The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twilight News: Hardwicke Fired Off of 'Twilight' Franchise

+12
Keyser Soze
MisterInformative
Alyson
A_Roode
NSpan
JackO
W
becs
BanksIsDaFuture
Buscemi
Mannix2121
lillylovelost
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Twilight News: Hardwicke Fired Off of 'Twilight' Franchise Empty Twilight News: Hardwicke Fired Off of 'Twilight' Franchise

Post by lillylovelost Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:30 am

Some serioius Hollywood news came out today. Catherine Hardwicke was fired off of the rest of the 'Twilight' franchise!

Hardwicke Fired Off 'Twilight' Franchise
EXCLUSIVE: So the rumors are true. I've confirmed that Summit Entertainment is taking Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke off the sequel in this big new franchise. No doubt my news will speed up the studio's announcement, and Summit will surely try to spin this as all going down amicably. This terrible news for Hardwicke comes just as she and the Twilight cast are on their European press tour. No doubt, tomorrow's interviews in France will now focus entirely on what, if anything, Catherine did to deserve this treatment. This also could blow up into a scandal for Summit if it chooses a male director over Hardwicke, whose Twilight easily beat Mimi Leder's 1998 Deep Impact box office gross as the biggest opener for a female director. That was a record embraced by Hollywood feminists as a sign of growing gal power. Now Hardwicke's career will surely be damaged by this very public firing because, even though the pic was skewered by critics, it is already a $160M low-cost blockbuster. Summit has started preparing the sequel New Moon, based on Meyer's second book in the series, and, to contain costs, the studio is considering making third book Eclipse back to back).

The word from inside Summit is that Hardwicke, the acclaimed Thirteen director, "was 'difficult' and 'irrational' during the making of Twilight," one insider explains to me. "That doesn't mean anything when you're talking about a filmmaker because they all are, but still..." (Indeed, Joe Roth and Sony kept saying those things about Julie Taymor on Across The Universe. Yet she made a cult classic and is now directing Marvel/Sony's Spider-Man for Broadway.) From another of my sources, "Summit didn't like her. They're saying the DP [director of photography] Elliot Davis is the one responsible for the film's sumptuous visual look, that the editor Nancy Richardson had to save the film in post-production, and Summit thought Hardwicke's [CAA] agent Beth Swofford was alternately ineffectual and hysterical [when it came to controlling her client]."

In fact, I'm told that the studio has even had quiet talks with other CAA directors for the last week. "And Swofford never told Hardwicke about that and that she was about to get kicked to the gutter," an insider tells me. "To add insult to injury, Hardwicke can now look forward to being grilled by the press for days on end, in front of the cast, about why she's getting shit-canned."

Source: http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/hardwicke-fired-from-twilight-franchise

This is really huge news. I can't describe how I feel right now. Personally, I think that the person that should've been fired was Melissa Rosenberg, the screenwriter. I thought Catherine did a wonderful job with what she was given.

Note: I don't know how official it is though until Summit says anything, but I see DHD stuff posted all the time on here, so I think it could be official.
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

http://gangsterdorothy.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Twilight News: Hardwicke Fired Off of 'Twilight' Franchise Empty Re: Twilight News: Hardwicke Fired Off of 'Twilight' Franchise

Post by Mannix2121 Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:41 am

Just when I was saying how great it is to see a small studio getting such a huge blockbuster, now it seems they are about to get a lot of bad publicity. Although with the massive success of this movie, if the news is true I'm sure there is a good reason for it. Still, this sounds just like the Terrance Howard-Iron Man fiasco Paramount is dealing with...
Mannix2121
Mannix2121
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Twilight News: Hardwicke Fired Off of 'Twilight' Franchise Empty Re: Twilight News: Hardwicke Fired Off of 'Twilight' Franchise

Post by Buscemi Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:53 am

I think that this could be a franchise killer. When you break up a winning formula, you get the fans upset. And when you get the fans upset, then you get a lesser sequel (example: no Bryan Singer for X-Men 3, no Paul Verhoeven for the RoboCop sequels, no John McTiernan for Live Free Or Die Hard, no James Cameron for Rise Of The Machines or Salvation, no Tim Burton for Batman Forever or Batman and Robin). Though sometimes it can work (such as Aliens, Die Hard 2 or Stallone's Rocky sequels), Hardwicke is just too good of a director to lose (see Thirteen for my example) and I can't trust Summit with hiring another good director to continue the success of the series.

Unless it's Kathryn Bigelow (another female director who recently directed The Hurt Locker for Summit, sure she's primarily an action director but it could work).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:10 am

Wow, this is shocking. I didn't see any sort of directorial problems in the movie, just with the budget. Well, I do remember her saying that with how well the movie had done, that she wanted a bigger budget for New Moon. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Or I'm guessing she wanted a significant salary hike to sign on for the sequels.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:38 am

I'm definitely curious to see what comes of this. I haven't yet made it out to see the movie *shame*, but from all i've heard the budget was the main downfall, so I don't see how the studio can blame that on the director.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:47 am

becs wrote:I'm definitely curious to see what comes of this. I haven't yet made it out to see the movie *shame*, but from all i've heard the budget was the main downfall, so I don't see how the studio can blame that on the director.

Summit has always struck me as a frugal company. Most of their films are low-budget teen films and pickups and apparently they don't want to change that. Though Astro Boy is a start, they'd rather make low-budget flops such as Sex Drive, Never Back Down, P2 and The Hottie and The Nottie than bet the farm on big budgets like a $60 million+ New Moon or American Pie sequels (they co-produced the original but passed on the sequels).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:49 am

My wife read that the only way the director was coming back is if they had a larger budget, so there could be some truth there.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:24 am

Interesting stuff. We'll see how it turns out. I think Hardwicke is replaceable though. She's no Spielberg.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by lillylovelost Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:03 am

Official Press Release:

SUMMIT BEGINS SEARCH FOR NEW MOON DIRECTOR

Los Angeles, CA, December 7, 2008 – Summit Entertainment and director Catherine Hardwicke jointly announced today that the filmmaker will not be directing the next installment in the newly minted TWILIGHT film franchise. Summit’s targeted end of 2009 or early 2010 release of the film, NEW MOON, does not work with Ms. Hardwicke’s required prep time to bring her vision of the film to the big screen. Thus as has been done before with many successful film franchises, the studio will employ a new director for NEW MOON.

"I am sorry that due to timing I will not have the opportunity to direct NEW MOON,” said Hardwicke. “Directing TWILIGHT has been one of the great experiences of my life, and I am grateful to the fans for their passionate support of the film. I wish everyone at Summit the best with the sequel-- it is a great story."

“Catherine did an incredible job in helping us to launch the TWILIGHT franchise and we thank her for all of her efforts and we very much hope to work with her on future Summit projects,” said Erik Feig, Summit’s President of Production. “We as a studio have a mandate to bring the next installment in the franchise to the big screen in a timely fashion so that fans can get more of Edward, Bella and all of the characters that Stephenie Meyer has created. We are able to pursue an aggressive time frame as we have the luxury of only adapting the novels into screenplays as opposed to having to create a storyline from scratch.”

Source: http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5898&Itemid=99
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:04 pm

sounds like a smart move to me
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:28 pm

Jacko has said it best. The typical movie fan is more interested in the finished product than they are in the technical players who put it together. If it was a recasting of Edward or Bella? Look out! New director? The fans will struggle on somehow.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:01 pm

If it really is about the budget, though, a lot of fans will be pissed. But, they'll still see it, so it won't really matter.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:27 pm

Buscemi wrote:

Summit has always struck me as a frugal company. Most of their films are low-budget teen films and pickups and apparently they don't want to change that. Though Astro Boy is a start, they'd rather make low-budget flops such as Sex Drive, Never Back Down, P2 and The Hottie and The Nottie than bet the farm on big budgets like a $60 million+ New Moon or American Pie sequels (they co-produced the original but passed on the sequels).

This is exactly why Summit shouldn't have been allowed to control such a huge quadrilogy like Twilight. Let them stick to the low risk, low reward projects and hand the reins over to a major, like WB or Paramount.

Then again this is sort of smart on their part, they know the rabid fans will see the movie no matter how shitty Edward looks when he steps into the sunlight. Why hike the budget when they'll probably lose none of the profit if they don't?

It's the age old dilemma as movie-making as a business versus an artform to please fans.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by lillylovelost Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:58 pm

Buscemi wrote:

This is exactly why Summit shouldn't have been allowed to control such a huge quadrilogy like Twilight. Let them stick to the low risk, low reward projects and hand the reins over to a major, like WB or Paramount.

Then again this is sort of smart on their part, they know the rabid fans will see the movie no matter how shitty Edward looks when he steps into the sunlight. Why hike the budget when they'll probably lose none of the profit if they don't?

It's the age old dilemma as movie-making as a business versus an artform to please fans.

The funny thing is Paramount and MTV films had 'Twilight' way back when the first book was barely even out. The problem was that the script deviated way out in left field from the book. It's been mentioned a few times that it was an entirely different movie.

Well, I'm a cynical person and someone who knows about the business, so I really care who directs a film.

I do agree with your statement. It is an age old dilemma. I really hope Summit works it out, but their inexperience might hinder any sort of pleasing result.
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:40 am

I think it will be fine, better even. I mean the Harry Potter Franchise has had several directors, and they keep getting better. I enjoyed Twilight, but I wouldn't mind seeing New Moon in different hands.
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by lillylovelost Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:24 am

Alyson wrote:I think it will be fine, better even. I mean the Harry Potter Franchise has had several directors, and they keep getting better. I enjoyed Twilight, but I wouldn't mind seeing New Moon in different hands.

I really need to get a life outside of Twilight Razz

Anyway, there's apparently been offer for Chris Weitz (About A Boy, Golden Compass) to direct New Moon. Don't know, just heard it today though.
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:31 am

That might be a franchise killer. Especially since a lot of people didn't like his idea of the His Dark Materials series (actually, I liked The Golden Compass but I've never read the book).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:25 am

I think who the director is matters a hell of a lot less to most people than it does to us, and won't make much difference at all, unless it's Uwe Boll.
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:07 am

MisterInformative wrote:I think who the director is matters a hell of a lot less to most people than it does to us, and won't make much difference at all, unless it's Uwe Boll.

Yep, very few directors can actually make a film more money just by their name being attached. Spielburg, Eastwood, possibly Spike Lee (depending who the film is aimed at), Del Toro would bring his cult following, the Coen Bros., obviously QT, and I imagine that whatever Peter Jackson film is next (the Hobbit?) will make more just because of his past success. I don't even think Scorsese, Coppola, or Polanski being a big draw just because their name is attached, though I'm not saying that the quality of the film (and actors) will raise, hence higher BO potential.

Really, the only director that could put his name on a movie called "A Big Fat Turd" and make an instant $100 M Domestic is Spielburg. "Steven Speilburg Presents: A Big Fat Turd"... Ok, maybe Peter Jackson could do it as well, but it'd have to be "Peter Jackson Presents: The Hobbit That Ate Too Much (Mexican Food)".
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannix2121 Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:24 am

W wrote:
I imagine that whatever Peter Jackson film is next (the Hobbit?)

Actually I heard that Del Toro is lined up to direct the Hobbit...Jackson, as far as I know, is still producing. Should make for an interesting team!
Mannix2121
Mannix2121
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannix2121 Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:27 am

Meant to put this in the last post but I just heard this today that Chris Weitz is officially signed on to do New Moon. I'm not sure that is good news for Summit, but as some of you have said, I think directors matter much less to the general public than they do to film buffs like us.
Mannix2121
Mannix2121
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:36 am

Could Weitz be the killer of two franchises?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by lillylovelost Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:10 am

Buscemi wrote:Could Weitz be the killer of two franchises?

From what I hear about "The Golden Compass", New Line edited the shit out of it and the director's cut is amazing.

I will give him credit for making a very good movie "About A Boy", and producing with his brother on "In Good Company".

I feel very weird though that the co-director of "American Pie" is directing a movie and series that stays away from sex altogether. Very strange.
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:21 am

I will have to give you credit on The Golden Compass. The last twenty minutes were chopped completely and therefore it ends too soon.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:49 am

Did he do American Dreamz, or was that Paul Weitz?
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next