The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next step in making the Fantaverse a better place (Actual serious post by Donte)(really)

+14
A_Roode
BarcaRulz
MisterInformative
mfrendo
Keyser Soze
englishozzy
JackO
BanksIsDaFuture
silversurfer19
Swedgin!
NSpan
undeadmonkey
Shrykespeare
Donte77
18 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The next step in making the Fantaverse a better place (Actual serious post by Donte)(really) - Page 4 Empty Re: The next step in making the Fantaverse a better place (Actual serious post by Donte)(really)

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:43 am

Yes, I have already admitted, but I have neglected the B Ladder Leagues of late. I'll try to find a couple of hours to update this weeks scores at some point. I need to get a hang of Shryke's spreadsheets which he kindly provided, then hopefully it'll be a piece of cake.

However the other problem which Donte pointed out was the ease in which everything can be assembled on the site for quick glance information. This will require some flash or HTML work, and unfortunately that is down to Barca. Until he returns, then none of that can be done, and even then, I don't know if he even has the ability to initiate such a feature. You'd have thought amongst all of us geeks we'd have at least one of us who was a whizz a web design..... Maybe we'll have to just trundle along with this prehistoric version for the near future.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

The next step in making the Fantaverse a better place (Actual serious post by Donte)(really) - Page 4 Empty Re: The next step in making the Fantaverse a better place (Actual serious post by Donte)(really)

Post by Swedgin! Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:13 am

I'm nearly finished, btw, with my January 30 "slate" of examples. Should be up tomorrow sometime.

ETA:

Problem; I keep trying to call Swedgin Nico.
Solution; Either change back or I need to stab my brain with a pencil.
No reason why we can't have both. [Grin]

The next step in making the Fantaverse a better place (Actual serious post by Donte)(really) - Page 4 Nailhead
Infernal's aim needed improvement. Ironically, the practice he so desperately needed was killing him
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:25 am

Keyser Soze wrote:Donte,

I think the first thing we need to do if we are ever going to attract more players is make sure we have the games running in a smooth and timely manner. Now I want to state right here that I am not pointing fingers at anyone as I now know that many of the people running some of these games have much more important things going on in their lives right now than updating league standings, but going forward, I believe that the number 1 priority should be the games. I(Along with many others) am currently in 3 Leagues (People Love Pixar, Santa Vs. The Walmartians and the Ladder B League) running here either from Nov-Jan or Dec-Feb, and not one of these leagues has been updated since early - mid December. As I said earlier, having spoken to each individual responsible for said leagues, I know they are busy, but if I was a newbie and had somehow found my way over to this site or had been invited by one of you to join that I most likely wouldn't be sticking around to play for too long.

I think there definitely needs to be a sticky for each league that has nothing in it but the currently updated standings for that league. There should be another section that contains nothing but folks' slates for that game and then a third for discussion of that league. As for slate changes, do you think they should just be posted to your slate page or should you also have to e-mail them to your league administrator thereby saving him the time of constantly having to go through all of the slates each week to see if anyone has made any changes, and if those changes are copacetic?

I'm trying to help contribute where I can

I agree with you, but i have been updating the walmartian league for leestu. and if you check you'll see that it was updated on the 29th, which would mean that i've only missed one week. and I am sorry about that. i'll have it updated tomorrow
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:23 pm

undeadmonkey wrote:I agree with you, but i have been updating the walmartian league for leestu. and if you check you'll see that it was updated on the 29th, which would mean that i've only missed one week. and I am sorry about that. i'll have it updated tomorrow

Mea Culpa UDM. My bad
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:
However the other problem which Donte pointed out was the ease in which everything can be assembled on the site for quick glance information. This will require some flash or HTML work, and unfortunately that is down to Barca. Until he returns, then none of that can be done, and even then, I don't know if he even has the ability to initiate such a feature. You'd have thought amongst all of us geeks we'd have at least one of us who was a whizz a web design..... Maybe we'll have to just trundle along with this prehistoric version for the near future.

This was kinda my point. Everyone's ideas are all well and good, the thing is, if it were that simple, we would have already set this up at the start of the new fantaverse. The problem isn't that we don't know what we want. The problem is that we don't have the technical ability to build these things. I know I certainly know nothing about coding a web-page, and no one else has stepped forward saying that they can or will do it either. That is why we are stuck with our ugly, text based, cluttered game. FM had a system that they wrote and placed into their website that made it much more fancy, streamlined and cool. We just don't have the people that are qualified to create this at the moment. At least not to my knowledge.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:18 pm

geezer9687 wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:

This was kinda my point. Everyone's ideas are all well and good, the thing is, if it were that simple, we would have already set this up at the start of the new fantaverse. The problem isn't that we don't know what we want. The problem is that we don't have the technical ability to build these things. I know I certainly know nothing about coding a web-page, and no one else has stepped forward saying that they can or will do it either. That is why we are stuck with our ugly, text based, cluttered game. FM had a system that they wrote and placed into their website that made it much more fancy, streamlined and cool. We just don't have the people that are qualified to create this at the moment. At least not to my knowledge.

As far as i know, there is no one who has that kind of programing ability. My computer abilities are limited, and while i am trying to get some more streamlined features, they sure as hell won't be anywhere near ready before i get to Australia.

If anyone has any idea how to do anything, then please PM me with some relevant info.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:31 am

Okay, due to Barca's prolonged absence he has installed me as an admin to keep things going around here. I have started by installing a ranking system. It's very crude at the moment, only indicating the character you are from the top 100. However, would you like a star rating system below it to indicate how far through the characters you are? I have also installed a new column in the advice section which is where Steve Mason's columns will be placed from now on.

Is there anything else I can help with?
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:33 am

Surf,

Is there a place where the Character rankings are listed?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:35 am

It is on page 8 of the "Fantaverse creates our own 100 greatest character list blah blah blah my brilliant idea" thread.

Surfer, how'd you settle the deadlock at the top, and how does it break down in terms of post count to move up?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:39 am

Yeah Keyser, as Geez said, on the poll page.

I haven't actually sorted that out yet, I have only ranked up to about 1500 posts, I'll get to the rest at a later date, but before anyone reaches it. It finished as a tie but I personally would give it to Darth Vader. Does it really matter though? And regarding how I have assembled the post counts, it's just been every 50-100 posts or so at the moment, but I'm willing to hear any suggestions.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:43 am

I noticed that you did like 15 at the beginning, which i think is good. I'm thinking how you did it is spot on. And it does matter! Give it to Vader, you have the admin power! I was going to let Barca decide it, but since you are implementing it, I let you wield that power.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:47 am

Yeah, I don't know whether I should change it and make it even more condensed at the beginning, as we are only 20 characters through at like 1200 posts! If we keep going at this rate you will reach Vader at something like 10,000 posts. Is that about right, do you think?
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:53 am

I dunno, maybe cut back from 100 to 50 posts in between promotions. That would cut it back a lot.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:11 am

I agree with the 50. 5000 posts is managable but 10K is ludicrous. LOL

And I am a super hero right now. Woohooooo!!!

Good job SS.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:26 am

10,000 is possible. Look at those guys at Box Office Mojo and how they do 10,000 in their sleep.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:10 am

Buscemi wrote:10,000 is possible. Look at those guys at Box Office Mojo and how they do 10,000 in their sleep.

BoMojo has way more topics and WAY more members.. It's easier to post more when there's more to talk about and more people to talk to.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:27 am

geezer9687 wrote:It is on page 8 of the "Fantaverse creates our own 100 greatest character list blah blah blah my brilliant idea" thread.

And what section is that in? I can't seem to find it...
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:32 am

Polls section shryke
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:41 am

I think I am gonna stick with my current system, meaning it probably will take 10,000 posts to reach the top status. I think that is a better idea as it got a little bit dull after we all reached Mogul status on the old site. At least this gives us something to aim for.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:03 pm

Ok, I've been scouring a few of the last pages on this thread basically to get back up to speed on what everyone wanted the site to consist of. Now, does everyone still want a movie capsule part to the site, and is Swedgin! or somebody else want to implement this? Also, do we still want to look into setting up a page for putting your studios in - to which I think maybe set up a new sub forum and we can each set up a thread under our username and we could put all our slates into their for reference? Any better ideas on that? Any other ideas anyone wants me to look into?

I don't exactly know what I am doing when looking into the admin of the site, and I don't know if I can install codes or anything else which would make the site fancier, but I'll keep researching and hopefully find some answers to our questions.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:36 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Ok, I've been scouring a few of the last pages on this thread basically to get back up to speed on what everyone wanted the site to consist of. Now, does everyone still want a movie capsule part to the site, and is Swedgin! or somebody else want to implement this? Also, do we still want to look into setting up a page for putting your studios in - to which I think maybe set up a new sub forum and we can each set up a thread under our username and we could put all our slates into their for reference? Any better ideas on that? Any other ideas anyone wants me to look into?

I don't exactly know what I am doing when looking into the admin of the site, and I don't know if I can install codes or anything else which would make the site fancier, but I'll keep researching and hopefully find some answers to our questions.

This would be cool, since I forget what my slate is the second after I make it. Then I have to digging in my "Sent" email folders and it's just a hassle. Or maybe I'm just lazy Sad
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:10 am

Following on from that, I've set up a forum for posting slates in. Within this, I can set up each player and they can individually insert their slates into their own page. I could also look into putting into place some images for posters similar to the ones Chugs implemented. How does this idea grab everybody? Is it something we would actually use as a base for hosting our slates? Have a look at my example and see if this is the kind of thing you want.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:26 am

It couldn't hurt
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:06 am

You don't mean to set up a new forum for each person right? I mean, as it is right now, your name is set up as one. If you were to do that for everyone, the forum page would be extremely long. I think you should just set up one forum for slates, as you have, and let everyone start their own thread as they wish, if they want to post their slates. If this is what you had planned already, then nevermind Laughing
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:14 am

Yeah, I realised that before. Kinda annoying. I'll change it to as you suggested.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next