The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS

+11
Donte77
Shrykespeare
mfrendo
JackO
IPKI$$
silversurfer19
geezer9687
J-Man
packpaljs
undeadmonkey
NSpan
15 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS - Page 5 Empty Re: Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS

Post by Buscemi Fri May 01, 2009 2:47 am

Actually, Martin Landau's resume is nothing to write home about either. I mean, the guy did frickin' B.A.P.S.!
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS - Page 5 Empty Re: Movies From the 21st Century That Will Be Remembered as CLASSICS

Post by IPKI$$ Fri May 01, 2009 3:02 am

My favorite oscar class in which I've actually seen all 5 films is without a doubt 1999...which just backs up my love for pretentious films. My least favorite would have to be 02...by a pretty long nose actually.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri May 01, 2009 4:07 am

I would say that along with 1999, 1974 and 1975 were particularly good years for Best Picture nominees. 1974 gave us Chinatown, The Conversation, The Godfather Part II, The Towering Inferno and Lenny, while 1975 had Jaws, Barry Lyndon, Dog Day Afternoon, and eventual winner One Flew Over The Cukoos Nest. I'd have been hard pushed to pick a winner over those two years.

Also of note is that while scanning over previous Pest Picture nominations I noticed the sheer scale of movies which are remembered as classics now but did not win the big prize, compared to how few of the eventual winners I actually knew. I guess it just goes to show that lesser movies have always beaten out the eventual classics. I just wonder which movies of the last ten years or so which did not win Best Picture will be remembered in time as a classic. Which I suppose it what this thread is all about.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri May 01, 2009 4:56 am

This might be a little off-topic but I noticed that The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button is getting the Criterion treatment. Someone must be high on its long-term potential.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Fri May 01, 2009 5:32 am

It did have revolutionary visual fx.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri May 01, 2009 8:09 am

mfrendo wrote:I thought Quiz Show was a really good movie actually.

I haven't seen it since it came out but I loved it. One of the reasons I like Turturro.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Fri May 01, 2009 8:55 am

Sorry I was thinking of Q & A, I got that confused with Quiz Show. Apologies!
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 am

The 2007 class was alright. No Country For Old Men was fantastic. I liked Michael Clayton. There Will Be Blood bored me throughly. Havent seen Juno or Atonement don't plan it on either. Gone Baby Gone and 3:10 To Yuma where robbed of Best Picture nominees.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat May 02, 2009 1:05 am

transformers2 wrote:The 2007 class was alright. No Country For Old Men was fantastic. I liked Michael Clayton. There Will Be Blood bored me throughly. Havent seen Juno or Atonement don't plan it on either. Gone Baby Gone and 3:10 To Yuma where robbed of Best Picture nominees.

I agree with your first statement. BUT.... No Country was a well made movie and such, nevertheless I hated it. Michael Clayton was the one that bored me, I actually didnt finish it. Swinton was good in it though, as usual. I really liked There Will Be Blood, I thought the aspect of the industrialization of america very interesting, not to mention the character studies. Although It's the kind of movie that I am glad to have seen but dont really want to see again. I thought Juno was an enjoyable two hours spent. I dont understand the hate from busci, but I also dont understand the oscar love from others. Atonement was good too. Some great performances. Interesting story, but is also like TWBB, in im glad to have seen it but am not really itching to see it again. Gone Baby Gone was great, 3:10 to Yuma was a fluffy action movie, which tried really hard to be something more, but failed. I'm not saying I didn't like it, I did, but I don't think it got robbed. Now if any movie got robbed it was The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Redford!

P.S. It must seem like i'm raggin on you tranny, im not, just stating my opinion.

P.P.S. I dont know if anyone else has this problem but the advertisement makes an annoying 'ding' every couple of seconds and it's irritating. It's the you're the 99999999th visitor congrats, or you won! is there anything you can do about it barca?
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat May 02, 2009 2:09 am

Now if any movie got robbed it was The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Redford!

Hear, Hear!
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat May 02, 2009 6:47 am

undeadmonkey wrote:P.P.S. I dont know if anyone else has this problem but the advertisement makes an annoying 'ding' every couple of seconds and it's irritating. It's the you're the 99999999th visitor congrats, or you won! is there anything you can do about it barca?
Firefox + Adblock

(running AVG and AdAware now and then is important too)
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Sat May 02, 2009 10:26 am

silversurfer19 wrote:
Now if any movie got robbed it was The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Redford!

Hear, Hear!

Crazy! UDM, to say that Michael Clayton was boring and then praise Jesse James. I think that falls under a contradiction. I found only the last 30 minutes of Jesse James to be interesting and the first 2 hours to be boring. The only good thing about the first 2 hours were the scenery. Everything was just, just, just, nothing so it felt to me.

But you do praise alot of movies from 2007 so thank you for backing me on that. I think I'm too attached to 2007. I own 32 movies from that year alone. Kinda crazy.
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat May 02, 2009 10:44 am

packpaljs wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:

Hear, Hear!

Crazy! UDM, to say that Michael Clayton was boring and then praise Jesse James. I think that falls under a contradiction. I found only the last 30 minutes of Jesse James to be interesting and the first 2 hours to be boring. The only good thing about the first 2 hours were the scenery. Everything was just, just, just, nothing so it felt to me.

I love scenery and i love movies with interesting characters and Jesse James sure had both. It definitely wasn't boring for me, did not feel like 3 hours. Now legal mumbo jumbo is super boring to me. that's all i got from Clayton, but i might give it another chance some time in the future.

But you do praise alot of movies from 2007 so thank you for backing me on that. I think I'm too attached to 2007. I own 32 movies from that year alone. Kinda crazy.

Are you serious? I would love to see a list. haha
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Sat May 02, 2009 11:03 am

I love talking about my extensive movie collection so here's the list of my 2007 owned:

3:10 to Yuma
There Will Be Blood
Alvin and the Chipmunks
American Gangster
Atonement
Away From Her
The Bourne Ultimatium
Fracture
Hairspray
Harry Potter
I Now Pronouce you Chuck and Larry
Into the Wild
Knocked Up
Lars and the Real Girl
Lions for Lambs
Meet the Robinsons
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
Pirates 3
The Prestige
Ratatouille
Savages
Shoot 'Em Up
Shrek 3
Smokin Aces
Juno
Spider-Man 3
Sweeny Todd
Transformers
Walk Hard
We Own the Night

Last edited by packpaljs on Sat May 02, 2009 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat May 02, 2009 11:17 am

The Illusionist was from 2006.

Meanwhile, I have very few titles from 2007. I usually wait for DVD's to become cheaper or available used.

My List:
Bug
Death Proof
Death Sentence
Knocked Up
Planet Terror
Rescue Dawn

And my father has Walk Hard even though I believe it's still at my sister's house.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat May 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I have far too many dvds as it is, I think our collection is close to hitting 700 and that's just what we have in NZ, we still have plenty left in the UK!!

From 2007, we own:

Spiderman 3
Transformers
Ratatouille
Juno
Disturbia
Bridge to Terebithia
No Country For Old Men
Stardust
Zodiac
28 Weeks Later
Hot Fuzz
Eastern Promises
The Lives Of Others
The Darjeeling Limited
La Vie En Rose
Sunshine
Daywatch
Eagle Vs Shark
The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Southland Tales
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Right, that's all of them. Not as many as I thought I guess, I suppose because I buy dvds from all eras, not just new ones. Still quite a lot though....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by transformers2 Sat May 02, 2009 6:46 pm

I also have a good amount of DVD's im proably up to like 70-75

From 2007 I have.....

Knocked Up
Planet Terror
Transformers
Superbad
I Am Legend
Hot Rod

There is a few more i need to get like Live Free Or Die Hard,No Country For Old Men,Gone Baby Gone and a few others but that's my 2007 DVD collection.
transformers2
transformers2
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Sat May 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Bus is right The Illouinist is 2006, but I forgot Shrek 3, so 32 still
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat May 02, 2009 8:49 pm

i Have these from 2007

Pirates 3
The Prestige
Transformers
The Assasination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

I would like to get these, one day

Stardust
Sunshine
Ratatouille
Spider-Man 3
There Will Be Blood
Atonement
The Bourne Ultimatium
Into the Wild ( This was one of my favorites of the year too)
Lars and the Real Girl
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5