The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club' <------START HERE

5 posters

Go down

Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club'  <------START HERE Empty Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club' <------START HERE

Post by NSpan Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 am

Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club'  <------START HERE Movieclub

Last Updated: April 27th, 2009

Welcome to Movie Club, where classic films duke it out for your full attention. This is the place where we sit down every two weeks and watch all those old movies that you usually just pretend to have already seen (think: Lawrence of Arabia or Casablanca). Much like that nerdy book club that you used to make fun of--but secretly wanted to join--we're going to collectively vote on each movie we'll watch next. This thread will be periodically expanded with basic information about the club. But, ultimately, it'll serve as an archive of the movies we've discussed in the past and a calendar of upcoming films.

Keep in mind, it's never too early (or too late!) to voice your response to these movies.. Once the thread is up, go nuts! The "due date" is more of a guideline to give us the illusion of structure and organization... Ideally, we'll all be on the same page, but the top priority is to encourage people to actually sit down and watch these movies and respond to them.. So never feel like you're watching a movie "too early" or "too late".. Just watch it! ...And come back here when you're done..

The "recommended double feature" is an optional movie paired up with each of our picks that will ideally enhance your viewing experience.. These movies are usually related to the official pick by means of common directors, writers, stars, or even themes.. You might also see remakes and/or sequels in this slot.. From my experience, discussion of any given film comes a lot easier when we have something to compare and contrast it with.. The "double feature" idea also caters to our OCD friends
(the kind who noticed that i began and ended that last sentence with prepositions) who are constantly ahead of schedule.. these secondary movies should keep 'em busy while the rest of us catch up.. Wink

The Calendar

Movie #1 - Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974) - Directed by Martin Scorsese
Due Date: Monday March 30th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Mean Streets (1973)

Movie #2 - Amadeus (1984) - Directed by Milos Forman
Due Date: Monday April 13th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Equus (1977)

Movie #3 - Alice (1990) - Directed by Woody Allen
Due Date: Monday April 27th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Juliet of the Spirits (1965)

Movie #4 - The 400 Blows (1959) - Directed by Francois Truffaut
Due Date: Monday May 11th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Breathless (1960)

Movie #5 - Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) - Directed by Sam Peckinpah
Due Date: Monday May 25th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: The Wild Bunch (1969)

Movie #6 - Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - Directed by David Lean
Due Date: Monday June 8th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Doctor Zhivago (1965)

Movie #7 - The Third Man (1949) - Directed by Carol Reed
Due Date: Monday June 22nd, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Touch of Evil (1958)

Movie #8 - Aquirre: The Wrath of God (1972) - Directed by Werner Herzog
Due Date: Monday July 6th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Apocalypse Now (1979)

Movie #9 - Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987) - Directed by Louis Malle
Due Date: Monday July 20th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Empire of the Sun (1987)

Movie #10 - Metropolis (1927) - Directed by Fritz Lang
Due Date: Monday August 3rd, 2009

Recommended double-feature: M (1931)

Movie #11 - 12 Angry Men (1957) - Directed by Sidney Lumet
Due Date: Monday August 17th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: The Pawnbroker (1964)

Movie #12 - Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957) - Directed by Ed Wood
Due Date: Monday August 31st, 2009

Recommended double-feature: Ed Wood (1994)

Movie #13 - Delicatessen (1957) - Directed by Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Due Date: Monday September 14th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: A Very Long Engagement (2004)

Movie #14 - Night of the Hunter (1955)
Due Date: Monday September 28th, 2009

Recommended double-feature: TBA

Follow the links in the calendar to view the movie-specific threads or just go back to the Movie Club subforum and navigate from there.. The poll is constantly running, so vote often!

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcome here!

Last edited by NSpan on Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:23 pm; edited 46 times in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club'  <------START HERE Empty Re: Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club' <------START HERE

Post by NSpan Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:32 am

i'm adding a "recommended double-feature" suggestion to each of our movie club picks.. so far, it seems like some people are plowing through our calendar--while others need the extra time to get their hands on these movies.. i figured the double-feature idea could incorporate some optional movies that might, somehow enhance your viewing of the official Club picks.. you know, movies with similar themes or plots.. movies that share the same director, writer, or star.. remakes, sequels, prequels... or anything else that you can draw a connection to..

for example, I chose Juliet of the Spirits for Alice, as the latter is considered a spiritual successor to the former.. and I chose Equus as a companion piece to Amadeus because both were written by playwright Peter Shaffer..

Last edited by NSpan on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club'  <------START HERE Empty Re: Welcome to Movie Club--more 'Book Club' than 'Fight Club' <------START HERE

Post by packpaljs Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:55 am

For Lawrence of Arabia, why Doctor Zhivago as the double feature? Just curious.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:27 am

these two movies share the same director, writer, composer, cinematographer, art director, and costume designer.. that's just to name a few.. several more from the cast and crew show up in the credits of both..

both movies are considered "epic" classics.. both films were nominated by the Academy for Best Picture, Director, Writing, Score, Cinematography, Art Direction, Editing, Sound, and Supporting Actor in their respective years..

both films are in the AFI Top 100 list you mentioned (at #5 and #39)..

the fact that David Lean directed both of these in succession was enough for me to seriously consider it.. all the other similarities are just icing.. viewing these two back-to-back might not be "complimentary" like some of the Double Feature suggestions, but I think it'd make for some great comparing and contrasting between the two

i'm also a little bit curious as to whether or not someone could possibly sit through both Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago in the same night without shooting themselves.. Surprised

for non-masochists, i included a few alternatives in the Lawrence thread:

A Man for All Seasons (1964)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia (1990)
El Cid (1961)
The Longest Day (1962)
Zulu (1964)
For a Few Dollars More (1965)

and, although i'm not going to make it official, i think just about any Spielberg movie would be an interesting companion piece, considering the impact this film had on his career
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:36 am

Wow I didn't know they had so many things in common. I thought maybe it was the contrasting back drops (Desert, Snow).
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu May 28, 2009 4:25 am

http://www.theauteurs.com

imdb posted this link today.. handy site for watching classic movies online.. not all the movies are free (they cost up to $5 for a "rental").. thought this might come in handy for some Movie Club picks (and double-features)..

registration is free.. from there, you can sort their list of films by which are available to watch in your area..

i'm watching the Montery Pop Festival right now (for free).. good stuff
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by RonBurgundy Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:17 pm

right, ill be joining. Ive gotta see- Aquirre: Wrath of God. I doubt my local video store has it though, how do guys find these films?
RonBurgundy
RonBurgundy
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Good bets are the Public Library, netflix or other online options. Blind-buying isn't a bad option either since we aren't putting up movies here that you'll be ashamed to have on your dvd rack. Renting mught not be as hard as you think -- depends if you've got an artsier video rental place around or not. I've got three to choose from if the library doesn't pan out, but since we've got the schedule so far ahead, it can usually cover me.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:07 am

RonBurgundy wrote:right, ill be joining. Ive gotta see- Aquirre: Wrath of God. I doubt my local video store has it though, how do guys find these films?

Ron, as I am sure you are aware video librarys in WA are crap for any movie that ain't a big blockbuster (apart from Planet Video in Mt Lawley, but that's too far away for me) so I joined www.quickflix.com.au. They have most of the movies on this list.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by RonBurgundy Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Hey Leestu! Cheers for the advice. Yeah i was not too keen on the library but i do have an aquaintance who works at that particular planet video, its a pity i just lost me licence....bugger! ok, ill have a look at quickflix. And yeah, i failed my last assignment, did not even find The Wraith....

But on a totally random spinoff, i am halfway thru The Diving Bell and Butterfly, and have finished Arrested Development. Next up: Collateral Damage! YAY
RonBurgundy
RonBurgundy
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down