The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

+17
Shrykespeare
geezer9687
leestu
Donte77
silversurfer19
becs
BarcaRulz
RonBurgundy
W
Keyser Soze
NSpan
numbersix_99
IPKI$$
mfrendo
transformers2
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
21 posters

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by mfrendo Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:56 am

Saw El Superbeasto last night, at the one showing they had. Freaking awesome! For those that don't know, it's Rob Zombie's animated feature. Like Fritz the Cat for modern day and probably more fucked up. I loved it though,and it looked really good on the DLP screen. See it if you can, which may not be too easy since showings are limited.

All I can say is, "Vertical bacon sandwich".
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 13 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by Shrykespeare Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:05 am

I already wrote a review for this, but since I can't get onto TLMR right now, I'll just say:

9 - 9/10

Awesome antimation, great story, great characters. Acker didn't dumb down the story or spoon feed us a plot, and no crass humor for the LCD.

Terrific stuff.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:09 am

9 ***/****

Beautifully animated sci-fi with a great cast. Though the plot is limited, it does tell that small plot very well. It may also have the best use of Over The Rainbow since that song became famous.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:26 pm

Yeah, I did really love that scene too Buscemi. Kinda makes up for the overuse of the song in Australia...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:46 am

Extract - 6/10

Some funny parts, mostly from Kristen Wiig or Ben Affleck. Nothing special though
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 am

Sunshine Cleaning - 7/10

Terrific job as usual from Amy Adams. The rest of the cast was just so-so.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:44 am

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs - 8/10

Great stuff, loved it. Most of the jokes don't even seem like kids would get them, but I did and that's all that matters. Very funny movie.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:48 am

how much screentime does Bruce get?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:51 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Most of the jokes don't even seem like kids would get them, but I did and that's all that matters.

So it is another bastardization of a classic children's book?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Buscemi wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Most of the jokes don't even seem like kids would get them, but I did and that's all that matters.

So it is another bastardization of a classic children's book?

the book is from '78..... anyone with authentic nostalgic memories of it are well into their 20s--if not their 30s
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:55 am

Bruce Campbell gets about 10-15 mins, he plays the Mayor and he gets some good lines.

I wouldn't call it a bastardization, they're not "adult" jokes (except one I noticed - the town is called Swallow Falls and the F falls off the sign...) but they weren't flat out jokey jokes that kids would get. Hard to explain, they had a lot of Hot Rod type stuff in there.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:06 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Bruce Campbell gets about 10-15 mins, he plays the Mayor and he gets some good lines.

I wouldn't call it a bastardization, they're not "adult" jokes (except one I noticed - the town is called Swallow Falls and the F falls off the sign...) but they weren't flat out jokey jokes that kids would get. Hard to explain, they had a lot of Hot Rod type stuff in there.

So basically, to Boush, you just answered his question with a resounding "yes."
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:09 am

Meh. I couldn't care less about the book, I just know the movie was funny.

And is it a bastardization, if they keep all the characters and the plot from the book? I'm sure it didn't have enough dialogue to fill out a 100 minute film.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:12 am

Boush thinks anything that is in the Hot Rod style of comedy is a bastardization, abomination, fascist-hitler-loving-jew-killing-nation.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:56 am

Speaking of Hot Rod, I caught a hilarious 10 or so minutes of it on tv the other night and it was Andy Sam-Tastic! It was the scene with him, Will Arnett and Isla Fisher in the restaurant..."Yeah, he's super dead." Can't wait to see the rest.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:48 am

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs would work better as a short film combined in an anthology film with short film adaptations of other classic children's books (such as Make Way For Ducklings and Alexander and The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day or whatever it's called).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:41 am

I saw Hot Rod in the theater and left after fifteen minutes. It was fucking retarded.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:38 am

Buscemi wrote:Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs would work better as a short film combined in an anthology film with short film adaptations of other classic children's books (such as Make Way For Ducklings and Alexander and The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day or whatever it's called).

With all due respect, surely you have to see the movie first to give that judgement?
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:01 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
Buscemi wrote:Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs would work better as a short film combined in an anthology film with short film adaptations of other classic children's books (such as Make Way For Ducklings and Alexander and The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day or whatever it's called).

With all due respect, surely you have to see the movie first to give that judgement?

...but he saw the trailer.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:07 am

It always makes me laugh when he says stuff like that though. It reminds me of those guys that are like... "Now hear me out, really, hear me out here. What if... Now what if..." and then says something completely off the wall.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:26 am

NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:33 am

The Informant! - 6/10

This was SO Soderbergh.

I like how Damon portrayed the main character. One would think from the trailers that he was a complete moron, but that is far from the case. Make no mistake: he was the smartest guy in the room. I don't want to say too much without giving it away, but one had to almost admire the balls it took for him to do what he did (and I'm not just talking about the "informing").

The score was very lighthearted, almost ridiuculously so, to the point where I felt like I was watching a pantomime. I can understand why Soderbergh did that, to kind of make light and edgy a subject matter that tends to be rather dry and uninteresting, but it went overboard at times, as well as Damon's inner monologues, which ranged from hysterically funny musings to truly bizarre rantings.

I will, however, give you one spoiler, free of charge: Damon's character's hair from the trailers? IT'S A TOUP!!
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:44 am

The Informant! ***/****

Soderbergh easily makes up for his terrible The Girlfriend Experience with this film. Damon is very amusing in his role and even shows a good chemistry with co-star Scott Bakula (who strangely looks like Spock now). The film is also well made in its 1970's style (despite being set in the 1990's), from the Marvin Hamlisch score to the use of bright, natural lighting in scenes. Also, the narration with his bizarre anecdotes reminded me of myself in a way.

Also, the film features some familiar names in small roles (such as Eddie Jemison from the Ocean's trilogy, Tom Smothers of the Smothers Brothers and Patton Oswalt).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:02 am

Not only Tom Smothers, but Dick Smothers too (he was the judge at the end of the movie).
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by J.I. Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:28 am

9 8/10

Definately need to watch the short film before seeing the movie because of the ending. Loved the Somewhere Over the Rainbow scene. One thing about it was that I loved all of the stitchpunks individually.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next