The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance

+23
Chienfantome
W
IPKI$$
johnErle
Donte77
SuperShaan
J.I.
becs
geezer9687
Keyser Soze
mfrendo
NSpan
silversurfer19
numbersix_99
lillylovelost
Alyson
A_Roode
Buscemi
JackO
BanksIsDaFuture
undeadmonkey
BarcaRulz
transformers2
27 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance - Page 3 Empty Re: An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance

Post by Buscemi Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:23 am

Well it's better than taking small children to Rambo and Halloween (things I've witnessed over the years).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance - Page 3 Empty Re: An Idea Part 2 Ratings Bonzana Continued and Back with a stinging vengance

Post by Keyser Soze Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Does anyone actually want to see a write up/review of Seven Pounds because doing so would give away to many spoilers? I'll put one up if folks actually don't mind the "twist" being given away.
Keyser Soze
Keyser Soze
Danny Ocean
Danny Ocean

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1284

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:04 am

A movie I saw earlier this month but forgot to add:

Synedoche, New York ***/****

It's Charlie Kaufman up to his usual tricks and in his directorial debut, he does a good job of taking us on a long, strange journey throughout thirty-plus years of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character and his successes and failures, mostly failures. The film has good performances, great makeup and Kaufman doesn't make the mistakes that many first-time directors make (such as being too flashy and putting ego ahead of talent).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:01 am

Let's put it this way, Keyser. I didn't go see it because I heard it was sappy and Will Smith movies usually look better in the trailer than they turn out to be. If I'm wrong, and I should see it, please tell me so and don't post spoilers. If I'm right (and I'm pretty sure I am), then please give me a review with all the works...

Finally hit my 100th post on the new site...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:46 pm

I dunno, I guess I kind of disagree, the movie itself gives everything away in like the first 10 minutes, the rest is just developing it out and rationalizing it.

Seven Pounds 6/10
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:57 am

becs wrote:I dunno, I guess I kind of disagree, the movie itself gives everything away in like the first 10 minutes, the rest is just developing it out and rationalizing it.

Seven Pounds 6/10

My parents and my brother went to see it yesterday and their review of the movie was exactly what you said Becs. I asked them if it was worth going to see for myself and I didn't get any enthusiastic votes of confidence. Thinking I'll pass on it.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:03 pm

Gran Torino: 5/10

Starts off well (and rather humously) but turns into self-righteous crap by end. It's more hackneyed, sentimental guff along the lines of Million Dollar Baby.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:33 pm

I'm still looking forward to seeing Gran Torino. I came to the conclusion recently that I like every film Clint has directed the last few years quite a bit, so I'll give it a shot. I hope I don't come to the same conclusion...

Today I watched The Films of Kenneth Anger, Vol. 2. Very different stuff, but good. At such a high level that I didn't fully understand alot of it to be honest...but it evoked alot of feeling that goes beyond the average narrative film.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:04 pm

Nothing Like The Holidays **.5/****

This was a nice little two hours. The plot was a little thin and Debra Messing was miscast as John Leguizamo's wife but the rest of the cast was very good, especially Luis Guzman and Alfred Molina. And plus I enjoy seeing films about characters from different sections of major cities, this one being set in the Puerto Rican-based Humboldt Park area of Chicago.

Happy-Go-Lucky ***/****

Sally Hawkins was great in this. Her character is one that is hard to hate and she even makes you wish that you could be in kindergarten again so you could have her for a teacher. She's just someone that will always make you smile when she is onscreen. As for the rest of the film, it's like Leigh's Life Is Sweet only not as dark. A little long and slow in places but Hawkins makes it worth watching.

Yes Man ***/****

It may be a lot like Liar Liar but it's still an entertaining film. Jim Carrey is in comedic mode once again and doesn't fail to deliver and some of his antics are really entertaining. Also good is Terence Stamp as the self-help guru who forces Carrey into always saying yes and Rhys Darby as Carrey's Harry Potter-obsessed boss. As I mentioned, there really isn't much of a plot but it is a very good plot.

The Day The Earth Stood Still */****

Here is probably Unneeded Remake #257,641. The 1951 sci-fi classic gets updated badly by horror movie hack Scott Derrickson and Klaatu is badly portrayed by Mr. Whoa himself, Keanu Reeves. The scenes with Gort (now named G.O.R.T.) feel like they were taken from another movie and the scenes of destruction make it feel like that you're watching The Day After Tomorrow again plus the special effects are just bad. Jennifer Connelly is good as usual but even she can't save the film. Please skip it, even if it's playing in IMAX.

Marley and Me ***/****

The dog steals the show. Even if he's the world's worst dog, you can't help but love him anyway. The film is more like the classic dog films such as Old Yeller and Benji instead of the newer dog films such as Beverly Hills Chihuahua, which is great for the children and a relief for the adults. Though some scenes are rather adult (such as Jennifer Aniston's character suffering from post-partum depression), the film is still perfect family entertainment. And if you don't have children, just go see it for the dog. But just in case, bring some tissues.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:53 pm

Buscemi wrote:

Happy-Go-Lucky ***/****

Sally Hawkins was great in this. Her character is one that is hard to hate and she even makes you wish that you could be in kindergarten again so you could have her for a teacher. She's just someone that will always make you smile when she is onscreen. As for the rest of the film, it's like Leigh's Life Is Sweet only not as dark. A little long and slow in places but Hawkins makes it worth watching.

For me, this was one of the worst movies I've seen this year, it was so completely and utterly annoying I was tempted to have a little road rage myself after seeing it. One of the few flicks I wish I hadn't wasted my time with this year, luckily I saw it for free, but still. The trailer was excellent, the film didn't deliver.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:31 pm

Buscemi wrote:
The Day The Earth Stood Still */****

Here is probably Unneeded Remake #257,641. The 1951 sci-fi classic gets updated badly by horror movie hack Scott Derrickson and Klaatu is badly portrayed by Mr. Whoa himself, Keanu Reeves. The scenes with Gort (now named G.O.R.T.) feel like they were taken from another movie and the scenes of destruction make it feel like that you're watching The Day After Tomorrow again plus the special effects are just bad. Jennifer Connelly is good as usual but even she can't save the film. Please skip it, even if it's playing in IMAX.

Keanu wasnt too bad, he seemed like an alien to me. Also I have to disagree with the special effects. There wasn't anything new or groundbreaking, but that doesnt make it bad, but I have to agree the movie wasn't good. Throughout the whole film, I kept feeling like i've seen it already.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:11 am

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - 8/10

A quite beautiful movie which further explored Fincher's creative genius. Is there a genre this man cannot excel at. Pitt once again proved to me that he always was more than just a pretty face, his recent outings really have shown his critics that he is a quite capable actor. The effects for the movie are astonishing, they are handled so well that they fit seamlessly into the movie without ever hindering the progression of the story. I invited my parents and (now) in laws to watch it and both sets of mothers came out in buckets of tears. I don't think they get out often, but it was most definitely a movie which truly bursts with emotions and was a a delight to watch.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:27 am

I saw Valkyrie the other day...****/*****

I thought it was good, although the accents were way off. It was quick paced and didn't waste time, which I appreciated. All the sets seemed to be historically accurate, but they could have spent another 10 min or so on character development. That and the accents are why I took off a star. Otherwise, better than I expected. Gonna try to get to Frost/Nixon today...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:05 am

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 10/10

Surfer summed it up pretty exquisitely, but he is a little bit tougher to please than I am. A truly beautiful film that will move you, teach you, maybe even change you. Everything Surfer said was accurate. Those who say that the trailer gave away the whole movie, wow, you really could not be more off the mark. Very different from Fincher's past work, but he tackles the film flawlessly. A must see.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 am

Sorry, Geez. I hope the 8 doesn't sound like I was even a little dissapointed by the movie, it was almost perfect. But when I consider that I found TDK and Wall-E to be better movies this year alone (not to mention every other release I have ever watched) an 8 seems about right. I was hoping it would be brilliant and I really was not let down at all.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:15 am

That's not what I was saying at all. I was simply stating that to get a ten from you, its harder than it is to get a ten from me. I loved TDK more, but I have no problem giving them both tens. To me, they are both brilliant enough and enjoyable enough to warrant tens. I'm not very hard on films, and if I give a film less than a six, well that means I thought it was a rotten piece of shit. Just a difference in the value of our rating systems was all that I was getting at. We probably felt the same about the movie, but in your system that warrants an 8, and in mine, a 10.

I think of my system kinda like an ABC grading scale, with a ten being an A, nine a B, and below a six means that the movie failed.

And I don't grade on a curve, meaning I don't judge a film against other films when grading it, just on its own merits.

Last edited by geezer9687 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:18 am

You are correct, there. I very rarely give a 10. TDK is the only movie to have received it this year, and before that it was probably Spidey 2. If a movie gets an 8 or above though it is a movie I absolutely adore. Above a six is still respectable, while anything less than five is not really worth looking at.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:47 am

silversurfer19 wrote:You are correct, there. I very rarely give a 10. TDK is the only movie to have received it this year, and before that it was probably Spidey 2. If a movie gets an 8 or above though it is a movie I absolutely adore. Above a six is still respectable, while anything less than five is not really worth looking at.

I'm really buzzed about it now, pity it's out here in Feb. There's a DVD screener available I can download, but because of Zodiac I think I'll pledge my respect to Fincher and pay for a cinema ticket.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:58 am

So what does Button have that Zodiac didn't? Besides a good release date and a more friendly rating.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:20 am

It wasn't boring. It wasn't forgettable. The acting was 100 times better. The story was a ton more interesting. I could keep going...
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 am

So you're not much for a good true crime thriller, Geez? I understand, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I should be getting around to seeing it soon. Well that, Bedtime Stories, The Spirit, Slumdog Millionaire, Seven Pounds, The Tale Of Despereaux, Doubt and Tell No One (after six months, it's finally coming here).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:04 am

I think if they had cut out about 45 minutes of it, it would have been good.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 am

Well, I've been gone for awhile. Time to catch up.

Let's see, my last min-review was for Cadillac Records. Let's start there.

The Day The Earth Stood Still - 2/10

Extremely slow and boring, which was not expected for a supposedly big budget winter tentpole release. I don't think they could've picked a more bland pair of leads in Jennifer Connolly and Keanu Reeves, even Jaden Smith channeling Dakota Fanning in War of The Worlds isn't interesting enough to care about. The SFX were passable, but it's nothing we haven't seen in the last 10 years. The ending was ridiculous and seemed like the writer figured out he was rambling on about nothing and just tacked on the first shoddy ending he could think of. Not even worthy of an IMAX release.

Seven Pounds - 9/10

Yes, it is extremely slow. But unlike TDTESS, it's slow in an engaging way. It is confusing, but instead of turning you off, it pulls you into the entire story efficiently. Will Smith once again proves that he is one of the best actors alive, by making a flawed character likeable and empathizeable (is that a word?). And the chemistry between him and Rosario Dawson is mind boggling, it seems like more of a documentary of a real life couple endlessly in love than a motion picture. One of the best character dramas of the year.

Yes Man - 8/10

Jim Carrey is FINALLY back, with his manic mannerisms and over the top comedic stylings. This movie was funny as hell. Rhys Darby is great as his awkward boss looking for friendship from Carrey. Zooey Deschanel (sp) is cute as a goddamn poodle, but doesn't add anything special to the movie. Terrence Stamp is great in his few minutes ("Terrence will come to the molehill!!"). Funnier than the overrated Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I'll tell ya that.

I really feel like I've seen more movies since then, but I can't remember. I gotta catch up on all the Christmas releases, I just have to find time.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 am

10/10 for Benjamin Button

It was awesome. Possibly my favorite of the year.

5/10 for Seven Pounds

It was just ok, doubt I would ever see it again. Better than Hancock though.

6/10 for Valkyrie

Good one, was actually entertaining even though I knew the ending, which usually spoils it for me. The american accents didnt bother me either.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:22 am

Interesting piece of trivia for Banks: the director of Forgetting Sarah Marshall co-wrote Yes Man. Just wanted to throw that out to you.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next