The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+11
geezer9687
Donte77
undeadmonkey
transformers2
mfrendo
BanksIsDaFuture
silversurfer19
W
leestu
NSpan
Buscemi
15 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 5 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 am

Boosh - Can't say as surprisingly, I have never heard of that movie. May have to do some investigating.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 5 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by leestu Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:04 am

Haven't watched a lot of movies lately as I've been working my way through the special features of the special edition DVD of The Fellowship Of The Ring. It is amazing how far they went with things like intricate details on weapons and costumes that no viewer would ever have a chance of seeing but seems to be done more for the actors sake to fully immerse themselves in being from Middle Earth.

Anway what I have watched is Scoop. Probably the most disappointing Woody Allen movie in a long time. It was a predictable story with not much humour. If you are not a fan of Woody I wouldn't even bother watching this unless it's on TV on a night that you have absolutely nothing to do at all. 6.5/10 solely because I am a fan.

Much more worthwhile watching is Lantana. An Aussie movie with Anthony LaPaglia and Geoffrey Rush that swept the AFI awards in 2001(2?). On the surface it is about a missing person and the cop investigating it, but really the movie is about relationships, especially couples that have been together for a while, and in my opinion it has some smart, relevant things to say regarding them. Great acting from all, competent directing and a well constructed screenplay. 8.5/10
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 am

For some reason this weekend was boobie filled:

Eurotrip - 4/10 pretty funny actually, and that song is damned catchy (also, wtf matt damon), but just too cheesy

100 Girls - 6/10 boobies at EVERY turn, and in the end Larisa Oleynik and Katherine Heigl kiss... yet even so it still managed a smart, funny compare and contrast of the way men and women play mind games with eachother.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:01 am

I hated 100 Girls. I found it typical straight-to-video horndog trash. Sadly enough, the director of it is still making movies (such as Shoot 'Em Up and a planned remake of Outland).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:15 am

100 Girls - is that the movie where some guy has sex with a girl during a blackout and spends the rest of the movie trying to find her? I didn't know Katherine Heigl was in that.

I watched Ghostbusters today, pretty good not great though. Sigourney Weaver was freakin hot back in the 80s, 7/10
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:23 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I watched Ghostbusters today, pretty good not great though.
Underwhelmed by Ghostbusters AND Beetlejuice? you're soulless!
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 am

NSpan wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I watched Ghostbusters today, pretty good not great though.
Underwhelmed by Ghostbusters AND Beetlejuice? you're soulless!

Kids these days! [wink]

They don't know what the missed.... [sigh]
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:55 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:

I watched Ghostbusters today, pretty good not great though. Sigourney Weaver was freakin hot back in the 80s, 7/10

I'm speechless (And if you know me, that's pretty damn well impossible)
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:29 pm

I don't know, these 80s movies have been just blah for me. I can see why Ghostbusters was so popular when it came out, but Beetlejuice did absolutely did nothing for me.

Next up from netflix is Battle Royale, which should have more of an impact than those two. Let's hope...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:01 pm

If you don't like Battle Royale we may have to exclude you from our reindeer games...
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:06 pm

I do have to say, Ghostbusters has not aged well. The effects are terrible. I still love the movie, but I also saw it when I was a kid and watched the cartoon and had Ghostbuster action figures. If I were in the same boat as Banks, I might have thought the same thing.

I'd love to hear NSpan's detailed analysis of the many layers of Beetlejuice though. That sounds like a fantastic read.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:16 pm

geezer9687 wrote:I do have to say, Ghostbusters has not aged well. The effects are terrible. I still love the movie, but I also saw it when I was a kid and watched the cartoon and had Ghostbuster action figures. If I were in the same boat as Banks, I might have thought the same thing.

I'd love to hear NSpan's detailed analysis of the many layers of Beetlejuice though. That sounds like a fantastic read.

Maybe they should update the effects and repackage DVD/Blurays like they did with Star Wars. That'd be pretty cool. They could re-release it in theaters during some October.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Slimer and the Stay-Puft Man look better than 90% of today's CGI. I'd rather watch the effects of Ghostbusters than say, the effects of Spider-Man 2 (in which 95% of Spider-Man's appearances have a CGI double instead of an actor).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:32 pm

Tombstone (82/100): If you don't want to hear about how this film modified history, skip this post please. This was a pretty good western, but as a biopic (that's how I viewed it) on Wyatt Earp, it was a little too cut and dry for me. First off, there was a gang (with looser ties than shown) called the Cowboys and the Earps did get in a fight with them. The Earps were not liked by a lot of the town because they were seen as Yankees that abused their powers of authority for monetary gain and the Cowboys were liked by more of the town than shown because they had a lot of money to spend and spent it in the town. The murder of the sheriff was completely accidental, he said so on his deathbed (didn't die right away). No one is sure who fired the first shot at the O.K. Corral. Wyatt was actually brought up on charges for murder. The slant that history has taken on Earp is that he was 100% a great guy that was upholding the law, like the guy from Walking Tall.

In short, for me it was like making a Civil War film and saying the only cause was slavery. Or like making a biopic about George Washington and showing him chopping down a cherry tree. It's nice, it's simple, but its just not completely true. I actually would have liked a little more moral ambiguity in it myself.

Since I viewed it as a work of fiction, though, I gave it a pretty good grade.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 pm

Buscemi wrote:Slimer and the Stay-Puft Man look better than 90% of today's CGI. I'd rather watch the effects of Ghostbusters than say, the effects of Spider-Man 2 (in which 95% of Spider-Man's appearances have a CGI double instead of an actor).

Otherwise, it'd look like Adam West's Batman film.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:39 pm

For a much better adaptation, try 1946's "My Darling Clementine" directed by John Ford and starring Henry Fonda. (That or the original series Star Trek episode that had the Enterprise crew as the Clanton gang
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:56 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:100 Girls - is that the movie where some guy has sex with a girl during a blackout and spends the rest of the movie trying to find her? I didn't know Katherine Heigl was in that.

Yes, she is the queen of strip Foosball

Also, I still have not yet seen ghostbusters, so I will have to provide a similar un-nostalgic review soonish. I think its on hulu.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:22 am

W wrote:Tombstone (82/100): If you don't want to hear about how this film modified history, skip this post please. This was a pretty good western, but as a biopic (that's how I viewed it) on Wyatt Earp, it was a little too cut and dry for me. First off, there was a gang (with looser ties than shown) called the Cowboys and the Earps did get in a fight with them. The Earps were not liked by a lot of the town because they were seen as Yankees that abused their powers of authority for monetary gain and the Cowboys were liked by more of the town than shown because they had a lot of money to spend and spent it in the town. The murder of the sheriff was completely accidental, he said so on his deathbed (didn't die right away). No one is sure who fired the first shot at the O.K. Corral. Wyatt was actually brought up on charges for murder. The slant that history has taken on Earp is that he was 100% a great guy that was upholding the law, like the guy from Walking Tall.

In short, for me it was like making a Civil War film and saying the only cause was slavery. Or like making a biopic about George Washington and showing him chopping down a cherry tree. It's nice, it's simple, but its just not completely true. I actually would have liked a little more moral ambiguity in it myself.

If you don't want to read a pretentious response to this, skip this post please:

Spoiler:
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by W Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:15 am

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 5 IMG_2291
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:16 am

Bazinga!!!!!!!
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:17 am

woah. for a split second there, i thought my cat Splotchy grew a hitler 'stache

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 5 Splotchy
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5