The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

+25
BarcaRulz
IPKI$$
Swedgin!
Shrykespeare
Keyser Soze
numbersix_99
geezer9687
RonBurgundy
becs
mfrendo
A_Roode
Donte77
Alyson
BanksIsDaFuture
Synestro
silversurfer19
undeadmonkey
W
lillylovelost
JackO
Buscemi
MisterInformative
transformers2
leestu
NSpan
29 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 4 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by transformers2 Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:39 pm

i surprisngly really liked Jumper. I can see why you didnt like the acting wasnt very good with the exception of Jamie Bell. But it entertained the hell out of me.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now" - Page 4 Empty Re: what are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or somewheres about close to "right now"

Post by Buscemi Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm

On Wednesday I watched RoboCop and that's probably why my avatar and signature are now Clarence Boddicker.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Over the last few days I have been watching The United States Of Leland, 8mm, Nightwatch (the one with Ewan McGregor), some My So Called Life and some League Of Gentlemen Series 2. I have enjoyed pretty much every minute of all of them.

I know Nightwatch is a little predictive and not even nearly as good as its Danish original, but I still enjoy it. I had never seen Leland before, but it further enhanced my opinion of Ryan Gosling. It had a fantastic supporting cast too, as well as a brilliantly executed script. One of my favourite finds of the last few years, I'm sure it will be close to making my top 100 list next time it is compiled. 8mm is one of my few Joel Schumacher films I can stomach. I actually enjoy this movie, despite Cage's usual awful acting. Joaquin Phoenix is mesmerising in his role, while the film itself is an intriguing one.

The two series I have watched over the last couple of days are two of the best I have ever seen. I adore The League Of Gentlemen since it first aired in the UK over ten years ago now, while My So Called Life is a program my wife (man, if feels weird to say that now...) put me onto. I'm very glad she did, I can't believe I missed it first time round. So all in all a few days of very pleasant viewing.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:53 am

Buscemi wrote:Do they explain why all the dialogue is so much quieter than the songs (or why you have to turn it up louder than usual just so you can listen to what the characters are saying)?

If that was a tongue in cheek rhetorical question disregard the rest of my post.

Answer: Sort of. It is more that they discuss about how they wanted to do something no one had done before and make the music the most important part of the movie, so when it was screened at Cannes they installed a better sound system just for this movie. They thought it was a successful move so they did the same thing at most of the cinemas it was screened at on initial release.
Also, being a pedantic smart ass, technically there is really no dialogue. Dialogue is 'a conversation between two people'. There were times where characters were talking to someone but the other person did not respond.
lol!
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by leestu Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:33 am

Surfer: It has been a bit remiss of me, but I haven't taken the oppurtunity to pass on my well wishes to you yet so I will do it now:
Congratulations on your recent wedding. I hope it was a memorable, beautiful day and that everything went perfectly. sunny

I have seen a few episodes of The League Of Gentlemen here and there, and it has to be the strangest, most offbeat show I have ever watched. I don't know if I like it or not but it intrigued me. I think I need to watch a whole season, or at least some episodes in order, before I can form an opinion. scratch
leestu
leestu
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by Synestro Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Gran Torino 8.5/10
Tenacious D & the Pick of Destiny 6/10
Ironman (3rd rewatch)- originally had at 9/10 bumping to 10/10. Highly rewatchable, RDJ's performance is never annoying, always enjoyable.
The Incredible Hulk- 7/10
The Legend (of Fong Sai Yuk)- 8/10
Bedtime Stories- 7/10 suprisingly really good FAMILY movie from Sandler

Saw a trailer for G-Force- will it make money?--yeah. Will it suck?--yeah. Still pissing me off because this is about Guinea Pigs and not the Battle of the Planets GForce--Hell Yeah!!!
Synestro
Synestro
Al Czervick
Al Czervick

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:39 pm

Slumdog Millionaire 10/10

I think that's my 4th perfect score for a movie that came out this year. I would recommend everyone to go out and see it. I remember reading what big deal it was that it got a R rating. Let me just say, there are more people shot in the first scene of The Dark Knight, then there were in this movie. It did not deserve an R. Either way though, It was really good!
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:00 am

The trailer for G-Force was the dumbest thing ive ever seen. It looks so awful.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:49 am

boy, Hancock was really really bad.

it's hard to tell whether the original concept was half-baked or if the studio stepped in and compromised the "vision"--but, either way, the final product fizzles big time... just because they tried to do more than your average superhero movie doesn't mean they succeeded.. Peter Berg (director) should've taken this project and given it some direction.. as it is, Hancock tries to be three different movies at once.. and strikes out..

on a semi-related note, just last night i was saying that eventually somebody will adapt Dune into a quality epic film (or series) on the scale of Star Wars or LotR.. it hasn't been done yet--but someday.. sadly, i see that Berg is slated for a 2010 big-budget adaptation.......... looks like we'll have to keep waiting for my prediction to come true
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:07 am

I also saw the G-Force trailer (with Bedtime Stories). I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I couldn't believe how bad it really looked. And it's going to be in 3-D. Yay, we get to spend $11.00 for something that not worth the plastic used to make the glasses.

And it also contains another thing I hate: not using real animals in real animal situations* or making the talking animals look fake. Though his eyes were CGI along with a few effects, Bugsy the guinea pig was cute. These CGI animals in G-Force aren't cute. Instead, they are an eyesore.

*-The animals in The Golden Compass don't count. They were beings that could morph into animals. Different thing completely.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:09 am

NSpan wrote:boy, Hancock was really really bad.

it's hard to tell whether the original concept was half-baked or if the studio stepped in and compromised the "vision"--but, either way, the final product fizzles big time... just because they tried to do more than your average superhero movie doesn't mean they succeeded.. Peter Berg (director) should've taken this project and given it some direction.. as it is, Hancock tries to be three different movies at once.. and strikes out..

on a semi-related note, just last night i was saying that eventually somebody will adapt Dune into a quality epic film (or series) on the scale of Star Wars or LotR.. it hasn't been done yet--but someday.. sadly, i see that Berg is slated for a 2010 big-budget adaptation.......... looks like we'll have to keep waiting for my prediction to come true

I blame Akiva Goldsman's rewrites (he also produced and made a cameo, so he managed to make three things worse) and the last-minute edits to get a PG-13.

And I believe that no matter how more accurate Berg's Dune will be, it still won't be as good as Lynch's version.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:52 am

Right now, I'm half-watching Alvin & The Chipmunks. Man, do those voices get annoying really fast.

I also watched Jumper on HBO along with everyone else. It was entertaining enough, it would've been 100x better had Hayden Christiansen not been involved at all.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Encounters at the End of the World is must-see for Herzog fanatics.. though it's pretty uneven compared to his better work.. he is so clearly fascinated with PEOPLE that it seems futile for him to even attempt to film nature by itself.. despite this, the handful of scenes that focused on non-human stuff were the highlights for me (ironic that the penguin scene is one of the most moving in the film after Herzog himself makes such a point of not wanting to make "another penguin documentary").. i definitely would've been less impressed with the movie had we rented it on DVD.. on blu-ray, the beautiful photography (and surprisingly good sound) make up for its somewhat stilted pacing.. as with any series of vignettes, there are highs and lows.. this is worth watching for the highs, and worth sitting through the lows if you can catch it in a theater or on a big screen.. for non-herzog fans, i'd recommend they start elsewhere

The Strangers is just as good the second time around.. I know i'm in the minority for having even enjoyed it the first place.. but this is a good example of old-school horror.. no big twists (damn you M. Night Shamalamadingdong!!), no fancy over-the-top FX, and (thank god) no japanese ghosts.. its suspenseful even on repeat viewings, which is more than you can say for 95% of modern "gotcha" horror.. the so-called extended version is almost identical to the theatrical release--though the extra couple minutes of footage doesn't do any harm.. my only complaint is with the presence of Glenn from Always Sunny.. i wasn't familiar with the show when i saw this in the theater, so his character (and his fate) were much more fitting with the tone of the film.. now that i immediately associate the actor with pooping in bed, picking up chicks at abortion rallies, and recreational crack--its much harder to take his role seriously.. damn shame..

Journey to the Center of the Earth was about what you'd expect.. garbage, yes--but i'm not inclined to comment on movies that are clearly aimed at entertaining children.. it is what it is, ya know?

Iron Man just keeps getting better and better.. one of the best endings to a movie EVER.. the "climactic" battle is the least interesting part of the film, but it doesn't last long--so it's ok. can't wait for a sequel.. go Favreau!
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:10 pm

I still find Funny Games a better film than The Strangers, simply because Funny Games doesn't have a musical score and therefore the film is more disturbing and intense. Plus, Funny Games had a better cast and director.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:09 pm

See, I like old school horror, and scary movies in general, and I HATED the Strangers. I was really looking forward to it, and then walked out of the theater pissed. It's just people knocking on doors over and over. The dude in the house had a gun, and the killers had knives...why's he so scared? Then, when he got into position, he made a mistake and left his perfect position to enter into a vulnerable one. Just no thought process was entered into...

The other reason it bugged me was that it wasn't really a movie, but just one long scene from a movie. I did like Funny Games though...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:54 am

I saw Edward Scissorhand last night for the first time. I thought it was interesting, nothing great though.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:04 am

I watched Cannibal!: The Musical earlier. The "Let's Build A Snowman" death scene is officially right there with the Singing Telegram death scene for funniest death scenes ever.

And another good scene:

-"Hey, you're cutting into his butt!"
-"Well what sort of meat do you want?"
-"Well not butt!"
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:33 am

Watched Get Smart, Step Brothers, Irreversible in the last few days.

3.5, 3.0, 3.0. Nothing great nothing terrible.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:35 am

undeadmonkey wrote:I saw Edward Scissorhand last night for the first time. I thought it was interesting, nothing great though.

That is somewhat of a travesty! Its a beautiful classic, though I can understand the appeal may not reach everyone.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:57 am

Donte77 wrote:Watched Get Smart, Step Brothers, Irreversible in the last few days.

3.5, 3.0, 3.0. Nothing great nothing terrible.

Irreversible seems like your type of movie. I'm surprised that you only thought it was alright.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:37 am

Gran Torino - 10/10

I actually just finished it (as in, within the last 30 min). I really liked it. I came to the realization lately that he is one of my favorite directors, and my favorite director for the 2000's: Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby, The Changeling, Gran Torino are all great movies, and most were the best movie of that year (got Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima on Blu-ray, but haven't watched them yet). He's making films now that are better than his films before, which were already (mostly) top-notch. Gran Torino is excellent, and kind of lingers with you afterward. It is especially fitting given the characters actions, in how it fits with Clint's main character types in the past. It's kind of like he puts what he's learned about things throughout his life into film. Definitely worth seeing. Both this and the Changeling will be in my top ten this year.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:43 am

I'm getting The Wackness from Netflix tomorrow. Has anyone seen it besides Banks? Ive heard its really good. Also cant wait till The Wrestler comes to my area on Jan 16 im gonna have to see Notorious and that in the same weekend.

.... Anyway. Frendo Gran Torino is really that good? i passed on seeing it the other day. It looks pretty good but the "get off my lawn" part of the trailer had be rolling in laughter.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:55 am

You mean Clint's "aging Batman" voice? Haha.

That said, I'll see Gran Torino next weekend, probably.
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 am

transformers2 wrote:I'm getting The Wackness from Netflix tomorrow. Has anyone seen it besides Banks? Ive heard its really good. Also cant wait till The Wrestler comes to my area on Jan 16 im gonna have to see Notorious and that in the same weekend.

.... Anyway. Frendo Gran Torino is really that good? i passed on seeing it the other day. It looks pretty good but the "get off my lawn" part of the trailer had be rolling in laughter.

I saw The Wackness in theatres and really liked it. That and Charlie Bartlett are examples on how to make a really good teen film.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:26 am

becs wrote:
undeadmonkey wrote:I saw Edward Scissorhand last night for the first time. I thought it was interesting, nothing great though.

That is somewhat of a travesty! Its a beautiful classic, though I can understand the appeal may not reach everyone.

Dont get me wrong, I liked it. Its just that, I was expecting more a story about how this 'different person' helps people let go of tradition and change for the better, than a love story.

transformers2 wrote:I'm getting The Wackness from Netflix tomorrow. Has anyone seen it besides Banks? Ive heard its really good. Also cant wait till The Wrestler comes to my area on Jan 16 im gonna have to see Notorious and that in the same weekend.

I saw it and I thought it was ok. I could see people, that grew up in this era, enjoying it far more.
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next