The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movie Club Poll: What Should We Watch Next? ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER***

+14
packpaljs
IPKI$$
transformers2
Donte77
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
A_Roode
becs
JackO
mfrendo
leestu
BarcaRulz
silversurfer19
NSpan
18 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

THE LAST FANTAVERSE MOVIE CLUB POLL -- vote!!!!!!

Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 I_vote_lcap100%Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 2 ]
Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 Empty Re: Movie Club Poll: What Should We Watch Next? ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER***

Post by packpaljs Fri May 08, 2009 6:42 am

I threw this out in another thread but Giant came up if we wanted to get a little James Dean in here.

Nspan, what movie is your avatar from?
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Movie Club Poll:  What Should We Watch Next?   ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER*** - Page 4 Empty Re: Movie Club Poll: What Should We Watch Next? ***LAST FANTAVERSE POLL EVER***

Post by packpaljs Fri May 08, 2009 8:02 am

Also I see you brought up The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 a while back and since the remake is coming out this summer I think we should watch this in the movie club. I've never seen it but it's on my list to see, so count this as a 2nd.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 08, 2009 8:15 am

the remake is coming out in about a month.. we probably can't squeeze it onto the calendar before then--but i definitely encourage everybody to rent the original.. it's a great movie..

not sure how similar Tony Scott's version will be--but you have a good idea.. we should make a thread called "Required Viewing" (or something of the sort) where we suggest movies to watch in anticipation of upcoming theatrical releases...

for example, we're gonna try and rewatch the X-Men movies before seeing Wolverine.. same for Wrath of Khan before Star Trek.. and the Terminator trilogy before T:S.... of course, the "Required Viewing" movies wouldn't always have to be so obvious.. maybe another screening of Reservoir Dogs would be complimentary to the new Pelham
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri May 08, 2009 8:34 am

I'd pair Speed with Pelham. Also, Crimson Tide would work with Pelham (same lead, same director, both set in a transport vehicle).

Meanwhile, I will nominate these films for future consideration:
Freaks (1932)
El Topo (1971)
The Conformist (1971)
Quintet (1979)
Southern Comfort (1981)
The Decline Of Western Civilization (1981, this can be seen on Google Video and YouTube)
Blood Simple (1985)
Walker (1987)
Apartment Zero (1988)
One False Move (1992)
Kalifornia (1993)
The Doom Generation (1995)
Cube (1998)
Ginger Snaps (2000)
Avalon (2001)
Kontroll (2003, a fantasy film that's different from 2007's Control)
Control (2007, a music biopic that's different from 2003's Kontroll)
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Fri May 08, 2009 9:13 am

I 2nd Freaks, Blood Simple, One False Move
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 am

Cube was great and Ginger Snaps was pretty good. On top of that, the sequels to Cube were great and Ginger Snaps 2 was pretty good (haven't seen 3 yet). I do want to see Decline...only saw parts of 2 so far, but I hear the first is way better...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 08, 2009 10:06 am

after visiting the criterion site earlier, i noticed that not a SINGLE Coen Bros. movie has made their cut... what gives? i kinda just assumed Blood Simple would have gotten their treatment by now
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 am

Criterion should do The Coen Brothers and Sam Raimi's Crimewave. Not the best movie but an interesting one nonetheless.

Also still surprised The Darjeeling Limited's never gotten the Criterion treatment. The main reason being that Anderson's other films have gotten it.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri May 08, 2009 10:34 am

I actually quite like Crimewave, but you have to be prepared for it. Bruce Campbell is brilliant in his scenes, and some of the slapstick reminded me very much of Looney Tunes or Roger Rabbit.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 08, 2009 10:36 am

Buscemi wrote:Criterion should do The Coen Brothers and Sam Raimi's Crimewave. Not the best movie but an interesting one nonetheless.

Also still surprised The Darjeeling Limited's never gotten the Criterion treatment. The main reason being that Anderson's other films have gotten it.
i think they probably got a little flak for releasing Life Aquatic... i think the movie will age well, and the Criterion won't be considered such a huge blunder down the road.. but, at the time, it sure made those guys look like Wes Anderson's bitches
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 am

Life Aquatic is still the only Anderson movie I haven't been able to 'get' yet. Maybe with another viewing, but it just didn't really do it for me like his other movies have.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri May 08, 2009 10:39 am

The Life Aquatic is one of my 100 favorite movies. That is also the only Criterion I have to date (because it was the cheapest and easiest to find).

Meanwhile, I'd say Armageddon getting the treatment was far worse. What's next, The Island?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri May 08, 2009 10:40 am

What does to the Criterion provide movies with? Is it a better quality image, more extras?
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri May 08, 2009 10:44 am

silversurfer19 wrote:What does to the Criterion provide movies with? Is it a better quality image, more extras?

In a way, yes. They also provide releases to many films previously hard to find or only available in inferior editions. In other cases, Criterion will release a special edition release next to a studio bare bones release (such as The Rock, Rushmore, Armageddon and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button) so always look for the Criterion name for maximum satisfaction.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 08, 2009 10:47 am

nowadays, i think its more about the extras and the fancy packaging.. for a while, though, there was a CLEAR difference in the quality of the transfer in a lot of Criterion selections... in general, if you're looking for the "definitive" version of a movie, Criterion is a safe bet
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri May 08, 2009 10:48 am

So is its usually only the bare bones dvds that get the Criterion treatment? If so, I could ask for them to look at Edward Scissorhands, still one of the most paltry releases ever.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 08, 2009 10:54 am

well, i think the idea was originally to provide definitive versions of only the BEST and most important movies............... though they sorta forgot about all that somewhere along the line

though, to be fair, they have released literally hundreds of amazing movies.. i suppose i shouldn't count them out on account of a few stinkers

here's their list, in order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_DVD_releases

(The 400 Blows was their fifth DVD project.... they're up to 483 now)

Last edited by NSpan on Fri May 08, 2009 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri May 08, 2009 10:57 am

Well, I'd still like a definitive version of Edward Scissorhands, whether its Criterion or just the studio finally making a decent version.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Thu May 14, 2009 4:12 am

The Current Poll As It Stands:

Movie (Year) - # Votes - Rank on IMDB's Top 250

12 Angry Men (1957) - 4 Votes - #9
Casablanca (1942) - 1 Vote - #11
The Pianist (2002) - 1 Vote - #56
Downfall (2004) - 1 Vote - #80
Metropolis (1927) - 1 Vote - #81
Night of the Hunter (1955) - 1 Vote - #158
A Man for All Seasons (1966) - 1 Vote - Unranked
Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959) - 1 Vote - Unranked
On the Waterfront (1954) - 0 Votes - #101
The Seventh Seal (1957) - 0 Votes - #103

so.... we're indecisive bastards.. but indecisive bastards with good taste.. if 12 Angry Men gets the next vote, i'll probably just put it up on the calendar, drop the two with 0 votes, and runoff the rest
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Thu May 14, 2009 4:18 am

There. I voted for 12 Angry Men.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu May 14, 2009 4:20 am

Me too!
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Fri May 15, 2009 12:07 am

Nspan, do we know what noms are coming up, I figured we'll probably go back to do two newer movies, but didn't know how many spots we needed to fill if any.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 15, 2009 1:57 am

as it stands, i'll add up to four new nominations in the next poll.. depending on how this poll turns out, i suppose that number could be higher (if Plan 9 and Casablanca are still at 0 when we call this round)..

in other words, any movie with votes will move on.. any movie with no votes is dropped.. and i try to start fresh polls with 10 (seconded) nominations..

so if you got something in mind, throw it out there! i know there were some rumblings about Giant.. i've personally never seen Passion of the Christ.. some others that spring to mind are Bad Lieutenant, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters, Stray Dog, Grand Illusion, Delicatessen, The Sword of Doom, La Dolce Vita, Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, and You're Gonna Miss Me... (these aren't actual nominations, just some ideas to get the ball rollin' again)

if there any movies that got nominated and seconded but, for some reason, never made the polls--lemme know.. i haven't done this intentionally
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Fri May 15, 2009 4:15 am

I would 2nd Grand Illusion, La Dolce Vita, Delicatssen
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri May 15, 2009 4:45 am

August will be notable month for Movie Club, as it will have three entries.. for such an occasion, maybe something nontraditional will be appropriate for the third entry (aka the winner of NEXT poll)..

Plan 9 might actually fit the bill--assuming it garners a little interest by the next poll
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next