The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards 2008 Official Nominations

+2
silversurfer19
SuperShaan
6 posters

Go down

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards 2008 Official Nominations Empty Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards 2008 Official Nominations

Post by SuperShaan Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Best Picture
Slumdog Millionaire
The Dark Knight
WALL•E
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Wrestler

Best Director
Danny Boyle – Slumdog Millionaire
Christopher Nolan – The Dark Knight
David Fincher – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Darren Aronofsky - The Wrestler
Andrew Stanton - Wall-E

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Sean Penn – Milk
Mickey Rourke – The Wrestler
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Leonardo DiCaprio - Revolutionary Road
Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Kate Winslet- Revolutionary Road
Meryl Streep – Doubt
Cate Blanchett- The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Angelina Jolie – Changeling
Sally Hawkins- Happy-Go-Lucky

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Josh Brolin – Milk
Robert Downey, Jr. – Tropic Thunder
Michael Shannon – Revolutionary Road
Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire
Phillip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Gwyneth Paltrow- Iron Man
Amy Adams – Doubt

Best Foreign Language Film
Let the Right One In
JCVD
City of Men
Mongol
Waltz With Bashir

Best Cast
Milk
The Dark Knight
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Tropic Thunder
Iron Man
Doubt

Best Screenplay
Slumdog Millionaire – Simon Beaufoy
The Dark Knight – Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan
WALL•E– Andrew Stanton and Jim Reardon
In Bruges – Martin McDonagh
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Eric Roth

Breakthrough Performance
Dev Patel – Slumdog Millionaire
James Franco- Pineapple Express
Lina Leandersson – Let the Right One In
Evan Rachel Wood- The Wrestler
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Awards Breakdown
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 8 nominations
Slumdog Millionaire, The Dark Knight & The Wrestler - 5 nominations
Doubt- 4 nominations
WALL•E, Iron Man, Revolutionary Road & Milk - 3 nominations
Tropic Thunder & Let the Right One In- 2 nominations

Rules
Everyone can vote for up to 2 nominees per category.
Voting closes midnight Feb 17th Pacific Standard Time.
YOU MUST PM or e-mail me at
Spoiler:

Committee Members
SuperShaan
Buscemi
Keyser
transformers2
silversurfer
geezer
undeadmonkey
Swedgin
Shryke
Donte
Banks
Barca
NSpan
mfrendo
Chien
A_Roode
johnErle
IPKI$$
Mr. I
JackO
J.I.
numbersix99
jas_8382
Rasgriz

You may now VOTE!
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards 2008 Official Nominations Empty Re: Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards 2008 Official Nominations

Post by silversurfer19 Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 pm

One question Shaan, why two votes? I mean, this is the final round, we should be voting for THE best film, not the best two movies. I think it should be limited to one pick.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards 2008 Official Nominations Empty Re: Fantaverse Society of Film Critics Awards 2008 Official Nominations

Post by SuperShaan Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:10 am

I see your point. I just felt that this way it would produce a greater pool of votes and therefore a more accurate representation on which are the best. Two votes are not are requirement , you can vote for just one nominee or none. However, if there is strong feeling against the right to vote for two nominees then we can limit it to one vote, no problem.
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:01 am

Ok, I'm just gonna submit one nomination for each category.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:47 am

I don't see a problem with 2 votes. I agree that the two vote system will give a better representation of the films that most of us liked best.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:02 am

But we already know which nominations we liked best. That's what the nomination process revealed. We should now be voting for our favourite. What if you vote for both TDK and Iron Man, but really you want TDK to win. But because others have voted for Iron Man and Wall-E (and they want Wall-E too win), and another votes for Iron Man and Benjamin Button (when they wanted Benjamin Button to win), you can end up with Iron Man winning a category no one really wanted them to win. Can you see my point. I don't have a problem if you still want to vote for two, I just wanted to highlight a scenario which may arise and we end up with acts we don't really want to win, winning.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:09 am

Yeah, but the fact that it was in everyone's top two, it would be more of a majority consensus. That's what shaan's point is, I think, rather than having 3 votes for each one and 4 for the other, giving that one a very narrow victory. Being able to vote for two separates the field. Plus, you don't have to vote for two. I don't think that anyone would vote for two nominees if they would be disappointed if one of them won. Why list two if you really feel that strongly about one particular nominee?

The actual process the academy uses has voters rank their nominees, whereas the first place film from a voter would be weighted heavier than the second and so on. We could maybe do it that way?
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 am

I see your point. Okay, I'll go along with that, but I urge everyone only to vote for acts they would actually want to win the thing, rather than just filling up your voting form for the sake of it. And your other idea could have something. Maybe give 10 points to your first choice, and 5 to your second, or something like that?
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 am

two votes for each category makes more sense to me if we're going to do run-off polls between the top two.... but that's not the plan, is it?
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:00 am

How do you want to play this Shaan? Are we going one vote or two votes? If two, are they equal or are they weighted?

My two cents: What would make it less complicated is to just pick one film in each category. I don't care what the second best film was or who the second best-actor was. Neither does the Academy as they don't announce winners and then say that second place went to.... Applying the simplest approach here will give us the least amount of work and confusion. And a weighted system has problems of it's own: fanaticism is diluted by a 'one person, one vote' democracy. I wouldn't recommend removing that balance.
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:09 am

I think the, vote for two, is really an attempt at avoiding a run off. Because it is so much more likely to have a tie if everyone only has one vote. And I'm sure shaan wants to have one big reveal ceremony, which means run-offs could not happen. That would give away winners beforehand.
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:50 am

What a predicament! Rolling Eyes

I think I'm just going to stick with my guns and and say the two vote system can stay. I feel the majority of you will vote one nominee each anyway. This is really so a run-off can be avoided.

However as contingency those of you who vote for two, when you send me your nominees could you please prioritise one of the nominees. Example:

Best Picture
Slumdog Millionaire (1st)
The Dark Knight

Thank You.
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaRulz Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:59 pm

Finally voted.. Was kinda hard in some categories to be honest, but you'd expect that.

Was disappointed that REC was not on the foreign film list.
BarcaRulz
BarcaRulz
Admin
Admin

https://thefantaverse.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Roode Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 am

We're almost to the deadline so I hope everyone got their picks in!
A_Roode
A_Roode
Marty McFly
Marty McFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperShaan Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Show time tonight:

00:00 GMT
19:00 EST
16:00 PST
SuperShaan
SuperShaan
The Genie
The Genie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down