The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 17 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by transformers2 Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 am

Ugh i hate Weeds. I just dont find it amusing.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 17 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:58 am

Weeds is a great show, but I haven't seen any of it since Season 2. They got rid of some of the best people on there. I was disappointed. Maybe I'll try and catch up.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:01 am

Weeds is fantastic, but in seasons 3 and 4 it does lose the plot a little bit. Mind you, i'm not talking about quality-wise, it's just some really outlandish shit starts to happen.

Season 5 so far is fucking fantastic though. Probably my favorite season since the first one. Hopefully it stays this good.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:04 am

transformers2 wrote:Ugh i hate Weeds. I just dont find it amusing.

Trannie - I'm not surprised you don't like it. It's more written for folks my age than it is for folks your age. It's one of the few shows that I've seen where the adults are actually intelligent, and the kids are f'n idiots. Usually, in most TV comedies, it's the other way around.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 am

I've only seen the first season. I liked it, but I feel that it fails to really show what the drug trade is really like (or even good subplots with the suppliers, in my opinion the best characters). Instead it's just some widow who fails to fit into suburbia and never will because she's not a stuck-up bitch.

Also, I get the idea that they abandoned the story arc with Quinn. I really wanted to see that develop into a major story about the rivalry of the two families and how they could eventually become one.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:16 pm

Buscemi wrote:I've only seen the first season. I liked it, but I feel that it fails to really show what the drug trade is really like (or even good subplots with the suppliers, in my opinion the best characters). .

So, at 18 years old, you know what the drug trade is "really like"? Damn, and I thought I knew it all when I was your age (I seem to have forgotten most of it by now)
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, even five-year olds could tell you it's not like that (or at least the ones who saw Scarface). The show seems to make it all look like a bowl of cherries rather than the world of bloodshed and addiction that we see in real life.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:54 pm

Life in suburbia is a whole lot different different than it is in the big city. Having lived in both, I can tell you that it's probably a lot closer to Weeds than it is to Scarface especially when it's just pot that we're discussing.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:14 pm

I find it Ironic that both of you are discussing something you don't even know the full story behind. You've both only seen season 1, watch more and both your points will come into play.

The WHOLE POINT is that it is nice and rosy in the beginning.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:16 pm

Barca,

And from my own personal experience, that's exactly how it began.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I have a feeling you're generalizing things like there's only one perspective. The one thing you have to remember is A TV show isn't real... If you think that a suburban woman selling pot is the general reality of the whole thing, then you're kidding yourself. The only way to know what the drug trade is really like is to be a part of it yourself (either working with or fighting against it). This is entertainment (a comedy even) and should probably not be taken for fact.

Watch a documentary (or read a book) if you want to learn more.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 pm

W- I feel I have a little better perspective as something you said about being a part of it yourself rings true for me, but I will not divulge which part
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:16 pm

Being a child of the 60's and a product of the 70's, I'm sure you're right. But the drug trade in, say, New Mexico is different than the drug trade in New York or Miami and the drug trade for a member of a gang is different than a suburban woman. That's what I meant by generalization.

You should read the chapter in "Freakonomics" called "Why Drug Dealers Still Live with Their Mothers".
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Product of the 70's. Damn, now I've just been reduced to being a product. Crying or Very sad
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:56 pm

meant that you grew up in the 70's. Being born in the 60's and growing up in the 70's is much better than being born in the 80's and growing up in the 90's. At least I hope so...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Totally understood what you meant. Was just my poor attempt at making a humorous statement. Guess when you have to explain it, it just wasn't that funny
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
transformers2 wrote:Ugh i hate Weeds. I just dont find it amusing.

Trannie - I'm not surprised you don't like it. It's more written for folks my age than it is for folks your age. It's one of the few shows that I've seen where the adults are actually intelligent, and the kids are f'n idiots. Usually, in most TV comedies, it's the other way around.

That is proably true. A lot of my friends love it though.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:20 pm

W wrote:meant that you grew up in the 70's. Being born in the 60's and growing up in the 70's is much better than being born in the 80's and growing up in the 90's. At least I hope so...

It is, but the best is being born in the 70's and growing up in the 80's. Trust me, I tried all 3. LOL
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:08 am

Hey, I grew up in the 90s. Best decade ever.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:11 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Hey, I grew up in the 90s. Best decade ever.

If you're just comparing it to this one, then yes, it was (I would probably rank it ahead of the 70's too)
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:15 am

Being able to watch (the real) Zep live and see Star Wars in the theater or Limp Bizkit and Titanic? That's a hard one...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:17 am

W, I'll give you the seeing Star Wars in the theater was amazing, but was never really old enough in the 70's to see Zep live. Didn't get to my first concert until '78, and by then Zep wasn't coming around any more. Had tickets to see them in Montreal in '80, but well, that never happened.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:37 am

W wrote:

You should read the chapter in "Freakonomics" called "Why Drug Dealers Still Live with Their Mothers".

What's the answer? I want to know why dealersdo still live with their mothers.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:49 am

Because they spend so much money on drugs and other shit that they can't pay the bills. Therefore they get evicted and must move in with their mothers so they can get back on their feet and do it all over again.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:39 am

Buscemi wrote:Because they spend so much money on drugs and other shit that they can't pay the bills. Therefore they get evicted and must move in with their mothers so they can get back on their feet and do it all over again.

Nope... They live with their moms because
Spoiler:

There's also a chapter showing that many sumo matches are rigged, how to spot a crappy teacher even when their students look smart on tests, does your name actually have an outcome in your future, and others I can't think of at the moment (its been a couple of years). Read it. It will be the best economics book you've ever read :)
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next