The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

+25
BarcaRulz
IPKI$$
Swedgin!
Shrykespeare
Keyser Soze
numbersix_99
geezer9687
RonBurgundy
becs
mfrendo
A_Roode
Donte77
Alyson
BanksIsDaFuture
Synestro
silversurfer19
undeadmonkey
W
lillylovelost
JackO
Buscemi
MisterInformative
transformers2
leestu
NSpan
29 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 11 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by numbersix_99 Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:43 pm

NSpan wrote:Sukiyaki Western Django... sweet movie... only one major problem: the movie is a japanese movie intended for japanese audiences.. if you're a native english-speaker, you're going to be REALLY distracted by the phonetically spoken english dialogue--which is actually MEANT to be a "foreign" language and read in subtitles.. if you rent the Region 1 version of this film, make sure you turn the subtitles ON (and do your best to tune out the meaning of the audible dialogue while still picking up on the inflection).. for some odd reason, they aren't on by default.. which is ridiculous, because the movie's dialogue wasn't intended to be understood (aside from the intentional "western" drawl of most characters).. i almost feel like that, for the American release, they should've redubbed the movie into Japanese (or Italian or gibberish) to recreate the director's intended atmosphere..

anyway, it's a very fun and cool-looking movie (try to catch it on blu-ray).. something Tarantino would be fucking PROUD to have made himself.. (Tarantino, ironically, is the LOW point of this movie).. if you liked Kill Bill, you'll like this..

Takashi Miike has to be one of the oddest directors ever. Must check this film out.

Rewatched There Will Be Blood last night. I concluded that it's a film of moment. There's amazing cinematography, some great sequences (the "baptism" scene), and of course Day Lewis's dominating performance. But as a film it drags, it feels too indulgent, it's too influenced by Kubrick's style of direction, some of the music is off, and the last scene is too ridiculous to stomach. A fascinating film nevertheless
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 11 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by NSpan Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:49 pm

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Good movie--just not my genre.. Very well-made, etc, etc... i'll get back to y'all with this one...

ps. blows Forrest Gump out of the water

edit: who knew that, by simply filming The Jerk in reverse, it'd be so easy to get an oscar nod??

Last edited by NSpan on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:17 pm

I watched 12:01 PM, the short film that Groundhog Day supposedly stole its idea from. Perhaps the best Twilight Zone episode never made. Kurtwood Smith is awesome.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:57 am

Over the last couple of days I have been watching Scrubs season 2, Monkey Dust (one of the most brilliant, and sick animation series of the last few years) and Midsomer Murders (probably one of the worst whodunnit series ever, but it is so bad its hilarious. Absolute must-see tv!!). Tonight we get to see The Changeling finally - $5 tickets too!!
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 am

Interesting that you called Midsomer Murders terrible considering its 8.6 rating on IMDb (I've never watched the show, I just looked that up). But then again, it's probably just opinion. For example, I hate the series of Buffy The Vampire Slayer (honestly, I think the basic idea is too stupid to be taken seriously and that it only works as a parody like in the film).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 am

Midsomer Murders is a very, very British cluedo-esque tv series which displays some of the worst acting and most awful plotlines ever commited to film. But it is hilarious for being that bad.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:29 am

Cluedo, eh? So it's like the movie Clue, only they aren't trying to be funny?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:04 am

Recent Viewings

Donnie Darko 8/10

Finally Watched this. Good Film. By far the strangest thing ive ever seen but good none the less.

The Wrestler 8.5/10

See Comments on the An Idea Thread

La Bamba 6/10

Watched this in school not a bad bio pic

Gulity By Suspicion 4/10

Also watched this in school Not a good movie. Pretty Damn Boring.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:09 am

transformers2 wrote:Donnie Darko 8/10

Finally Watched this. Good Film. By far the strangest thing ive ever seen but good none the less.
if you're interested in giving some famously "strange" movies a chance, check out Eraserhead, Ichi the Killer, City of Lost Children, Naked Lunch, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Drive, Pi, Altered States, Basket Case, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Dead or Alive, or Dagon.. sure, there's far stranger out there, but all these are actually worth sitting through
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:45 am

I've seen a few scenes from Dagon. Seriously, exactly how much acid do you need to take for that to be enjoyable? It was definitely one of the worst things I've ever seen on film. I only watched it because my friend forced me to just to see how terrible it is.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:46 am

Donnie Darko is an awful movie, I think people only like it because they have no idea what's going on.

Then again, I haven't seen it in years and I had to watch it over 3 days because I kept falling asleep on it.

It really wasn't worth my time anyway.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:42 pm

geezer9687 wrote:I've seen a few scenes from Dagon.
Dagon rocks.. any fan of HP Lovecraft (or Resident Evil IV) should definitely watch it

Last edited by NSpan on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:56 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Donnie Darko is an awful movie, I think people only like it because they have no idea what's going on.

Then again, I haven't seen it in years and I had to watch it over 3 days because I kept falling asleep on it.

It really wasn't worth my time anyway.

I think the core of Donnie Darko is pretty easy to grasp- it's about connecting with those around, it's about not giving in to the idea that "we all die alone". With that in mind, most of the film fits into that. Forget the director's rambling about Donnie being a superhero and all that, it means nothing to me.

Tranny, Donnie Darko is quite influenced by Lynch's films in terms of style, tone, and especially sound design. Try Mulholland Dr or Lost Highway, they're pretty far out if you're used to more traditional storytelling.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:25 am

i really hated Mullohland Drive but i will give Lynch a chance. and i think everyone will be proud to know that i added Oldboy and Ichi The Killer to my netflix queue.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:28 am

transformers2 wrote:and i think everyone will be proud to know that i added Oldboy and Ichi The Killer to my netflix queue.
You're killing me, Smalls!!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:38 am

geezer9687 wrote:
transformers2 wrote:and i think everyone will be proud to know that i added Oldboy and Ichi The Killer to my netflix queue.
You're killing me, Smalls!!

lol im trying out different films. i really havent watched many foriegn film so i thought what the hell might as well give it a shot! don't worry geez i havent forgot about my film roots because i also added Role Models,Punisher:War Zone,Quantum Of Solace and Dogma so i got all the bases covered.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:56 am

Heh. Looks like the club has gotten one member smaller Geez. We'll get you eventually!! [GRIN]
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:22 am

Tonight we watched sabotage. Another pretty good film from Hitchcock's early career. I thought the success during the whole sequence of the boy carrying the bomb was so tense. My only complaints are that the beginning dragged a little bit and the end basically turned into Blackmail 2, where Hitchcock basically ends the film exactly the same way with exactly the same theme. I liked the two films about equally, but I feel like maybe if I had seen Sabotage without seeing Blackmail first, I would have liked it more. Therefore it gets a 7.5/10 from me.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Iron Giant. great movie--loved the animation, the music, the retro-vibe, the voice-acting, just about everything.. i feel like the movie could've been longer (but i guess it was made at a time when animated movies weren't allowed to have epic runtimes--unlike nowadays where every cgi movie is over two hours long).. not surprised the director wrote Batteries Not Included.. haha.. i also feel like the themes could've been explored a bit deeper (more than just Vin Diesel saying "Me not gun!").. i haven't put together a list of my favorite animated films, but this one might be a contender..

off the top of my head, some of my favorite full-length animated movies:

The Brave Little Toaster
The Secret of NIMH
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Street Fighter II: the Animated Movie
Wizards
WALL-E
Finding Nemo
Ratatouille
The Fox and the Hound
Wallace an Gromit: Curse of the WereRabbit
Transformers: The Movie
An American Tail
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
The Simpsons Movie
Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings
The Last Unicorn
Watership Down
Fantasia
The Sword in the Stone
Bambi
Snow White
Yellow Submarine

if I were to whittle it down to 10, the Iron Giant could possibly make the cut.. hmm.. i'd have to think about it
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:55 pm

You missed Titan AE!... See also music of the fantaverse thread.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:40 am

Watched the new episode of Heroes, After an ok fall, i think that they are heading into a great direction.
Spoiler:
Other than that i loved it. Lets hope hey can keep it up.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm

geezer9687 wrote:Tonight we watched sabotage. Another pretty good film from Hitchcock's early career. I thought the success during the whole sequence of the boy carrying the bomb was so tense. My only complaints are that the beginning dragged a little bit and the end basically turned into Blackmail 2, where Hitchcock basically ends the film exactly the same way with exactly the same theme. I liked the two films about equally, but I feel like maybe if I had seen Sabotage without seeing Blackmail first, I would have liked it more. Therefore it gets a 7.5/10 from me.

Yeah, you're right. Hitch himself got very bored of his British films, as I think he was contracted, and so he churned them out with an occasional flourish. But the quality of his films only really picked up once he hit the US with Rebecca, and then eventually with Shadow of a Doubt, one of his best
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:53 am

Titan A.E i forgot about that movie it was pretty good i havent seen that movie in ages.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:16 am

Watched Wall-E for the second time last night. Absolutely stunning. In every aspect. One of the best movies of the last decade, and my favourite Pixar, usurping Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo. This is gonna be one of those timeless classics. much like those from the golden age of Disney, for many years to come.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:12 am

catchin a 35mm print of Barfly downtown tonight.. $10 drink special for one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer... should be a good time
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next