The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oscar Nomination Ceremony (NOMINEES HERE!)

+12
J.I.
geezer9687
BanksIsDaFuture
silversurfer19
JackO
J-Man
undeadmonkey
Shrykespeare
MisterInformative
becs
numbersix_99
Buscemi
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Oscar Nomination Ceremony (NOMINEES HERE!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Oscar Nomination Ceremony (NOMINEES HERE!)

Post by NSpan Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:54 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Well, if they were to come over here they'd be close to doubling our population, so if only for being fans of themselves they'd be pretty big over here!
only because you treat Hobbits like second-class citizens
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Oscar Nomination Ceremony (NOMINEES HERE!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Oscar Nomination Ceremony (NOMINEES HERE!)

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:11 am

Would YOU trust anyone who is under four foot tall with hairy feet?
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Location : Auckland, New Zealand. I kinda stalk Guillermo Del Toro

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:26 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Would YOU trust anyone who is under four foot tall with hairy feet?
leave your mom out of this (zing!)

on an unrelated note, it looks like it'll be another BORING year at the oscars.. grow some balls, you old farts.. nominating Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder is less adventurous when you realize that half of the academy probably remembers actual black-face... the irony will be kinda lost when he wins due to fond nostalgia..

on the positive side, the one thing i can think to say is that i am glad to see Josh Brolin get some overdue credit..

we're watching Wall-E tonight (couldn't make the theater screening of Boyz N the Hood, dammit!).. and once i finally catch up on Ben Button, Man on Wire, and a few others, i'll have my own noms ready
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by delfinasu Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:25 pm

I was expecting some little surprises for Oscar nods, BUT c'mon: The Reader ? (best movie, best director), Brad Pitt nominated and Sally Hawkins AND Bruce Springsteen totally forgotten Sad
How many years will have to pass until the Academy will nominate a VERY GOOD comic-based or an animated movie such as The Dark Knight or Wall-E ?? Pitty!

My favorites:
Best motion picture of the year: Slumdog Millionaire
Achievement in directing: Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
Performance by an actor in a leading role: Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Performance by an actress in a leading role: Kate Winslet - The Reader
Performance by an actor in a supporting role: Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Performance by an actress in a supporting role: Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
Original screenplay: Andrew Stanton - WALL-E
Adapted screenplay: Simon Beaufoy - Slumdog Millionaire
Best animated feature film of the year: Wall-E
Best animated short film: -
Achievement in art direction (Art Direction + Set Decoration): The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Achievement in cinematography: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Achievement in costume design/ Costume: The Duchess
Best documentary feature: Man on Wire
Best documentary short subject: -
Achievement in film editing: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best foreign language film of the year: The Class
(Gomorrah, Let the Right One In or I've Loved You So Long didn't even get the short list)
Achievement in makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)/ Soundtrack: Slumdog Millionaire, composed by A.R. Rahman
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song): “Down to Earth” from “WALL-E” (Walt Disney)
Achievement in sound editing: WALL-E
Achievement in sound mixing: Wanted
Achievement in visual effects: Iron Man

How about you?
delfinasu
delfinasu
Juno MacGuff
Juno MacGuff

http://delfinasu.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:56 pm

silversurfer19 wrote:Oscar Nomination Ceremony (NOMINEES HERE!) - Page 3 SBS_MenloPark06-04md
(From l-r) Nico, Barca, Geez, NSpan, Mr.I, Donte, Shryke

That gang look like a lot of fun!

Why the fuck do I have to be the clarinet playing guy?! Clarinets are gay...

Although not nearly as gay as the Trombone. Sorry Shrykey Laughing
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Donte77 wrote:Why the fuck do I have to be the clarinet playing guy?! Clarinets are gay...

Well.... [ducks]

Although not nearly as gay as the Trombone. Sorry Shrykey Laughing

As soon as I saw that big happy face I thought of Shryke. Shyrke always seems to me to be the jolliest guy in the world and that image summed him up. The fact that by holding a trombone makes him gay.... well..... [ducks again].
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by geezer9687 Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:45 pm

In my opinion, Steve Mason just wrote a really good article on the Oscars.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/smason/2009/01/22/oscarsnub/#more-28397

I love how it all went downhill when Crash won Laughing
geezer9687
geezer9687
The Frankenstein Monster
The Frankenstein Monster

http://geezersworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by numbersix_99 Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:24 am

Yeah, I agree with Mase- with TDK not being nominated, and the Best Film noms being all small films besides one, people just won't be that interested. I don't think TDK is the masterpiece that many claim it to be, but I'd rate it over Frost/Nixon without hesitation.
numbersix_99
numbersix_99
Virgil Tibbs
Virgil Tibbs

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:32 am

Absolutely correct. What is it that Frost/Nixon or The Reader has, which TDK and Wall-E doesn't? Well apart from a naked Kate Winslet...
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:40 am

silversurfer19 wrote:Absolutely correct. What is it that Frost/Nixon or The Reader has, which TDK and Wall-E doesn't? Well apart from a naked Kate Winslet...

Haven't seen Frost/Nixon or The Reader but that is a viable explanation. Her tits helped titanic win so why not Reader. Also why Rev Road was snubbed. No nude Kate.

It all makes sense now.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:45 am

Donte77 wrote:
silversurfer19 wrote:Absolutely correct. What is it that Frost/Nixon or The Reader has, which TDK and Wall-E doesn't? Well apart from a naked Kate Winslet...

Haven't seen Frost/Nixon or The Reader but that is a viable explanation. Her tits helped titanic win so why not Reader. Also why Rev Road was snubbed. No nude Kate.

It all makes sense now.

Although we do get one naked chick. She was hardly Kate though. Oh, and Iris got her a best supporting actress nom. Maybe the academy just like a naked Kate....
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:47 am

Donte77 wrote:Why the fuck do I have to be the clarinet playing guy?! Clarinets are gay...
probably because the clarinet is the only instrument in the picture that could feasibly be shoved up your ass

on an unrelated note, i'm kinda glad the oscars nominated the exact same movies for Best Picture and Best Director.. helps fuel my argument that the categories should be merged

my top five WORST best picture winners:

Crash
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Chicago
Dances with Wolves

funny these are all from the last 20 years.. what happened since the time when movies like Annie Hall, The Godfather, and the Deer Hunter were getting the top honors.. has the quality of films really declined that much? i don't think so.. great movies are still being made every year.. i think the Academy has devolved into slaves to their own formulaic tripe.. i feel like, nowadays, the Oscars themselves define Academy Award Winners.. when, in the past, Academy Award Winners defined the Oscars.. make sense?

in other words, in present times ANYBODY could download a Mad Libs-esque potential Best Picture script and just fill in the blanks with whatever topics were "edgy" 10 years ago and be a lock at the ceremony..
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:53 am

NSpan wrote:
probably because the clarinet is the only instrument in the picture that could feasibly be shoved up your ass

on an unrelated note, i'm kinda glad the oscars nominated the exact same movies for Best Picture and Best Director.. helps fuel my argument that the categories should be merged

my top five WORST best picture winners:

Crash
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Chicago
Dances with Wolves

funny these are all from the last 20 years.. what happened since the time when movies like Annie Hall, The Godfather, and the Deer Hunter were getting the top honors.. has the quality of films really declined that much? i don't think so.. great movies are still being made every year.. i think the Academy has devolved into slaves to their own formulaic tripe.. i feel like, nowadays, the Oscars themselves define Academy Award Winners.. when, in the past, Academy Award Winners defined the Oscars.. make sense?

in other words, in present times ANYBODY could download a Mad Libs-esque potential Best Picture script and just fill in the blanks with whatever topics were "edgy" 10 years ago and be a lock at the ceremony..

Oh Gay Clarinets and bad movies winning the Oscar are totally related. Razz

Although why Titanic isn't included in your list is beyond me. I love American Beauty but the others were all just either okay or just good. Not nearly award worthy. It is all about the marketing and the money.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:54 am

NSpan wrote:on an unrelated note, i'm kinda glad the oscars nominated the exact same movies for Best Picture and Best Director.. helps fuel my argument that the categories should be merged

I agree, if they can't recognise the difference between the two categories and award them accordingly, they should just put them into one basket. This became even more apparent when I have been collating my own nominations for Shaan's poll. I have managed to list quite a few different directors to the best picture category. The best director does not always make the best movie of that year. I guess the Academy missed that one.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 am

Donte77 wrote:Although why Titanic isn't included in your list is beyond me.
shit. how'd i miss Titantic. okay, revised:

Crash
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Chicago
Titanic
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:46 am

Glad to be of service. I always look forward to informing people that the Titanic was a really big ship and the only thing bigger than that ship was the gigantic pile of shit that was the movie.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

Back to top Go down

Post by MisterInformative Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:03 am

If we're going to compare female leads in Wall-E and The Reader, I have to be honest, I would rather see Eve open her plant storage panels than Kate Winslet take her shirt off. It's sort of like the Hilary Swank debate that was on 'The Office' last night -- in both cases, I just don't think so even though I realize many people do.
MisterInformative
MisterInformative
Alex Murphy
Alex Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:11 am

last night's 30 Rock was directed by Steve Buscemi--and it was hi-larious

i hope comedy central renews the Sarah Silverman Program for another season

edit: i wish i could just assume that everybody checks Cracked.com on a daily basis, but for those of you unenlightened:

How to Write Next Year’s Best Picture
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by silversurfer19 Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:10 am

The Frost/Nixon one reminded of something that could have appeared in an Arrested Development episode.

They were actually quite funny.
silversurfer19
silversurfer19
Patrick Bateman
Patrick Bateman

Back to top Go down

Post by lillylovelost Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:22 am

NSpan wrote:
Donte77 wrote:Although why Titanic isn't included in your list is beyond me.
shit. how'd i miss Titantic. okay, revised:

Crash
Shakespeare in Love
American Beauty
Chicago
Titanic

I agree with 4 of the 5 (American Beauty is one of my favorites of all time. A genius dark comedy)

Anyway, seriously where the fuck did The Reader come from? I heard the noms for the Globes and I was like "What is this movie?"

TDK was snubbed royally for a lot of things, but of course it's because it's not the kind of movie the academy goes for.

Very odd that RDJ was nominated for Tropic Thunder. It's kind of cool when a comedic role gets recognized.

Slumdog will probably walk away with directing and adapted screenplay awards. It really was well directed and who would've thought a book about a quiz game show like "Millionaire" would make a great movie?
lillylovelost
lillylovelost
Harry Tuttle
Harry Tuttle

http://gangsterdorothy.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3