The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2

+13
NSpan
geezer9687
Donte77
SuperShaan
silversurfer19
numbersix_99
Keyser Soze
BanksIsDaFuture
MisterInformative
undeadmonkey
Buscemi
Swedgin!
becs
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Empty The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2

Post by becs Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:49 am

The internet is abuzz with the news that Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell are in talks to play villains in Iron Man 2.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/17673/1/SORTING-OUT-THIS-IRON-MAN-2-BUSINESS/Page1.html
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Empty Re: The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2

Post by Swedgin! Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 am

LOVE what Jon Favreau, Robert Downey, Jr., and Warner's are doing with this franchise! "No good deed goes unpunished" is a quote I've heard attributed to Favreau when discussing the second and third films in the franchise. I always envisioned Vanko being a protégé -- perhaps, even, the eldest son, thought to be dead -- of Yinsen, whom Stark rescues from the war-torn Afghanistan, who himself becomes the next target of the Mandarin and the Ten Rings. Like the original Crimson Dynamo, Vanko would both betray Stark and sacrifice himself to save him. (Shades of Batman's Robin.) But the casting of Mickey Rourke means that they're going another way, which I find exciting.

I'm less thrilled with the casting of Sam Rockwell as a thinly disguished Armand Hammer -- perhaps they have it backwards; Rourke as Hammer and Rockwell as Vanko? -- but I can deal. Like Christopher Nolan, Favreau's earned my trust as far as casting goes. I mean, Hell, he even made Gwyneth Paltrow semi-appealing, and about the only thing I've ever wanted to give that bitch was a sandwich.

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 406312-195084-war-machine_large
This time, baby
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Empty Re: The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2

Post by becs Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:18 am

Hmm well I'm not familiar with the ironman characters, however the article says Rockwell is appearing to be slated for Justin Hammer... is that the same as armand hammer?
EDIT nm, CD = rourke.. blah
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am

Erm, well, yes and no. Armand Hammer was an ethnic-Russian Jew but an American-born citizen, a onetime medical doctor who later ran one of the world's largest oil and chemical-production companies, Occidental Petroleum, at one time one of the wealthiest men in the world, and an intimate of several world leaders, including members of the Soviet Politburo. The character of S.R. Hadden in Contact is very specifically based on Hammer, and so (and somewhat more transparently) is Justin Hammer, of the Iron Man comics.

In modern terms, think of a combination of Dick Cheney, Rupert Murdoch and T. Boone Pickens, and you'll come close to Armand Hammer. Throw in Bernard Madoff, and you'll have Justin Hammer.

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Trost03
He only looks like Dr. Strangelove

Last edited by Swedgin! on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:35 am

So with Mickey Rourke, it's going to become Iron Man 2: He-Man, The Desperate Years?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 am

I hope Rourke is the second bad guy described (whiplash or something)... If he has his own suit what's there to make it any different than ironmonger?
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Swedgin! wrote:LOVE what Jon Favreau, Robert Downey, Jr., and Warner's are doing with this franchise!
Forgive my nit-picking, but... it's Paramount, right? Warner Bros. does DC Comics, except for they just put a bunch of projects on hold, apparently:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=11552&count=0
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:50 pm

You're 100% correct, Mr. I., it's Paramount. Consider my nits amply picked.
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:05 pm

Swedgin! wrote: I mean, Hell, he even made Gwyneth Paltrow semi-appealing, and about the only thing I've ever wanted to give that bitch was a sandwich.

Classic. Just classic.

And I'm very excited for IM2, I'm glad to hear Mr. Rourke is back. The Wrestler, The Expendables, Iron Man 2....let's just hope he doesn't get that boxing fever again.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:15 pm

While I do understand the need to put Justin Hammer in an Iron Man movie (Pretty much just replaces the Obadiah Stane role from the first movie as a foil for Stark), I personally think Whiplash is a bad idea. The guy was a second rate villian on his best days. I would have much rather seen The Mandarin and his robot flunkie Ultimo as the villians. So much more could be done with The Mandarin's ten different rings(and Ultimo to boot) as opposed to a dude with a whip.

Like Swed, I totally trust Favreau as he seems to have a real affinity for the history and canon of the original Marvel years, but I've got to say, this does not excite me in the least.

Mandarin creating Ultimo

[img]The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Colan20TOS207720page1[/img]
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:38 pm

Swedgin! wrote:
I'm less thrilled with the casting of Sam Rockwell as a thinly disguished Armand Hammer -- perhaps they have it backwards; Rourke as Hammer and Rockwell as Vanko? -- but I can deal. Like Christopher Nolan, Favreau's earned my trust as far as casting goes.

Don't knock the Rock(well), he's one of the best character actors around.

Swedgin! wrote:I mean, Hell, he even made Gwyneth Paltrow semi-appealing, and about the only thing I've ever wanted to give that bitch was a sandwich.

You mean a human sandwich, right?
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:57 pm

No, a sandwich. Not made of sausage, pulled pork, sausage, hot beef, sausage, salami or bratwurst. (Or, sausage.) Just - a - SANDWICH.

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Bn238057
Sometimes a woman eating a sandwich is just... oh, Hell, nevermind.
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Swedgin! wrote:No, a sandwich. Not made of sausage, pulled pork, sausage, hot beef, sausage, salami or bratwurst. (Or, sausage.) Just - a - SANDWICH.

Wait, you said sausage four times..... Were you suggesting some innuendos there..... Shocked Shocked

At least you are considerate of her vegetarian ways when considering what you'd like to give her (no matter how deluded she must be when believing a sandwich NOT made with any of those fillings would be a good thing).

Oh, and ON topic, I'm with Keyser, Whiplash was never much of a kickass villain, but I guess they could hasvr introduced Mister Doll or The Unicorn. Now they WERE terrible villains.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Its strange I saw her on some food programme, eating bread and tomatoes.
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:24 pm

I don't understand vegans or vegetarians. I appreciate healthy eating, I really do, particularly after the year I've just had, but, really, folks, if the good Lord didn't mean for us to eat animals, why come He made so many of 'em out of meat?

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Peta10
Card-carrying member for life
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:Oh, and ON topic, I'm with Keyser, Whiplash was never much of a kickass villain, but I guess they could hasvr introduced Mister Doll or The Unicorn. Now they WERE terrible villains.

Surf,

We don't have enough time to list all of the stupid villians that Iron Man had, but those two would be near the top of the list
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Iron Man must have had the WORST set of foes out of every superhero, there were more bad ones than good. Now I think about it, there were very few good villains for him to fight. I did like Titanium Man, but that was a crap name.....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Harkening back to an earlier post, this actually really belongs in the NEWS OF THE WEIRD thread:

From The New York Times: Save the Squirrels! Eat Some of 'Em... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07squirrel.html?pagewanted=all

Apparently, because it's only those nasty, impoverished, poorly educated GRAY squirrels who are being targeted for mastication, this qualifies as a... wait for it... "ate" crime.

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Squirrel-with-machine-gun
And so began the war
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:54 pm

silversurfer19 wrote: Oh, and ON topic, I'm with Keyser, Whiplash was never much of a kickass villain, but I guess they could hasvr introduced Mister Doll or The Unicorn. Now they WERE terrible villains.

You said Unicorn. Laughing Hahah The Unicorn. Embarassed How embarrassing to be the Unicorn. No

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Tales_of_Suspense_56
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:03 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:Iron Man must have had the WORST set of foes out of every superhero, there were more bad ones than good. Now I think about it, there were very few good villains for him to fight. I did like Titanium Man, but that was a crap name.....

I disagree. I think Iron Man, Spider-Man and Captain America all had some very horrible villains as well as thier great, famous foes but Daredevil wins this argument.

The Owl. He is a villain who looks like wolverine (with the same hair and claws except that his claws are strapped on and NOT made of adamantium.
The Ringmaster and the circus of crime. A clown with a trick cane and juggling balls. An elephant trainer. What?
Tatterdemalion (his super power was that his touch rots cloth. Cloth, fer fucks sake!!!)
The Frikkin Matador. Uggghhhhhh! He committed crimes with his little red cape and his hat and tassled pants. Why??? WHY!?!?!?!?
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:06 pm

So what about the Mandarin, there was reference to the 10 rings in the first one, are they saving him for Iron Man 3?
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Donte wrote:I disagree. I think Iron Man, Spider-Man and Captain America all had some very horrible villains as well as thier great, famous foes but Daredevil wins this argument.

True, I had forgotten about his bevy of bewildering baddies. Iron Man did have a LOT of poor foes though.

Tatterdemalion (his super power was that his touch rots cloth. Cloth, fer fucks sake!!!)

Oh, I forgot about him, what a terrible villain. He disolved paper too, which he used to destroy money. What kind of bad guy was he!!
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Captain America and Spider-Man had villians that were 10 times as good as those that Iron Man had, but you are so right, Daredevil totally took the cake back during the Silver Age. You also failed to mention the Ani-Men and The Purple Man.

As for The Owl, you do realize that he was created about 15 years before Wolverine, right?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:23 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:As for The Owl, you do realize that he was created about 15 years before Wolverine, right?

At least they got it right second time round and actually made a decent character.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 pm

I was not real sure about what he looked like in those really early appearances. Here is a pic I found of his first appearance.

The most joyus news I've heard all day! - Iron Man 2 Idd38yw

No claws on the cover at least and none on his next couple DD appearances. First pic I can find of the claws is Spectacular Spiderman # 73 in 1976. Wolvie made his appearance in Hulk in 74. Ahh Haahhhh.

Wolvie stole the Owl's hair so Owl stole Wolvie's claws.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next