The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance

+23
Chienfantome
W
IPKI$$
johnErle
Donte77
SuperShaan
J.I.
becs
geezer9687
Keyser Soze
mfrendo
NSpan
silversurfer19
numbersix_99
lillylovelost
Alyson
A_Roode
Buscemi
JackO
BanksIsDaFuture
undeadmonkey
BarcaRulz
transformers2
27 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance - Page 39 Empty Re: An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance

Post by Donte77 Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Your spoiler is why a friend told me not to bother with Knowing.

Actually he said

Spoiler:

Also I planned on seeing Moon anyway and this made me more optimistic about seeing the film. Thanks Keyser.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance - Page 39 Empty Re: An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance

Post by silversurfer19 Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:01 am

Making up for lost time:

Blindness: 7.5/10

I actually quite enjoyed this, despite the critical mauling it received. I noted its flaws, but nevertheless found it thought provoking and with some excellent performances all around.

Terminator Salvation: 6.5/10

Not the awful mess I thought McG could have created out of this, in fact the opening half hour or so is rather good, but I suppose you have to disconnect yourself from the original 2 movies as this is an entirely different animal. It works as an action movie, not so much as a Terminator movie. Not bad, but not great. Better than T3 though....

The Brothers Bloom: 8/10

I really, really enjoyed this. I'm a big fan of Rian Johnson and though Brick was immense, and this easily lived up to its predecessor. Witty, great dialogue, some brilliant cinematography and good performances all around. The story matched too. One of my highlights of the year so far.

Up: 9/10

One of the best movie's of the year so far. No question. Absolutely superb. I didn't realise how affected I would be by the sadness of Carl's story, I was almost brought to tears (but I'm a man, and men don't cry). Kept up with Pixar's tradition of creating fabulous animations with brilliant stories. They have probably surpassed most of Disney's supposed 'classics' now. I wasn't sure I would feel this was having originally seen the trailers for which I was largely uninterested, but the movie became so much more. Worth every penny in 3D too.

Year One: 6.5/10

Some good jokes and a few decent performances, but not enough to really stand out.

Drag Me To Hell: 9.5/10

Will probably be my favourite movie of the year come Jan. 2010. Absolutely vintage Raimi, I loved it. Terrifying, gruesome, hilarious and highly enjoyable. Some great Raimi camera sweeps and good performances all round. Absolutely brilliant.

Sunshine Cleaning: 7/10

Good performances all round. Good story and a nice way to spend a thunderous afternoon in a second run theatre in Florida.

Transformers 2: 5/10

I expected too much after the first movie. Shoddy dialogue, no script, far too much action (I think the final hour was comparative to ROTK's seventy endings), woeful acting and in need of an editor. Special effects were the only thing to keep it going.

In The Loop: 7.5/10

Great satire from the masterful Armando Ianucci. Brilliant performances and very, very funny.

Adventureland: 8/10

Didn't expect myself to like this as much as I did. I expected Superbad but this was so much more. Very good performances from the young cast and an immersing story.

Gran Torino: 7.5/10

Finally got round to seeing this. Quite predictable and nothing special other than Clint's masterful "Get off my lawn!!" performance. He really took the movie up a level or two.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall: 6.5/10

I preferred I Love You, Man much much more. A few good jokes, Russell Brand was Russell Brand and that was pretty much it.

Control: 9/10

Absolutely mind blowing biopic. I am a big fan of Joy Division and found this a great insight into the mind behind the music. A very haunting score matches the mood, although I was surprised to see that Curtis was actually a lot more light hearted than I thought. Great cinematography, brilliant performances and a highly emotive script. Brilliant.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:03 am

Yeah, Control really was brilliant, was it not?
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:31 pm

About Knowing's ending:
Spoiler:
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince - 9/10

As any Potter fan knows, HBP is mostly backstory, along with some romantic advancement between the leads. I feel that the movie had the same vibe to it, all just filler. It plays not as a chapter of a whole story, but just an intro to the final chapter. I still liked almost all of it, it's easily the funniest Potter movie yet. Harry on Liquid Luck, Ron on the Love Potion from Romilda, Slughorn at all times - all funny shit. The cave scene was effeciently creepy, I didn't expect a jumpscare from an HP movie though. I do feel like we were jipped on
Spoiler:
I was let down at the end, but it's still a great movie. It just makes me all the more excited for Deathly Hallows.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 am

that review kinda sucked, HP5 was my least favorite because i felt that it was just a set up for the next movie, now this is just a set up for HP7-1 which will probably just be a set up for HP7-2. Grr, and i was actually looking forward to this one. hopefully ill still enjoy it, but my expectations are way down
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:31 am

Harry Potter 6: 8/10.

I'll keep this simple, if you haven't read the book, you will NOT like this movie. HBP is by far the most story oriented of the series, and if you haven't read the book and go in expecting more flying and magic then you will be disappointed. As it stands, i think they have done well to pull this off without killing the story. I'm also happy that they actors were able to act normally as opposed to all the over-acting in the previous installments (i am obviously talking about the 'child' actors).

Transformers 2: anything over a 2 is over-rating it. BULLSHIT.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:51 am

Transformers 2- 5/10 About what I expected. The things I hear complaints about didn't bother me as much as I would've thought. I only went because I wasn't paying, and I only semi-enjoyed it because I was blazed out of my mind. My major problems with it, besides the obvious, were that there was no escalation in the action sequences. Every one was on full blast, so by the time we get to the final battle, which should've been awesome, it was just whatever. And leave it to Michael Bay to make a 2 1/2 hour movie where the main actors do literally nothing even though they're in every single fucking scene. And why the hell did he have to put a Bad Boys 2 poster in the dorm room? He could've at least used The Rock or Armageddon if he HAD to jerk himself off.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:36 am

Yeah, my brother was mad he self promoted himself too, although he thinks Bad Boys 2 is his best movie. I haven't seen it.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:38 am

He did the same thing in the first movie, only it was Armageddon instead of Bad Boys II.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:43 am

I must not have gotten that far in the first one.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:31 am

BarcaRulz wrote:Harry Potter 6: 8/10.

I'll keep this simple, if you haven't read the book, you will NOT like this movie. HBP is by far the most story oriented of the series, and if you haven't read the book and go in expecting more flying and magic then you will be disappointed. As it stands, i think they have done well to pull this off without killing the story. I'm also happy that they actors were able to act normally as opposed to all the over-acting in the previous installments (i am obviously talking about the 'child' actors).

Transformers 2: anything over a 2 is over-rating it. BULLSHIT.

I haven't read the books (which I prob should do), and I actually like HP6. It wasn't much what I expected, but good nonetheless. I prob would have taken out the last scene and ended with the image before it fading to black.

Agreed on TF2.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:51 pm

Public Enemies *.5/****

Michael Mann has done the impossible. He takes a gangster movie and actually makes it boring. To add insult to injury, the bluegrass score is annoying, the film is shot like The Blair Witch Project and most of the acting is pure ham. It is only worth your time if you haven't slept in five days and need a fast and cheap way to fall asleep (in fact, I actually did sleep through a lot of the movie).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Moon 7/10

Very well-made sci fi. Sure, it's indebted to 2001 (with a hint of Alien and Blade Runner), but Rockwell is excellent and it's engaging all the way though.

Bruno 6/10

Nowhere near as funny as Borat, but still entertaining. The start isn't that funny as it's too reliant on average scripted material, but once he takes on the prejudices of southern USA, things get awkwardly funny again. The song at the end didn't work since everyone was in on it.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:32 pm

Buscemi wrote:Public Enemies *.5/****

Michael Mann has done the impossible. He takes a gangster movie and actually makes it boring.

Really? That's impossible? I could have sworn Francis Ford Coppola mastered that technique not less than 37 years ago! In fact, I'd say that a much more difficult feat would be to make a gangster movie that isn't boring.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Lots of gangster movies that weren't boring:

Bonnie and Clyde
Once Upon a Time in America
White Heat
Little Caeser
New Jack City
The Untouchables
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:40 pm

I agree on Bonnie and Clyde and The Untouchables. I haven't seen the rest, but maybe I should.

Anyways, Harry Potter 6: 8/10

Its tough for me to give the HP films a rating because they all kinda blend together and I like them all but would never run out and buy any of them. I enjoyed this one. Lots of character development and it was definitely funny. I just wish that the whole "Half Blood Prince" storyline was more of a focus point. It seemed like it was just cast aside and then just wrapped up way too fast at the end (if you can even call it a wrap up). I assume this is how it was done in the book, but I haven't read it, and if it was explained further and made more important than this was an egregious error on the part of the filmmakers. It was definitely a set up for 7 part 1, which kinda sucks because this is my first Harry Potter big screen experience and my first where now I have to wait for the next one and waiting blows.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 pm

geezer9687 wrote:I agree on Bonnie and Clyde and The Untouchables. I haven't seen the rest, but maybe I should.

You should probably at least check out New Jack City and Once Upon a Time in America
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 pm

The Godfather at least has a good and well-developed story. In Public Enemies, the film seemingly starts in the middle and you aren't given any insight on who the characters are and why we even like them in the first place. It's just you watching Johnny Depp, Christian Bale, Marion Cotillard (who sadly seems to be going into the Monica Bellucci direction of only playing vamps and hookers in Hollywood films) and Billy Crudup (who looks like Christian Bale but with a fatter face) playing dress-up with over the top accents.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:33 am

I watched part of Labor Pains, the Lindsay Lohan movie that went straight to ABC Family. It wasn't that bad, I'm gonna try and see the whole thing when it comes back on.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:18 am

And you admit that?!?!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:38 am

I do indeed. I have sort of a soft spot for Lindsey Lohan, I think she's a great actress that could win Oscars and open tentpoles on her name alone. At least she could've, before she went out of control.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:32 am

I don't know about that, Banks, but people are entitled to their opinions and there's always a chance of anything...
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 am

Well, probably not open tentpoles because what actress besides Angelina Jolie can really do that. But I think she's Oscar caliber, if she ever got a serious role.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:09 pm

I think Vin Diesel has as much chance of ever winning an Oscar as Lohan does. In fact, I think he has a better chance of ever being nominated for one than she does.

In fact, I think this sums her up best

Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next