The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by W Sat May 30, 2009 7:16 pm

Buscemi wrote:I prefer Anthony Hopkins' Nixon over Langella's Nixon. I don't know why but I guess Hopkins simply fit the role better.

And I felt Michael Sheen gave the better of the two performances in Frost/Nixon.

Believability factor = not even close. Hopkins didn't have the voice, the mannerisms, the look, etc (but to be fair I have only seen part of his portaryl).
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Buscemi Sat May 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Some of Langella's performance felt like camp. I never got that with Hopkins. But then, Langella basically built a career out of camp and lesser material.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat May 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Yeah, I get the whole "This is the guy from Eddie thing." But, this performance is one of the best of the year.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat May 30, 2009 8:59 pm

Agreed W Langella was great and completely deserving of the nomination.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat May 30, 2009 9:58 pm

just watched Death At A Funeral 8/10 Hillarious. I would not ever even thought of half the things that happened in this film very,very funny.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun May 31, 2009 2:26 am

Damnit, I wish I lived in Austin. I keep hearing great things about the Drafthouse, it seems like that's the best theater in the world.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sun May 31, 2009 2:34 am

We had 3 cinema/drafthouses in Atlanta when i was in college there. It was the only way to see a movie. I think we have some law here in Pennsylvania about servicg alcohol at movies theaters. Only reason I can think of why we wouldn't have any of them in the state. Boy, I sure miss those places.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sun May 31, 2009 2:40 am

tickets are only $6--and kids under 18 aren't allowed.. sorry if i sound like a commercial.....but after going to a "Regal" theater recently (and having one of the worst movie-going experiences in recent memory), i can't believe they don't have the Drafthouse model everywhere..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sun May 31, 2009 10:09 am

Finally saw Role Models - hilarious! Especially Jane Lynch. 8/10
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun May 31, 2009 10:16 am

Yeah, they have a Movie Tavern where I live, but from what I hear, the Alamo Drafthouse is the place to watch movies. They screened episodes of Heroes there every Monday with the chick who played Daphne there, they've got the age limit , and now this amazing line-up of classic movies being shown there this summer.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Drag Me to Hell..

brilliant!! a MUST see for all Raimi fans.. this could've been called Sister Evil Dead..

though, i gotta say, i pity anyone who went into this with no foreknowledge of Sam's previous work.. even they might learn to love it--but i imagine this movie would be a bit jarring for anyone expecting a "straight" horror film
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Breaking Bad season finale (10/10): My God, this is the best show on television right now. Both the main actors (Walt and Jesse) deserve an Emmy in my opinion. If you haven't seen the show, give it at least five episodes for my sake (they have to be the first five or you don't know what's going on).
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm

I have the first season of Breaking Bad on my comp, but I've only watched the first ep. It didn't really do much for me, but I guess I'll eventually try to watch some more of it.

I watched Bowfinger last night. Oddly, I bought it on DVD a couple of months ago, but I ended up watching it on TV. Pretty good stuff, although the comedy is a little bit broad at times. I'd give it a solid 6/10...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:01 pm

Banks - I watched the first episode of Breaking Bad when it first aired and thought the same thing you did. Folks I know that love it have told me the first three episodes were kind of weak and then it turned into, in their opinions, the best show on TV.

I'm going to get around to watching Season 1 on DVD this summer.

Tonight, on the other hand, it's going to be Hamlet 2
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Yeah, they had to set up the entire plot in the first few episodes, so your really have to get into the middle of the season, but its great.

"(Breaking Bad is) The best scripted show on TV." - Steven King. That should be at least worth a few episodes as he knows scripts...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:30 am

Watched The Director's Cut of DAS BOOT, a movie I first watched 20 years ago. It used to be one of my fave movies and nothing has changed, An absolutely brilliant piece of filmmaking.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:46 am

Watching Pushing Daises again! (recorded on DVR) That feels good to say once more.

Also, If you liked the South Park episode called the "Goobacks," then I recommend The Squidbillies "The Fine 'Ol Solution." Catch it on Adultswim.com It had me laughing to tears.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:56 am

JackO wrote:Watching Pushing Daises again! (recorded on DVR) That feels good to say once more.

Also, If you liked the South Park episode called the "Goobacks," then I recommend The Squidbillies "The Fine 'Ol Solution." Catch it on Adultswim.com It had me laughing to tears.

I cant wait to get Pushing Daisies season 2 on Blu-Ray!
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:07 am

The Godfather Part II (10/10): One good thing about a divorce is that you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want, like not have to agree on movies to watch! This film is much better than the first and I gave the first a 9/10. I'd much rather watch a story centered around Michael that Vito, though I did like DeNiro as Vito.

Mongol is next, hopefully I can get like 7 hours of great films for $2.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:07 am

I'm watching Taken again. I had suppressed the urge to watch it again the first time I saw it.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:53 am

i still havent seen Taken. I feel like a bum Very Happy

Woo hoo 700th Post!
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 am

OMFG! I was about to pop in "Mongol" and Malcolm in the Middle was on. I've never been a big fan and Frankie Muniz is one of the worst celebrities on the face of the Earth... Anyways, I hear a voice on the show and say "Hey, I know that voice." Then it comes again and rings a bell, "It's Bryan f'ing Cranston, last year's Emmy winner and star of the greatest f'ing show on TV right now, Breaking Bad," I think. Then I look at the dad on Malcolm's face and realize its him. I'm thinking, "Is that really him?!? This great performance came from THAT GUY?" So obviously I HAVE TO IMDB it... So I sign on (takes forever) and find out that I'm right. Now I'm telling you all about this and I have probably wasted 15 minutes. I'll probably fall asleep during Mongol and either have to rent it again, try and watch an hour of it with a kid jumping on me, or get hit with late fees.

This is why I need my own sub-forum you punks! Random thoughts...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that Malcolm's dad is a meth dealer on AMC and Malcolm's mom is a judge on TNT....
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:23 pm

For most people (on this board, not the average American to be sure), I'm sure it is. I never really watched Malcolm, except for a few times, I knew that "That 70's Show's" Hyde and the older brother on Malcolm were brothers. I didn't even know there WAS a Breaking Bad until the second season started. The mom hasn't changed a bit. The dad on the show went from this:

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 8 MV5BMTQ2NTg3Mjk2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTE2NzY2._V1._SX300_SY400_

to this...
what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 8 MV5BMTgxMjUwNTQ1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzEzMTMzMg@@._V1._SX600_SY400_
So, yeah... I was kinda shocked when I realized it.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 pm

Malcolm's mom was Judge Harm on The Simpsons.

Meanwhile, I've rewatched these lately:

House Party- this is pretty much if Spike Lee directed Ferris Bueller's Day Off. But still one of the better coming of age tales of the era.
Only The Strong- the capoeira movie. If you wanted to, you could call it Bloodsport 3: The Final Battle but with Dacascos in the Van Damme role. But it's still a good time killer.
Last Resort- terrible comedy from the writers of the teen classic Revenge Of The Nerds. What were Charles Grodin, John Ashton, Jon Lovitz and Phil Hartman thinking when they signed on to this one?
Raising Cain- The Seven Faces Of Dr. Lao but directed by Brian De Palma and starring John Lithgow. The movie is one of the strangest of the 1990's but Lithgow was great in his five roles and is worth watching solely for him.
Trespass- Bill Paxton vs. Ice-T in a turf war over a hidden stash of gold. It could have been bad but it works due to a screenplay co-written by Robert Zemeckis and the direction of Walter Hill. Also, Steven Spielberg was an uncredited producer on it which has this small urban thriller even more interesting.
Sudden Death- when I was 14, I thought this was one of the better Van Damme vehicles. Now I think this may be one of the best bad movies ever made. The film's story and acting are basically crap but that seems to be part of the fun. Not surprisingly, this was initally written as a spoof of over-the-top action films and sports movies before being heavily rewritten (possibly at the insistance of the then-owners of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who produced the film).

Please don't scold me, Keyzer.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next