The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 24 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by W Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:45 pm

Nothing to do all yesterday, so I saw a couple from the 250:

Frankenstein (1931) (#228 IMDB Top 250) 62/100: I didn't think it was great, actually. Karloff was great, don't get me wrong, but it was only about an hour long and left out most of the story. Besides Karloff and "IT'S ALIVE!!," there's really not much to this version.

The Seventh Seal (Det sjunde inseglet - #103 IMDB Top 250) 98/100: This, however, was pure awesome. Literally one of the handfull of best films I've ever seen and easily my favorite black and white film I have ever seen. Like possibly the best film I've ever seen territory. Anyways, only watch this if you want to think... That should be obvious. Many questions are raised throughout--no, the meaning of life is left unanswered--and pondered during the 1300's Black Plague. The main character plays chess with Death for his life, you see the affects of the Plague on the average person of the day, and how ignorant they were about what really was going on. Anyway, I won't go into more detail as to not ruin it and I assume it will be a Movie Club selection in the near future so I will discuss it deeper when/if that time comes.

PS: I looked for this and the only place I could find with subtitles was YouTube where it is in 9 parts. Just search "The Seventh Seal 1/9" if you want to view it for yourself.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 24 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Buscemi Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Criterion just released a new DVD of The Seventh Seal. It's two discs and it has a documentary on Bergman on the second disc. It's also rather cheap for a Criterion DVD (suggested retail price is $30).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:14 pm

I watched City of Ember yesterday. It was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 am

The Seventh Seal Criterion Collection on Blu-Ray is $24.99 on Amazon.com... worth it, in my opinion--assuming you don't already have a copy of it, why not spring for the best transfer available
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:55 am

Watched Redbelt, really liked it but the ending was really lacking. 7/10
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:03 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Watched Redbelt, really liked it but the ending was really lacking. 7/10

Yeah, one of the better films I've seen this year.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:29 am

I've been going through these rather quickly...

Nosferatu: eine Symphonie des Grauens (#246 IMDB 250) 46/100: No doubt it was well made for its time, just bored the Hell out of me and put me to sleep. No way anyone would find that close to scary even then... At least I hope.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am

King Kong (1933) 96/100 (#206 IMDB Top 250): WOW! This is what you would call a big budget blockbuster today, and one of the ones that seriously work on practically every level (like The Dark Knight). Very good acting, esp the woman and the ape (I know its fake, more later). It works as a romance (love triangle, actually), an action film, and (esp) an adventure epic. The ape was done extremely well if you have in mind that this was made in the 30's, which come to mention was the depression. He actually seemed like an ape and not a puppet or whatnot considering the violent nature (chewing on people, throwing them, etc) and the playfulness (I laughed when he played with the dinosaur's jaw after snapping it). He even seems human in some of the scenes, which is hard to do considering the technology of the time.

Very groundbreaking on many levels. The creatures were groundbreaking. It had more violence than other films of the time. There was a scene where Kong rips off some of the woman's clothes that was cut (but put back in during the 1971 editon) and there's a scene that was cut because it was so violent (at the time) that people walked out of the theater.

Anyways, I think that barring some of the visual effects, this film still holds up as an entertaining blockbuster.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 pm

Seventh Seal is one of my favourite films of all time. Well reviewed, W
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 pm

W wrote:Nothing to do all yesterday, so I saw a couple from the 250:

The Seventh Seal (Det sjunde inseglet - #103 IMDB Top 250) 98/100: This, however, was pure awesome. Literally one of the handfull of best films I've ever seen and easily my favorite black and white film I have ever seen. Like possibly the best film I've ever seen territory. Anyways, only watch this if you want to think... That should be obvious. Many questions are raised throughout--no, the meaning of life is left unanswered--and pondered during the 1300's Black Plague. The main character plays chess with Death for his life, you see the affects of the Plague on the average person of the day, and how ignorant they were about what really was going on. Anyway, I won't go into more detail as to not ruin it and I assume it will be a Movie Club selection in the near future so I will discuss it deeper when/if that time comes.
[/i]

I really need to rewatch this. I watched it when I was younger and thought it was terrible. I was probably 17 or 18 so most likely I wasn't smart or wise enough to get it at the time. Should put that on my list

W wrote:

Nosferatu: eine Symphonie des Grauens (#246 IMDB 250) 46/100: No doubt it was well made for its time, just bored the Hell out of me and put me to sleep. No way anyone would find that close to scary even then... At least I hope.

I felt the same way. I had heard so much about it and when I finally watched it I was bored. The vampire looked pretty good and freaky but the story was so slow. I may love older films and some foreign films but I just haven't been able to get into silent movies. I find myself watching the clock instead...
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:45 pm

That's hilarious because like every silent film puts me to sleep, even ones I really enjoy like Metropolis. Maybe its just that I haven't gotten enough sleep the past couple of months? When its about a quarter in, I start staring at the clock in the corner of the screen.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:02 am

You can always watch them sped up, W.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:15 am

Tried, can't figure out how to watch it like that on Vuze.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:22 am

Silent movies just sound like a cure for insomnia. Have no idea why anyone would voluntarily try to watch one.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Silent movies just sound like a cure for insomnia. Have no idea why anyone would voluntarily try to watch one.

Because they're on "my list"...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Bucket List?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Nope, in June/July I went back through BOMOJO, the Oscars, and the IMDB top 250 and threw films that I wanted to see on there. All Best Picture winners and top 250s got an automatic bid... There were like 445 films on there and now there are 423.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 pm

I had a list like that I started when the 100 Years list first came out. I have seen a good chunk of them, or at least gave it the old college try on some of them. Never tried the IMDB 250 but I bet I have seen well over half already.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:06 am

W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:08 am

BTW, watched Oldboy 64/100: I could get past the
Spoiler:
also, a little over the top. It was decent, but not as great as I though it would be.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:55 am

Ha.. W watching all the classics and i just finished watching Crank 2. A pretty big difference i would say. Very Happy

Crank 2 was shit, for the most part. There were some parts i liked, but this one just went WAY too over the top.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:57 am

BarcaRulz wrote:Ha.. W watching all the classics and i just finished watching Crank 2. A pretty big difference i would say. :D

Crank 2 was shit, for the most part. There were some parts i liked, but this one just went WAY too over the top.

Crank 2 is on the list as well, though I'm probably going to end up dumping it and never watch it...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:44 am

Lately, people have been calling Crank 2 the American equivalent of a Takashi Miike film. I guess that is a pretty suitable description due to the absolute bizarreness of the film and most (but not all) of Miike's films.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 am

I dug Crank 2 because it was so over the top.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 am

Watched the average Disturbia. It started out with so much potential.
Spoiler:
But ended up just a formulaic money spinner cash in. As a viewer I really felt cheated when
Spoiler:

Overall an unnecessary modern interpretation of Rear Window. 6/10

Also The Three Burials Of Melquiades Estrada. Westerns are not my genre and this was too slow, and, as often happens to me in Westerns, I disliked the main character. 6/10

Lastly Say Anything. Normal Woody Allen. If you like him, you'll like this. If you don't, you won't. I do. 8/10

EDIT: I meant Anything Else not Say Anything. I keep calling it the wrong thing every time.

Last edited by leestu on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next