The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 7 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Donte77 Tue May 26, 2009 8:52 pm

geezer9687 wrote:I think the problem with Christian Bale is that if he doesn't have either a good director, or a better actor to put him in his place, he goes crazy with his over-acting. Nolan wouldn't let him do this on TDK, plus he had Morgan Freeman and Heath Ledger around. On Salvation, he was given too much power and there was no one to tell him "Hey Christian, you might want to tone it down a bit." He would have just bitched at them and ran to his trailer. He just needs someone to show him up and put him in his place and he is fine.

Interesting theory Geez. We can see if it holds up in July when he has Johnny Depp and Michael Mann making him "work" at acting.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 7 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Donte77 Tue May 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Watched a horror movie named Wendigo. I use the term horror for it loosely. It was a steaming pile of native american turd. 1/2 star

Watched a 1966 Mifune samurai movie named The Sword of Doom. Pretty cool with some great sword fights. And Toshiro is just a badass in anything. 4 out of 5 stars

Withnail and I. 70's English comedy/drama about two out of work actors/alcoholics visiting a cottage/shack in the english countryside. Good performances and lots of fun dialogue. It was fun to see Harry Potter's mean uncle being a "ponce" in this film. LOL 3.5 / 5 stars

Uninvited. Not a terrible horror movie but the ending just went downhill. A few good jumps for my wife from scary scenes and on the bright side, the females in the movie are all hot. LOL 2 / 5 Stars

Also rewatched Bad Santa and Superman Returns. Bad Santa just gets better and S R is not terrible but I really wish we could get a Superman movie with a cool super villain. With powers that don't involve being bald and finding kryptonite.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue May 26, 2009 9:22 pm

Donte - That's the problem with Superman. Other than other Kryptonians (Superman II) or Doomsday, there are no other villians that can keep up with Superman. As a guy I knew named Marv Wolfman, who used to write the Superman comics, used to say, the only thing you could make difficult for Superman was figuring out who to punch. Once he figures that out, your story is pretty much over.

I really don't think Brainiac or Metallo (The man with the Kryptonite heart) would make a good movie villian.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue May 26, 2009 9:47 pm

I think Brainiac would be great personally but as a behind the scenes, need to figure out his angle villain. I would rather see General Eilling once he has become the new Shaggy Man. Then you can't just punch away.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue May 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Shaggy Man was a tough SOB, but nowhere near Superman's class. I mean this is the guy that fought Doomsday to a standstill. Another good villian would be Mr. Myxzyptlk(sp), but not sure what the storyline would be except to use Alan Moore's "Last Superman Story" from the 80's
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue May 26, 2009 10:29 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:Donte - That's the problem with Superman. Other than other Kryptonians (Superman II) or Doomsday, there are no other villians that can keep up with Superman. As a guy I knew named Marv Wolfman, who used to write the Superman comics, used to say, the only thing you could make difficult for Superman was figuring out who to punch. Once he figures that out, your story is pretty much over.

I really don't think Brainiac or Metallo (The man with the Kryptonite heart) would make a good movie villian.

Yeah, that's pretty much what a guy said on The History Channel when they were doing the history of comics. He said something like "When a guy can put out a white dwarf star by blowing it out, it's pretty much over."
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed May 27, 2009 1:56 am

There is always Darkseid. Oh man that would be magnificent!!!
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed May 27, 2009 2:06 am

Yeah, forgot about him. You'd probably have to bring the whole New Gods mythology into it though, and that would definitely be confusing for folks not in the know
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed May 27, 2009 2:33 am

Well those newbies can just read some comics and catch up. Smile It is quite tiresome to have the first hour of every comic movie be an origin story...
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed May 27, 2009 2:41 am

Amen brother
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed May 27, 2009 3:10 am

I know not everybody is a comic geek but it is like making a WWII movie and giving the childhood story of Hitler and Mussolini.

Sure maybe Iron Man or Thor need a backstory but who doesn't know Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man's origins?
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed May 27, 2009 3:21 am

Donte77 wrote:I know not everybody is a comic geek but it is like making a WWII movie and giving the childhood story of Hitler and Mussolini.

Sure maybe Iron Man or Thor need a backstory but who doesn't know Batman, Superman, or Spider-Man's origins?

Bat.....man? Suspect
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed May 27, 2009 5:49 am

I re-watched Reservoir Dogs yesterday, loved it even more. Some funny ass lines in there, especially from Steve Busemi. 10/10, one of my fav movies of all time.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed May 27, 2009 7:47 am

I watched Home Alone on Sunday. I never realized how much of a freeloading asshole Uncle Frank was. And the way that he compares Kevin to reading glasses was just plain harsh.

In short: I still love the movie, but I hate Uncle Frank.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Wed May 27, 2009 1:31 pm

How annoying, I hate when I lose posts.

Anyway.. I watched The Manhattan Project for the first time, a true classic of the 80s. I really enjoyed this movie, the actor playing the lead character wasn't really memorable, but the rest of the cast is amazing (including a young Robert Sean Leonard and Cynthia Nixon). The writing was awesome, basically every character is full of snarky comments about whats going on, it wasn't till the very end, when an attempt was made at being serious, that is sort of became silly.
8/10
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu May 28, 2009 3:19 am

Watched Traitor last night. I really enjoyed the film. Great twists and superb acting from Cheadle and Pierce. 4 / 5 Stars
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu May 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Edmond. f'ing horrible. David Mamet's work in film is atrocious. I shit better screenplays. His dialogue is as bad as, like, whatever.

it makes me sad that i'm a fan of a director (Stuart Gordon) who makes so many terrible movies
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat May 30, 2009 2:22 am

I watched this morning:

Lionheart (aka A.W.O.L. aka Wrong Bet)- I've never realized this but this film is basically a higher-budgeted remake of Bloodsport but with the main difference being that this film has a downbeat ending. Also, he isn't being chased by Forest Whitaker.
Hard Target- I've never noticed it before but there are a few Sam Raimi touches in this as well as John Woo touches (Raimi was one of the executive producers of Hard Target). Examples: Arnold Vosloo as one of the villains, one of the primary characters being from Michigan and that same characters being named Binder (Sam Raimi and Mike Binder are Detroit natives and have collaborated on projects before). No Delta 88 or Bruce Campbell though. That would have been too much.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat May 30, 2009 3:30 am

You are watching Van Damme movies I haven't seen since I was 14. Awesome! None of those older JCVD films compare to Bloodsport though.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat May 30, 2009 3:41 am

I just got a quadruple feature disc with those two films. The other two on it are Sudden Death (in widescreen for the first time) and The Quest (Van Damme directs!).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat May 30, 2009 3:42 am

i know we got a couple posters from Texas on the board.. if anyone finds themselves in Austin this summer, Alamo Drafthouse and the Paramount Theatre are showing classic movies every month--check it out:

8 1/2
Alien3
Aliens
Amadeus
Amarcord
Annie Hall
Bedknobs & Broomsticks
The Big Lebowski
The Black Cat
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid
Caddyshack
Catch-22
Class of Nuke 'Em High
The Color of Money
Cool Hand Luke
Easy Rider
ET
The Explorers
Fargo
Gone with the Wind
The Goonies
Happy Gilmore
The Godfather
The Hustler
The Iron Giant
Jaws
Jurassic Park
The Last Waltz
Lawrence of Arabia
Looking for Mr. Goodbar
MASH
Maximum Overdrive
Metropolis
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Monty Python's The Life of Brian
The Mummy
Nashville
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rocky IV
The Royal Tenenbaums
The Sting
Super Troopers
Total Recall
The Wild One

i'm gonna post the actual schedule on Facebook.. this is mostly just the announced movies for June.. the later months are still partially TBA
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat May 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Paul Blart: Mall Cop (2/10): I will use an Albert Einstein quote to show you what this film was like, "horrible... horrible..." That's what he said when he learned of the destruction of Hiroshima that he helped cause. This isn't that bad, but close...

I also saw "Frost/Nixon" (8/10): Great performance by both of the main actors. Frost is the werewolf from "Rise of the Lycans". I can see why Frank Langella got nominated. Now I've seen all of the 2008 Oscar nominated actors and I can rank them.

1. Sean Penn was deserving of winning by a landslide in my book.
2, 3, and 4 are close
2. Richard Jenkins is next (for me).
3. Frank Langella played Nixon the best I've ever seen.
4. Mickey Rourke was great, but I liked the other three better.
5. Brad Pitt. He was deserving of a nomination, but not even close to what the other guys did this year.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat May 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Insteresting ranking on the best actors W. I thought Mickey Rourke was the best performance of last year. Really wasnt that Impressed By Sean Penn in Milk. Frank Langella was fantastic as well and deserved his nomination. But hey to each his own Very Happy
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat May 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Yeah, well "The Wrestler" smacked me in the face with nostalgia so much (Ernest "the Cat" Miller played The Ayatolla, who else knew that?) that I couldn't take it too seriously. And its an opinion like you said, but really (for me) 2, 3, and 4 are very close and I do think they got all of the nominations right for last year.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat May 30, 2009 7:06 pm

I prefer Anthony Hopkins' Nixon over Langella's Nixon. I don't know why but I guess Hopkins simply fit the role better.

And I felt Michael Sheen gave the better of the two performances in Frost/Nixon.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next