dream
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Resident Evil (Umbrella Corp commercials)
The Machinist
Dark City
Watchmen
Batman Begins
TDK
Cloverfield
Blair Witch

Red Eye is brilliant because for the first half of the trailer it genuinely looks like a romcom, and Blair Witch/Cloverfield both had INSANE trailer buzz, the rest I just like.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down