The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 30 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by geezer9687 Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:56 am

If there's one thing I know about Boush, he knows more about how to make a movie than anyone who's ever actually made a movie Rolling Eyes
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 30 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:59 am

So, just saw The Boondock Saints for the first, and most definitely last time. Let me re-phrase. I was forced to sit through that overrated piece of garbage because when i told this kid that i'd never seen it, he grabbed the dvd and put it on. It was one of those, "WHAT? You haven't seen-?" moments, that I live for. But only when I'm on the other side. Anytime someone has randomly blessed me with a forced veiwing of a movie they worship, i end up hating it to no extent. I mean, okay. It's a decent enough story, although it's been done much much better. The acting is alright, but nothing great. There are some pretty cool directorial touches thrown in. But come on! No way in hell this is a must-see by any means. It's just a crappy, poorly-made, low-quality, vanity piece with some cool parts. Like Little Man or Playing God. Fuck The Boondock Saints.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 am

IPKI$$ wrote:It's just a crappy, poorly-made, low-quality, vanity piece with some cool parts.

Take the same sentence but get rid of some cool parts and you get how I feel about Southland Tales.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:38 am

IPKI$$ wrote:So, just saw The Boondock Saints for the first, and most definitely last time. Let me re-phrase. I was forced to sit through that overrated piece of garbage because when i told this kid that i'd never seen it, he grabbed the dvd and put it on. It was one of those, "WHAT? You haven't seen-?" moments, that I live for. But only when I'm on the other side. Anytime someone has randomly blessed me with a forced veiwing of a movie they worship, i end up hating it to no extent. I mean, okay. It's a decent enough story, although it's been done much much better. The acting is alright, but nothing great. There are some pretty cool directorial touches thrown in. But come on! No way in hell this is a must-see by any means. It's just a crappy, poorly-made, low-quality, vanity piece with some cool parts. Like Little Man or Playing God. Fuck The Boondock Saints.

Dammit I just bought this one. Only cost me $10 but still... Let's hope our admiration of Southland Tales is the only case of our similar tastes.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:44 am

Well Surfer, on the other end of the spectrum, Boondock Saints is in my top 5 of all time. I'm sure you will fall somewhere in the middle Smile
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:55 am

I as well loved The Boondock Saints it is in my top 10 of all time. I also agree with geez Surfer i think you will be in the middle.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 am

Well I've got a monster load of movies to get through at the moment but I'll let you guys know how it stands for me when I do get to watch it.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 am

The two leads are the best part...They're very likable. Other than that Bad Lieutenant is a much better version of pretty much the same thing.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:45 am

IPKI$$ wrote:So, just saw The Boondock Saints for the first, and most definitely last time. Let me re-phrase. I was forced to sit through that overrated piece of garbage because when i told this kid that i'd never seen it, he grabbed the dvd and put it on. It was one of those, "WHAT? You haven't seen-?" moments, that I live for. But only when I'm on the other side. Anytime someone has randomly blessed me with a forced veiwing of a movie they worship, i end up hating it to no extent. I mean, okay. It's a decent enough story, although it's been done much much better. The acting is alright, but nothing great. There are some pretty cool directorial touches thrown in. But come on! No way in hell this is a must-see by any means. It's just a crappy, poorly-made, low-quality, vanity piece with some cool parts. Like Little Man or Playing God. Fuck The Boondock Saints.
agreed!
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:07 am

Watched Armageddon this morning, really liked it. Although it looks like he's been using the same shots for decades now, some of them were frame for frame in Transformers. 8/10 anyway
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:24 am

Recently on our honeymoon we visited Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida. We went on the movie tour which demonstrated how to make a Michael Bay action movie. It was hilarious watching this scene unfold and knowing, having seen the same scenes filmed shot for shot repeatedly, exaclty how the action would unfold. The acting of the audience participants matched pretty much all Bay's actors too.

Anyway, last night we watched Sex And The City. It was part of an agreement which I don;t have to undertake often, in which I watched what the OH wanted so I could watch Live Free Or Die Hard. It was pretty much what i expected. Was far too long though, and the interesting thing was that the characters kind of became the antithesis of what they set out to be in the series. Rather than strong independent women they were kinda needy and really dependent on their men. 5/10

We did both enjoy Live Free Or Die Hard though. The OH was pleasantly surprised considering she wasn't a fan of the original (shocking I know...). Quite a clever story though and kept the momentum up. Justin Long was a good companion too for Willis. 7.5/10

Also watched Un Secret over the weekend. It was very good. Good acting all round and an interesting if prather sad story. Nice the way the secret is unveiled, if a little predictable. Beautifully shot. 7.5/10

Finally, watched Youth Without Youth too. Obviously a very personal tale from Copolla. Flawless acting from Tim Roth, and though an interesting story it kinda dragged a bit and I got lost countless times. Still, not a bad movie. 6.5/10
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:45 am

has anyone seen Tetro yet?

saw it tonight.. i can't say i really cared for it--but i don't have much criticism to offer either.. it was a bit of a mess, but it was undeniably SOMETHING.. not to be too vague, but that's how i felt..

there were strokes of genius.. it was epic as hell--cinematically reminiscent of Fellini, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, and several other brilliant directors of yesteryear--but, at once, equally in debt to the stage.. the entire affair was a spectacle and an experience to remember..

on the other hand, there were one or two hamfisted moments, the pacing was incredibly off-putting (a problem that would be mitigated by multiple viewings--were i planning on viewing this movie multiple times), and there were entire scenes that would work in any live medium (theater, opera, etc.) but didn't quite translate to film.. this last complaint is tough to make because most of these scenes were intended to be seen as such--and, no, i'm not talking about the scenes that were explicitly filmed and choreographed as stage-scenes.. the whole project is essentially a cinematic opera, it's just that not every scene works quite as well as intended..

anyway, this movie is a must-see simply for amazing performances from all the leads and, more importantly, an unforgettable presentation.. despite all that, i was never completely immersed in the story and, when it (finally) ended, i wasn't exactly compelled to stick around for the credits.. for the record, Kate (the gf) loved it

and now i'm going to watch Krull for the first time
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 am

Silverado is my favourite western ever.

Watched The Mist and loved it. But no surprise there; you can't go wrong with King, horror & Darabont. I wonder if they had to fight to get the ending they got? 8.5/10
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 am

How strange, forgot to mention I watched The Mist over the weekend too. Did you watch it on Sky, leestu? If so NZ and Australia must get the same movies at the same time. I also was very pleasantly surprised by this. Some very strong performances and highly engrossing. I agree, there must have been some struggles though to get the ending like that. I was crushed when it unfolded how it did. Thank god Hollywood doesn't over rule all endings. 8/10
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:23 am

No, I've had the DVD in my collection for a while, so it's just a coincidence. Although it wouldn't surprise me if our cable movie channels showed the same movies in a similar time frame. I buy DVDs faster than I can watch them (another curse of kids) so I can usually find something to watch that fits the mood at the time.
I forgot to mention that The Mist reminded me of a H P Lovecraft story. Not a specific story, just his mythos (is that the right word? If not then 'type' will do.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:48 am

leestu wrote:I forgot to mention that The Mist reminded me of a H P Lovecraft story. Not a specific story, just his mythos (is that the right word? If not then 'type' will do.
i see it. if Cthulhu walked by in the background during Act 3, i wouldn't have been surprised..

until the end, i actually had The Mist pegged as a glorified made-for-TV film with some of the worst performances i've seen.................. but once the credits rolled and the theater lights came up, i thought the movie had completely redeemed itself.. and i'm a sucker for Thomas Jane
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:52 pm

I think the characterisation really elevates The Mist beyond a made-for-TV or any monster-flick. I'm not a fan of King but at least he knows that horror stories are as much about people as they are about shocks or gore. I loved the religious fanatic who gradually turns people, or even the store jnr manager who is one of the few to show sense. I really enjoyed The Mist, including the whiff of politics at the end. My only problem is the poor CGI- Darabont should have played around more with atmospheric lighting to mask it.

NSpan, I'm only not interested in Tetro as I didn't particularly like the rambling Youth Without Youth. Have you seen it?
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:06 pm

There is a director's cut of The Mist on the Special Edition DVD. The main difference of the two cuts is that the director's cut is in black and white. This probably does hide some of the film's CGI (the CGI was probably at the studio's insistance).

As for the ending, Stephen King actually approved the the film's ending without any problems at all. He simply read the new ending, gave his input and they shot it.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 pm

I just finished Season 2 Disc 1 Of Flight Of The Conchords and i love this show so much. It is so brillant. The two episodes that stood out where The Tough Bretts and Love Is A Weapon Of Choice.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:32 pm

I think The Mist is the only movie that incites conversation for pages each time it's mentioned. LOL
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:17 pm

Good to know I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Do any of you think that you would have liked it more had you not seen the so-called "better versions?" Because I've never heard of them.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:33 am

numbersix_99 wrote:NSpan, I'm only not interested in Tetro as I didn't particularly like the rambling Youth Without Youth. Have you seen it?
i haven't. plan to, though. keep in mind that YWY is an adaptation, while Tetro is an original work. that in itself might provide enough of a difference in approach and style for your tastes
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 pm

I think the reason The Mist is so often discussed is the ending. How many Hollywood horror movies can you think of with an ending that bleak?! I haven't read the story in probably 16 years so I don't remember how much I liked it but the movie was pretty good (except for the CGI which was terrible and should have been fixed).

Got Incident at Loch Ness from netflix today so I will let you know what I thought of it later.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:00 am

I absolutely despised Incident at Loch Ness, and I'm a Herzog fan. Mockumentary is the laziest form of comedy, using a gimmick to mask the cliched script and anemic plot. It'll be interesting to see what you make of it, Donte.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next