The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Films of The 2000's

+15
johnErle
IPKI$$
undeadmonkey
Keyser Soze
Donte77
geezer9687
Synestro
leestu
SuperShaan
mfrendo
numbersix_99
MisterInformative
silversurfer19
Buscemi
transformers2
19 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Best Films of The 2000's - Page 3 Empty Re: Best Films of The 2000's

Post by geezer9687 Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:39 pm

Well Mr. I, anything that is decided by a vote is "most popular." That's why they call it the "popular vote." And that is the way it should be. The reason they are popular is because people love them. Meaning they are the best to those people. There's no format to say what is good and bad, just votes that measure the popularity, and that is what we have here. bounce
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:43 pm

That is the problem. The poll question is not "What is your favorite movie?" but "What is the BEST movie?" but people will not judge a movie on its artistic value. They simply vote for whatever dumb schlock they can watch and not have to think about how shitty the world is for 90 minutes.

Same reason why Brtiney and N-Sync can sell millions of albums. And that is why this movie is winning. I love the movie and thought it was hilarious but who cares??? It is not a "Best" movie even on a different planet full of mongoloids rejects from Jupiter who do not speak english.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:55 pm

Oh yeah Donte? I'm pretty sure the point of watching a film is to enjoy the experience, correct me if I'm wrong. So why the fuck wouldn't I vote for a film that I enjoyed the most out of all of them. That is all anyone should care about when deciding what is the best movie in any list, what did they enjoy most. If they enjoy a comedy about Steve Carrell trying to get his dick wet the most, then that is what they should vote for.

God the Snobbery around here is making me so claustrophobic with all the big heads walking through the door.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks for explaining what popular vote means. I'm not sure all the government classes I've taken for my degree have quite driven that home.

And it's not about snobbery. (Good word, though, by the way.) I, like Donte, am not saying that The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a bad movie, and in fact, I did ENJOY it more than the film I voted for. But to me, enjoyment and artistic appreciation are separate, even if the difference is slight. You don't separate the two, and that's fine. I accept that you think differently, and I'm fine with it. One could make an argument, though, that by insisting YOUR view is THE view, that's equally snobbish.
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:25 am

I didn't mean to insult your intelligence. Just saying, if you are going to decide something by a vote, don't be surprised when the answer you get is the most popular one.

And what I mean by snobbery is the people that think they know what makes a film great more than other people. I never suggest that I am right when I say a certain film is better than another, its just my opinion, based on which one I enjoy more. When you call something a "best" movie, it suggests that you know more about what makes a film good than the average person. Which is what I consider snobby. If the 40-year old virgin tried to be artistic, it would have sucked. By your logic, entire genre's of films can never really be considered great because they are not trying to be artsy. I look at each film and judge it based on what it is trying to be. To have one set of values that you assign to what makes a film "the best" is, in my opinion, rather foolish. You can't judge the Constant Gardener and the 40-Year-Old Virgin on the same level. They are entirely different concepts and styles. If you think that The Constant Gardener pulled its style off better and you really loved it, then by all means, vote for it. That isn't wrong. But don't suggest that it is any more of a film than the 40-Year-Old-Virgin that is in an entirely different ballpark.

Its very difficult to compare films that are so different in nature. That is why I just default back to which one I enjoyed the most. Which is why I suspect 40-Year-Old Virgin is winning the poll.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:16 am

geezer9687 wrote:Oh yeah Donte? I'm pretty sure the point of watching a film is to enjoy the experience, correct me if I'm wrong.

Not always. How many people love Schindler's List??? Is that movie so thoroughly enjoyable? "Boy I sure enjoyed the hell out of Schindler's List. Those nazis sure are something else aren't they? I could watch them kill jews all day."

There is a big difference between art and schlock and that is one thing we will never agree on. If that were the case no books would ever be published because we have sunday funnies for enjoyment. Only movies like BHC or HSM part 38 would be made because no person would ever want to watch Au Revoir les Enfants or All the Presidents Men. Sometimes a movie is not about enjoyment, it is about emotion and feeling and making a statement.

I didn't vote for Obama because he was the most enjoyable or best looking candidate. I voted for him because he was the better choice to run the country. By voting for the "popular" movie you are in fact doing that exact thing. I didn't vote for Virgin because against Constant Gardener in a "Best Movie" poll it is a piece of shit with no meaning whatsoever. If the poll were favorite or funniest movie it could very well win but in a best of poll it is outclassed.

We will never convince each other of this arguement. You are too young to understand my PoV and I am too full of cynical hatred at this shit world to see yours.

Maybe I will nominate
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:27 am

MisterInformative wrote:
I, like Donte, am not saying that The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a bad movie, and in fact, I did ENJOY it more than the film I voted for. But to me, enjoyment and artistic appreciation are separate, even if the difference is slight. You don't separate the two, and that's fine. I accept that you think differently, and I'm fine with it. One could make an argument, though, that by insisting YOUR view is THE view, that's equally snobbish.

I'm with Geezer on this one. I don't think you can distinguish between enjoyable and best. To do so is utterly pretentious because you're creating a category ("best") in which you don't actually enjoy the film, you just think you do. People's tastes differ, and people want different things for movies, but it is ultimately about enjoyment. Even when it's Schlinder's List, which is a very saddening film, it's the power of the film that creates and enjoyment, even if the subject matter is difficult, or the ending downbeat.

I voted for 40 Year Old Virgin- I rate it above Wong Kar Wai's beautiful and abstruse 2046, or the earnest The Constant Gardener. In fact it's in my Top 100, alongside Kubrick, Bergman, and Fellini films. But that's because I rate it above most bland Hollywood trash- it's a genuinely funny and honest film, that doesn't really try to be rude for kicks, even though it centres on a mildly taboo subject. The dialogue is natural yet witty, and most importantly, it has heart.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:34 am

Im also with geez you cant distinguish between best and what you enjoyed the most. Six nailed it on the head also pretty much took the words out of mouth very well said bro.

Anyway i also voted for The 40 Year Old Virgin. In my sad little eyes its the funniest movie ever made and that's why i voted for it. I havent seen Capote 2046 Sky High or A History Of Violence. But from the other films that i have seen The 40 Year Old Virgin is the best.

On another side how did Sky High make the poll and the amazing Hustle and Flow didnt? puzziling to me.

One last thing the most popular movies havent always won like Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind beat Spider-Man 2 and The Incredbilesfor the 2004 Crown. Auditon and Oldboy won their respective months. People have varying opinions clearly and sometimes the biggest movies wins and other times the small films win. Shit happens and we will see what happens in the future polls.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 am

transformers2 wrote:
On another side how did Sky High make the poll and the amazing Hustle and Flow didnt? puzziling to me.

Simple. We are all white. Ugly but true. How many people on here have even seen Hustle and Flow? Seriously, think about it.

The same thing happens to foreign movies. American audiences (as a whole not a person specifically) ignore anything that they have to read. They would rather watch talking dogs than read subtitles for a brilliant foreign film. Again ugly but true.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:40 am

I'm bored as hell so I'm just going to continue to debate this.

Not always. How many people love Schindler's List??? Is that movie so thoroughly enjoyable? "Boy I sure enjoyed the hell out of Schindler's List. Those nazis sure are something else aren't they? I could watch them kill jews all day."
Obviously people don't watch the movie to enjoy watching nazis kill Jews. The enjoyment from watching Schindler's List comes from watching someone do something about it. That makes you feel good about a horrible situation. Its a great story.
Only movies like BHC or HSM part 38 would be made because no person would ever want to watch Au Revoir les Enfants or All the Presidents Men.
I highly doubt that Donte. There are vast differences in taste between people so no matter what people think, all the different types of movies will still be made. You say an 8 year old All the Presidents Men, do you think they are going to love it? I doubt it. Now, show them Beverly Hills Chihuahua and they will have a ball. Just because a film isn't intended for you, doesn't mean that its not someone's favorite movie.
I didn't vote for Obama because he was the most enjoyable or best looking candidate. I voted for him because he was the better choice to run the country. By voting for the "popular" movie you are in fact doing that exact thing.
It's a bit of a stretch to compare watching a film to deciding who will be best fit to run a country. But I'll use it to prove my point as well. There were millions of voters that steadfastly believed in their heart of hearts that John McCain was the better choice to lead this country. Just like there are millions of people that believe the 40-Year-Old-Virgin is a better movie than the Constant Gardener. The only difference is, we will have a somewhat tangible result as to who would be better suited to run the country, as that has tangible results. The only tangible result that movies give us is how they make us feel when we watch them, and there is no changing how one movie impacts a person. It's their personality.
If the poll were favorite or funniest movie it could very well win but in a best of poll it is outclassed.
If people didn't think that the 40-Year-Old-Virgin was a great movie, it wouldn't have been nominated. Who says a great movie has to be artistic, or have meaning or even be serious. A "great" comedy is one that makes you laugh repeatedly. In this regard, 40-Y-O-V is a great comedy. Like I said before, it is very difficult to judge one movie against another when they were aiming for completely different results, but that is what we have to do here.

I have no problem with you thinking that That Constant Gardener is a better film than the 40-Y-O-V, but saying that a particular film doesn't even belong in the conversation, because it is so absurd to think that it could be better than your artsy movie, is what I have a problem with. What makes your opinion on what makes a film great any better than the opinion of the 5 people that voted for the 40-Y-O-V?

(Insert Donte smartass answer here)

Edit: very well said 6. We rarely agree, but this is something we can really see eye-to-eye on.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:13 am

[quote="geezer9687"] I'm bored as hell so I'm just going to continue to debate this. [quote]

It is that kind of dreary day isn't it. We got our first snow (and hence ice) of the year so I am in a shitty bored mood.

[quote="geezer9687"] What makes your opinion on what makes a film great any better than the opinion of the 5 people that voted for the 40-Y-O-V?

(Insert Donte smartass answer here)[quote]

Twisted Evil Because I am smarter than they are. Razz
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:15 am

"...he said while having trouble with HTML."

Laughing
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:29 am

Aw Donte, it's no fun when you beat us to a comeback against yourself Wink
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:55 am

Yeah well I am just so good that even when I mess up after having said how brilliant I was, I am the first to catch it. Razz

hahahah I feel like a tool.

I need a homer Dooohhhh smiley.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:51 am

geezer9687 wrote: I look at each film and judge it based on what it is trying to be. To have one set of values that you assign to what makes a film "the best" is, in my opinion, rather foolish. You can't judge the Constant Gardener and the 40-Year-Old Virgin on the same level. They are entirely different concepts and styles. If you think that The Constant Gardener pulled its style off better and you really loved it, then by all means, vote for it. That isn't wrong. But don't suggest that it is any more of a film than the 40-Year-Old-Virgin that is in an entirely different ballpark.
That's what I do too. That's why I liked Transformers, because I judged it on what it was trying to be, a mindless popcorn movie. If we can't judge different styles against one another, though, then doesn't that make this entire poll off-base?

To clarify, I'm not suggesting that The Constant Gardener is more of a film than Virgin. I voted for it based largely on the admitted bias that as a government major, political films appeal to me more than they do to many others.
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:42 am

Well that makes much more sense Mr. I! If it appeals more to you, then that's great.

And about the poll being way off base, sure, maybe it is. But that goes back to the very point that you made at the beginning, that this vote is, and has always been, a fantaverse popularity contest. We are voting upon what the majority likes, based on when films were released. So it does force us to compare films of different genres, which like I mentioned, causes me to automatically default back to whichever film I enjoyed more.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:11 am

40 Year old Virgin takes Jul-Sep pretty handly over the rest of the field. surfer here are the movies that made into the Oct-Dec Poll.

Wolf Creek
Brokeback Mountain
Walk The Line
Saw 2
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Wallace and Gromit
Syriana
Match Point
The Squid and The Whale
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:37 am

Poll is up now! Very Happy
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:40 am

In a shocking move given the criteria I gave for my last vote, I did NOT pick the political film this time.
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

1 more vote for either Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Or Brokeback Mountain clinches the title for this quarter
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:05 am

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang takes the Oct-Dec 2005 Crown. It will square off against Oldboy,Sin City and The 40 Year Old Virgin for the 05 crown. so surfer can you yet again do the honors of putting the poll up. thank you very much again for all your help.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:12 am

I got you covered tranny
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:24 am

geezer9687 wrote:I got you covered tranny

Thanks geez. 2005 Poll is up vote away!
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:16 pm

Thank god for multiple mods. Sorry T-Bone, been a little busy of late, hopefully I can be on here more to assist, but I've obviously got my ass covered!
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:08 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Thank god for multiple mods. Sorry T-Bone, been a little busy of late, hopefully I can be on here more to assist, but I've obviously got my ass covered!

its fine man ive been busy myself. plus as you already you got your ass covered.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next