The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Streak for the Fantaverse! (Week 4 Game on Page 5, Week 3 Standings Page 1!)

+16
undeadmonkey
Mannix2121
BarcaRulz
SuperShaan
A_Roode
Donte77
TheJman
Alyson
leestu
Keyser Soze
JackO
mfrendo
transformers2
Buscemi
geezer9687
W
20 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Streak for the Fantaverse! (Week 4 Game on Page 5, Week 3 Standings Page 1!) - Page 6 Empty Re: Streak for the Fantaverse! (Week 4 Game on Page 5, Week 3 Standings Page 1!)

Post by mfrendo Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:41 pm

You may have gotten lucky not picking, A_Roode. Looks like the majority (myself included) picked Revolutionary Road over Gran Torino, which did not happen as far as estimates are showing...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Streak for the Fantaverse! (Week 4 Game on Page 5, Week 3 Standings Page 1!) - Page 6 Empty Re: Streak for the Fantaverse! (Week 4 Game on Page 5, Week 3 Standings Page 1!)

Post by A_Roode Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:04 pm

I probably would have made that pick along with the rest of you so I'll be quiet and grateful, *lol* I haven't met anyone yet who is really looking forward to seeing 'Revolutionary Road.' Perhaps there is more to the movie than the trailer suggests, but I don't have even the slightest desire to see a movie that tells me my life is over the minute I get married, buy a house, put up the white picket fence and settle into a job for the next 3-4 decades that I hate. Yikes! I'm not sure, especially as the economy continues to travel south full speed ahead, that people searching for a few minutes of escape want to see it on a big screen in front of them either.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 pm

You're probably right A_Roode, but I am in the minority that really wants to see it. Kate Winslet was great in the Reader, and I'd like to see how she does in this one. Also, Sam Mendes is a pretty solid director, and I usually enjoy films that question the "normal" life, and all that goes along with it.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Count me as one who does not have any desire to see Titanic 2 or What Would Have Happened if Rose Moved her Fat Ass Over and Let Jack on the Floating Door.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:42 am

I want to see Revolutionary Road. I also find the subject matter interesting, questioning 'normality', if its right or wrong or if it can even be thought of in right or wrong terms. Also I think the comparison to Titanic is unfair, just because it has the same actors.

Even if the subject doesn't interest me, I love seeing great performances film. For example, I didn't like No Country, but I still think it was worth watching once for the great performances, specially Brolin. I kinda feel the same way about Doubt, I'm not interested in the subject matter, but I want to see Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, and P.S. Hoffman play off each other.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:59 am

I like Kate Winslet, Geez.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:12 am

I'm not really comparing them, I just think its hilarious to think about considering the plot of the film. I think it would be hilarious if they survived, got married and had a miserable life together.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:27 am

It would be better than Four Christmases.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:34 am

Buscemi wrote:It would be better than Four Christmases.

I have home movies of my dogs that are better than Four Christmases so that's not really saying much.

These are two of them

[img]Streak for the Fantaverse! (Week 4 Game on Page 5, Week 3 Standings Page 1!) - Page 6 733627291_07d1e1e9f91[/img]

Ferris is on the left and Bueller is on the right
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:53 am

So when you call him, do you do it in a monotone for Bueller? And does he get annoyed when you call him "Anybody?"?
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyser Soze Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:57 am

Donte77 wrote:So when you call him, do you do it in a monotone for Bueller? And does he get annoyed when you call him "Anybody?"?

You know it!!!!!!!!
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:22 am

geezer9687 wrote:Count me as one who does not have any desire to see Titanic 2 or What Would Have Happened if Rose Moved her Fat Ass Over and Let Jack on the Floating Door.

Well she did tell him to flutter kick to try and keep warm, didn't she?

No

Love your second post too. We're sharing the same sense of humour today!
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:52 am

Everyone who played last time went down quite a bit...due to Torino taking Rev Road in PTA (which no one, myself included, saw coming). A_Roode is in the lead still with 8 (with the Duchess question STILL pending...numbers.com doesn't have dvd sales done yet), and W is at 7, since neither played. Here's the standings for those who did. If you didn't play, your score from previous posts (I believe they are on page 7) will remain the same. Here are the new totals:

undeadmonkey - 4
mfrendo - 2
numbersix - 2
busc - 2
supershaan - 2
jacko - 0
geez - 0
keyser - 0

I'll have questions for next week done earlier this time...if anyone has any ideas for some, let me know.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:35 am

undeadmonkey wrote:I want to see Revolutionary Road. I also find the subject matter interesting, questioning 'normality', if its right or wrong or if it can even be thought of in right or wrong terms. Also I think the comparison to Titanic is unfair, just because it has the same actors.

Even if the subject doesn't interest me, I love seeing great performances film. For example, I didn't like No Country, but I still think it was worth watching once for the great performances, specially Brolin. I kinda feel the same way about Doubt, I'm not interested in the subject matter, but I want to see Amy Adams, Meryl Streep, and P.S. Hoffman play off each other.

With almost 100 pages left till I'm done with the book, I think you've summed RR, quite nicely. It is more about wants, desires, and how it conflicts with society's idea of what has to be done or what needs to be done at a certain point in one person's life. This is no, unhappy marriage, stupid suburbanite who only wished to live a fuller life tale. I personally am really excited to see it because from the descriptions given by Yates in the first chapter, Leo and Kate are perfectly casted. I am really interesting how they turn the characters though, since both of the roles seem like serious Oscar bait and I am surprised that Leo isn't getting that much attention.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:05 pm

With all seriousness, Kate Winslet's acting in Revolutionary Road may be the best acting I have ever seen, and is, at the very least, in the top ten performances I've seen EVER. Especially the last half-hour, when she really shines. After this and The Reader, I don't really know if any other actress' can compete in general (though, after seeing Rachel Getting Married, I think Anne Hathaway may be on her way...).
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:39 pm

Blarg.

If you guys think her performance is so terrific, I'll hold my nose and go watch the movie. I try to see every performance that gets nominated and, despite my previously stated misgivings, I'll add this one to the list. And start laughing now because I'll probably come back singing it's praises, *lol*
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Let's put it this way: when I went to see Rev. Road, I missed the first five minutes. So, I stayed for the next showing, just to watch the five minutes that I missed, and ended up watching the whole movie again. I don't think I have ever watched a movie twice back to back before (hell, I usually can't listen to the same cd twice back to back). I thought it was that perfect. I ended up seeing it once from his POV and once from hers. Which will probably make it number one for my year list...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 am

Okay, so I'm trying to make this weeks questions right now. Does anyone have a good place to check tracking and the like for upcoming releases?
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6