The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need new book ideas.

+11
TheJman
Donte77
mfrendo
Alyson
Kompressr
becs
lillylovelost
A_Roode
BarcaRulz
Buscemi
W
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Need new book ideas. Empty Need new book ideas.

Post by W Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:58 am

I need new books to read. I just started reading for enjoyment not too long ago (maybe I'm growing up?) and I need some suggestions. I loved "The Road," "Cell," and "Eight Men Out" and I'm trying to find books kind of like the first two to add to my list. So far I have:

Any Cormac McCarthy book,
Watchmen
World War Z

Any ideas?
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Need new book ideas. Empty Re: Need new book ideas.

Post by Buscemi Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:40 am

The Basketball Diaries by Jim Carroll
The Toy Collector by James Gunn (this is out-of-print so inter-liberty loan is likely needed)
R Is For Rocket by Ray Bradbury
Different Seasons by Stephen King
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Black Monday - Bob Reiss. I really liked this book. It's smart, entertaining, and actually has a good amount of realistic tone to it, will make you wonder what people would REALLY do during a worldwide crisis.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:27 pm

BarcaRulz wrote:Black Monday - Bob Reiss. I really liked this book. It's smart, entertaining, and actually has a good amount of realistic tone to it, will make you wonder what people would REALLY do during a worldwide crisis.

They eat, panic, eat again, whine, eat some more and finally, they die.

Face it, the average person wants their McDonalds no matter how bad the financial system gets.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Buscemi wrote:
BarcaRulz wrote:Black Monday - Bob Reiss. I really liked this book. It's smart, entertaining, and actually has a good amount of realistic tone to it, will make you wonder what people would REALLY do during a worldwide crisis.

They eat, panic, eat again, whine, eat some more and finally, they die.

Face it, the average person wants their McDonalds no matter how bad the financial system gets.

True, but what they want and what they get are two very different things. The book basically deals with oil issues, and how we rely on it too much.

Anyway, and on that point, i shall leave you and go to McDonalds.. Razz
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:55 pm

I've read two pretty good novels lately W.

"The White Tiger," by Aravind Adiga about how a kid from the slums of India rises, by what ever means necessary, to become a rich and powerful man. Just won the Man Booker prize which is one of the most prestigious in litereature.

"Q & A," by Vikas Swarup, which is the source novel for Slumdog Millionaire. It's a great book and I highly recommend it.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by lillylovelost Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:12 pm

I'm not usually a big non-fiction person but I finished not too long ago:

Gang Leader For A Day by Sudhir Venkatesh. He was a grad student of sociology and infiltrated Chicago's Robert Taylor Home projects, and did it as an experiment. It's quite a book. I think it also just came out in paperback so that's good.
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

http://gangsterdorothy.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by becs Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:44 pm

So many I could recommend but here is a smattering -

Anything by Terry Pratchett, but specifically Good Omens (Pratchett and Neil Gaiman) is excellent.

Neal Stephenson - Snow Crash or Cryptonomicon, Snow Crash is more futuristic while Cryptonomicon is historical. Both books are excellent, but HUGE (they are deceptively small in softcover...).

Iain M. Banks - Look to Windward, If you like sci-fi at all (and I really don't) you will probably like this one. Its very kind of quiet and inrospective but mind blowing.

Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game, an oldie but a goodie

And a couple of Non-fiction:
Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner - Freakonomics, and awesome and unorthodox way of looking at statistical trends.

Malcolm Gladwell - Blink: The power of thinking without thinking (he also has a new book called Outliers which I am quite keen to read). This book is really eye opening to how we drastically adjust our behavior based on subconscious cues - without knowing we are.
becs
becs
Nick Naylor
Nick Naylor

Back to top Go down

Post by W Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:26 am

Read... err... Listened to Freakonomics already. I couldn't understand the controversy surrounding it when it came out. The Sumo part is great as is, "Why do drug dealers still live with their mothers."

I'll probably start with "Black Monday".
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:31 am

W wrote:Read... err... Listened to Freakonomics already. I couldn't understand the controversy surrounding it when it came out. The Sumo part is great as is, "Why do drug dealers still live with their mothers."

I'll probably start with "Black Monday".

Woohoo. You won't regret it. I picked it out by random and was very happy that i did.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kompressr Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:12 pm

Not sure if you might be interested in these but throwing them out there. Going through an Indian Lit phase at the moment. The others I'm sure most of us have read - they're classics.

Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhubwala

Fire on the Mountain by Anita Desai

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

also recently reread Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Defoe's Robinson Crusoe (because of the tv show NBC put on)
Kompressr
Kompressr
Napoleon Dynamite
Napoleon Dynamite

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:09 pm

Off the top of my head:

IV - Chuck Klosterman ; if you enjoy music, you'll love it. Its also a very fast read. very funny.

Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett ; the Apocalypse done right. If you like Hitchhikers Guide, you'll enjoy this one

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison ; its pretty gritty and different, but good.
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 am

Damn, Aly, looks like we share the same taste in authors...I've read the first two on your list and loved both. All of Chuck Klosterman's books have been good so far.

W, you should check out the book of I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson. It's got the title story, and some other short stories with it. I'm finishing the shorts now. It's good, and in the vein you're looking for. Reading the book will show you how much better I AM LEGEND could've been...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 am

yeah mfrendo - I LOVE klosterman, i tend to laugh out loud while reading his books - I can't decide if I like IV or Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs better.
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:31 am

I would have to go with Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs, if for no other reason than the essays on John Cusack and the Left Behind series. Though, I do love the part in IV when he says, the least smart member of Radiohead is smarter than all three Beastie Boys and two of the Strokes combined. Funny, funny stuff. His other two, Fargo Rock City and Killing Yourself to Live are great too.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:09 am

For the dead genius category read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. The book is hilarious with some of the better one liners I have read in a while. After getting fired from a job the MC replies to his mother "My excellence confused them."

For more Alan Moore goodness read the graphic novel of From Hell. It is brilliant. The movie pales in comparison to the horror that the book shows as the Ripper.

Stephen King's last novel called Dumas Key was fucking awesome. I think it may be his best novel (I am rereading the Stand to verify my thoughts).

My favorite book (or one of) is Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. The best anti-war novel ever. EVER!

Orson Scott Card is famous for Ender's Game but I loved his Seventh Son series. Perfect blend of fantasy and folklore in pioneer times.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 am

I loved Johnny Got His Gun as well. The Enders Game series is awesome (I read all 9 so far...unless new ones came out), so Seventh Son sounds interesting.

Never read Confederacy of Dunces, and haven't read King's stuff in years.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJman Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:25 am

Anything by Dashiell Hammett although I heartily recommend Red Harvest and The Glass Key as his best works.
TheJman
TheJman
J.J Gittes
J.J Gittes

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:21 pm

And if you liked Stephen King's last novel, you should really check out his new collection of short stories too. I actually prefer his short stories to his longer novels.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:12 pm

TheJman wrote:Anything by Dashiell Hammett although I heartily recommend Red Harvest and The Glass Key as his best works.

I thought that The Thin Man movie was way better than the book... I do like his stories though
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:18 pm

They need to do a Thin Man update. Meanwhile, I honestly thought at first that Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist was going to be a modern-day Thin Man update. Then I found out that it was anti-gay crap with the guy from Juno.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Alyson Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Buscemi wrote:They need to do a Thin Man update. Meanwhile, I honestly thought at first that Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist was going to be a modern-day Thin Man update. Then I found out that it was anti-gay crap with the guy from Juno.

Agreed! And I totally thought that too when I first heard the name.
Alyson
Alyson
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:47 am

A_Roode wrote:And if you liked Stephen King's last novel, you should really check out his new collection of short stories too. I actually prefer his short stories to his longer novels.

Reading it now. Smile
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:05 am

For the hard boiled noir I prefer Raymond Chandler but Hammett is great also.

If you like Jason Bourne type super spies read some of David Morrell's earlier work. The Brotherhood of the Rose, The Fraternity of the Stone, and The League of Night and Fog and excellent. Saul would beat Bourne's ass bloody. LOL

And if you haven't read them in a while (or ever) read Lovecraft or Poe. They are masters if horror is your thing.

For an off-kilter detective novel check out Eric Garcia. He has a series of novels named Casual Rex and Anonymous Rex about a dinosaur detective living in our world in disguise. It is as weird and as funny as it sounds. You all know this guy as the writer of Matchstick Men and he is great.

And as a standby read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series if you have not. It does not get any better than that.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 am

I remember reading David Morrell...jeez, that was like back in 7th grade or something. I remember Frat of the Stone, Fifth Profession, and a few others (I think I read First Blood too, which he wrote). Man, been awhile since I thought of his stuff...

What's some good Chandler to start with? BTW, Donte, we should trade stories sometime. I just finished a full length screenplay (doing final editing now) that I could shoot to you, and you could send me a story or two...always good to get some feedback and/or inspiration. I will warn you, my screenplay is not for the light of heart. I got it read by one film co. reader, and she said her studio wouldn't deal with the subject matter.
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next