The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

+19
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
BarcaRulz
mfrendo
geezer9687
JackO
becs
undeadmonkey
transformers2
Donte77
Keyser Soze
W
Buscemi
leestu
silversurfer19
IPKI$$
packpaljs
BanksIsDaFuture
NSpan
23 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 14 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by transformers2 Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:36 am

what i didnt like about ending was Jane's reactions i just felt the ending tried to hard to be shocking.

btw i had the displesaure of watching Fool's Gold today awful movie. 3/10
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2 - Page 14 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" PART 2

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:59 am

I liked the ending of the movie better. King's original story was too inconclusive, but what Darabont did was add a political dimension (the government only saves the day when it's too late for the citizens on the ground) which was mighty bleak. I liked Jane's reaction. It's not what we're used to, but it's more realistic than the kind of reactions we see in Hollywood.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:55 am

numbersix_99 wrote:what Darabont did was add a political dimension (the government only saves the day when it's too late for the citizens on the ground)
funny, i've never seen it that way.. i just figured that Darabont wanted to come up with the most tragic outcome possible (from the protagonists' perspectives) and throw it on screen
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:02 am

NSpan wrote:
numbersix_99 wrote:what Darabont did was add a political dimension (the government only saves the day when it's too late for the citizens on the ground)
funny, i've never seen it that way.. i just figured that Darabont wanted to come up with the most tragic outcome possible (from the protagonists' perspectives) and throw it on screen

Maybe I'm looking too much into it but there were some references to Iraq, not to mention the 2 military guys in the supermarket who mention that it was possibly a local military experiment that set the mist off- it's hard not to see the allusions to Iraq and New Orleans when Katrina struck.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:29 am

I don't know, that seems like reaching to me Six. I mean, in most movies, the cops show up only after everything has happened.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:45 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I don't know, that seems like reaching to me Six. I mean, in most movies, the cops show up only after everything has happened.

Umm... Cops don't usually have the benefit of precogs like in Minority Report.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:03 am

Take the movie I watched today (Obsessed), the cops only showed up after Beyonce and Ali Larter had finished fighting, even though they knew Ali Larter was there like 20 minutes earlier.

Having the cops save the day is not exciting, that's what the protag is for.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:06 am

That's what happens when you let your father be executive producer. Nothing remotely interesting happens, everything is by the book and cliched and your kid (who is usually the lead) is there solely to be Little Miss Perfect and nothing else.

That is also the strategy for Jessica Simpson's DTV vehicles produced by her father.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I don't know, that seems like reaching to me Six. I mean, in most movies, the cops show up only after everything has happened.

True, but in the case of The Mist it's the government (military) fault in the first place, so it's a little more applicable than the cops turning up at the end.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:23 pm

I thought that 'The Mist' was saved by the Darabont ending as well, but it's a mean-spirited film. Cheesy special effects didn't help it either.

Great insight numbersix -- I reduced it to a
Spoiler:
but you've given me another way of looking at it.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 am

A_Roode wrote:I thought that 'The Mist' was saved by the Darabont ending as well, but it's a mean-spirited film. Cheesy special effects didn't help it either.

My big disappointment with the film is the effects. If the budget was low Darabont should have made more use of atmospherics (eg make it darker!) to hide the poor CGI. Apart from that I liked the film, the lunatic religous character was brilliantly portrayed, and the scenario probably frighteningly believable.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:43 am

I imagine that the Weinsteins forced the CGI into the film, so they could promote the film to teen audiences.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Rented "Cadillac Records" (9/10): Loved it for the most part. 75% of the film was practically flawless, then they introduced Beyonce. I won't say that she was horrible, but as soon as Etta James comes in the slow the film down to a standstill and shoot what are basically three entire music videos. Plus they completely destroy the chemistry that Wright and Brody had when they did that because they wanted to capitalize on Beyonce's stardom.

Other than that, great. I like Adrian Brody as a historical figure. He just seems like someone from the early to mid 1900's. Jeffrey Wright was great as Muddy. What I really wanted to see (and the reason I chose this over other films I missed last year) was Mos Def as Chuck Berry. Didn't dissapoint except that there wasn't enough Berry. Howlin' Wolf and Walter were portrayed well (from what I know, which isn't much) as well.

I think Cedric the Entertainer is hilarious and I laughed my ass off when he said
Spoiler:
I didn't want to ruin the laugh for anyone.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:47 pm

I watched Cassandra's Dream last night. Woody is still one of my favourite directors. I liked this quite a bit. I don't know if it was intended or not but I saw it as a response to the Guy Ritchie type of movie. Murders and major crime are not easy things to do and DO come with consequences. I loved the questions that this movie posed. How far should loyalties to family go? At one stage I started to find the movie a little bit painful & awkward and was impatient for the next bit to happen, but I realised that at the time I was feeling this that would have been how the characters were feeling. I'm sure this was a deliberate ploy by the director so in my mind "well done Woody".
Spoiler:

I have also recently watched Lost Highway, Babel & Imaginationland. All good stuff. I liked Imaginationland more than Bigger, Longer, Uncut!
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:05 pm

I found Cassandra's Dream way better than Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Vicky Cristina Barcelona was boring and only got attention because of the rumored sex scenes between Johansson and Cruz (which were nothing more than rumors). Cassandra's Dream was actually interesting because it was Allen doing something different. In fact, why does everyone seem to hate it when he does something different? People hated his turns at Bergman-esque drama (September, Another Woman). People hated his turn at World War II drama (Shadows and Fog). And people hated his attempt at a thriller (this film). However, everyone loves it if he does yet another romance or another New York film.

Also, it seems more people complain about Cassandra's Dream than his brief attempts at pandering to teen audiences earlier in the decade (it's hard to forgive those castings of Elizabeth Berekley in The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion, Tiffani Thiessen in Hollywood Ending and Jason Biggs in American Allen, err, Anything Else).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 pm

I think that's a slightly unfair assessment of people's reactions to Woody Allen films. I would call Match Point a thriller, and that got great reviews and was his biggest success in a long time. I haven't seen Cassandra's Dream, so I can't comment.

The problem with his Bergman-esque dramas is that they feel far to derivative, and lack the power of Bergman's direction. Another Woman was the best, but Interiors was a drag. Still, Crimes and Misdemeanours was the best mesh of Woody and Bergman and that's considered one of his best.

Shadows and Fog got mixed reviews because it wasn't a great movie. It had a very basic metaphor that ran through the entire film and was a little too obvious.

I agree about some poor casting decisions in the past, though. I wonder are they pushed upon him in attempt to appeal to a younger audience.

As for Vicky Cristina Barcelona, I think it was visually one of Woody's most different films, very warm and rich. But I doubt people liked it for a rumoured scene that didn't appear- surely they'd just feel duped otherwise. I think the film had a sort of honest about human relationships and complications, and about our search for what we want to do. Like Lost in Translation, but with substance.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:02 pm

The Hangover - 7/10 It was pretty funny, but i didnt laugh the whole movie, like everyone told me i would. I think my favorite line was 'I find your language offensive'

The Proposal - 9/10 Yes, I thought it was funnier than The Hangover. There were a few parts that i was laughing so hard that my sides were hurting. My favorite part was the indian dance in the forest. I havent laughed that hard in a movie in a long time. Betty White was hilarious too and damn Sandra looks good for 43 or am I the only one that thinks so? Although, I might be biased because I've been in love with Sandra Bullock since seeing Speed.

Easy Virtue - 5/10 I love period pieces, but i think the script needed more work. There was a lot of stuff that didnt make sense. The characters were contradictory in some scenes, which was really confusing. Not a horrible waste of time, but i definitely wouldnt see it again.

and i'll be going to see Transformers 2 in Imax sunday. Even though with all the negative feedback, im starting to look forward to it. Up till now, I hadnt actually been anticipating it. I liked the first one, but i didnt think it was great by any means. So if this one is at least as entertaining as the first, ill be satisfied.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:01 am

undeadmonkey wrote: and damn Sandra looks good for 43 or am I the only one that thinks so?

Nope, you're not. There's at least two more that do, me and Jesse James.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 am

Count me in for 3 Sandra is smokin'
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:12 am

W wrote:Rented "Cadillac Records" (9/10): Loved it for the most part. 75% of the film was practically flawless, then they introduced Beyonce. I won't say that she was horrible, but as soon as Etta James comes in the slow the film down to a standstill and shoot what are basically three entire music videos. Plus they completely destroy the chemistry that Wright and Brody had when they did that because they wanted to capitalize on Beyonce's stardom.

Other than that, great. I like Adrian Brody as a historical figure. He just seems like someone from the early to mid 1900's. Jeffrey Wright was great as Muddy. What I really wanted to see (and the reason I chose this over other films I missed last year) was Mos Def as Chuck Berry. Didn't dissapoint except that there wasn't enough Berry. Howlin' Wolf and Walter were portrayed well (from what I know, which isn't much) as well.

I think Cedric the Entertainer is hilarious and I laughed my ass off when he said
Spoiler:
I didn't want to ruin the laugh for anyone.

Glad to see someone discover a great overlooked movie from last year.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:13 am

And yes, Sandra Bullock looked great in all the promo's for The Proposal, but she looked awful and old at the MTV Awards.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Requiem For A Dream 8/10

I would have proably given it a 9/10 but it was a little much at times but clearly that's what was intended. A shocking,heartbreaking story of drug use. Great Performances all around and a very important film to watch.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:23 am

Yeah, that's about right...it's a great film, but a terrible movie.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:24 pm

I saw a screening of 'Jaws' last night on the big screen. Awesome and the crowd was having a lot of fun with it! Next week their showing 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' -- I can hardly wait! Very Happy
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by W Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 am

Defiance 6.5/10: I expected better, but it was ok. I usually love films like this but I just didn't for some reason.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next