The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 31 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:13 am

I'll be interested also to see what you have to say. I watched it last year and barely made it through.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 31 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by Donte77 Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:09 am

Wow not good reviews. LOL I will have a report next week.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:05 am

I saw Mickey Mouse's Philharmagic at Disney today. It was actually pretty cool. It's a 3D short film with a bunch of songs from different Disney films.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:13 am

We never got around to watching that when we went. We spent far too long waiting in a queue for the Toy Story ride....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:17 am

We fastpassed Buzz Lightyear. There's practically no one there and most rides are 5-15 minutes too. Smile
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:21 am

There's a Toy Story ride...? Which park is that in?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 pm

The Toy Story ride is different to the Buzz Lightyear ride, although a similar style of ride in that they are both 4D shooting games. And strangely enough the Buzz ride is about 10-15mins, while The Toy Story ride was an hour and a half wait, with no fastpasses left!!!

The Toy Story ride is in the Disney Hollywood Studios park (formerly MGM Studios), Banks. The Buzz ride is in Disney World.

Anyway, watched Half Nelson and Walk Hard tonight. Half Nelson was hard hitting with some great performances and strong direction. I'm interested to see more of Ryan Fleck's work now. 7.5/10

Dewey Cox was much better than I anticipated. I actually really enjoyed it and there were some nice cameos in there too. Did drag a little at the end though. A shame it didn't succeed at the box office, as this was one of Apatow's better efforts. 7/10
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:32 pm

Oooooh, they're in LA. I've only been to DisneyLAND, in Orlando. Yet another thing to do whenever I make my way to Hollywood.

Right now, I'm watching Howard The Duck. How can people not like this, this is funny as hell. And I didn't know Tim Robbins was in this. Plus Leah Thompson was hot back then, esp in her rock get-up. Should've made a sequel...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:40 pm

No Disney World is in Orlando, and that is the one we visited. Never been to the LA one. I don;t know how new the rides are, but I guess they must be fairly new going by how busy it was.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:43 pm

I just finished Sideways. I liked the character study of 2 hard to like people but the movie wandered. Did it know where it was going, or was that on purpose because the characters didn't know where they were going? The ending felt like a tacked on semi-positive ending and earlier on it was someone's love affair with wine filmed. The slow motion close ups of wine being swished around in a glass might have been arty but to me it just got in the way. 6/10 Yet this won golden globes and Oscar nominations?!?

Surfer: Did you watch Walk Hard on DVD and get to see the full versions of all the songs? They were such well written parodies and were the stars of the movie in my mind. It's a great movie that deserved better.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:50 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:No Disney World is in Orlando, and that is the one we visited. Never been to the LA one. I don;t know how new the rides are, but I guess they must be fairly new going by how busy it was.

Yeah I get those two confused all the time. So MGM was the park where The Tower of Terror was right?

The Toy Story must be new-ish, I went in the late 90s and I don't remember hearing anything about it.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:51 pm

The way that Sony handled Walk Hard was criminal. It should have been the big movie of Christmas 2007.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:13 am

In your opinion what did they do wrong Buscemi? Just lack of advertising or bad release platform or something else entirely? I just blamed audiences not getting the hyperbolic satire.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:24 am

These little reasons:

1.They released it in a crowded Christmas season against Sweeney Todd and Alvin and The Chipmunks (two more music-oriented films) along with I Am Legend, National Treasure 2 and Juno. Had they moved the film up even two weeks, it could have done a $20-30 million opening and had great legs in the process.

2.The studio didn't give the film much of an ad campaign. They gave Superbad a huge ad campaign but the ad campaign for Walk Hard seemed very low-key. This was probably because Sony was releasing The Waterhorse four days later and that was a family film.

and 3.The studio seemed to give up on it when the reviews weren't as good as Superbad or Knocked Up. This was probably due to the fact that the film was different than those two but Sony seemed to say "fuck it" and not give it the push that it deserved. Therefore, the film died in theatres and the international release was very small (grosses were non-existant in the foreign countries).

Also, I blame Sony for not putting the film up for Oscar consideration. John C. Reilly deserved an Academy Award nomination and so did the title song (and maybe Let's Duet as well).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:27 am

I personally feel the trailer didn't do the movie justice. The only reason I had for watching the movie was that is was praised so highly on here. From the trailer I had never intended to watch it. It just didn't emphasise the spoof that it was. I also think audiences were expecting another Superbad or Knocked Up, which it wasn't like at all. And also leestu, I didn't watch the dvd, it was on sky. The songs were most definitely some of the best parts of the movie though.

And Boussh, I don't think John C. Reilly was even close to being good enough for Oscar consideration. Acting was certainly not the strongest part of this movie.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:30 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:No Disney World is in Orlando, and that is the one we visited. Never been to the LA one. I don;t know how new the rides are, but I guess they must be fairly new going by how busy it was.

Yeah I get those two confused all the time. So MGM was the park where The Tower of Terror was right?

The Toy Story must be new-ish, I went in the late 90s and I don't remember hearing anything about it.

Yes, you are correct. And I think it takes Disney a few years to get the rides in place. There was only just a new Lilo and Stitch ride and Monsters Inc show. while there were no rides for Cars or Wall-E.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:30 am

They nominated Johnny Depp for playing an emo and George Clooney for playing a mid-range role (Michael Clayton wasn't THAT great of a film). John C. Reilly outacted both of them.

I also hate that the Academy snubbed Mathieu Amalric that same year.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:45 am

Mathieu Amalric I can understand. He gave a wonderfully understated performance and it's a shame it wasn't recognised by the Academy. And just because the Academy has awarded nominations for average performances doesn't mean it should always do so. It should always be striving to find the standout performances in acting that year, ones which will be remembered, and John C. Reilly's was certainly not that.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:51 am

But it was far more deserving than Johnny Depp playing the emo's perception of Johnny Depp that year.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:55 am

That is debatable. I personally preferred Depp's performance, but neither were anything special. I'm sure there were much more worthy performances which did miss out, but then that could be said with every award.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:36 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:

Yes, you are correct. And I think it takes Disney a few years to get the rides in place. There was only just a new Lilo and Stitch ride and Monsters Inc show. while there were no rides for Cars or Wall-E.

There's practically no Wall-E ANYTHING (except the actual DVD). The only Pixar stuff they have a lot of are Cars and Toy Story.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 am

The reason why you never see any Wall-E items is for the same reason why you never see any Up items: the big distributors simply don't want to drop the Cars licenses.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:06 am

Yeah, the cars toys etc were everywhere. I did find a large sample of Wall-E goods in Disney Hollywood Studios near the Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground, though. And I guess there was nothing for Up as it was literally only just being released when we visited. They had a few toys of Dug the dog though.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:37 am

Last time I was there, Wall-E was out for 6 months (I was there during the first of the year). There were 4 Wall-E toys at a gift shop in Downtown Disney. That was it.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:48 pm

leestu wrote:I just finished Sideways. I liked the character study of 2 hard to like people but the movie wandered. Did it know where it was going, or was that on purpose because the characters didn't know where they were going?

Well, yeah, that's why it's called Sideways. Because it's about guys who don't grow up... just sideways.

The ending felt like a tacked on semi-positive ending and earlier on it was someone's love affair with wine filmed. The slow motion close ups of wine being swished around in a glass might have been arty but to me it just got in the way. 6/10 Yet this won golden globes and Oscar nominations?!?

I felt the same when I first watched it, but when I revisited it I loved it. There's not too much of the slo-mo wine shots (and some of them are to signal drunkenness) and the ending worked for me in that a more downbeat ending would have been a little too glum. Definitely think it deserved awards, Giamatti was amazing.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next