The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official NFL Season Thread

+7
BanksIsDaFuture
geezer9687
transformers2
A_Roode
Shrykespeare
Buscemi
W
11 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Official NFL Season Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official NFL Season Thread

Post by geezer9687 Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:22 am

We'll see, I just disagree with you, but hey, that's nothing new Smile
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Official NFL Season Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Official NFL Season Thread

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:40 am

Some players become great out of nowhere when they're given a chance. Aaron Rodgers would've never gotten a chance to be a great starting QB had Brett Favre not left. Tony Romo would've never gotten a shot if Drew Bledsoe hadn't stunk up Dallas. To jump to another sport, Tracy McGrady would've never been as big and as good as he was had he not been traded to Orlando and got from under Vince Carter's shadow.

I think this is Hixon's turn.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:00 am

You have the Seahawks winning the NFC West too? And the Niners only winning TWO games? Holy excrement...

I'm thinking of placing a bet on one of those sports betting sites. Not a lot, just a few bucks. Let me get you guys' opinion... what game do you think will be the biggest blowout? I personally think it will be the Pats rolling over Buffalo, but what do you guys think?
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

http://www.thelatestmoviereviews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm not sure that the Pats will roll over Buffalo! How's that for utterly unhelpful? Very Happy
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm

I just placed a couple of bets yesterday, season bets though. I bet the niners under 6 wins at +140, the Packers over 9 wins at even money, and the Packers to win the Super Bowl at 24-1.

My pick of the week for this week would be the Eagles -1 over the Panthers. They should win and they are only giving one point. I'll probably make that bet.

And yes, Shryke, I also have the Seahawks winning the abysmal NFC West. They have looked strong in preseason, Hasselbeck looks healthy and I think Housh is in for a good season. That said, I still think they are an 8-8 team. Your Cardinals are putting all their eggs in the "Kurt Warner can't get hurt" basket. I don't like that. I also don't like Anquan Boldin being a whiny bitch and wanting out of town. On top of that, the Super Bowl runner up almost always fails to make the playoffs the following year. It's like a curse.

The Niners SUCK! Frank Gore is their entire offense, and their defense isn't going to carry them either. They won't win more than 4.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:50 pm

My question to the Niners management:

Why did Mike Singletary get retained as head coach? The guy is already part of a joke on Letterman.

"Be on time, be fifteen minutes early and don't touch the man."
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:45 pm

It's not like the cards don't have a high profile backup QB or anything... If he steps in, he'll either do well or extremely bad.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:41 pm

I have no faith in Leinart whatsoever. I think he's just a bust.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:54 pm

geezer9687 wrote:I have no faith in Leinart whatsoever. I think he's just a bust.

Maybe with any other team, but with those weapons, anyone that can throw the ball 40 yards has a shot at leading the league in passing yards.

And there's always a shot that he could put it all together. I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't count out anyone with Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston in the lineup.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:56 pm

They should have traded up for Vince Young... err.... Reggie Bush... err..... Mario Williams?

"Hindsight is 20/20" on that one, huh? BTW, where did your article go, or is that next week?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:09 am

I find it strange that the Titans won't trade Vince Young. The team was actually better without him (this time, I really do mean that).

I could see a Titans-Texans trade involving Vince Young soon (because whoever is starting for the Texans sure isn't doing anything right).
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:56 am

Buscemi wrote:I find it strange that the Titans won't trade Vince Young. The team was actually better without him (this time, I really do mean that).

I could see a Titans-Texans trade involving Vince Young soon (because whoever is starting for the Texans sure isn't doing anything right).

Wrong! The Texans dealt for Matt Schaub (their QB) three years ago (this will be his third year) and he's posted pretty good numbers. Last year he was 4th in Comp %, 4th in Pass Yds/gm, 2nd in 1st down %, and 7th in QB Rating. The only thing is that he's been knicked up only playing 11 games in each of the two seasons with them.

Also, Kerry Collins isn't going to play forever and I'm pretty sure that the deal is that they're going to give Young another shot after Collins is gone. If you remember, Young did make the Pro Bowl two years ago (though it was from an injury plus someone declined).
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:02 am

But here's the thing: Schaub can't win games. When Rosenfels backed him up (he now backs up Brett Favre), he could win games.

Meanwhile, I could see Vince Young doing better playing in his home state and probably returning to form there. Also, he actually has won games.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:15 am

? Last year Schaub went 6-5 while Rosenfels went 2-3.

Reports say he's looking better this year, but with the division the Texans are in, it'll be hard to make the playoffs.

Plus, re: trading Young to the Texans, how often do teams trade within the division? Esp. QBs.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:33 am

W wrote:
geezer9687 wrote:I have no faith in Leinart whatsoever. I think he's just a bust.

Maybe with any other team, but with those weapons, anyone that can throw the ball 40 yards has a shot at leading the league in passing yards.

And there's always a shot that he could put it all together. I don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't count out anyone with Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston in the lineup.

This is true, but there is a reason that he didn't win the starting job last season... he just didn't look very good, even with the weapons. Plus, I'm not sold on Boldin being on that team all season.
W wrote:They should have traded up for Vince Young... err.... Reggie Bush... err..... Mario Williams?

"Hindsight is 20/20" on that one, huh? BTW, where did your article go, or is that next week?
It's next week, week of the 11th.

W wrote:
Buscemi wrote:I find it strange that the Titans won't trade Vince Young. The team was actually better without him (this time, I really do mean that).

Wrong! The Texans dealt for Matt Schaub (their QB) three years ago (this will be his third year) and he's posted pretty good numbers. Last year he was 4th in Comp %, 4th in Pass Yds/gm, 2nd in 1st down %, and 7th in QB Rating. The only thing is that he's been knicked up only playing 11 games in each of the two seasons with them.

Also, Kerry Collins isn't going to play forever and I'm pretty sure that the deal is that they're going to give Young another shot after Collins is gone. If you remember, Young did make the Pro Bowl two years ago (though it was from an injury plus someone declined).

Exactly. Collins is old and he won't be around for much longer and this team still wants Vince to be the quarterback after he is gone. I still think Vince is going to pan out. And everything you said about Schaub is correct. He is actually really good quarterback, he just has a hard time staying healthy. I don't see the Texans losing faith in him anytime soon, especially after he leads them to the playoffs this season Wink
Buscemi wrote:But here's the thing: Schaub can't win games. When Rosenfels backed him up (he now backs up Brett Favre), he could win games.

Meanwhile, I could see Vince Young doing better playing in his home state and probably returning to form there. Also, he actually has won games.
Schaub is going to win a lot of games this season.
W wrote:
Plus, re: trading Young to the Texans, how often do teams trade within the division? Esp. QBs.
Very true, and this would never happen. Look for Vince Young to still be the QB of the future for the Titans, with his ceiling being a poor man's Aaron Rodgers. They also may use him on some option packages this season to see how it works out.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:40 am

umm... tomorrow is the 11th LOL. I don't care if you post it next week tho.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:02 am

The 49ers did quite good last year with Mike Singeltary. They are effective even though they dont have any stars. Plus Jacksonvile 10-6? no fucking way they arent very good. Houston 12-4? no way Schaub is a decent QB and there defense is solid but not great. Maybe 9-7 for Houston and Jacksonvile will proably be 6-10. Green Bay 14-2 thats kind of a laughable statement no offense. I dont think Aaron Rodgers is good enough to carry that team. Ryan Grant is a streaky running back and their defense is above average at best. I think the Vikings and Bears are better than them. Geez you i have lot of respect for you but i think some of your picks are a little insane.

I do see Tampa and Cleveland doing poorly as well proably around a 3-13 finish for both those teams. Cincy will also suck quite a bit.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:00 am

W wrote:umm... tomorrow is the 11th LOL. I don't care if you post it next week tho.
Ohh.... I thought that those dates were meant to be the START of the week, like September 11th-next Thursday. My bad. I still want to do it next week though, I'd like to see give the last weekend films 3 weekends of time.

transformers2 wrote:The 49ers did quite good last year with Mike Singeltary. They are effective even though they dont have any stars. Plus Jacksonvile 10-6? no fucking way they arent very good. Houston 12-4? no way Schaub is a decent QB and there defense is solid but not great. Maybe 9-7 for Houston and Jacksonvile will proably be 6-10. Green Bay 14-2 thats kind of a laughable statement no offense. I dont think Aaron Rodgers is good enough to carry that team. Ryan Grant is a streaky running back and their defense is above average at best. I think the Vikings and Bears are better than them. Geez you i have lot of respect for you but i think some of your picks are a little insane.

I do see Tampa and Cleveland doing poorly as well proably around a 3-13 finish for both those teams. Cincy will also suck quite a bit.

The 49ers will not be good. Teams are going to stack the box against them. They might have won a few more games if they could have actually signed Crabtree... but Shaun Hill is their QB and Josh Morgan is their number 1 receiver. They are going to score around 9 points a game. Their defense isn't good enough to support that.

I think Jacksonville is a solid 10-6 team. That division is stacked top to bottom. Garrard is always consistent and he has better weapons this year, along with MJD who is a beast. They have a decent D and I think will be at least a .500 team.

I have a lot of faith in Schaub if he can stay on the field and Houston is my breakout team of the year. Very few teams will be able to slow them down. No one has the weapons on offense that they have, and their defense isn't really bad, its average, but its not going to lose them games.

You have to admit bias being a biased Bears fan Tranny, and I know Green Bay is not a popular pick, but that is a lot of the reason why I love the team so much. You all can say Aaron Rodgers isn't that good. I'm telling you, he is, and you don't have to believe me now, but at the end of the season, you will see. Grant is a very good running back. They will be motivated, they have the no one believed in us factor, and they all want to rub it into Brett Favre's face. I wouldn't be surprised if someone on the Pack end's Brett's season with how physical they will be against the Vikings this year. Those games will be ugly, and the Packers will show how great they can be. I have liked them for a while now leading up to the season, I just had to go through and actually analyze everything to find out just how much I like them.

You may think I'm crazy, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The records will not be right, as they are just based on who I think will win games based on how good they are on paper, so some of them come out extreme. However, I do believe in all of my playoff picks, and that is what really matters.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:15 am

Well, Leinart has come a long way in the last year of being on the bench. He's had his best preseason ever, and should Warner get hurt (he's never had two completely healthy seasons in a row), Leinart will be stepping in. It'll be touch and go, but the kid has grown up a lot. I wouldn't write him off or call him a "bust" yet. He's not Jake Plummer II.

How about the Lions-Saints game? One would think that the Saints should roll, given that Brees is peaking right about now, but the Lions had a decent preseason and may compete. Of course, that's just wishful thinking, but still...
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:29 am

The Lions had a 4-0 preseason last year. Their regular season record? 0-16.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Shrykespeare Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:48 am

Like that means anything...

I KNOW the Lions suck. But they have nowhere to go but up. I'm also not saying the Saints will roll over them.
Shrykespeare
Shrykespeare
Peter Gibbons
Peter Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:54 am

The Lions may actually be the most improved team (record wise) at the end of the year considering if they win 4 games, it'll be 4 games more than they won last year and a team that went, say, 5-11 would have to have a winning season to beat that.

Or they could win 0. Odds are that they'll win more than a couple just out of chance.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 am

I can't see the Lions winning a game until late in the season. Other than the inclusion of Stafford (who will get roughed up quite a bit due to not having a line in front of him), they look like the same team as last year.

My best guess for their first win: Week 13 vs. Cincinnati
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by W Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 am

You can't predict everything... Gotta leave room for somebody completely screwing up because they basically take the week off. That'll probably happen a couple of times.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 am

Shryke as far as bets for this weekend, I made three.

Philadelphia -2 over Carolina
Dallas -6 over Tampa Bay
Minnesota -3.5 over Cleveland

I don't like the Saints because I think the Lions could cover that spread. I absolutely think they win the game, but a straight win bet will win you nothing and Detroit can put up points.

How about the Madden Curse wasting NO time tonight? If I owned Larry Fitzgerald in a fantasy league I'd be shaking in my boots.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next