The Fantaverse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post)

+5
SuperShaan
geezer9687
undeadmonkey
Swedgin!
NSpan
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 Empty Re: It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post)

Post by Donte77 Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:54 am

Swedgin! wrote: I made it to the quarterfinals, I think that was the top 84 or so entries, and eventually they chose Eberron. (Which I thought was terrific.)

It all belongs to WotC now, the bastards.

Grrrr! that stinks even though it is cool to make it that far.

Swedgin! wrote:
Every couple of years I think about starting up a new campaign, or more accurately resurrecting and refining the Erden campaign, but I think I'll wait until my daughter is out of the house, or at least in high school. I've been putting together, here and there, notes for an epic multiyear campaign adventure called The Nonacle, but nothing's quite gel'ed yet. If there were some way to do it remotely (via Webcam, perhaps?), I'd jump on that in a heartbeat, and gladly invite you and Shrykey and many others around here to participate. (Light bulbs, anyone?) Be warned, though: I am with regards to D&D, as in most things, a traditionalist. I despise Prestige Classes and insist on PCs starting out at 0th level... I am a ruthless tyrant as DM. However, I'm also damned good, if I do say so myself.

Well, okay, see, that's nothing that would ever happen in one of my campaigns. If you made it to 5th Level without dying and having to "promote" an NPC, that would be fairly notable, and if you made it above 10th Level, I'd probably put that character into semi-retirement, elevate him or her to an emeritus NPC role, and encourage you to draw up a new PC. Once a PC gets above seventy or so Hit Points and starts collecting Vorpal Weapons, or has all his / her scores above 20, or wallpapers his castle walls with portable holes to make his own do-it-yourself TARDIS, I get kinda brittle as a DM, and am likely to crack open an entire continent with an earthquake or a rapidly de-orbiting moon just to kill your pampered ass, then force you to start life again as a six-year-old half-orc sex slave with a cleft palate and no hands. Put another way: In MY campaigns NO player ever owns a Ring of DM Control.

It was the DM's idea for the powerful races and classes. We had been doing standard play and wanted something more epic and world shattering. None of us were under 15th level and only one or two people were playing standard races. There was a Per (angel) archer, a blue dragon wizard, a mind flayer Psionicist, a dwarven avatar of a storm god (he was a battery and when he died he turned into the hammer (yes it was mjolnir) and had to recharge for a couple days), my maelephant druid, a disguised Drow assassin/servant of Lolth with a crossbow that made Green Arrow look like he had a toy bow made of plastic and fishing line and a few other random entities like that. For one battle scene (the Tanari army fight) we actually had a guest DM helping handle half the fight since it was so large.
We were fighting dragons and beholders by the dozens and laying waste to armies of men at a time. Good stuff.

You sound like my friend Phil when he DM's.

"Ok we are in a desert world and you start with no water. Con roll every hour or you die. No you cannot use your create water spell. It doesn't work in this world."

On to the playing via internet, we tried it once and no one was ever interested enough to go again. The couple guys were were not physically at the house with the others weren't paying much attention (which would be hard to do when you aren't there) andd the game just stunk.

You are welcome to try again however. Wink
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 Empty Re: It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post)

Post by Swedgin! Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:39 am

Yeah. I know it sounds like I'm a right bastard and a killjoy besides, but, honestly, I have found over the course of twenty-odd years DM'ing that players appreciate challenges greater than, Gee, I'm about to be encumbered by all my magic items and loot; I guess I have to go to the Kingdom Mart and pick up a Girdle of Strength, so I can heft that jewel-encrusted Trunk of Many Things AND my +8 Bastard Sword of Stone Giant Slaying, all at the same time, else I might have to spend a few kopecks hiring an Iron Giant as a page, which would inconvenience me no end.

I'm going the long way 'round to say, Players are able to do the most when they have the least.

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 Dungeon_Master_Profile
Not necessarily a self-portrait
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Donte77 Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:04 am

True but sometimes it is satisfying to be able to fly and use a breath weapon. Smile

In another long term campaign we played the bad guys. That was fun too. We liked killing goody goody two shoes.
Donte77
Donte77
Marv
Marv

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:58 am

Donte77 wrote:Hey SS do you have any Alan Moore Swamp Thing issues. If so, any good? I would love to read those but no one I know has ever read them.
i do.. if you're a fan of gaiman's Sandman series (or the Constantine mythology), you'll dig it.. personally, i find the swamp thing character a bit less interesting/profound than Moore presents him--but it's classic Moore nonetheless.. and there's some pretty amazing cameos throughout.. perhaps an acquired taste, but worth giving a chance for sure
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:01 am

numbersix_99 wrote:Didn't understand a word of your last post, Swedge. Sure you don't want to upgrade your dork status?
It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 CollegeNerds
INTRUDER ALERT!

ps. my thread has been hijacked by Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds!!!
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:04 am

SuperShaan wrote:2014 Smile
somebody put a stop to this! Shaan can't be the forum's best Moguler AND best pilot! all the girl will flock straight to him, ignoring this idle chat of Dungeons and Comics

1226 is the best i can muster for the moment.. but i'll top that..

advice for people who can't quite break the 500 mark--the helicopter drops much faster than it climbs, so i recommend hugging the ceiling and using the drop as your go-to evasive move.. also, the level generates randomly with each attempt--so there IS an element of luck involved.. on rare occasions, it'll generate an obstacle that is simply impossible to navigate
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Swedgin! Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 am

[M]y thread has been hijacked by Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds!!!
Hey, I resemble that remark.

...[A]ll the girl [my emphasis] will flock straight to him, ignoring this idle chat of Dungeons and Comics...
LOL! Telling remark, that... You hear that, Spannaus? becs is yours...

Besides, the really, really COOL girls PLAY Dungeons & DRAGONS [ahem], so, your premise is flawed, anyways.

...And there's always hope for the bedorked, anyway... Consider the following examples of thick, meaty, throbbing gaming maleness:

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 Riddick_225

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 Millhouse-simpsons-400a111306

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 100_1611

(I'm the one on the left, btw. Throbbing just 'cause I hurt my back.)

1226 is the best i can muster for the moment.. but i'll top that... [A]dvice for people who can't quite break the 500 mark--the helicopter drops much faster than it climbs, so i recommend hugging the ceiling and using the drop as your go-to evasive move.. also, the level generates randomly with each attempt--so there IS an element of luck involved.. on rare occasions, it'll generate an obstacle that is simply impossible to navigate
And he calls ME a "nerd". Pbbbt.

It is Official. All Your Board Is Belong To Us! (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love NSpan's 100th Post) - Page 2 192280-comic_book_guy_13018_large
Spannaus. An example to us all

Last edited by Swedgin! on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Swedgin!
Swedgin!
Oldboy
Oldboy

http://www.deadwood.org

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 am

Swedgin! wrote:And he calls ME a "nerd". Pbbbt.
lol. mostly that was just advice for the old codgers who still can't quite figure out this new-fangled non-dice-based "vidyergame" thing.
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by NSpan Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:48 am

arg. i got to 1786 and then Conan O'Brien had a sight-gag in one of the sketches and i had to look up... damn you conan... damn you to hell!

i imagine that this is the EXACT reason people pay the extra $10 a month for DVR
NSpan
NSpan
Borat
Borat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2