The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

+25
BarcaRulz
IPKI$$
Swedgin!
Shrykespeare
Keyser Soze
numbersix_99
geezer9687
RonBurgundy
becs
mfrendo
A_Roode
Donte77
Alyson
BanksIsDaFuture
Synestro
silversurfer19
undeadmonkey
W
lillylovelost
JackO
Buscemi
MisterInformative
transformers2
leestu
NSpan
29 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 17 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:24 am

I was being sarcastic, because apparently not wanting to see Boyz N The Hood makes me either racist or film retarded.

And at least someone is of the same opinion as me on Wall-E. I can always count on you tranny.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 17 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:48 am

I dont think I even know what Boys n the hood is.

As for Wall-E, I thought it was amazing, especially the first part as people have said, it was haunting in its vision of the future and we get to know Wall-E with no words at all, how amazing is that? One of the reasons its heralded as a masterpiece is because it is told visually, for the most part, which, when you think about it, is what film is: visual storytelling.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 am

UDM,

From what I understand, the first 30 minutes of Wall-E was meant to be an homage to the early Charlie Chaplin silent films, and I, for one, thought they pulled it off brilliantly.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:47 am

I guess I just happen to be one who likes my films chock full of dialogue. I like to be able to walk out of a film being able to quote it. I hate slapstick comedy, I don't like silent movies and I thought Wall-e was just ok. It was definitely original and unlike most animated films today, but to me that is not why I watch a movie. I don't watch it to see its originality. I watch it to be entertained. And on that level, the film was not on par. I never said it was bad, just average. Nothing spectacular. A 7.5. If you all look at the film and say "Oh look its an homage to Charlie Chaplin," great. I look at it and say, "ok can we start moving the story along today? Plus, I can see why everyone says the film loses its way when Wall-e leaves earth. But what I don't understand, is how can you say that the film is a masterpiece when you thought half the movie wasn't masterful? If they had stuck with one direction, the love story on earth, or the trying to save the day and get the humans home, I probably would have enjoyed it more. But I feel they tried to push too much together, resulting in two half stories instead of a whole one.

And yes, film is visual storytelling. But they started adding sound to them in the late 20s. So I don't really see a reason why it should rely strictly on visuals, when there's all that beautiful technology out there to actually write a great dialogue.

Where would the world be without "Yippie Kay Yay Mother Fucker," "You can't handle the truth," "Hasta La Vista, Baby," or "I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." To me, a strong dialogue is what makes a film last and resonate with me. I understand that your point is that Wall-e pulls this off without the dialogue, but it just didn't do that for me.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. But at least I gave it a chance. A year ago at this time, I never would have even sat down to watch the thing. At least I gave it the opportunity to let me down.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:02 am

For my next Hitchcock experience I had the pleasure of watching Shadow of a Doubt. 9.5/10

Absolutely masterful film. The characters were perfect, the suspense was brilliant, the acting was outstanding, the humor was hilarious and the story was fascinating. I can absolutely see why Hitchcock called it his favorite film. It may have gone on a tad too long which is why it loses half a point. Other than that, sheer brilliance. Loved it. Best one we've watched yet, even better than 39 Steps which was also great.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 am

Finally saw There Will Be Blood - 9/10

Very well done, and acting was above par (to say the least). I had to watch it in two parts, as something came up in the middle of it, and probably wouldve been even more into it if I had been able to sit and watch the whole thing through.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:14 am

Hmm. That's interesting. We own this one, but my wife, who is a pretty big Hitch fan, really didn't like it. Can't remember in particular what is was, but she urged me not to bother watching it. Maybe I'll have to find out for myself.

Otherwise, last night we watched Desperate Housewives, Scrubs and Malcolm In The Middle. Tonight we finally get to see Slumdog. Looking forward to it.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:17 am

You must watch it. It was Hitch's first film in which he used a psychopathic character. The small town every day everyman aspect of it was impressively disturbing. And like I said, the acting was absolutely superb. Sneak away for a couple hours and watch by yourself if you have to, it was excellent.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:19 am

Okay, I'll lock her up in the cupboard and judge it for myself.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:32 am

Though not really watching, I've been playing Bully for the past few days on PlayStation 2. If any video game that hasn't been adapted yet deserves an adaptation, this is it. It could be the story of Jimmy Hopkins, a chronic troublemaker from Seattle (the game's setting looks like Washington or British Columbia) who is sent to the controversial but well-respected Bullworth Academy. The film chronicles Jimmy's journey of becoming the biggest and most feared bully in the school. Also, he must defeat the school's tyrranical ruler who hates Jimmy's guts (I want to see Phillip Baker Hall in this role) and win the girl (a new subplot for the film, I haven't played far enough to see if he has a love interest but I want to see the bit part of Christy expanded into the lead female).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:39 am

Wendy and Lucy - 7/10

Very well done. I felt more isolated with this film that a busy city, then I did in the vast special effects emptiness of I Am Legend. If there is a face of the recession, it's Wendy.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm

geezer9687 wrote:For my next Hitchcock experience I had the pleasure of watching Shadow of a Doubt. 9.5/10

Absolutely masterful film. The characters were perfect, the suspense was brilliant, the acting was outstanding, the humor was hilarious and the story was fascinating. I can absolutely see why Hitchcock called it his favorite film. It may have gone on a tad too long which is why it loses half a point. Other than that, sheer brilliance. Loved it. Best one we've watched yet, even better than 39 Steps which was also great.

Agreed, a fantastic. Interestingly, Hitch basically said he saw Citizen Kane, thought it was brilliant, and wrote Shadow of a Doubt, employing some of its techniques (more dramatic lighting, more natural dialogue and blocking). It was the right move.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 am

I saw Vertigo and Kramer vs. Kramer last night.

Both are very strong 9/10s for me. I loved Vertigo's ending and it's use of music and in Kramer I loved seeing Dustin Hoffman not playing caricature that he is doing nowadays.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:31 am

JackO wrote:I saw Vertigo and Kramer vs. Kramer last night.

Both are very strong 9/10s for me. I loved Vertigo's ending and it's use of music and in Kramer I loved seeing Dustin Hoffman not playing caricature that he is doing nowadays.

I guess I'm just old. I always just asume everyone has already seen these movies.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:52 am

Not any of these young guys. Although to be fair, I first saw Kramer vs Kramer when I was too young to understand much of it. LOL

Watched Changeling last night. Very good movie. Great performance by Jolie and another portrayal of how good of a director Clint really is. 8/10
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:11 am

I'll be seeing Vertigo when it comes up in my Hitchcock class, which won't be for quite a few weeks.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 am

I had a crush on Kim Novak for years after seeing that movie
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 am

I wasn't too big on vertigo, personally, one of my least favorite hitchcock films actually. And I've seen most.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:05 am

I know a lot of people don't like Vertigo, but I personally think it is just amazing, one of top 5 Hitch movies. The cinematography, the narrative, the suspense, the acting, the direction. Everything about it to me is stunning.

Last night we watched some Party Of Five. My wife really loves this, I can see the quality of it, but I just feel like slitting my wrists every time I watch it. There is just so much misery in every episode. You hardly ever see any of the family smile. Also watched America's Next Top Model, totally rubbish this year, not one model looks decent. And also watched Project Runway. I love this series, especially for Tim Gunn, who I find hilarious. The woman who is making everything out of leather is annoying me though. Especially after in the first episode she said she wanted to move away from always making things out of black leather. What has she made so far: 3 black leather outfits. Nice.

Tonight we are watching Grand Designs, Midsomer Murders, Stardust and hopefully if I can stay awake; Japanese Story, which I haven't seen before. Hopefully a good night...
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:14 am

Of course you never see the kids smile, their parents just died and they are left to fend for themselves. When that happens, it's hard to stop and smell the roses.

But it does beat watching 7th Heaven and those stupid kids who can never learn from their mistakes.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:29 am

I saw Waltz with Bashir tonight. 10/10 easily but really a film like that goes beyond this superficial rating scale. Not only is it innovative and inventive there are so many issues rolling around it. Responsibility. History. I have to give kudos for Israel for even putting this film in competition, much less having it as it's official selection to represent it. I haven't been that hard by a film in quite a while.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:38 am

I haven't been that hard by a film in quite a while.

Jacko... this sounds dirty and from the rest of the paragraph, I can't tell if it was or was not intended...

Anyway...

Mysterious Skin - 9/10
Holy moley this is an excellent movie. I had not seen the strong parallel people were drawing between Joseph Gordon Levitt and Heath Ledger until seeing this.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:02 am

becs wrote:
I haven't been that hard by a film in quite a while.

Jacko... this sounds dirty and from the rest of the paragraph, I can't tell if it was or was not intended...

Anyway...

Mysterious Skin - 9/10
Holy moley this is an excellent movie. I had not seen the strong parallel people were drawing between Joseph Gordon Levitt and Heath Ledger until seeing this.

Holy shit. What I meant to write was this:

"I haven't been hit that hard by a film in a long time." As in emotionally. affraid Fuck that was a bad mistake.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:27 am

^---haha, good stuff

the Friday the 13th remake was pretty bad--but not horrible.. it had its moments.. terrible ending though--they really didn't even try on that one.. i thought the first group of kids (the pre-opening credits bunch) were much more likable and interesting than the douches that comprised the primary cast.. people joke about rooting for the bad guy in horror movies like this, but i honestly couldn't wait for most of these kids to be killed off..

Choke was great.. it seems like Palahniuk recycles the disillusioned-30something-male-with-a-messiah-complex protagonist over and over, but i keep enjoying it.. (when is that Survivor movie gonna get made?).. i never read Choke, and i don't know if the movie is prompt me to change that.. either way, it's a fun story (you know, in a tragic and disturbing kind of way).. sam rockwell was great--as was anjelica huston (as always)..

Pineapple Express improves with each repeated viewing..

and Sex Drive was kinda awful.. Aly swore to me that it would "change my life"--but, then again, i made the mistake of watching it sober.. silly me.. for the record, Cyclops was pretty hilarious
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:57 am

But you've got to admit, Friday the 13th was better than the awful My Bloody Valentine remake that people liked so much. In fact, that was probably the most overrated horror film since Automaton Transfusion (sure it's obscure but the horror sites raved about it and by the time I saw it, I didn't understand the hype as it looked like a bad After Dark's Horrorfest reject).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next