The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

+17
Shrykespeare
geezer9687
leestu
Donte77
silversurfer19
becs
BarcaRulz
RonBurgundy
W
Keyser Soze
NSpan
numbersix_99
IPKI$$
mfrendo
transformers2
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
21 posters

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by Buscemi Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:23 am

I got her to watch it with me because I told her that word of mouth was good. Let's just say she didn't think the same thing that I did.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by leestu Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:51 pm

geezer9687 wrote:This is the largest group of Blair Witch fans ever assembled!

Count me in too. I included it in my 100 favourite movies list that I made a year or so ago and it still would be.

And yes Mfrendo, I would be interested in having it posted here and reading it. I hardly ever access my facebook anymore until I get a new (better) computer.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm

BWP is on my top 100 also. It was awesome. And just remember it was even better earliier when it was Ammityville Horror or Orson Welles War of the Worlds. And it was even better hundreds of years earlier when it was the christian bible. And it was even better when it was the Egyptian religion.

Portraying myth as fact is an essential part of the human psyche. The movies that attempt to be "real" are popular because they use the same superstitious beliefs that religion uses. People like to believe in the supernatural because reality is either very boring or very frightening. Horror movies like PA and BWP just use that emotion to scare people. Good for them.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:06 pm

So what you're basically saying here is that people are stupid Very Happy
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:13 am

mfrendo wrote:Although I wasn't a fan of Blair Witch (though I may have been if two of the smelliest goth people ever hadn't sat right next to me in the sold out theater...seriously my friend 5 seats down could smell them), I was mostly stating that ten years after it was released, someone else just did the same basic idea but in a house. And since it's been ten years, everyone is saying how novel it is.

You didn't sit next to two goth people. You sat next to Harry Knowles.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:30 pm

geezer9687 wrote:So what you're basically saying here is that people are stupid Very Happy
You need to read more Terry Goodkind.

the Wizard's First Rule:

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
—Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Therefore, Terry Goodkind must also be stupid and may just be spouting that as fact, even though most of it is false.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:10 pm

He writes fantasy novels, so... he actually doesn't claim ANY of it is fact. Still applies though.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:23 am

Well nevermind then.... Very Happy

The Stepfather - 5/10

Not quite as bad as you would think, but still very far from being good. Everyone is dull, I think that's what happens when your entire cast is comprised of TV actors. The studio was smart though to make sure that in 90% of Amber Heard's scenes, she was wearing as little as possible. The stepfather is not really threatening, he's more annoying and bi-polar and kills people for almost no reason. Stupid, stupid. And how does he get stabbed in the neck with a long shard of glass and continue fighting without bleeding or even noticing it?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Law Abiding Citizen - 8.5/10

Very very very good movie. Foxx and Butler are great and play wonderfully off each other. Towards the end, it get a little unbelievable but it's merely a blip in the grand scheme of things. I didn't expect it to be so gory though at times.

More Than A Game - 6/10

Pretty well done docu, it's def too long though. And it's 10x more interesting when they're focusing on LeBron than the other guys. That's who we came to see anyway...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:50 am

Saw 2 today:

Wild Things - 3/5 - Began strong, then got slow and went nowhere towards the end. It's not surprising given that they're turning 9 sentences into 100-min film, but they just added unnecessary shit to get it to feature length.

Whip It - 4.5/5 - Loved it! Which I wasn't expecting really. But it's a really fun, good movie to watch. Definitely rewatchable.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Man Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:16 am

Saw two kids movies recently:

Yesterday I saw Up, and thought it was pretty good. I thought the comedy parts were as humorous as other Pixar films. I was the only person seeing it in the second run theater, so perhaps with others laughing the comedy would have had more of an effect, but that was perhaps it's weak point for me (just didn't laugh enough). I did like the main character and loved the love story between him and his wife, but the villain and his pets also seemed like a weak choice for the antagonist. Fell in love with the kid as the movie went on, and was cheering for them by the end, which is a good sign for a kids movie. *** out of ****.

Today I saw Where the Wild Things Are. I loved the effects and the Wild Things costumes, and the soundtrack is amazing (in fact, I went out and bought it afterwards, which I've never done after seeing a movie) - All is Love is a fantastic song. It did perhaps drag in the middle a bit, although I'm not sure what I would have cut from it, but I did find myself pulled into the characters of the wild things, and certainly could relate my childhood to aspects of the film.Pretty darn good. *** to ***1/2 out of **** depending on my mood, the extra 1/2 would be for the effects and soundtrack.

J-Man
Juno MacGuff
Juno MacGuff

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 am

Brothers Bloom 5/10
Disappointing as I enjoyed Brick so much. The film passes along amusingly, although it's a little cartoonish at times. But the last act feels at odds, when the film gets serious and you keep expecting the trick to be revealed but it doesn't- this motly happens because some of the choices made by the character don't make sense unless it's a set-up, so the film ultimately doesn't make sense.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus 6/10
Well, at least it's better than Tideland and Brothers Grimm. It's commendable mostly for its premise: we're too caught up on our superficial lives to explore the wonders of imagination. It's a nice fairy tale that comes loose in the last act. Also Ledger isn't great, a little too theatrical, so it's a shame to see this as his final role. Still, for fans of Gilliam it's worth checking out, just for the Imaginarium scenes. Oh, and Tom Waits plays a great The Devil.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:49 am

numbersix_99 wrote:The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus 6/10
Well, at least it's better than Tideland and Brothers Grimm. It's commendable mostly for its premise: we're too caught up on our superficial lives to explore the wonders of imagination. It's a nice fairy tale that comes loose in the last act. Also Ledger isn't great, a little too theatrical, so it's a shame to see this as his final role. Still, for fans of Gilliam it's worth checking out, just for the Imaginarium scenes. Oh, and Tom Waits plays a great The Devil.

I'm fairly certain that shryke won't let you in any leagues next year if you don't give him a review of this. :) Just kidding... maybe.

PS: As soon as humanly possible...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 am

Law Abiding Citizen ***/****

This was a very well-made thriller of the Saw/Death Wish/Taken variety. It also brings up some ideas and points about the judicial system (such as "is the law always correct" and "can you become your own law if the law fails you"). Also, I liked the cinematography and art direction of the film.

Meanwhile, how did you view the heroes and the villains of the film? I saw it as...

Spoiler:
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18