The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

+17
Shrykespeare
geezer9687
leestu
Donte77
silversurfer19
becs
BarcaRulz
RonBurgundy
W
Keyser Soze
NSpan
numbersix_99
IPKI$$
mfrendo
transformers2
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
21 posters

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by mfrendo Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:40 am

Finally watched La Dolce Vita last night. Very good but very long. Was pretty pessimistic, but very well done and thought provoking. Something everyone should see once.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 14 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:30 pm

The Informant! - 9/10

Loved, loved, loved this movie. The first hour was a struggle to get through though, I was very close to giving up on it. But after the twist halfway throughout, the movie became excellent. I cannot believe this was a true story. I guess you really can't make up stuff like this.

Also refreshing to see some comedians in serious roles, like Patton Oswalt, Paul F. Thompkins, and Joel McHale. There were some others too I think...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:19 pm

God damn it i love Hot Rod. I just watched it last night again. It's stupid comedy bliss.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 am

Jennifer's Body - 5/10

Not as terrible as some people would think, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it "good". Diablo Cody's dialogue was easily the best part of the movie (and even that was hit and miss at times). How does she go from something so heartfelt and original as Juno to this? Megan Fox is manageable in her role, really all she had to do was read some lines with a cute face and be extremely sexy. I do think Amanda Seyfriend looks better than Megan Fox, and I kind of wish she would've played the Jennifer part. And why is her name Needy anyway? I know it's short for Anita, but really? And I missed some parts but did they explain how
Spoiler:
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 am

Moon 8/10

Totally concur with six on this one, I found it a breath of fresh air in the sci fi world, wearing its influences proudly on its sleeve but providing something new too. The camerawork is brilliant, really emphasising the isolation of Sam, especially through the use of the slow tracking shots and long cuts. Clint Mansell again proves why he is one of the best for film scores, while Duncan Jones' direction is immense, really keeps you gripped in the story despite the twist being revealed early on. Rockwell should be nominated for an Oscar for this, he really is improving as an actor. I voted for him last year for Best Actor in the Fantie's for Choke and I think he just keeps getting better. I loved the use of miniatures too, we don't see enough of them any more, and instead of the usual CGI this was refreshing, and well executed too. Every year we seem to get a great sci-fi movie, this seems to be the one for this year.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:48 am

Fame - 5.5/10

There is no plot here. I don't mean that in the it's-so-bad-it-barely-exists, there is literally no plot. Sure, there's a bunch of mini-plots, only maybe 1 or 2 get more than 15 minutes screentime. It's basically musical numbers strung together with soap opera-ish acting. I suggest ignoring the plots and enjoying the music, which there isn't nearly enough of. And for a movie being less than 2 hours long, this reeaaaaaally drags.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:12 pm

So... I was right, it completely sucks! Or, at least there's not much of an audience for it?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:41 pm

But Fame already sucks...I was a theatre kid and I hate fucking Fame.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Yes, W., it does suck. It won't have any legs at all.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:48 pm

Roger Ebert has a pretty good title on his review for it: "This one ain't gonna live forever."
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Why do I feel a Tyler Perry vibe with Fame (decent opening, quick drop)?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 pm

Buscemi wrote:Why do I feel a Tyler Perry vibe with Fame (decent opening, quick drop)?

If you're thinking like a $25 M and dropping like a stone, I'm fairly certain you're wrong.

It could hit $15 M then plummet, but $10 M is more like it then $4-4.5 M the next weekend IMO.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:55 pm

I said decent, not great.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:04 pm

I was thinking "Tyler Perry vibe" meant about what his last film did...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:40 am

Surrogates 8/10.

Good action, decent effects, decent acting. Not OTT like it could have been. Jonathan Mostow redeems himself a little.

BTW, for those who are interested, TLMR is up and running again, and you can check out brand new reviews of:

Surrogates
Bright Star
Capitalism: A Love Story
[Rec] 2
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

CLICK HERE FOR REVIEWS

If anyone has any reviews to send me, you know my e-mail address. I would especially love it if anyone was planning on checking out any of the sneak preview of Whip It tomorrow.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Pandorum *.5/****

The previews lied to me. They told me that this would be a badass mix of Alien, Saw and Cube but instead it's just Resident Evil on a spaceship combined with the third act of Sunshine and the end of Titan A.E. Also, the plot is Swiss cheese and Paul W.S. Anderson got too much influence on the production (for example, it's obvious that he wanted his wife Milla Jovovich to play the lead female). Christian Alvart has made good projects in his native Germany, but this is not one of them.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:36 am

Milla Jovovich is in Pandorum? Why didn't they put her in any advertising?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:03 am

She wasn't in it, but you can bet Paul WSA WANTED to. She was probably busy doing Fourth Kind.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:12 am

Exactly, Shryke. The character looks, acts and sounds like Milla Jovovich but she's not. Possibly the studio (Constantine Film, who produced it while Overture picked it up for US release) didn't have enough money for her salary.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:05 am

Shryke could I send you a review for Extract? I was going to the last week but I noticed the site was down so i didnt.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:28 am

Love Happens **/****

Very basic romantic dramedy with Aaron Eckhart and Jennifer Aniston. It has its moments (such as when Eckhart is with the parrot, John Carroll Lynch's performance as a grief-stricken father at the lead's self-help seminar and the scenes in which role reversal occur between the leads) but otherwise, it's just your average cliche-ridden independent film with big stars.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:41 am

Buscemi, it would be great if you could throw together some kind of review, no matter how minimal, for Love Happens and Pandorum. The more shit we can throw on TLMR, the better it will be.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Surrogates - 8/10

What a really good movie. Bruce Willis was solid, all the supporting characters were believable and each had their moments. Not so much action as I'd expected, but the drama between him and his wife was well played out. I can imagine that would be a problem among families and friends if the Surrogates were real. I just wish they'd grown some balls with the ending,
Spoiler:
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 9/10

Hilarious. Good yet purposely cartoonish look to it, helped by 3D, good music, great cast, some heart to it, overall I loved it.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:26 pm

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs: 8/10

Very funny, enjoyable kids movie. It reminded me a lot of Monsters vs. Aliens, where they focused on making it a comedy for both kids and adults. The 3D was very good, and I think it really contributed to the enjoyment of the film. I liked it.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next