The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New MPAA ratings (2 that suprised me)

+3
IPKI$$
NSpan
J.I.
7 posters

Go down

New MPAA ratings (2 that suprised me) Empty New MPAA ratings (2 that suprised me)

Post by J.I. Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 am

9 9/9/09 PG-13 violence and scary images
The Invention of Lying (formerly This Side of the Truth) 9/25/09 PG-13 language including some sexual material and a drug reference
X-Men Origins: Wolverine 5/1/09 PG-13 intense sequences of action and violence, and some partial nudity
Up 5/29/09 PG some peril and action

I thought 9 would get PG considering that it is animated and about rag dolls so the violence wouldn't be much, and definately suprised by Up, mostly because I thought that it had already been rated, but only one Pixar movie has been rated PG and we knew that was coming. And finally Wolverine is rated.
J.I.
J.I.
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

New MPAA ratings (2 that suprised me) Empty Re: New MPAA ratings (2 that suprised me)

Post by NSpan Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:57 am

good news for 9.. maybe not in terms of our game.. but i'm glad they're not holding back for the kids
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

New MPAA ratings (2 that suprised me) Empty Re: New MPAA ratings (2 that suprised me)

Post by IPKI$$ Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:39 am

That's exactly what I was thinking. I saw the trailer at work yesterday and thought it looked a little watered-down, but perhaps it's not.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:06 am

Maybe just the trailer was watered-down, I was thinking about drafting it in the full year on my next pick, but now i dont think i will. It'll definitely have a limited audience. I think it'll top out at $9M
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:32 pm

I was definitely expecting a PG-13 on 9. If you've seen the short film, you can't expect anything lower on its remake.

Meanwhile, I expected a G on Up considering the trailer and the ad campaign makes you think that it's rated G. But I also remember that Bolt was G even though it probably should have been PG so it may simply be the MPAA being weird.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 pm

I really see no difference in a G vs. PG rating. I think they should scrap the G rating altogether. I would never not let my kid see a PG rated movie.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:44 pm

Yeah, I'm with you, Geez. Maybe when they first introduced the ratings there was a noticeable difference, but now they're pretty much interchangeable.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:55 am

Poltergeist is PG.. i probably wouldn't take my 4 year old to that.. but, i'm with ya, Geez.. i doubt even more discerning parents give a shit between G and PG nowadays
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 am

But when Poltergeist was released, did the PG-13 rating exist?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:36 am

bah! details, shmeetails
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:49 pm

That is the hilarious thing about these ratings. Movie from 15-20 years ago that are rated PG would definitely be PG-13 now.

Earth Girls are Easy, Poltergeist (as you mentioned), The Indiana Jones Trilogy (yes TRILOGY), etc are all PG.

I mention Earth Girls because our local library has this movie and I am friends with the librarians. We were talking about ratings (after I watched the movie F*%K: A Documentary) and she told me this lady checked out the movie and brought it back furious that there were very sexual references throughout the movie and that she got the movie because it was rated PG and it wasn't apporpriate for her kids. Ummm, the title is Earth Girls are EASY. What part of that title would lead you to rent this movie for your children???

Earth Girls are Easy to beat at checkers)
or maybe
Earth Girls are Easy to buy flowers for
Sure.

But Earth Girls are Easy? Nice parenting. Just let the ratings board do your thinking for you.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Sixteen Candles would totally be an R today, despite the MPAA loosening its restrictions on female nudity.

Spaceballs would be a PG-13 today due to Dark Helmet saying fuck.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down