The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

+25
BarcaRulz
IPKI$$
Swedgin!
Shrykespeare
Keyser Soze
numbersix_99
geezer9687
RonBurgundy
becs
mfrendo
A_Roode
Donte77
Alyson
BanksIsDaFuture
Synestro
silversurfer19
undeadmonkey
W
lillylovelost
JackO
Buscemi
MisterInformative
transformers2
leestu
NSpan
29 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 35 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by packpaljs Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:31 pm

I enjoy Crimes and Misdemeanors also. I don't know exactly where it would go on my Allen list, but I know it wouldnt' be as high as 3.

1. Annie Hall
2. Sleeper
3.Take the Money and Run
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 35 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by A_Roode Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:34 am

With the qualifier that I haven't seen 'Annie Hall' yet *ducks a shoe thrown by Nspan*, my top three are 'Crimes and Misdemeanors,' 'Deconstructing Harry,' and 'Sweet and Low Down.'

Hard not to put 'The Purple Rose of Cairo' on that list.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 am

Deconstructing Harry was the movie that started my affair with Allen films, since I've become an avad collector of his movies.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:24 am

Just watched Paranoid Park.........Not sure how to rate this one yet. I thought the directing was amazing other than acting, which is in part by the director I would say, but the acting was so bad I think it was intentional. It was almost like the actors and actresses were doing the scene one time and whatever they got, they kept. The story was dark and creepy. I thought the main character (Gabe Nevins) has a good future if he sticks with acting, not that he was great in this movie, but he's got a face that's nice to watch. Wow that sounded pretty gay, but I think you'll understand if you watch it.

I'm very surprised that Milk was the Gus Van Sant movie that got nominated for best director. This was done with a much more creative style. I thought Milk was a paint by numbers piece and completely overrated horse crap. I'll stop my anti Milk rant there.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:05 am

Psycho- 10/10

An obvious classic that still holds up and kicks the ass of almost every horror film that came after it. Second only to Rear Window for me, out of the one's we've watched. This was my second viewing of it, but first in a long while, so it was almost like a fresh experience.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:07 am

I prefer Rear Window to Psycho as well although they are both great. You should check out Hitchcock's Rope. That's a great movie as well. Check it out.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:41 am

I have in fact seen Rope, pack, in another class and enjoyed it very much. Here's an updated list.

Blackmail- 7/10
Sabotage- 7.5/10
The 39 Steps- 9/10
Young and Innocent- 6/10
Shadow of a Doubt- 9.5/10
Spellbound- 7/10
Notorious- 7.5/10
Strangers on a Train- 8/10
Rear Window- 10/10
Vertigo- 7/10
North by Northwest- 9.5/10
Psycho- 10/10
The Birds (reserving judgment til I re-watch it next week)
Frenzy (in two weeks)
Family Plot (in three weeks)
Rope (not on the list, but saw in another class)- 9/10

I will put them in order when I have seen them all.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:05 am

Nice list I haven't seen all those but have seen a couple others not on your list. Thank you for having an honest rating of Vertigo. I'm so tired of hearing it as the classic and best Hitchcock movie. I mean I love it, but I wouldn't make my top 5 Hitchcock list.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:06 am

I just finished Mongol. Wow, was I surprised. I wasn't sure I was going to like this, but I loved it. A great epic story and some pretty intense scenes. I heard a rumor that they are suppose to make a 2nd and 3rd, and I really hope they do.

Mongol
8/10
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 am

Vertigo was just too weird for me. There was too much going on that didn't seem to make sense. It dragged for a while, then went way too fast by the end. It won't even make my top 10 Hitchcock films. I just didn't get the big deal. I was very disappointed.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:23 pm

if i were to make a Top 5 Hitchcock:

1 Psycho (1960)
2 Vertigo (1958)
3 Rear Window (1954)
4 Rope (1948)
5 Rebecca (1940)

Notables:
The Birds (1963)
North by Northwest (1959)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
Notorious (1946)
Saboteur (1942)
Marnie (1964)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
The Trouble with Harry (1955)
To Catch a Thief (1955)
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Spellbound (1945)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 pm

My 5 Hitch faves

1. Psycho
2. Rear Window
3. Spellbound
4. The Birds
5. North By Northwest

The top 4 are set, but I could quite easily exchange the 5th spot for any of Strangers On A Train, Marnie, Vertigo or Notorious.
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 pm

My Top 5 Hitchcock:

1.Rear Window
2.Psycho
3.North By Northwest
4.Shadow Of A Doubt
5.Rope
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 pm

packpaljs wrote:Just watched Paranoid Park.........Not sure how to rate this one yet. I thought the directing was amazing other than acting, which is in part by the director I would say, but the acting was so bad I think it was intentional. It was almost like the actors and actresses were doing the scene one time and whatever they got, they kept. The story was dark and creepy. I thought the main character (Gabe Nevins) has a good future if he sticks with acting, not that he was great in this movie, but he's got a face that's nice to watch. Wow that sounded pretty gay, but I think you'll understand if you watch it.

I'm very surprised that Milk was the Gus Van Sant movie that got nominated for best director. This was done with a much more creative style. I thought Milk was a paint by numbers piece and completely overrated horse crap. I'll stop my anti Milk rant there.

If you haven't seen it already DEFINITELY check out Elephant. I really liked Paranoid Park as well personally, but Elephant is certainly on a higher level.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm not sure I could put my favorite Hitchcock films in an order. I mean I love so many of them and for different reasons. I'm not sure how I could say I liked any of these films better than any of the others

Psycho
The Birds
Rebecca
Strangers on a Train
To Catch a Thief
North by Northwest
Vertigo
Rope
Notorious
The 39 Steps
Suspicion
Dial M for Murfer
The Trouble With Harry
Hell, I'd even throw Lifeboat on this list.

I could watch any of these movies at any time
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 pm

Thanks Becs, I'll look into that
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm watching Frontier(s) -6/10

Intense. Kinda of like Hostel but in a foreign language. Can't believe it's the same director of Hitman though.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:13 pm

Hitman - Ha! The best part of that movie was the opening titles.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Wow, Boush, we actually agree on something, my top 5 are very similar if not the same.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:30 pm

Keep in mind that a lot of Hitman was edited down by the studio and scenes were reshot by another director. But thanks to Fox, that other director was never credited (though I can tell you his name is Nicolas De Toth and he was also the guy responsible for turning Live Free Or Die Hard into a PG-13 borefest) and the credited director (who was fired by the studio because his cut was too graphic) is now a pariah due to the old studio fuck you.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:27 pm

re-watched Twilight courtesy of the RedBox near my house, liked it alot better, 8/10
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:46 pm

I never shy away from Hitchcock discussions...

Top 10 in alphabetical order, like Kaiser said it's so hard for me to compare his movies to one another because they're all so different in terms of entertainment value and why they're so good...

The Birds
Jamaica Inn
The Man Who Knew Too Much(original)
Marnie
Murder
North By Northwest
Psycho
Rear Window
Saboteur
Strangers on a Train

Though there are still a few I haven't seen as I first intended to find his most obscure films first and work my way to the classics...Some just couldn't be helped thanks to my film classes.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:37 am

Jamaica Inn, wow, I don't even think many people have seen that, much less have it as there top Hitchcock Films. I wish he would've remade this movie later on with a better budget and technology.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:14 am

Yeah, I'm a sucker for Charles Laughton...especially as a pirate. It would be really cool to see a quality remake done of it, but it would have to be done by someone with a good eye for atmospheric suspense...Frank Darabont could do it, and Russell Crowe or Viggo Mortensen could play Laughton's role. Apparently, there was a TV version of it with Jane Seymour and Patrick McGoohan.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:51 am

A theater near my house is showing Vertigo for free, and I'm wondering if I should go see it...

And I wonder what trailers would be in front of it?
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next