The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

+17
Shrykespeare
geezer9687
leestu
Donte77
silversurfer19
becs
BarcaRulz
RonBurgundy
W
Keyser Soze
NSpan
numbersix_99
IPKI$$
mfrendo
transformers2
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
21 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:44 am

Couples Retreat - 6.5/10

Pretty funny during the first hour, but the humor runs out after that since they have to get all sappy and whatnot. Jon Favreau had a lot of the best lines. "If a man talked to me like that, I'd punch him in his face!"
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by Buscemi Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:48 am

Whip It ***/****

I can't believe Fox dumped this movie to release Jennifer's Body. This is one kick-ass movie with good female characters and a nice cast of familiar faces (Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig, Drew Barrymore, Daniel Stern, Juliette Lewis, an unrecognizable Jimmy Fallon and others). Also, the derby match cinematography (filmed in 2.40:1 scope by Robert Yeoman) is really good and it has a gritty, 1980's feel in some places. It makes you wonder why we don't see more female-oriented films with strong characters who can live their own independent lives.

Toy Story Double Feature ****/****

It was great to see these again. It reminded me of my childhood and why I still hold on to many of my childhood toys. I don't want to end up like Sid, you know.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:38 am

Couples Retreat: 7/10 or 3 1/2/5 stars

Very funny, good chemistry between the characters. Vaughn was pretty good in the "lead" role.

Trailers:
Sherlock Holmes
The Wolfman
Did You Hear About The Morgans?
Up in the Air
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:31 am

Buscemi wrote:Whip It ***/****

I can't believe Fox dumped this movie to release Jennifer's Body. This is one kick-ass movie with good female characters and a nice cast of familiar faces (Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig, Drew Barrymore, Daniel Stern, Juliette Lewis, an unrecognizable Jimmy Fallon and others). Also, the derby match cinematography (filmed in 2.40:1 scope by Robert Yeoman) is really good and it has a gritty, 1980's feel in some places. It makes you wonder why we don't see more female-oriented films with strong characters who can live their own independent lives.

For your answer, please direct your attention to Whip It's OW numbers.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:37 am

I don't blame that on why it flopped. I blame Fox for not promoting the film. They dumped it so they could pump more money into Jennifer's Body's ad campaign. And when that film flopped, they used Whip It to bump up Jennifer's Body's numbers.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:02 am

Jeez.... make you think that WE should be in charge of Hollywood, shouldn't we? Then quality would never go hungry at the expense of quality, and Megan Fox would never work again (except on the street corner).
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 am

I actually, and I know I'm in the minority here, see some latent talent in Megan Fox that just has not been brought out yet, nor given a vehicle to do so. I think if she had a good script with a real director to work with, she could be amazing. Only time will tell, I guess.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:35 am

Keep in mind that Frendo also thinks Sasha Grey is an actress.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:29 pm

Busc, you know sometimes it's really not cool to shit on people because they have different opinions.

And all that stuff about dumping Whip It! in favor of Jennifer's Body is so far off the mark, it's hilarious. Jennifer's Body always had a better chance at breaking out then Whip It ever did. And JB had grossed more than Whip It at the same point it's at now by a pretty nice margin (9.9 to 5.9), so it looks like Fox did the right thing in putting more behind JB.

And using sneak preview's money to pad any other studio releases is standard practice among all the studios, so don't act like Fox made a mistake and then tried to save face.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:05 pm

Sasha Grey can't make legit movies? I agree with the Meagan Fox thing, honestly. I think she has a certain ability that just hasn't been tapped into yet, and I'm still waiting to see JB, I think she could be good with the right material...Not necessarily great, but you never know. I mean, look at Halle Berry, another mediocre actress discovered for her looks and not her talent who has really only turned in maybe two performances that could be called impressive by any standards...And she has an Oscar.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Yeah, honestly the disproportionate hatred for Megan Fox is exhausting to have to read about every time I come on here.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Zombieland 9/10

Such a fun and entertaining film. Woody Harelson was fantastic in his role and the cameo was one of the funniest things i have seen in a long time. One of the best films of the year IMO.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:48 am

Buscemi wrote:Keep in mind that Frendo also thinks Sasha Grey is an actress.

There's absolutely no reason to attack someone personally just because they have a different opinion as yourself
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:22 am

I was joking! Laughing

Meanwhile...

Paranormal Activity ***.5/****

I think this movie has made me believe in ghosts. Though it is basically a camcorder version of Poltergeist, it is amazingly well-done for its $11,000 budget and contains a sense of fear and scariness not seen in bigger-budgeted studio films. Few movies can do this, but this movie will make you think. It will leave you thinking about the possibility of paranormal activity around you, trying to get you.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:37 am

It will make me think that its all special effects and is no more real than any other horror movie.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:50 am

It made me kind of bored to be honest. It wasn't bad, but was basically Blair Witch set in a house...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:56 am

To me, Blair Witch felt like some kids having dumb fun. Paranormal Activity actually felt like a movie.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:57 am

geezer9687 wrote:It will make me think that its all special effects and is no more real than any other horror movie.

God I hate you, Geez.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:48 am

I actually felt the way Geez did. It didn't feel like anymore of a movie to me. There really was no act structure, but a few minimal, and somewhat creepy things. It reminded me ALOT of Blair Witch actually...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:52 am

Hopefully that will mean I appreciate it more than some others on here then. Blair Witch has always been one of the creepiest movies I've ever watched. It's one of my favourite horrors of recent times and scares the shit out of me every time I watch it, despite knowing full well what will happen. Hopefully this has a similar impact on me when we get around to viewing it here in NZ.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:42 am

Doesn't the fact that it's very reminescent of Blair Witch a good thing? Blair Witch Project was a great movie.

Of course, Paranormal Activity really never had a chance to live up to the hype from those preview screenings reviews...

P.A. is not as good as BWP to me though. P.A. loses some luster if you watch it in the middle of the day, and without tons of people screaming around you. A problem Blair Witch never had.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:58 am

This is the largest group of Blair Witch fans ever assembled!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:02 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Doesn't the fact that it's very reminescent of Blair Witch a good thing? Blair Witch Project was a great movie.

Of course, Paranormal Activity really never had a chance to live up to the hype from those preview screenings reviews...

P.A. is not as good as BWP to me though. P.A. loses some luster if you watch it in the middle of the day, and without tons of people screaming around you. A problem Blair Witch never had.

I watched it at 11:30 am in a mostly-empty 600 seat auditorium (there were probably 15 people inside, my mother and I included)...and it still affected me.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 am

Although I wasn't a fan of Blair Witch (though I may have been if two of the smelliest goth people ever hadn't sat right next to me in the sold out theater...seriously my friend 5 seats down could smell them), I was mostly stating that ten years after it was released, someone else just did the same basic idea but in a house. And since it's been ten years, everyone is saying how novel it is.

Also, though I've never seen it, I hear Blair Witch is basically the same as Cannibal Holocaust...and so it goes...

Also, I wrote a blog on my facebook of the ten most disturbing films I've seen. I know Busc read it, and the others on my account may have. If anyone's interested, I can post it here, or any of you can add to my facebook, and I'll of course accept.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:07 am

Was your mom there to hold your hand and tell you "Its ok sweetie, its only a movie?"
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next