The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008

+10
undeadmonkey
NSpan
A_Roode
Buscemi
transformers2
silversurfer19
geezer9687
IPKI$$
JackO
SuperShaan
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 Empty Re: Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008

Post by JackO Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:03 am

Woohoo! That was fun. All the winners were well deserved.
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 Empty Re: Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:11 am

SuperShaan wrote:

I would like to give Special thanks to Buscemi, Keyser, Geezer, Undeadmonkey, A_Roode, IPKI$$, Silversurfer, Numbersix99, Trans and JackO without you guys tonight would not be possible. To everyone else who voted Shryke, Banks, Barca, NSpan, johnErle, Mr. I, jas_8382 and Rasgriz a big Thank You also.

And I just have to thank you shaan, for putting all of this together. Because really, it is you who we couldn't have done this without.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:18 am

I agree the Academy likes some 'safe' picks now and then, but they also, as if by law, throw out some surprises to counter the so-called sure things. I mean, does anyone remember who won Best Actress just last year? And this year, we've already got predetermined wins in Best Supporting Actor- a category that COULD'VE been the most interesting, but instead was reduced to the absolute weakest possible field in order to give it to Heath Ledger and nominate RDJ; Best Actor- The only thing hollywood loves to see more than a falling star is seeing that same star rise again, so as amazing as the others might have been Mickey has to take it, so this way the academy doesn't feel like an asshole(let's face it, Mickey Rourke isn't getting nominated again anytime soon); Best Director- As impressive as most of these director's latest films may or may not have been, Danny Boyle will easily win this for two reasons: 1. Slumdog Millionaire stands out in a relatively dark resume, while the other directors have given us films that can easily be related to and compared with their others; 2. Compensation for the film not receiving Best Picture...I'm just saying that with foregone conclusions in major races, we should expect an upset in the Best Picture category if any.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:21 am

Yes, Shaan. Great job putting this together! it was a fun couple of hours! You did a much better hosting job than Jon Stewart at last year's oscars...I guess that's not saying a whole hell of a lot, BUT you know what I mean.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Location : Hamilton, NJ The Official Restaurant Capital of The United States of America

Back to top Go down

Post by undeadmonkey Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:50 am

Sorry Shaan that I couldnt make it, I had some family problems and I totally forgot, you know how it goes. Anyway Thanks for the show, I enjoyed it, even though i didnt get to participate live. Great job, Supershaan king

Last edited by undeadmonkey on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
undeadmonkey
undeadmonkey
Animal Mother
Animal Mother

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:55 am

well, there he is!
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:53 am

Sorry I didn't make it either...to tell you the truth, I didn't even know about it being live like this until I got your email today (at which point I was on the way out the door). Haven't been able to keep up much with school and all...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by JackO Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 am

IPKI$$ wrote:I agree the Academy likes some 'safe' picks now and then, but they also, as if by law, throw out some surprises to counter the so-called sure things. I mean, does anyone remember who won Best Actress just last year?

It was Marion Cottliard from La Vie En Rose. And the only reason i know this is because she is hott!

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 Marion-cotillard_l
JackO
JackO
Lt. Frank Drebin
Lt. Frank Drebin

Back to top Go down

Post by jas_8382 Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:15 am

Sorry I miss the awards, just wanted to say great job Shaan for putting the awards together and congrats to all the winners (all well deserved).

jas_8382
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

Back to top Go down

Post by IPKI$$ Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:14 am

Oh, no, Jacko. I knew who won, I was making a point. Marion's winning performance was a surprise to absolutely everyone, Julie Christie was supposed to win. And I think she won the golden globe for La Vie en Rose, but I thought her oscar was for la mome? Not that it matters either way really.
IPKI$$
IPKI$$
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 am

I understand your point. I just really think the surprise is more likely to come somewhere else. And I'm dreading it, but I think it might be in best actor. I can just see them giving it to Sean Penn, and that's nothing against Sean Penn, but the award belongs to Rourke.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 am

IPKI$$ wrote:Oh, no, Jacko. I knew who won, I was making a point. Marion's winning performance was a surprise to absolutely everyone, Julie Christie was supposed to win. And I think she won the golden globe for La Vie en Rose, but I thought her oscar was for la mome? Not that it matters either way really.

La Vie En Rose and La Mome are the same film. The US distributor renamed La Mome (The Kid) to La Vie En Rose. I don't know why though. La Vie En Rose sounds too similar to another Oscar-nominated French film (Ma Vie En Rose, 1997) and La Mome is a very unique title and it stands out.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:34 am

Sorry to have missed the show, was taking the missus out for her birthday. (She dragged me to see Fired Up!, which, actually, I really, really liked... sort of a profanely clever mashup of Bring It On, Stick It, Wedding Crashers and Animal House. Call it Cheer Camp Crashers. I recommend it, fellers, don't be afraid. Sometimes, to get the biscuit, you gotta risk it.)

So, there ya go. My wife gets a new HDMI DVD player, a printer, a fancy schmanzy garden arch thingy and a music / jewelry box, not to mention the Mamma Mia! DVD, and in return I get to see Fired Up! with a bunch of drunken teeny boppers and, because she crashed virtually the minute we got home, as an added bonus (from the Department of Redundancy Department) am virtually guaranteed to have absolutely no sex whatsoever, not even a little bit, not even technically. My cup runneth under.

[Sigh] At least TiVo recorded BSG and Cities of the Underworld. Huzzah.

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 Seks
Love may be the universal language. Sex sure as Hell ain't
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:36 am

You do seem like a big fan of bad teen movies made for video or Cinemax (because they don't make them for the drive-in anymore), Swedge.
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:43 am

Well I've heard two opinions on Fired Up now. I have to say, I am going to have to believe Banks on this one, who said it was every bit as bad as you would think. Now, this is the last time anyone is allowed to mention Fired Up! on our awards page. If you want further discussion, look elsewhere.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 am

Wow, that was a great show. Terrific job to all.

Let's hope my Razzie version can be half as good. (Which will air sometime Monday night.)
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by mfrendo Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Swedgin! wrote:Sorry to have missed the show, was taking the missus out for her birthday. (She dragged me to see Fired Up!, which, actually, I really, really liked... sort of a profanely clever mashup of Bring It On, Stick It, Wedding Crashers and Animal House. Call it Cheer Camp Crashers. I recommend it, fellers, don't be afraid. Sometimes, to get the biscuit, you gotta risk it.)

You know, I saw Fired Up! today as well, mainly cause we were bored, and I kind of liked it quite a bit as well. The two main actors really delivered the lines well together...found it quite enjoyable. It's either go big or go home...
mfrendo
mfrendo
Fletch
Fletch

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Glad to see someone else liked it. I thought the two main characters were a perfect twentysomething version of Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn. Though it was a little disconcerting how much the one guy, who reminded me so much of Torrance's college-aged bf in Bring It On, was trying to channel early Jim Carrey. AND early Bon Jovi.

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 2000_Bring_It_On_408

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 N2QXLGTI6FTWTQ76ENRKOE2AEI36QIKM

Switched at birth? You make the call
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Sometimes Man, I just don't get you... But this brings me to a more serious point... People are actually seeing this movie??? AHHHH what is this world coming to? It was supposed to be a surefire miss, lucky to bring in 10 million. Now what am I supposed to think?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Buscemi Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Perhaps the PG-13 rating and lack of competition (along with the people who actually read Maxim) are helping things?
Buscemi
Buscemi
Tony Stark/ Iron Man
Tony Stark/ Iron Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:55 pm

geez: What's to "get"? I like films from all sorts of genres, especially if they're well-done, and I'll say this for being married to a former drill team member and sorority chick, and until very recently Cheer Commissioner of a 90,000-population city: I get to see lots of films that wouldn't otherwise be on my radar, and not all of them are bad. (Many, many are, however.) If you liked American Pie, Wedding Crashers, Superbad, Meet the Parents, Caddyshack, Revenge of the Nerds and Animal House, you'll at least get a few chuckles out of Fired Up!, I promise you. And you'll roll your eyes some, too, but I bet you did with those other films I just mentioned, too.

At least you can say this about me: I ain't predictable. Unless I'm predictable for being, well, unpredictable. [Grin]

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 STO-107
Nuf sed
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BanksIsDaFuture Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Um, Nico, did you just compare Fired Up! to Superbad? Shocked

That's like comparing The Dark Knight and Catwoman.
BanksIsDaFuture
BanksIsDaFuture
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:22 pm

[Sigh] I DIDN'T say they were the same quality of film or anything. (Consternation! Uproar! 'E's a witch!) Nor did I rank Fired Up! alongside Caddyshack, Animal House or Meet the Parents. But, yes, if the humor in Superbad -- and those other films I mentioned -- appeals to you, then I don't think Fired Up! will be quite as terrible a filmgoing experience as you might suspect. It's certainly better than any of the other rom-coms I've been held hostage to so far this year: Bride Wars, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Four Christmases. Even He's Just Not That Into You, which was halfway decent I thought, pales in comparison.

Anyway, I'm done justifying my non-hate of Fired Up!. See the movie or don't. Leave your mind open to new experiences or don't. Agree with me or don't. [Shrug] It's a free country.

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 Chick_flick
This is my life
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Thanks for presenting the Fanties Shaan, it turned out a real success. I'm glad I managed to make it for a bit too, I thought with the awards going on in the middle of the day I would probably be out. But then when it came to the crunch I realised I don't have that much of a social life in the first place and we just sorta crashed in for half the day before we went to a friend's birthday bbq. So I got to present my featurette (sorry 'bout the length, I get carried away with TDK) and witness a good portion of the event. A decent amount of the awards went to nominations I had hoped would win, and they were generally well spread around. Nice to see Let The Right One In get an award. Actually, I did just think that Benjamin Button didn't win anything. That's a shame. And did Wall-E? Oh well, at least it was generally well spread. Nice to see In Bruges win too. Great awards!

And Swedge!, if it makes you feel any better, I got my wife drunk and had my own wicked way with her last night. So, y'know if at least somone is gettin it on here.....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:10 am

Gee, thanks, Herald, that makes me feel so much better. Bastage.

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards show 2008 - Page 4 No_sex10
Nuf sed
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4