The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun and Random Trivia of the Day

+11
NSpan
IPKI$$
A_Roode
BarcaRulz
Keyser Soze
mfrendo
geezer9687
silversurfer19
Buscemi
BanksIsDaFuture
Donte77
15 posters

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Fun and Random Trivia of the Day - Page 11 Empty Re: Fun and Random Trivia of the Day

Post by Donte77 Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Trivia for 4-22-09 is from The Day After Tomorrow. I checked this movie in honor of Earth Day. This is the first time I have found a trivia bit that is wrong (or at least outdated).

The opening weekend gross of this film, along with the second weekend gross of Shrek 2 (2004), represents the most money ever earned in a single weekend in movie history.

I added up the top 10 movies from this weekend and it totaled $184.212 Mil. That does look impressive but I checked some other weekends and found that TDK and Mamma Mia in their first weekend and Hancock in it's third made over 200 Mil (and that isn't counting the 4-10 place movies which added another 50 ish).

According to BOM this weekend is the 5th highest behind TDK, two Pirates and X-men 3 weekends.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Fun and Random Trivia of the Day - Page 11 Empty Re: Fun and Random Trivia of the Day

Post by Donte77 Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 pm

I have submitted the correction to IMDB.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 pm

It's simply outdated, Donte. That weekend in question was at the time the biggest weekend ever but of course, it has been surpassed.

Another interesting piece of trivia: The Day After Tomorrow had the biggest weekend ever to not finish first. It made $70 million on opening weekend but still got beat by Shrek 2.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:19 pm

Yeah but that was almost 5 years ago. It should have been updated by now. In my correction I noted that this was true until it was surpassed.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:05 am

Here's some trivia from Michael Clarke Duncan's bio page:

Supposedly gives five dollars to anyone who recognizes him on the street and knows what his full name is.

I'd certainly like to try this sometime.

Has five cats.

Has one chinchilla, "Chucky".

He looks like a dog person, but really seems like a cat person.
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 am

George Clooney gives you your money back if you tell him you saw Batman and Robin Very Happy
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by W Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Someone mentioned Forrest Gump and I remembered this:

When Forrest gets up to talk at the Vietnam rally in Washington, the microphone plug is pulled and you cannot hear him. According to Tom Hanks, he says, "Sometimes when people go to Vietnam, they go home to their mommas without any legs. Sometimes they don't go home at all. That's a bad thing. That's all I have to say about that."
W
W
Walter Sobchack
Walter Sobchack

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Trivia Of The Day (4/23/2009)

Fatal Attraction

When Glenn Close's agent first called to express her interest in playing Alex Forrest, he was told, "Please don't make her come in. She's completely wrong for the part." Director Adrian Lyne also thought that Glenn Close was "the last person on Earth" who should play Alex.

When Glenn Close finally secured the part of Alex Forrest, one of the first things she did was to take the script to two different psychiatrists to ask them: "Is this behavior possible and if it is, why?"

The two psychiatrists who reviewed the script at Glenn Close's request both came to the same conclusion: Alex Forrest's behavior was - in its own way - classic behavior. Their diagnosis was that Alex had been molested and sexually tortured for an extended period of time while she was a child. As such, she would naturally lash out at anyone who found her desirable.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Trivia for the day from "Hell in the Pacific" (1968)

"Both Lee Marvin and Toshirô Mifune actually served in the Pacific during World War II, of course on opposing sides."
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:35 am

Nice find Roodey. That is a great one. And I can see either of them fuckers in the military. Both are scary dudes.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:37 am

Trivia for 4-23-09 is from one of the greatest martial arts movies ever, Road House. (yes that is a joke)

The band playing at the start of the movie is the band Cruzados. After the band disbanded, the singer Tito Larriva formed the band Tito & Tarantula, which is the band that plays at the Titty Twister in the movie From Dusk Till Dawn (1996).
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:40 am

Trivia Of The Day (4/24/2009)

Basic Instinct

To get an R-rating, Paul Verhoeven had to re-cut the movie a total of fourteen times.

Paul Verhoeven briefly considered Peter Weller for the role of Nick Curran.

Joe Eszterhas wrote the script in ten days while listening to The Rolling Stones non-stop. He then sold it three days later at auction.

Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone had to wear genital pads during the sex scenes due to the AIDS epidemic in the early 1990s.

Michael Douglas declined to go full frontal in the film, or to let his character be bisexual.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Donte77 wrote:Nice find Roodey. That is a great one. And I can see either of them fuckers in the military. Both are scary dudes.

Both had a certain 'he who shall not be messed with" quality, didn't they?

Trivia for today from 'Hellraiser III' (1992):

"The original American poster campaign did not feature Pinhead, as officials believed the character to be "too scary" for American children."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I never see a lot of kids watching 'Hellraiser' movies at the theatre... Rolling Eyes
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Shouldn't a pasty white S&M demon BE too scary for children. I thought that was the point? Otherwise it would be Hellraiser III; Barney's purple helmet.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Trivia for 4-24-09 is from Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (which I watched last night). This is hilarious shit and probably why I love Peckinpah.

According to Kris Kristofferson, director Sam Peckinpah so detested the studio cut of this film he actually urinated on the screen.

Rumors began to reach the studio that director Sam Peckinpah was unable to work due to his heavy drinking. So as a joke, a photo was taken which showed Peckinpah on a stretcher being fed whiskey through an IV bottle while cast members carried him.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by packpaljs Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 am

More Trivia for 4/24/09 is from Thelma & Louis, watching right now.

"Then struggling actor George Clooney auditioned five times for Ridley Scott for the part of J.D. that went to Brad Pitt."
packpaljs
packpaljs
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Trivia of the day for "Dead Again" (1991):

"The number on Roman's prison uniform, 25101415, stands for "25 October 1415", the date of the Battle of Agincourt, fought by Henry V, subject of director Kenneth Branagh's previous film, Henry V (1989). Branagh's birthday (December 10) is shown on the first newspaper clipping in the opening sequence. Also, the cover of the LIFE magazine in Mr. Madson's shop shows Laurence Olivier in Hamlet (1948); another Shakespeare reference is on the bridge where Mike and Doug fight (it reads "Shakespeare Bridge," the real name of a bridge in L.A. where the movie was filmed)."

Branagh's doing Shakespeare even when he isn't!

I also like that Robin Williams didn't want his name in the opening credits because audiences would have thought the movie was a comedy.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Trivia Of The Day (4/25/2009)

X-Men

Dougray Scott was cast to play Wolverine. He had to leave the project because of his work on Mission: Impossible II (2000).

Numerous actors were considered for the role of Wolverine. Bryan Singer talked to Mel Gibson, 'Russell Crowe (I)', Viggo Mortensen and Edward Norton, while Fox were interested in Keanu Reeves.

Musician Glenn Danzig, whose muscular physique and height (5'4") almost perfectly matched the Wolverine character portrayed in the comic books, was interviewed for the role of Wolverine. A common myth has it that he was offered a part in the movie, but this confusion occurs largely because Danzig was actually offered the role some ten years earlier - when Carolco held the rights to an X-Men film and was considering a low-budget production. However, due to the high-budget and status of the 2000 production, as well as Danzig's age and relative lack of acting experience, and the requirement that the Wolverine actor be signed to a multi-picture deal spanning several years, it is highly unlikely that Danzig could have won the role in Singer's film. Regardless, a scheduling conflict prevented him from any subsequent pursuit of the role.

Jean-Claude Van Damme was considered for the role of Wolverine at one point.

Gary Sinise was the studios preferred option for the role of Wolverine.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Trivia Of The Day (4/26/2009)

X2

The Danger Room, the area where the X-Men train and hone their powers, was going to be included in this film. Bryan Singer had wanted it to appear in the first film, but due to budget cuts, the idea had to be scrapped. It was then worked into the story for this film, to take place when Wolverine is left to watch after the students in the mansion. He decides to do a workout in the Danger Room, which was going to segue into the scene of him lying down and having a vision of Stryker and his Weapon X procedure. The Danger Room was going to be a cylindrical-shaped room, with different sections of the floor raising and lowering at dangerous speeds, as well as holographic projectiles, etc. The earliest teaser trailer for the film gave a sneak peak at how the Danger Room was going to look, but shortly after this teaser was released, Fox cut Singer's budget down from $125 million to $110 million, forcing Singer to once again cut the Danger Room from the film. There is still a small reference to the Danger Room remaining in the film: when Stryker first enters the X-Mansion subbasement, directly opposite from the elevator is a door with a small label on it, which, according to Singer's DVD commentary track, identifies the door as the entrance to the Danger Room.

Don't you hate when that happens?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Trivia of the Day from "The Music Man" (1962):

Before starring in the musical, Robert Preston had not only never appeared in a musical before, he'd never sung a note either. Preston played the lead on Broadway but wasn't even offered the film until Cary Grant had turned it down. He still wasn't the preferred choice: Frank Sinatra was Warner Bros' personal choice to play the role in the movie. However, Meredith Willson told them, "No Robert Preston, no movie".

It became the role that Preston is best known for (unless you consider his role in 'The Last StarFighter' as Centauri).
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:37 pm

Trivia Of The Day (4/27/2009)

X-Men: The Last Stand

When Bryan Singer was still set to direct, he intended the Dark Phoenix storyline as the sole focus of the film. He also intended to feature the villain Emma Frost/White Queen as a major character, with the role intended for Sigourney Weaver. With Singer's departure, the character of Emma Frost was dropped, and the Dark Phoenix story was relegated to a subplot in favor of the "cure" storyline. He also planned on introducing long time fan favorite Gambit into the film, to serve as both the new recruit as well as a romantic rival of Iceman's for Rogue's affection. For the part, Singer had planned on casting Channing Tatum. However, once he left, the script was changed, and Gambit was reduced to a minor cameo, then ultimately dropped from the script.

The Dark Phoenix storyline sounds great but Channing Tatum as Gambit would have been a horrible casting choice since, well, he actually couldn't act around that time.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:48 pm

And he can act now??? LOL Wink

Trivia for Saturday, 4-25-09, is from Joe Versus the Volcano.

At the end, Joe refers to the "crooked road" he traveled. He walked the crooked sidewalk to the factory, drove the crooked road from the airport, then walked the final crooked path to the top of the volcano, all of which were in the same lightning bolt shape.

Man this movie has a lot of hidden meaning and foreshadowing. And I liked the movie when it came out because Tom Hanks was funny...
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:53 pm

Trivia for Sunday, 4-26-09 is from Airplane!.

The doctor role was Leslie Nielsen's first comedic part. He later said he was delighted to get the offer, fearing that he was getting too old for anything but "elderly grandfather" parts.

Wow, I think that anybody from my generation cannot imagine Leslie Nielson without comedic roles.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:10 am

Trivia for Monday, 4-27-09, is from The Breakfast Club.

The scene in which all characters sit in a circle on the floor in the library and tell stories about why they were in detention was not scripted. John Hughes told them all to ad-lib.

Very impressive considering the stories they told.

And related to the date of this tidbit;

At the beginning of the movie, there are some shots of the school building right before the kids show up for detention. Written on a wall is, "I don't like Mondays". This refers to a school shooting in 1979 committed by 16-year-old Brenda Ann Spencer. Brenda's father gave her a rifle for Christmas in 1978. On January 29th, 1979, she used her new rifle to shoot 10 children and staff at Clevelend Elementary School in San Diego, California. The school was across the street from her house, where she was during the incident. She killed the school's principal and one of the custodians, and injured 8 children. After 6 hours, she was apprehended by police. When asked why she did it, she said "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day." As for selecting her targets, she said "I like red and blue jackets." As of April, 2009, she is serving a life sentence, and has been denied parole 4 times. At her last parole hearing (2005), she claimed that her father had sexually abused her as a child, and that she was drunk and on PCP at the time of the shooting. According to her, the authorities and her attorney conspired to hide the drug test results. As for remorse, she said at the time "I had no reason for it, and it was just a lot of fun", "It was just like shooting ducks in a pond", and "[The children] looked like a herd of cows standing around; it was really easy pickings." Her next parole hearing will take place sometime in 2009. The incident and Spencer's lack of remorse also inspired the Boomtown Rats' hit "I Don't Like Mondays".
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:23 am

Trivia for the day today is from "Three Days of the Condor":

"Sydney Pollack brought a lawsuit against Danish TV after screening Three Days of the Condor (1975) in pan-and-scan in 1991. The court ruled that the pan scanning conducted by Danish television was a 'mutilation' of the film and a violation of Pollack's 'Droit Moral', his legal right as an artist to maintain his reputation by protecting the integrity of his work. Nonetheless, the court ruled in favor of the defendant on a technicality."
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next