The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

+17
Shrykespeare
geezer9687
leestu
Donte77
silversurfer19
becs
BarcaRulz
RonBurgundy
W
Keyser Soze
NSpan
numbersix_99
IPKI$$
mfrendo
transformers2
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
21 posters

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next

Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:54 am

I actually liked the bar scene. I loved the tension of it. I guess in the end though the movie is gonna split a lot of people though, with a portion wanting more basterds action, and another portion wanting more Shosanna. I am fairly happy with how it was edited. It wasn't perfect, but it certainly wasn't bad.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: An Idea Part 3: Same $h!t, Different Thread

Post by geezer9687 Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:03 am

Haha, and then there's me that wanted more of both, and less of anything else!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:08 am

You always have been an anomaly Geez. There is only one of you, and that may be a good thing....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:46 am

THe Hurt Locker 5/10 - It was well made, the action sequences were intense, but in the end i just didn't care for any of the characters, which made it quite boring for me. I have to say the body bomb scene was pretty gruesome, I actually started getting nauseous.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:03 am

Halloween 2 - 6/10

More of the same stuff. Shit is brutal though, I don't remember Halloween 2007 being that tough on the senses. Imaginary people, flashbacks, dream sequences are all utilized a bit too much, but doesn't matter since they all include Mike Myers murdering the shit out of everyone and everything. Let's see if PETA gets up in arms over his treatment of a dog. It's like Mike Vick times a million.

And can't go wrong with a little Brea Grant for good measure.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:06 am

I watched about 10 minutes of The Final Destination 3D and it looks extremely stupid. Like I'm a huge fan of the series and now I don't even want to watch this new piece of shit. The 3D is horrible, and I don't know if it was shot digitally or whatever but the quality looks off. It looks a little too perfect, which makes it look fake. Kinda like Public Enemies I guess. Plus the kills are really fake and weak, I saw the escalator one from the trailer and it looks like a PS1 video game.

I'll see it eventually but I'm not looking forward to it.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:07 am

I might do a double bill of Shorts and Halloween 2 this afternoon after class so I might get to see it myself.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 am

Halloween II was pretty fucking sick. I don't know how to rate it exactly, as I'm biased towards Rob Zombie in general, but it was way different than expected and intense as fuck. I hear his next is a remake of The Blob.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:52 am

I'll post my review for Halloween II later but I have one thing to say:

They need to do Halloween III! I demand closure!
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:04 pm

mfrendo wrote:Halloween II was pretty fucking sick. I don't know how to rate it exactly, as I'm biased towards Rob Zombie in general, but it was way different than expected and intense as fuck. I hear his next is a remake of The Blob.

That's what I thought too. I think it was the grunts that Michael Myers was doing while he was stabbing people. It gave what would usually just be a killing machine humanity, making it seem more real than usual. That and the way he would keep stabbing or stomping or slamming peoples' face into a wall after they were obviously dead.

Buscemi wrote:I'll post my review for Halloween II later but I have one thing to say:

They'll never be closure. He's always gonna "die" at the end and just return for the next one.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:07 pm

The Final Destination 3D - 5/10

A couple of good kills, but most of them were just bad. A lot of them were very cartoon-y, like if someone got smaked by a huge piece of concrete - there'd be no blood or body parts sticking out the edge. They'd just disappear like in a cartoon. Opening crash was really weak. Really dissapointed in the director since the 2nd one is my favorite. Loved the opening credits sequence though, they kind of replayed every death in the other movies. Very cool. Also, the snake was the best 3D effect of the movie.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:30 pm

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
Buscemi wrote:I'll post my review for Halloween II later but I have one thing to say:

They'll never be closure. He's always gonna "die" at the end and just return for the next one.

No, no. I mean this...

Spoiler:

And this is why we need closure!
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:46 am

Finally saw District 9, it was really really brilliant, definitely stole the top spot for 2009 so far from Star Trek. It was action packed, considering the budget the special effects are incredible. This is very much a marriage of the intent of Blair Witch and Cloverfield, only done perfectly. I did find it really annoying how he goes all selfish toward the end, but it does serve to illustrate the point of how stupid humans are, so ultimately it worked and the rest of the movie was pretty much perfect.
As someone who already hates people, I really didn't need mankind's small-mindedness put under a microscope, but it was at least done in a thought provoking yet fun (?) way.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Halloween 2 - 6/10

More of the same stuff. Shit is brutal though, I don't remember Halloween 2007 being that tough on the senses. Imaginary people, flashbacks, dream sequences are all utilized a bit too much, but doesn't matter since they all include Mike Myers murdering the shit out of everyone and everything. Let's see if PETA gets up in arms over his treatment of a dog. It's like Mike Vick times a million.

For some reason I have the image of Austin Powers on a mass killing spree in my head right now....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:16 am

Strangely enough, there is a reference to Mike Myers in the film. In one scene in which Dr. Loomis appears on a talk show with Weird Al Yankovic (yes, Weird Al Yankovic is in Halloween II), Weird Al gets confused and asks Dr. Loomis which Michael Myers he is talking about.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:32 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:I watched about 10 minutes of The Final Destination 3D and it looks extremely stupid. Like I'm a huge fan of the series and now I don't even want to watch this new piece of shit. The 3D is horrible, and I don't know if it was shot digitally or whatever but the quality looks off. It looks a little too perfect, which makes it look fake. Kinda like Public Enemies I guess. Plus the kills are really fake and weak, I saw the escalator one from the trailer and it looks like a PS1 video game.

I'll see it eventually but I'm not looking forward to it.

Wait until it comes on DVD, and invite friends over to watch it with you. Every time someone dies in an extremely stupid way, do a shot. You'll all be plastered by the end of the second reel. Twisted Evil

On another topic:

Saw Inglourious Basterds, and I must say, I really enjoyed it.

I'm glad it started with the phrase "Once Upon a Time...", because this really was a fairy tale, with no ties to actual history whatsoever. It was a welcome return to classic QT, who recaptured some of the verve and panache he had with Kill Bill and lost with Death Proof. Yes, it did drag in places, but Christophe Waltz was absolutely fucking brilliant, and I think he should definitely be nominated for Best Supporting Actor (and he may even win it). Good show all around.

8 / 10
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:28 am

I thought the scene where he eats a raw horse, contrasted with Laurie getting sick from eating meat, was really cool in the sense that it showed the difference in characters.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:56 am

mfrendo wrote:

I thought the scene where he eats a raw horse, contrasted with Laurie getting sick from eating meat, was really cool in the sense that it showed the difference in characters.

Ah... a character comparison between eating a live animal and puking. How is this going to get looked over for the Oscars. ;)
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:17 pm

I actually got the idea that Michael and Laurie were so spiritually connected that bad things (such as seizures) would start to happen once Michael starting killing. I imagine that this is explained in Zombie's four-hour cut (my best guess is that Laurie was probably a clairvoyant).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:14 pm

There's a four hour cut? How unneccesarily over-ambitious of Zombie...
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:37 am

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:There's a four hour cut? How unneccesarily over-ambitious of Zombie...
it wasn't that tough.. he just set the film speed to "super slo-mo" and played the extended live version of Free Bird as the audio track
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:14 pm

Saw an article in the paper today where Bob Weinstein mentions that Halloween 3 will be in 3D next Summer but will not be directed by Rob Zombie.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:22 pm

Two more quick reveiws:

Adam 7.5/10 Nothing special, but just a nice quirky movie about two people hitting it off that most likely never would have. Hugh Dancy is excellent as Adam, a young man with Asperger's Syndrome which is kind of like mild Autism whose father passes away leaving him on his own for the first time in his life. Rose Byrne plays the girl who moves into his building and finds his apparent quirkiness charming and then even more so when she learns of his affliction. From then on, most of the story centers on some problems in Rose's family's life involving her father who, of course, thinks there is much better in this world for her than someone like Adam. I definitely give the movie major props for not sticking to a stock or formulaic ending.

Waltz with Bashir 6/10 It was good although slow in some places (Which is probably not the best thing if your movie is only 90 minutes long). I found it much more interesting than the wife did but only for the fact that it was interesting to see a side of the story that I had never heard about the Israel/Lebanon conflict in the early 80's. The use of animation to tell the story worked fairly well especially when they inserted some actual live footage of the results of a refugee camp massacre at the very end.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Keyser Soze wrote:
Adam 7.5/10 Nothing special, but just a nice quirky movie about two people hitting it off that most likely never would have. Hugh Dancy is excellent as Adam, a young man with Asperger's Syndrome which is kind of like mild Autism whose father passes away leaving him on his own for the first time in his life. Rose Byrne plays the girl who moves into his building and finds his apparent quirkiness charming and then even more so when she learns of his affliction. From then on, most of the story centers on some problems in Rose's family's life involving her father who, of course, thinks there is much better in this world for her than someone like Adam. I definitely give the movie major props for not sticking to a stock or formulaic ending.
Interesting, I recently watched Mozart and the Whale, which was much like the The Other Sister but starring Josh Hartnett and Radha Mitchell as a couple with Asperger's (you never go full retard!), really a very interesting disorder but I wonder where the line between Asperger's ends and true autism begins.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 am

Keyser Soze wrote:

Waltz with Bashir 6/10 It was good although slow in some places (Which is probably not the best thing if your movie is only 90 minutes long). I found it much more interesting than the wife did but only for the fact that it was interesting to see a side of the story that I had never heard about the Israel/Lebanon conflict in the early 80's. The use of animation to tell the story worked fairly well especially when they inserted some actual live footage of the results of a refugee camp massacre at the very end.

Talk about opposite opinions... I didn't find it slow at all! I thought the pace perfectly suited the contemplative mood. Like The Thin Red Line this is a film about reflection, not action. And, the only thing I didn't like is the live footage that was used. It felt as if the director decided that the animated imagery wasn't poignant enough (even though it was) so he has to somehow justify it by showing us that it was real by using painful TV imagery. Such a decision shows lack of confidence in his own vision and I found it unnecessary. Hotel Rwanda didn't need to show real TV footage to get its point across.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 18 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14 ... 18  Next