The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+11
geezer9687
Donte77
undeadmonkey
transformers2
mfrendo
BanksIsDaFuture
silversurfer19
W
leestu
NSpan
Buscemi
15 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by NSpan Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:26 am

BarcaRulz wrote:Just watched the new TV movie remake of Children of the Corn.

As comic book guy would say; WORST. MOVIE. EVER! (or at least of the year).

I gave it a 2/10 just because it had two decent scenes in it, other than that it was a poorly acted, poorly written, never scary, sometimes unintentionally funny disaster.
we turned it off about 20 minutes in... (and we had just watched Shivers)
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:04 am

NSpan wrote:
BarcaRulz wrote:Just watched the new TV movie remake of Children of the Corn.

As comic book guy would say; WORST. MOVIE. EVER! (or at least of the year).

I gave it a 2/10 just because it had two decent scenes in it, other than that it was a poorly acted, poorly written, never scary, sometimes unintentionally funny disaster.
we turned it off about 20 minutes in... (and we had just watched Shivers)

Well then you missed the best part, eventhough it was pathetically acted, I actually cheered when:

Spoiler:

Very Happy
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:40 am

thank god. i wanted to kill her within the first 5 minutes. i actually opted to run errands rather than finishing the movie.
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Wathced Beetlejuice for the first time ever, not what I expected. Keaton is great, it's crazy that he went from this to playing Batman in a year. 6/10
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:44 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Beatlejuice
6/10
my friend, this film has layers
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:48 pm

Nice fuckin' model!
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 am

Introduced the kids to Once Upon A Time In China. It's just as good as I remember from earlier viewings. A martial arts movie that doesn't just have Wu Shu action but also has a plot and humour. Taking account the time it was made (during the uncertainty of Honk Kong's future) it also has a message about a nation's cultural history and future direction. A great movie 10/10.

Also watched Arizona Dream, a movie with one of Johnny Depp's early leading roles. This was a strange movie but not in a good way. I am not averse to artistic surreal movies but I think I just missed the point with this one. I have previously seen one of the director's (Emir Kusturica) later movies; Black Cat, White Cat and quite liked that one but this one was disappointing. Although I quite liked Vincent Gallo's character and his re-enactment of some scenes from classic movies, especially the crop duster scene from North By Northwest. That was the highlight for me. Overall the acting was good but I like more than just good acting. I was surprised to later read that there are few people out there in IMDB world that rate this as one of the best/their favourite movies, comparing it to films like Amelie and Big Fish. Just like the movie - "I don't get it!" 3.5/10
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:14 am

Which version of Arizona Dream did you see? Because the longer version is supposed to be a lot better.

Differences: the short version is 119 minutes, the long version is 142 minutes.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:24 am

The DVD cover says 135 mins. I haven't watched the features yet, but that should be interesting to see what they have to say.There's a behind the scenes, and an interview with Depp and the producer (C Ossard).
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:44 am

So you watched the longer version with PAL speedup. Never mind.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:19 pm

I just watched Captain EO on YouTube. I imagine that I would have really liked it in the original 3-D 70mm version but shown flat and in a cropped version, it's only passable. It is also obvious what is supposed to be in 3-D.

Another thing that I noticed is that George Lucas ripped off himself in some places (one of the characters has a resemblance to Max Rebo while another shot features a spaceship exterior that looks similar to the Death Star from Star Wars).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Buscemi wrote:I just watched Captain EO on YouTube. I imagine that I would have really liked it in the original 3-D 70mm version but shown flat and in a cropped version, it's only passable. It is also obvious what is supposed to be in 3-D.

Another thing that I noticed is that George Lucas ripped off himself in some places (one of the characters has a resemblance to Max Rebo while another shot features a spaceship exterior that looks similar to the Death Star from Star Wars).
I was lucky enough to see it as a very small child, thought I don't remember too much it was definitely a cool experience.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 pm

Let The Right One In - 10/10

Great, great, great film. I'm glad I stuck with it because I tried to watch it about 4 times and kept falling asleep in the beginning.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Watched Zombieland this weekend. loved it. review to come soon.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:24 am

Watched Hotel Rwanda again. Such a powerful film even on the 3rd viewing. Don Cheadle did such a magifianct job in that film. A truly great film.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 am

transformers2 wrote:Watched Hotel Rwanda again. Such a powerful film even on the 3rd viewing. Don Cheadle did such a magifianct job in that film. A truly great film.

I love that movie. It always makes me cry... *clears throat* sorry, umm, momentary lapse of manly emotion =).... so how bout them cowboys!... I think i need a beer.

Anyways... I finished the first season of Jericho 9/10. I loved it, i loved the ending too, but im glad i get to see what happens after.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:35 am

Monkey likes shooting Skeet, apparently.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:32 pm

Righteous Kill (52/100): Not as bad as everyone (that I've heard) said. Probably because they were expecting too much. I wouldn't call it good, but there's no doubt it was better than 88 Minutes! The only good role in the entire film was Melissa Leo and that was less than a minute.

I would like to add, though, that John Legiuzamo is one of my favorite actors, but for some reason he never gets good roles anymore. I don't know if its his fault, his agents', or Hollywood in general but I believe he should be getting better roles than a supporting actor in Righteous Kill, Gamer (which I haven't seen yet but don't want to), Nothing Like the Holidays (which I haven't seen yet and want to), The Happening, and Miracle at St. Anna (which I want to see).
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:37 am

A couple of people I know thought Righteous Kill was a great movie....but then again knowing them I wouldn't trust their views of what is and isn't a good movie. Very Happy They probably wouldn't even consider watching, let alone liking a movie such as the one I just watched.......
All About My Mother - Another great Almodovar movie. 8.5/10
I am pleasantly surprised that the Acadamy voted for a movie whose characters include a transexual prostitute and a junkie actress. Maybe they aren't as 'stuffy' as some people think.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

NSpan wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Beatlejuice
6/10
my friend, this film has layers

layers of mediocrity...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Hahahahahaha....that totally fucking made me laugh, Banks.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:22 am

Zombieland is exactly what Shaun of the Dead should've been.. great stuff--despite 3 of the 4 principals being annoying as hell.. the movie was gimmicky and, at times, it simply tried too hard--but the good FAR outweighs the bad in this case.. go see it if you haven't already

Shivers was another low for Cronenberg.. reminded me of Rosemary's Baby (of which i'm not a fan) in that it mistook gross, tedious, and disturbing for shocking, thrilling, and scary.. not to say that horror movies shouldn't be gory and unsettling--but those attributes should be within the context of a good story and developed characters.. just throwing foul imagery up on the screen doesn't constitute a movie.. i honestly wasn't sure who the protagonist was until the last 15 minutes..

speaking of Cronenberg, i finally saw Nightbreed.. i wish i had seen this when i was 11.... the dialogue was some of the worst i've ever heard--but there were some brilliant visuals.. it looks like they had a blast making this.. the makeup alone almost makes this movie worth watching.. sadly, like Krull, this movie attempts to create a fantastic new universe and falls flat.. completely craptastic movie representative of ugly/ridiculous 80s aesthetics and Clive Barker's incompetence as a director.. Barker has a good eye for capturing some truly horrifying visuals onto film, and he even has a knack for coming up with an outline for an engaging story.... but he just doesn't seem to have the chops to ever flesh it out when it comes down to details.. that said, Cronenberg's "Dr. Decker" character should've gotten his own movie..

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 2 Decker_left

funny how Shane Acker took this same visual and made cuddly-cute characters out of it in 9
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:00 am

I thought Zombieland was outstanding, but not as good as Shaun of the Dead, which is a masterpiece that I could watch over and over again and never tire of it.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:10 am

Nightbreed was actually the first horror movie I saw back in the day. Haven't seen it in FOREVER now.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:29 am

Had Shaun Of The Dead been like Scream with zombies, then no one would remember it.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next