The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care

+7
BanksIsDaFuture
Donte77
leestu
Buscemi
NSpan
geezer9687
JackO
11 posters

Go down

Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Empty Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care

Post by JackO Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:51 am

You know, I had watch Let the Right One In recently on my blind bought DVD. I found the story to be compelling yet very dry. I didn't want to come on here and be a Negative Nancy so I kept my thoughts to myself. Now, I might know why the film as a whole did not stick with me as much as the visuals did.

Let The Wrong Subtitles In To LET THE RIGHT ONE IN?!

If you're an avid reader of this or just about any other horror web-publication, then no doubt you've heard plenty about the Swedish indie-vampire flick LET THE RIGHT ONE IN - a somber, haunting & beautiful tale directed with finesse by Tomas Alfredson. In the last year, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN has quickly garnered "cult" like status among genre & movie fans alike. It managed to top the "best of 2008" lists for just about every horror website out there, and has become a favorite for the entire ICONS staff here. So, naturally, we were all rather excited that the film finally was released last week here in the US on both DVD and Blu-Ray.

I personally decided to host a screening of the DVD with a handful of friends that had yet to experience LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. (Mind you, I'd already had an advance early screener copy of the movie for months and had seen it twice during it's limited theatrical run, so it's safe to say that I knew the film rather intimately. We were all excited to watch a top quality DVD version though in the comfort of my own home.)

About 20 minutes into the screening, I was absolutely horrified.

The subtitles had been drastically changed since the last time I saw it, and dare I say... had been completely dumbed down? Sure, the basic gist of what the characters were saying was kind of there, but missing completely was the dark humor, subtleties and character nuances which made the movie so powerful and a favorite amongst audiences last year. I tried to carry on and ignore it, hoping that only a few of the translations were off... but... I was wrong. Just about the intent of every single line of dialogue was completely off and ruined the movie.

It became so frustrating, that I stopped the US DVD, got my original screener copy & we continued by watching that version instead. I realize now that sadly for everyone else out there, they don't have this option.

Anyways, I recommend clicking the link and seeing the two comparisons of the films head to head. The subtitle person surely took the heart out of the film. No

Last edited by JackO on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Empty Re: Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care

Post by geezer9687 Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:58 am

Just another reason not to trust foreign films. I'll take my vampire flicks in English, to go. With a side of Freedom Fries and Apple Pie. Twisted Evil
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Empty Re: Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care

Post by NSpan Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 am

wow, that sucks... and, to think, i've been recommending this to people
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:17 am

Looks like that I'm going to wait even longer to see this. The subtitles make it seem more like The Seeker rather than "the vampire movie of the decade".

But truthfully, I still can't get past the dull title and the excessive hype that's probably nothing more than hot air (like with Pan's Labyrinth).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:46 am

That is so wrong. Even worse than (or at least equivalent to) seeing Jesus Of Montreal dubbed instead of subtitled (IMO the voices are a significant part of this movie). I am just glad that when I saw the dubbed version it was my second viewing so I had already experienced the movie as it should be.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:12 am

I would never watch Persepolis dubbed for the very same reason, leestu.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Is it any wonder that sometimes I want to kill people and watch them slowly die????

Just checking.

Now I have to try to find this movie with the original translation. Anybody have any ideas where we can get the real translation other than learning a foreign language?
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:19 pm

Sure Donte, wait for the remake Laughing
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Just for some perspective:

Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Let10
Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Let210
Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Let610
Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Let710

And from the US version:

Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Let410
Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Let510

Shocked
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 pm

geezer9687 wrote:Sure Donte, wait for the remake Laughing

Don't make me drive to Massachusetts to kill you... LOL
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Fuck! I just got the blu ray from amazon. I imagine the subtitles are the same? Luckily, I didn't open it, so I can return it, but man...I loved that movie. If American audiences would ever get off their lazy asses to enjoy something more than explosion extravaganzas...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:28 pm

said FriendO to Geez. LOL

I am quite annoyed as well. Luckily I just got it from Netflix and didn't buy it outright yet. Thanks to umm errrr, whoever started this thread for that info.

JackO!!!

Last edited by Donte77 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added the "JackO!!!")
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:36 pm

I just wrote Magnolia Pictures, who released the DVD, and went off. Everyone who loves film should do the same.

I'm really pissed right now.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Let the Wrong One In (Subtitles are Important, Kids!) UPDATE: Magnolia Don't Care Empty Semi-Good Updated News!

Post by JackO Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:00 am

Slashfilm reports

“We’ve been made aware that there are several fans that don’t like the version of the subtitles on the DVD/BR. We had an alternate translation that we went with. Obviously a lot of fans thought we should have stuck with the original theatrical version. We are listening to the fans feedback, and going forward we will be manufacturing the discs with the subtitles from the theatrical version.”

Unfortunately, the poor saps like me that bought the fraudulent version will receive no refunds or exchanges
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:09 am

Thank god it hasn't been released over here yet or I would be stuck with that copy. And for anyone wondering how you will know which is the correct copy when buying it, on the back of the dvd it will be noted as "English Subtitles (Theatrical)".
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:34 am

mfrendo wrote:I just wrote Magnolia Pictures, who released the DVD, and went off.
besides this screw-up, i'd say Magnolia is a pretty cool company
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 am

Damn it, looks like they've stung me with the lousy subtitles as well!
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Man Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:15 am

Looks like I'll have to double dip with this DVD release.

I watched this version and like it a lot (I didn't get a chance to see it in theaters), but I'll definitely be picking up a better translated version when available (and it could increase my lovage of the film).

J-Man
Juno MacGuff
Juno MacGuff

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 pm

NSpan wrote:
besides this screw-up, i'd say Magnolia is a pretty cool company

It was a pretty big fuck up though...and it makes me doubt ever buying foreign films from them again. Though, I may be biased since I liked the film so much...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:19 pm

From Slashfilm

Yes the bloggers are having a field day on this one. Normally they like to pick on the English Dub tracks, but in this case it’s the subtitles. Obviously online tend to get rowdy and bandwagon mentality without knowing all the details. The current subtitle track is not altering the context of the film at all, in fact it’s a more literal translation than any prior version of subtitles. It’s not a defective or faulty subtitle file. Just more literal and larger in size for the small screen. Both English and Spanish subtitle files were produced for this dvd release. Frankly it’s not all that uncommon to have the subs vary from prior releases, typically go unnoticed as subs are purely a translation of film dialogue. This wouldn’t have been a blip had it not been for one particular horror blog doing a side by side and claiming that they are wrong. They are not. We are not doing a recall or anything of that nature, again, these are not defective. Title came out two weeks ago and general public don’t notice and don’t care – bloggers are well known for jumping on something, making an issue of it and moving on. We have decided that based on the feedback that we will be making a running change, so that going forward (once inventories deplete), we will be making that subtitle version available. Options in set up will be; English Subtitles / English (theatrical) Subtitles / Spanish Subtitles”
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:07 am

From Slashfilm

The current subtitle track is not altering the context of the film at all, in fact it’s a more literal translation than any prior version of subtitles. It’s not a defective or faulty subtitle file.
they say "more literal" as if it's a good thing.. there's a reason why online language translators offer free literal translations but charge for a person to sit down and translate the meaning behind the words
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:26 am

uh, after looking into this a bit more closely--that statement was written by a guy named Andrew Frank who works at "Mongrel Media"... Why is everyone treating it like official word from Magnolia itself?

edit: okay, i was just told that Andrew Frank was supposedly quoting an "internal" message between Magnolia and Mongrel... hmm.. oh well, i'm still buying Ong Bak 2

some other movies to be thankful to Magnolia for: Severance and The Host (two of my favorite films of 2007), great martial arts flicks like Chocolate, District B13, and of course the original Ong Bak, a fun horror experiment: The Signal.. and TimeCrimes--which i haven't seen yet, but i got it in my netflix queue
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:56 am

NSpan wrote: of course the original Ong Bak, a fun horror experiment: The Signal.. and TimeCrimes--which i haven't seen yet, but i got it in my netflix queue

Loved it. Jaa is a great action hero.

Good concept and liked how they implemented the three directors.

Me too. Should get it next week depending on the wait (listed as short wait now)
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:08 am

I recently saw Timecrimes. The idea is good but the execution is poor. Not worth your time.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down